• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Iphone 4 or Droid X?

Or you could always get a better computer. That is something that really bugs me. There are many people (I'm sure not from this forum) that get the latest gadgets (like the Iphone 4) but have a shitty pc from 2004. It bugs the hell out of me. Why skimp on your PC hardware?
To the OP: get the droid. I wouldn't get an Iphone. They're decent but I have a grudge against Apple. As a side note, even better, get the HTC Evo 4G

I'm curious why you would recommend the Evo over the Droid X. I have an Evo, and while I'm happy enough with it it's battery life is pretty atrocious. The Droid X has a better GPU and (supposedly) much better battery life.

As far as I know, the only thing the Evo has over the Droid X is the front-facing camera, which I've yet to use even once.

This is, of course, assuming you're carrier-agnostic.
 
If anyone else is reading this, then scp a tarball of your apps/data and untar it on the phone. Takes all of about 10 seconds.

Or

Use one of the app/data backup programs from Cydia (and/or iTunes/iTunes clone).



Blown may have found those two choices tedious, but getting my 3gs and 4g up and running after a jb update (which doesn't happen often) was less involved than rooting my friend's Droid.
I could rarely get those app backup programs to work and even when they did they only redownload the programs and you lose your data. They also don't help with programs that you have to manually add via SSH. There is no backup program for that. There seems to be some confusion here that a few of you aren't quite getting.
 
Just my personal opinion before starting a flame war:

I had an iPhone 2g for 1 year, then a 3g for 1 year, then went to a nexus one.

I lasted 6 months with that piece of crap and now have an iPhone 4 and I couldnt be happier...

What I liked on the n1/android:

Trackball notifications

Swappable memory/storage

What I hated:

Unresponsive buttons and touchscreen

Phone seemed really unstable

Flash ran good, but its a painful experience on a mobile phone (I now know why apple doesnt want it)

Applications are complete s**t, seriously...the top ten apps were like facebook and google earth and stuff like that... People may complain about apples rules but it really helps to filter the most crappy apps.

Rooting process was a pain in the a**, compared to jailbreaking, which is done in 5 secs and its "more illegal".

The system does not have unified volume controls, which seems really stupid to me, one for the ringer and one for the media apps. I would always think I lowered all the volume and when I opened an app volume would be at full.

The mute switch is a necessity in my opinion, although other android phones may have this, the n1 did not.

Too much crap going on the home screen, the iphone was simpler and that is all I needed. Like when I got a new message or lost call the icon would just stick on the homescreen and I would have to unlock and drag the bar down to see what it was.

Voice dial was not responsive and often misunderstood me, also it was not available in different languages at the time (I use english and spanish).

For some reason the maps application seemed way worse on the n1, which is odd considering its a google phone.

No unified system for backups, everytime I would flash I would loose most of my stuff. On my iphone I just sync with itunes and boom, all my apps are back instantly along with all my playlists and stuff.

Browser experience was painful, I coud not open new pages as easily as I could on the iphone.

Predictive character selection, which is SO STUPID, on the iphone you get a little magnifier when you need to select text, the n1 just ¨guessed¨ where my finger touched.

Copy paste seemed borked, it didnt work across all apps. Funny how people bitched about it for ages on the iphone, but they truly perfected it and works across the entire OS.

Painful mail app, again...odd how it is a google phone. I couldnt easily archive my messages to different sections like I did on my iPhone.

This one is also phone specific, but I hate micro usb... its not that smaller than mini usb. I didnt have spare cables laying around. The iphones 24 pin is propietary but its so universal now it doesnt really matter. But I think mini usb wouldve been fine.

Live wallpapers seemed like a nice feature but it made the phone considerably sluggier.

Whats with apps breaking accross different OS versions? I mean seriously? Thats the problem with having so many phones too... *this app may not work with your phone blah blah blah* *updated to work with froyo*
Those are all the ones I can think of right now. I really tried to give n1/android a chance but from an iphone perspective, to me...it just plain sucks.

Also, I know there are apps that may help with some of those problems but thats not the case, its about doing it right out of the box.


Oh and... in the 6 months I had my nexus one like....6 new "better" HTC phones came out. Apple has 1 per year, and they JUST discontinued 2g iphone support. I would like to see HTC supporting the nexus one in 3 years.....yeah right like that would ever happen
 
You lose a lot of credibility when one of your arguments is you hate microUSB because you didn't have cables for it and then call the Apple connector universal.
 
Personally, I would look at the HTC Incredible over the Droid X. The X is not all that. I played with both the Incredible and the X, here's my take:

Incredible is, indeed, incredible! Very snappy, I am loving the HTC Sense UI, and have no problems learning the phone quickly, and also typing on the keyboard. I went with an Eris beacuse of how cheap I got it, and my blackberry was taking a shitter. My next upgrade will definitely be an Incredible, hands down.

