iPhone 6 Bend In Your Pocket?

Seems to me that if you were engineering one of these Aloominium phones, and you didn't want it to bend up in people's pockets, then you could just add some tiny internal steel beams/posts down the sides without having any significant effect on the phone's weight, size, or cost.

Folks (for those who didn't bother reading the article) are claiming it's in their front pocket....

Roll on.

It's due to all the hipsters putting the phone in the front pocket of their tight skinny jeans.

/popcorn

Depends what kind of pocket. Jeans pocket I can easily see it, as they're tight arn't very forgiving especially when sitting down. Coat or dress pants pockets are more loose and have more room so the phone is not squished against your thigh.

This is not really an Apple issue.

I usually have my S3 (similar sized screen) in my front pocket for most the day. Sometimes in docker-type work pants and sometimes in my jeans pocket. Being in IT I spend a lot of time sitting at my desk, but also spend time crawling under desks, leaning over systems. etc. After over 2 years, the phone is still fine, no bending.

Seems like the cheap low quality Samsung plastic is more durable/stronger than the amazing high-end Apple aluminum.

Seems like the cheap low quality Samsung plastic is more durable/stronger than the amazing high-end Apple aluminum.

Metal phones just seem to attract that feeling of quality. I just got an HTC One M8 Windows phone about three weeks ago, unibody aluminum, first metal phone I've ever owned. But I've had several plastic unibody Nokia phones and I've dropped then several times, a few even on concrete and I think good plastic does have it's advantages over aluminum but it's not as attractive.

I have several keys on my ring that are bent just from being in my pocket. I had all kinds of problems with my S4 that where likely caused by stuff like this. And no I don't where tight jeans at all and my phone is usually on my desk. In fact my phone is usually in the "5th" pocket that doesn't get any force on it.

I want a new line of "tough" phones that for go some style and can take a hit.

What are you doing that you bend keys in your pocket? I've never bent a key in my life. If you can bend a key, then what phone stands a chance?

So wait... aluminum bends now?!?!

Only if you mill it too thin and cheaply to keep it from being able to resist the slightest bit of stress because you market your products as form over function.

VTSdHkZ.jpg

As far as Apple goes, same old, same old.

Only if you mill it too thin and cheaply to keep it from being able to resist the slightest bit of stress because you market your products as form over function.

*snip*

As far as Apple goes, same old, same old.

Lol. This is just too good. Lemme go find a picture of a destroyed Android phone and call them all cheap garbage. :rolleyes:

Lol. This is just too good. Lemme go find a picture of a destroyed Android phone and call them all cheap garbage. :rolleyes:

Oh look, another fanboy troll who doesn't know the difference between Android (an OS) and an iPhone (hardware).

Although it is rather telling that a $20 Android Tracfone IS more bend resistant than an iPhone.

This thread should give you a good laugh.

Go to the video, standard iDork.

omg, these hipsters and their skinny jeans, some of them look like the jeans are painted on, it's like wtf.

I have a nexus 4, significantly smaller screen, if I put that kind of pressure on the phone something would break.

I usually have my S3 (similar sized screen) in my front pocket for most the day. Sometimes in docker-type work pants and sometimes in my jeans pocket. Being in IT I spend a lot of time sitting at my desk, but also spend time crawling under desks, leaning over systems. etc. After over 2 years, the phone is still fine, no bending.

s3 = 4.8" screen
6+ = 5.5" screen

Not similar sized at all.

I have several keys on my ring that are bent just from being in my pocket. I had all kinds of problems with my S4 that where likely caused by stuff like this. And no I don't where tight jeans at all and my phone is usually on my desk. In fact my phone is usually in the "5th" pocket that doesn't get any force on it.

I want a new line of "tough" phones that for go some style and can take a hit.

I call bullshit on this.

I have a s4 that's been dropped at least 5 ttimes on concrete, thrashed around in a car crash, and yanked around when plugged into its USB port and it runs like a champ, even with my headset port cracked and plastic bits from the frame that the back cover protects is chipping off.

