iPhone 7

Just got my iPhone 7 Plus yesterday from the Apple Store. So far its been really good. I like that it doesnt reload my apps at all.

Ehh... Often screens had plastic cover on top and dust went between it and the plastic window/cover but the display was not made of plastic.

Before the iPhone? They were absolutely plastic. Former repair tech here. The actual LCDs were glass, but that was A: before fused screens and B: because they pretty much have to be. Almost every single phone's display was plastic, and it felt like shit.

I remember how the iPhone's screen was originally going to be plastic, but Steve Jobs himself got frustrated with the scratches and insisted on switching everything to glass even though the launch was just a month or so away. It no doubt hurt availability, but probably helped the iPhone's fortunes over the long term. It certainly set a precedent.

I remember how the iPhone's screen was originally going to be plastic, but Steve Jobs himself got frustrated with the scratches and insisted on switching everything to glass even though the launch was just a month or so away. It no doubt hurt availability, but probably helped the iPhone's fortunes over the long term. It certainly set a precedent.
From Walter Isaacson's book, Steve Jobs went to Corning knowing their reputation for tableware Chemcor glass. Jobs then ordered a large amount of what became known as gorilla glass and gave Corning 6 months to make it happen. Weeks, the CEO of Corning, complained that it wasn't in production. And Jobs responded with something like, "Don't be afraid. Yes, you can do it. Get your mind around it. You can do it." Weeks said that, so in 6 months, they produced something that has never been made.

Last edited:
Going on almost a month with my 7 plus 256. Really happy with it overall. I STILL wish there was a headphone jack. I thought I would get over it and make the move to wireless, but I really like the wired headphones I have and I don't want to give them up. I bought a couple more adapters and thats fine, but even as someone who really like the iphone, I think they screwed up with this decision.

Any [H]ard Android users here that switched to the iPhone 7 or 7+ ? What are you thoughts overall ?

I'm in the process of switching. I SHOULD have received my 7 Plus this week, but my wife's HR dept fucked up and placed the ORDER today, so estimated delivery is 12/9. That being said, I've been using her 7 in the meantime.

Reddit apps on the iPhone blow compared to Android. The keyboard blows compared to Android. Notifications on iOS are laughably awful... Like, "how did they EVER get this bad?" type of awful. I keep trying to hit the back button. There's some definite stutters and freezes centered around searching the app store. I absolutely hate not having Nova Launcher and my usual setup of widgets.

Can't speak about battery life as it's not my daily driver. Had to pick up a new bluetooth dongle for my car to get it to play music and charge at the same time, AND will have to buy a cheap splitter connector for when I use it for music/charge at home.

All in all? I'm not very impressed. Some things are nice. If this was going up against Kit Kat? iOS would have been the way to go. Ever since MM, I think Android (At least stock or close to stock) beats it out, in not only customization but also design and UI/UX.

Apple is slipping, and resting on their very (VERY) profitable laurels. Hopefully with Samsung shitting the bed, a new OEM can step up and offer something close to stock, so the public sees what they've been missing. (Not going to happen)

Reddit apps on the iPhone blow compared to Android. The keyboard blows compared to Android. Notifications on iOS are laughably awful... Like, "how did they EVER get this bad?" type of awful. I keep trying to hit the back button. There's some definite stutters and freezes centered around searching the app store. I absolutely hate not having Nova Launcher and my usual setup of widgets.

Just curious how does the reddit app blow? They look the same to me at first glance, though admittedly I dont use the app and just browse through mobile. Unless you are talking third party? Theres no back button so yea thats pretty obvious. I guess I dont have an issue with it since the only android phone I use currently is my Z2 on marshmellow and I still prefer iOS. It just reads to me that you are so used to what you have used that anything will suck in comparison. UI/UX is really a preference.

As for lag I think theres a legitimate issue as I hear apple is addressing it in 10.1 and that people on beta 4 say animations are much faster.

