iPhone 7 Devices Hissing While Under Heavy Load

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
The iPhone 7’s first significant issue has reared its head: Owners are reporting a “white noise” or “hiss” coming from the device under load, which is rather strange for a phone. It is unknown whether this affects all devices or just a specific batch.

The general consensus is that the hiss is somehow related to the A10 Fusion processor due to the fact that it only emerges when the device is under heavy load and emanates from the general area where the processor lives. While the sound is similar to a laptop fan according to folks with the issue, the iPhone obviously doesn’t have any fans inside of it which is what makes this a head-scratcher. Given the fact that the iPhone is a relatively lower-power device, it’s unusual for it to make a sound like this outside of speaker noise.

I have a computer that does this. It actually makes a hissing sound when loading webpages and stuff. It has an SSD in it, so it's not a platter spinning.

It doesn't appear to affect anything, but I have no idea what it is or what the mechanic is.

I have a computer that does this. It actually makes a hissing sound when loading webpages and stuff. It has an SSD in it, so it's not a platter spinning.

It doesn't appear to affect anything, but I have no idea what it is or what the mechanic is.

If it's coming out of the speakers it's probably due to poor isolation of the audio section from the rest of the mb. I had to get a sound card because I could hear noise when I moved my usb mouse.

That and ps and/or gpu coil whine.

uh oh. imagine if every single iphone 7 was like this. The only thing worse is samsung's battery recall since hissing wouldn't qualify for recall

How many days until the first lawsuit? Didn't take long over the Note 7.

How many days until the first lawsuit? Didn't take long over the Note 7.
There's probably a lawyer somewhere that has his paperwork filled out with a bunch of blanks for cause. Just ready to send them in.

I hear a similar noise every time I see Donald Trump or Hilary Clinton on TV. In this case its me doing it so I doubt its the same cause. :D

I'm guessing it is the ram or ram controller... or maybe the flash memory.

I can hear most SSDs making noise when they are being accessed.

Pretty much every time I hear it on a computer I haven't heard it on before I initially think it may be a fan.

Some tick, some hiss, others do both.

I'm guessing it is the ram or ram controller... or maybe the flash memory.

I can hear most SSDs making noise when they are being accessed.

Pretty much every time I hear it on a computer I haven't heard it on before I initially think it may be a fan.

Some tick, some hiss, others do both.
I thought it was just something particular to my rig, cuz I can hear this high pitched light squeak. Rig sits right next to me.

Is the SSD noise in the phone getting amplified through the mic somehow?

It's just the sound of all the bullshit leaking out. Used to come out of the headphone jack, but...

This isn't the first major problem for it. The first was shitty design decisions.

Honestly I wouldn't own any of this years Top Android or iPhone handsets.

no no no, is going to be called some kind of 'gate, because every glitch or defect in an apple product is the result of some grand conspiracy/cover up.

I've seen power packages do this also when they sit and bounce of their internal temp limit.
Which if the case for a small subset of chips with varying yield qualities - a simple software fix could start throttling a degree or two sooner and resolve the issue. Not sure I understand the disdain for Apple here though, to each his own I guess.

That sound is caused by the the CPU trying to output audio to a non-existent headphone jack. :D

Back