X: Not so good IMO. I noticed a ton of lag right off the bat, just even scrolling through the apps, and switching from different apps. I really think Motorola dropped the ball on this, just to compete with Sprint's Evo 4G. Not worth the money.
 
I went with the iphone 4 pretty much solely because of the apps, or more specifically games. Android and iOS differences are pretty small for my desired use. Both do a great job as a phone and gps (my main 2 needs). The iphone simple has better games for me to enjoy. And the iphone 4 is a great piece of hardware (along with many android phones).
 
You lose a lot of credibility when one of your arguments is you hate microUSB because you didn't have cables for it and then call the Apple connector universal.
I was thinking the same thing. He is right about a few things though. The copy/paste/predictive text selection on Android devices is a nightmare. Then there were a few things like syncing that he simply didn't feel like taking the time to figure out so he hated it. Google's sync process is lightyears ahead of Apple's. My favorite was the list of optional things like flash and live wallpapers that Apple doesn't have that he simply didn't like so having a system that doesn't even offer it as an option is somehow better.

The applications being complete shit cracks me up too, yes Marketplace is broken as a system in general but the apps are just as good (volume of real games excluded) as Apple's. What people get hung up on is their lack of visual appeal. That's a true sign of someone that actually uses apps and someone who likes shiny things and annoys all their friends by showing off apps they don't care about. It's hard to say that apps are crap when they all do the same damn thing. Every app I had on my iPhone I have on Android. The Android apps don't look as great but the functionality is exactly the same. Apple really has the app store figured out and Google needs to take a look at adopting a lot of their features and maybe they can get some love for it.

Obs is right about the games too, I do miss a few of my iPhone games but luckily the Developers are starting to make the switch and games are slowly trickling in. I think Froyo allowing apps to SD cards is going to be the catalyst.
 
I would say Evo or Epic. You can get both for $199 (Epic is $199 from Amazon) and they each have complimentary differences depending on your desires.
They're the same size (much larger than the iphone, though) while the Epic has a better GPU, the hardkeyboard, and SAMOLED screen and the Evo has a bit smaller footprint, SENSE UI, and a larger screen.
Of the two choices you provided, I would go with Droid X. Great performance, good battery life, and the only thing it's really missing is the front facing camera compared to the Iphone (i know, it also has a lower-res screen)
 
First of all I said it was only my opinion. Im no professional reviewer or anything.

You lose a lot of credibility when one of your arguments is you hate microUSB because you didn't have cables for it and then call the Apple connector universal.

I like it how you were probably reading that part and instantly stopped and said "oh I got this guy" and hit the reply button.

I meant to say that even though apples connector is propietary, its so old that even my toilet paper holder has a dock for it, my car has one, my alarm clock has one. Universal may be the wrong term but its so common that its really easy to find stuff thats compatible with it. However, that wasn't the main point. I said that MINI usb would have been better. Why? because for the past decade all portable devices (cameras mp3 players etc.) have had that port, everyone has at least a couple of cables for it. Micro usb on the other hand is still USB and its not that much smaller. Its the way of technology but an inconvenience nontheless.



Then there were a few things like syncing that he simply didn't feel like taking the time to figure out so he hated it. Google's sync process is lightyears ahead of Apple's. My favorite was the list of optional things like flash and live wallpapers that Apple doesn't have that he simply didn't like so having a system that doesn't even offer it as an option is somehow better.

The applications being complete shit cracks me up too, yes Marketplace is broken as a system in general but the apps are just as good (volume of real games excluded) as Apple's. What people get hung up on is their lack of visual appeal. That's a true sign of someone that actually uses apps and someone who likes shiny things and annoys all their friends by showing off apps they don't care about. It's hard to say that apps are crap when they all do the same damn thing. Every app I had on my iPhone I have on Android. The Android apps don't look as great but the functionality is exactly the same. Apple really has the app store figured out and Google needs to take a look at adopting a lot of their features and maybe they can get some love for it.

Obs is right about the games too, I do miss a few of my iPhone games but luckily the Developers are starting to make the switch and games are slowly trickling in. I think Froyo allowing apps to SD cards is going to be the catalyst.

You said it yourself, "he didnt take the time to figure it out"... Its always the same with android users "you just need to tweak this or install this or use this". Like most of people out there, we dont have the time to figure that kind of stuff out. If its not in the manual then why would we. Its not even in the android tour. Android users like to think they have a computer in their pockets, but forget to remember its a PHONE. I spend enough time figuring out stuff on my desktop computer.