Just curious how does the reddit app blow? They look the same to me at first glance, though admittedly I dont use the app and just browse through mobile. Unless you are talking third party? Theres no back button so yea thats pretty obvious. I guess I dont have an issue with it since the only android phone I use currently is my Z2 on marshmellow and I still prefer iOS. It just reads to me that you are so used to what you have used that anything will suck in comparison. UI/UX is really a preference.

As for lag I think theres a legitimate issue as I hear apple is addressing it in 10.1 and that people on beta 4 say animations are much faster.
I will never go back to android, not that the OS is bad not OEM bloat and app quality is terrible.

Getting used to iOS over Android took a little while, the lack of back button took a while to get used to. Over all I think gestures are better.

I will never go back to android, not that the OS is bad not OEM bloat and app quality is terrible.

Getting used to iOS over Android took a little while, the lack of back button took a while to get used to. Over all I think gestures are better.

I think I am going to drop Android all together myself. I would really like Apple to create a dual sim iphone now. But otherwise I am probably getting an iPhone 7 non plus to replace my Z2 for work. There is nothing I really ever did on my Z2 and android over the last 2 years that I couldnt do on my iPhone 6. The only reason I even keep a second phone is because I dont want people calling my personal # all the time.

I think I am going to drop Android all together myself. I would really like Apple to create a dual sim iphone now. But otherwise I am probably getting an iPhone 7 non plus to replace my Z2 for work. There is nothing I really ever did on my Z2 and android over the last 2 years that I couldnt do on my iPhone 6. The only reason I even keep a second phone is because I dont want people calling my personal # all the time.
Yea I have a 4S for that.

I thought they had dual sim variants?

Just curious how does the reddit app blow? They look the same to me at first glance, though admittedly I dont use the app and just browse through mobile.

Once you try Slide for Reddit, Boost For Reddit, Sync for Reddit (the three best, in descending order, imho) you can never go back. The official reddit app sucks, and mobile is pretty poor too, comparatively.

I'm in the process of switching. I SHOULD have received my 7 Plus this week, but my wife's HR dept fucked up and placed the ORDER today, so estimated delivery is 12/9. That being said, I've been using her 7 in the meantime.

Can't speak about battery life as it's not my daily driver. Had to pick up a new bluetooth dongle for my car to get it to play music and charge at the same time, AND will have to buy a cheap splitter connector for when I use it for music/charge at home.

All in all? I'm not very impressed. Some things are nice. If this was going up against Kit Kat? iOS would have been the way to go. Ever since MM, I think Android (At least stock or close to stock) beats it out, in not only customization but also design and UI/UX.

Apple is slipping, and resting on their very (VERY) profitable laurels. Hopefully with Samsung shitting the bed, a new OEM can step up and offer something close to stock, so the public sees what they've been missing. (Not going to happen)

Just use SwiftKey on the iPhone and swipe away.

Just turn the animations off. Kind of like going into developer settings in Android and reducing animation settings to 0.5x

Just turn the animations off. Kind of like going into developer settings in Android and reducing animation settings to 0.5x

Yea, personally it doesnt matter to me. I dont really notice as much as some people. I only notice when it hangs quite a bit like it used to on old android phones.

100% agree with everything you said.

What? No. Swiftkey is a bloated POS on Android now that ALSO leaks your info, and it's never been good on the iPhone. Never. Seriously, swiftkey is fucking awful.

Works fine for me on both Android and iOS 10. Had issues on IOS 9 but no issues with it that I have found with 10.

I am using swype on my iPhone 7 & was using it on my iPhone se as well.. No issues. Only complaint is I have to switch back to the stock keyboard for the voice to type.

Used swiftkey forever on android and iOS, no problems to report here. I stopped using it because it wasn't playing nice with the updated iMessage.