And I guarantee I wear the tightest jeans in this thread because I am a hipster, no s4 bending here.

Just admit that you're an iDork. It's OK.

Wow, even my $160 "no name" 5.7" FHD MTK6592 doesn't bend in my pocket. Apple apple apple...

I watched the video you posted...at least I think I did...did you post the video where the guy took both his thumbs and pressed them into the middle of back of the phone for a couple minutes, until his thumbs turned white, and then got he finally got a slight bend up toward the top where the buttons are cut out?

because that video, if that's the one you're referring to, should indicate pretty conclusively that a suit pocket wouldn't be able to do that to the phone before tearing...unless you're talking a suit of armor. I'm talking about a cloth suit, like a business suit. The kind people where when they have careers.

Properly fitted and tailored. You know, Big Boy pants.

Want to know how this is happening to apple? I have a HTC ONE M8 Its in my front pocket every second Im not using it. It doesnt bend. But Ido know how the iphones are. It people wearing jeans and kneeling down , or squatting, or bending at the knees to pick up or lift.

My put your phone in your front pocket and squat down and bend fully at the knees, youll see what I mean. Bottom line is Apple made the aluminium too thin and it lacks total rigidity. Design flaw. Apple is in a tail spin.

dont know why people are suggesting a case, a plastic case isn't going to add that much strength to an aluminum body, the body should have some reinforcing strips or gussets inside.... my m8 is aluminum and very rigid. by the looks of the video and pics the weak point is around the button cutouts which makes sense

apple needs to stop trying to go with the whole thin is in.. the 5 was fine , make the case a little stronger and with the extra space, extra battery capacity never hurt anyone

as for the "tight pants" idiots, i hike, hunt and fish sometimes in jeans and when you flex the legs a certain way crouching at times the amount of stress you can put on keys or your phone is pretty impressive, even more so if there is something in the pocket with the phone giving a fulcrum effect

Seems to me that if you were engineering one of these Aloominium phones, and you didn't want it to bend up in people's pockets, then you could just add some tiny internal steel beams/posts down the sides without having any significant effect on the phone's weight, size, or cost.
Apple could have thought different and used titanium or carbon fiber. Why Aluminum? Cause it's cheap as hell.

Jumping in at a late stage of the argument. Can somebody tell what the hell the point of having a thin and/or aluminum bodied phone is if the end user is just supposed to shove it into a very thick, usually plastic, case?!

Up until recently I always carried my un-cased phones in my front pocket with my wallet.

Then, I was playing around with an old billfold my grandfather had left to me and noticed that my S4 fit perfectly in one folds for bills, so now it's cash on one side and phone on the other. Phone still slides out bare when I use it though.

Jumping in at a late stage of the argument. Can somebody tell what the hell the point of having a thin and/or aluminum bodied phone is if the end user is just supposed to shove it into a very thick, usually plastic, case?!

Up until recently I always carried my un-cased phones in my front pocket with my wallet.

Then, I was playing around with an old billfold my grandfather had left to me and noticed that my S4 fit perfectly in one folds for bills, so now it's cash on one side and phone on the other. Phone still slides out bare when I use it though.
maybe so you can do whatever you want with it like you found out you could do with your S4?

I have a nexus 4, significantly smaller screen, if I put that kind of pressure on the phone something would break.

s3 = 4.8" screen
6+ = 5.5" screen

Not similar sized at all.

.7" difference. That makes the S3 12.7% smaller, not really that much.

Of course Apple also had this bending problem with previous models that had SMALLER screens than the S3, so I still see this as a design flaw.

Oh look, another fanboy troll who doesn't know the difference between Android (an OS) and an iPhone (hardware).

Although it is rather telling that a $20 Android Tracfone IS more bend resistant than an iPhone.

I love how you always have to resort to attacking the poster and calling them a fanboy if they don't agree with you. That said, seems I'll have to explain my post so you can understand. There is a reason why I said "Android phones". I didn't feel like singling out a single manufacturer because if you say Samsung there is going to be someone on this forum who goes crazy. I didn't feel like starting a silly flamewar. Android is an OS, Android phones are the phones that use this OS. Phones are made by Samsung, HTC, LG etc.