On the application side, I won't get into it so much but come on. You said "looks" dont matter. To a lot of people they do. All iphone apps have a really similar interface, you open them and you know instantly how to use them. On android you have to figure out if you have to use the little dedicated menu drop down button or hit somewhere in the screen to access a menu etc. Consistency accross all apps is key.

Theres no intuition, they dont make use of the resources that are there on android (motion sensors).


Its fine really, its my opinion only. And I think that android is a decent phone for anyone whos never used a smartphone. For me? I'll stick to the apple experience.


Oh and I forgot about several customer services issues I had. To make it short I would go to htc and they would say "its a software issue call google"...google would say "its a hardware issue go to htc"....what a fun experience that was.
 
Last edited:
You said it yourself, "he didnt take the time to figure it out"... Its always the same with android users "you just need to tweak this or install this or use this". Like most of people out there, we dont have the time to figure that kind of stuff out. If its not in the manual then why would we. Its not even in the android tour. Android users like to think they have a computer in their pockets, but forget to remember its a PHONE. I spend enough time figuring out stuff on my desktop computer.
At one point iTunes was new too and you had to take a few seconds out of your precious day to figure that out. The manual that shipped with the iPhone was retarded and didn't mention anything about usage. Years later I was finding out all sorts of new ways to do things that I hadn't stumbled upon and that the manual failed to mention. I know, I know, shipping a product without a manual is magical and revolutionary and must mean that it's so easy they don't need one :rolleyes: Syncing your phone isn't rocket science. Compared to the hoops you have to jump through with iTunes syncing Android phones is cake. Not being married to a single iTunes install is great and with so many thing moving to cloud computing it's the future for good reason. Being different doesn't mean it sucks it just means that reformatting your computer that iTunes is handcuffed to became that much easier.

On the application side, I won't get into it so much but come on. You said "looks" dont matter. To a lot of people they do. All iphone apps have a really similar interface, you open them and you know instantly how to use them. On android you have to figure out if you have to use the little dedicated menu drop down button or hit somewhere in the screen to access a menu etc. Consistency accross all apps is key.
The funny part about that is that they do work the same and most apps have the same interface. They are consistent but what's frying your brain is that they either look different or work ever so slighly different than what you're used to, an iPhone. Forza droid for instance has the same functionality but the two programs look different. Just because the iphone app has a colorful banner and a nifty carbon fiber background it's apparently better :rolleyes::
ForzaiPhone.jpg

ForzaDroid.png


The next step for you now is to complain that Windows, Android, etc, etc, are all copying the iPhone and then turn around and tell us how they all suck because they don't look and work exactly like one :rolleyes:

Theres no intuition, they dont make use of the resources that are there on android (motion sensors).
Really? Because a ton of my apps make great use of the motion sensors, I used one two minutes ago that had a shake to clear function. This intuition argument Apple users like to throw out is garbage too. Let's say I want to turn on bluetooth....both phones have slider menus with a toggle and both can be accessed via a settings menu. Any app on either phone can be accessed with the touch of an icon and for the most part I find the general navigation experience of both phones to be identical. The difference being that Android gives me the option to change that experience should I see a need.

Tech has a funny way of bringing the stupidity out in people. Most users are used to hitting the power button, logging in, and hitting a blue "e" with the words 'internet' below it to get on the internet. Change that blue "e" with a Chrome symbol that says 'internet' below it and they have no clue how to access the internet. Nothing about the process has changed but to them the new process sucks for no other reason that it's ever so slightly different. If you added the following prompt, “Are you sure you want to access the internet? Yes/No” people would freak the hell out because the internet wasn't up after clicking the icon. I can't count the number of iPhone users I've given my phone to who can't figure out how to access the internet despite the fact that one of the 12 icons on the home screen clearly says INTERNET under it. I should change the icon to a safari symbol and put it in the doc so they think my phone isn't a useless piece of garbage :rolleyes:


Its fine really, its my opinion only. And I think that android is a decent phone for anyone whos never used a smartphone. For me? I'll stick to the apple experience.
My first smartphone was an iPhone FYI, I replaced it with a Vibrant. You complain about the interface but you obviously didn't change it because one of the options is to have an iPhone like interface. All you had to do was care enough organize apps and figure one or two buttons out :rolleyes:

“Bluetooth isn't supported” or “I had to learn command line” seem reasonable to me but things like “They moved the 'settings' icon from the right side of the screen to the left” is absurd (metaphorically speaking).
 