This iPhone enthusiast (3GS to 6+) never expected to agree with your statements, but I do, most enthusiastically. I spent 5 months with Android this year. Now that I'm back on iOS, I can't believe how much I miss that little green trash can looking guy. The only thing I like better on my 7+ is battery life. It's outstanding. But, iOS now feels like being on a mountain bike with permanent training wheels while stuck in mud. And, I got super spoiled by my HTC 10's touch sensor. That thing was so fast without ever having to depress the button.

I never thought I'd be so disappointed with the iPhone. Sadly, there aren't any Android phones that interest me, so I'm not very happy in smartphone land, these days.

Google's Gboard keyboard is pretty good on iOS. It even auto capitalize words like iOS and iPhone. Damn Google for knowing us so well!

Did not know about Gboard but downloaded it and am using now. Thanks!

Direct Google search and then the ability to paste info directly from there is awesome. Space bar as a track pad is a great idea and one I can see using frequently.

Gboard is also ForceTouch sensitive for moving around the cursor, just like the default. So this keyboard is easy to recommend to people used to the standard keyboard.

I like the additional smiley and gif search. I have to assume one day Google will integrate Google voice search or Assistant to it.

Gboard is also ForceTouch sensitive for moving around the cursor, just like the default. So this keyboard is easy to recommend to people used to the standard keyboard.

I like the additional smiley and gif search. I have to assume one day Google will integrate Google voice search or Assistant to it.

I did find out that it is 3D Touch compliant.

I don't use emojis, smileys or GIF's but can't find a way to turn the button off or it would have already been gone for me.

I was using reddit app on my HTC 10, holy shit bad compare to iOS version. It just awful and not intuitive at all.

Official reddit app for iOS, the Alien Blue is much better than the current rewrite one in my opinion, but still far better than Android counter part, not to mention the crash on android reddit is just stupid.

Keyboard on android is better? I think its subjective. Most people that I know who switch in between both phone, all prefer iOS keyboard over Android stock, especially most keyboard that takes a huge part of the screen for no apparently reason. Afraid of people mis-clicking or something.

UI/UX, I have to say iOS Apps have MUCH BETTER experience than Android on most part, and I haven't really found an App that is the opposite.

Google's Gboard keyboard is pretty good on iOS. It even auto capitalize words like iOS and iPhone. Damn Google for knowing us so well!
I didnt even know there was a google keyboard for iOS... I have to say I really like it thus far. Uninstalled swype after about 10 minutes of using gboard

I didnt even know there was a google keyboard for iOS... I have to say I really like it thus far. Uninstalled swype after about 10 minutes of using gboard
Same I'm giving gboard a shot, although I like the stock one too.

I got a iPhone 7 plus for work to replace my aging 5s... can't say I love it- in fact, I like my non-plus phone quite a bit better- it's just too big and you don't gain much from the huge size increase. The two cameras are cool, but it's a LOT of extra baggage just for the extra sensor.

I was using reddit app on my HTC 10, holy shit bad compare to iOS version. It just awful and not intuitive at all.

Official reddit app for iOS, the Alien Blue is much better than the current rewrite one in my opinion, but still far better than Android counter part, not to mention the crash on android reddit is just stupid.

Keyboard on android is better? I think its subjective. Most people that I know who switch in between both phone, all prefer iOS keyboard over Android stock, especially most keyboard that takes a huge part of the screen for no apparently reason. Afraid of people mis-clicking or something.

UI/UX, I have to say iOS Apps have MUCH BETTER experience than Android on most part, and I haven't really found an App that is the opposite.

The official Reddit app for android is just... I mean, you might as well slam your dick in a car door. It would be a LOT more enjoyable. As I said, Slide for Reddit is my personal favorite, but it's very close to what Boost and Sync offer on Android as well. I keep hearing great things about Alien Blue, but that doesn't mean fuck all, if you didn't buy it prior to being bought by Reddit and removed from the App Store. It's long gone for me now, so I can't speak for how good or bad it was.