You posted some random picture of an iPhone 5 bent, which wasn't even an issue. There was like 1 article about that and I remember everyone going full retard and complaining, even though it wasn't a widespread issue. You can go ahead and make fun of the iPhone 6+ bending though, because that's an actual issue. Quite stupid that they didn't think of that.

I call bullshit on this.

I have a s4 that's been dropped at least 5 ttimes on concrete, thrashed around in a car crash, and yanked around when plugged into its USB port and it runs like a champ, even with my headset port cracked and plastic bits from the frame that the back cover protects is chipping off.

And I guarantee I wear the tightest jeans in this thread because I am a hipster, no s4 bending here.

That's because S4s don't bend they just break...

I have a Moto X (That's admittedly in a huge Otterbox) that has gone skidding done the road after jumping out of the mount on my bike. Gets dropped daily.

What case do you have on your S4 because if its in some giant case there is a difference. My S4 screen went twice. 1 time sitting on a table after being in my pocket. 2 pulled out of my pocket and screen was shot. Paid to get it fixed traded for a Moto X been a year with more abuse and it has been fine.

Phone was in the 5th pocket on my carpenter jeans.

What are you doing that you bend keys in your pocket? I've never bent a key in my life. If you can bend a key, then what phone stands a chance?

Anything but my S4 has been fine. It was mainly happening during my Desktop support days when I forced to wear a suit to work and crawl around under desks.....

I may just be biased because I've never owned a Samsung phone that I liked. My HTC and Motorola phones have been fine. I've had 3 Samsung's and they have all sucked. I shouldn't have to root a phone to make it usable.

I call bullshit on this.

I'm on my second S4. The first was never dropped or even violently shaken or twisted, yet the screen decided to crack and split from the inside out... though the frame didn't bend. Durability of the plastic frame or the glass never entered into it. Sometimes things just happen, but that this happening to even merely dozens or hundreds of people so soon after the i6's launch is a good indicator that Apple has cheapened the aluminum.

Compared to plastic, aluminum is "premium", but that doesn't mean there aren't other alloys which could have been used.
You would think with all of that liquidity, Apple would start to give actual premium products to their loyal customers.

But no! They want moar money.
I don't blame Apple for this though, the legions of their iTools and ignorant masses are what keeps them in business; blame them for this non-sense, they wanted it, they got it.

Pretty sure they are trying to push their cases more now. It would help with this issue. They might as well have made the phone a bit thicker.

Its "innovation" duh!
Doesn't matter because the LG G Flex didn't sell that great so the idea for bent phones belong to Apple!
So don't copy us copying someone else or we'll sue!

I'm on my second S4. The first was never dropped or even violently shaken or twisted, yet the screen decided to crack and split from the inside out... though the frame didn't bend. Durability of the plastic frame or the glass never entered into it. Sometimes things just happen, but that this happening to even merely dozens or hundreds of people so soon after the i6's launch is a good indicator that Apple has cheapened the aluminum.

That is what my Phone did. No visible damage but screen was toast.

I don't know if its so much of cheap Aluminum as the phone is so thin that is can't do much more than support its own weight.

I keep my HTC One M7 in my back pocket exclusively. Never had an issue, and of course no bends. It's a beast.

Pretty sure they are trying to push their cases more now. It would help with this issue. They might as well have made the phone a bit thicker.

This! A case should not be required with typical day to day wear. This includes sitting in your front pocket most of the day.

Yeah aluminum is soft, but its clearly a case of bad engineering.

And people have to stop talking about aluminum as if it's this one specific thing you just go to your local metal supplier and buy. There are thousands of different grades and alloys of aluminum. Could very well be the supplier of the aluminum unibodies cheaped out and made them from a weaker alloy than was specified. Or the could have used a heat-treatable alloy and pooched the heat treatment.

Back