The Keyboard on iOS just doesn't adapt well. How many ducking years do you have to ducking retype every ducking time you... Ahem... You get my point. Meanwhile, the Google keyboard knows exactly when I want to call someone a cuntweasel fuckstick, with no corrections after the first time. Granted, I probably say it a dozen times a day, but... I deal with stressful people. When Google changed their keyboard AI about... 2 years ago? It was a gamechanger. It's incredible now.

As for Keyboard screen real estate, it looks pretty similar to me:

http://tech.firstpost.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/Google-Keyboard-5.0-update.jpg

vs

http://media.bestofmicro.com/ext/aH...V2aWNlLTE0NzM4ODQwMjY5ODQuanBn/rc_600x450.jpg

As for UI/UX, I personally prefer the look of Material Design far more than what iOS is offering right now, but I WILL say that app UI (between the OS and 3rd party apps) is much more consistent throughout daily use.

I'm using the Google keyboard on my S7 and it works great. Best keyboard ever!

I got a iPhone 7 plus for work to replace my aging 5s... can't say I love it- in fact, I like my non-plus phone quite a bit better- it's just too big and you don't gain much from the huge size increase. The two cameras are cool, but it's a LOT of extra baggage just for the extra sensor.
Best thing about the 7+ is its battery life. Better than any iPhone or Android I've ever used.

Having the most technically advanced camera on my phone means nothing to me. I just want to take decent snapshots.

My honest assessment on the 7+ battery life is up and down. Some days my phone would be great under heavy use; and other days under what I thought would be similar usage, it goes down like crazy. But I think there's a battery drain curve. Such as the battery goes down slowly in the first 10% (between 90-100%), a little bit faster in the next 20% (between 70-90%), and then it goes down much faster under that. I dunno if this is scientifically accurate or not.

My honest assessment on the 7+ battery life is up and down. Some days my phone would be great under heavy use; and other days under what I thought would be similar usage, it goes down like crazy. But I think there's a battery drain curve. Such as the battery goes down slowly in the first 10% (between 90-100%), a little bit faster in the next 20% (between 70-90%), and then it goes down much faster under that. I dunno if this is scientifically accurate or not.

I've noticed this as well

I have noticed this on my iPhone 6 as well. I'm pretty sure Apple us doing sine trickery there.

You would think that Apple would have had all these things ironed out after using the same design for 3 years.

So I should stay away from the 32 GB model and make sure it is the Qualcomm version and not a first run to avoid the hissing?

I think I'll just stick with my 6s Plus and wait for the iPhone 8 Plus.

Study Shows Huge LTE Performance Differences Between Intel And Qualcomm Versions Of iPhone 7

https://www.google.com/amp/www.forb...intel-modem-apple-iphone-7/amp/?client=safari

I unfortunately have an Intel version... But the difference is whether the phone must support CDMA. Neither phones from AT&T or T-Mobile have Qualcomm. You have to buy the unlocked sim free model straight from Apple to get that Qualcomm model for AT&T or T-Mobile, but I'm not sure if voice over wifi etc would work.

How to Find Out If Your iPhone 7 Has Faster or Slower LTE Modem

Last edited:
Chang3d, it will work fine. They're literally the same phones, same software with different modems. Tons of people have been seeking out the US Unlocked version (aka Verizon/Qualcomm) to use on T-Mobile. I have mine arriving Monday, and can confirm with screenshots if you'd like.

From Walter Isaacson's book, Steve Jobs went to Corning knowing their reputation for tableware Chemcor glass. Jobs then ordered a large amount of what became known as gorilla glass and gave Corning 6 months to make it happen. Weeks, the CEO of Corning, complained that it wasn't in production. And Jobs responded with something like, "Don't be afraid. Yes, you can do it. Get your mind around it. You can do it." Weeks said that, so in 6 months, they produced something that has never been made.

I miss Steve, Apple has lost its Captain and its running on autopilot now.

Back