At one point iTunes was new too and you had to take a few seconds out of your precious day to figure that out. The manual that shipped with the iPhone was retarded and didn't mention anything about usage. Years later I was finding out all sorts of new ways to do things that I hadn't stumbled upon and that the manual failed to mention. I know, I know, shipping a product without a manual is magical and revolutionary and must mean that it's so easy they don't need one :rolleyes: Syncing your phone isn't rocket science. Compared to the hoops you have to jump through with iTunes syncing Android phones is cake. Not being married to a single iTunes install is great and with so many thing moving to cloud computing it's the future for good reason. Being different doesn't mean it sucks it just means that reformatting your computer that iTunes is handcuffed to became that much easier.

The funny part about that is that they do work the same and most apps have the same interface. They are consistent but what's frying your brain is that they either look different or work ever so slighly different than what you're used to, an iPhone. Forza droid for instance has the same functionality but the two programs look different. Just because the iphone app has a colorful banner and a nifty carbon fiber background it's apparently better :rolleyes::
ForzaiPhone.jpg

ForzaDroid.png


The next step for you now is to complain that Windows, Android, etc, etc, are all copying the iPhone and then turn around and tell us how they all suck because they don't look and work exactly like one :rolleyes:

Really? Because a ton of my apps make great use of the motion sensors, I used one two minutes ago that had a shake to clear function. This intuition argument Apple users like to throw out is garbage too. Let's say I want to turn on bluetooth....both phones have slider menus with a toggle and both can be accessed via a settings menu. Any app on either phone can be accessed with the touch of an icon and for the most part I find the general navigation experience of both phones to be identical. The difference being that Android gives me the option to change that experience should I see a need.

Tech has a funny way of bringing the stupidity out in people. Most users are used to hitting the power button, logging in, and hitting a blue "e" with the words 'internet' below it to get on the internet. Change that blue "e" with a Chrome symbol that says 'internet' below it and they have no clue how to access the internet. Nothing about the process has changed but to them the new process sucks for no other reason that it's ever so slightly different. If you added the following prompt, “Are you sure you want to access the internet? Yes/No” people would freak the hell out because the internet wasn't up after clicking the icon. I can't count the number of iPhone users I've given my phone to who can't figure out how to access the internet despite the fact that one of the 12 icons on the home screen clearly says INTERNET under it. I should change the icon to a safari symbol and put it in the doc so they think my phone isn't a useless piece of garbage :rolleyes:



My first smartphone was an iPhone FYI, I replaced it with a Vibrant. You complain about the interface but you obviously didn't change it because one of the options is to have an iPhone like interface. All you had to do was care enough organize apps and figure one or two buttons out :rolleyes:

“Bluetooth isn't supported” or “I had to learn command line” seem reasonable to me but things like “They moved the 'settings' icon from the right side of the screen to the left” is absurd (metaphorically speaking).


I hate quoting steve jobs...but, they are just phones dude.

I cant state enough its just my personal opinion

o·pin·ion   [uh-pin-yuhn] Show IPA
–noun
1.
a belief or judgment that rests on grounds insufficient to produce complete certainty.
2.
a personal view, attitude, or appraisal.

Cheers
 
Just to fuel the fire and with regard to the title's question...iPhone 4 for me. DROID X is just too flipping big and thin. It's all kinds of awkward to hold.
 
So I have been looking around after I saw my friends Droid X, I currently have a iPhone 3g, and was about to purchase and get the iPhone4. But I am torn, currently I am grandfathered in for unlimited, but I really don't use that much bandwidth monthly.

If I get into Verizon now and I am grandfathered in that would be amazing. I love the fact that the built in GPS on the droid, I really need to get a Garmin or something, google maps on my iphone has placed me in some strange places. From what I have seen on the DriodX is great. I love the interface, love the look, directional maps turn by turn is great.

Having a device act as multiple functions is what a smartphone really is. Phone, GPS, PC, Gaming, Multimedia. Both phones do the same thing, some better then others.

One thing that is seesawing me towards the DroidX is the ease of music/file transfer, no more itunes to put my music and files on my phone.

Im sure I will sit and read and wait and never upgrade....
 
Steve Jobs, in his recent D8 interview, admitted that the tie to iTunes is getting old, and he wants Apple to come up w/ a "cloud" solution. However, a transition away from iTunes will be difficult. I'm actually torn about iTunes because it is very convenient for getting my podcasts, apps, etc. But, for music, I agree, it's not so great.
 
So I have been looking around after I saw my friends Droid X, I currently have a iPhone 3g, and was about to purchase and get the iPhone4. But I am torn, currently I am grandfathered in for unlimited, but I really don't use that much bandwidth monthly.

If I get into Verizon now and I am grandfathered in that would be amazing. I love the fact that the built in GPS on the droid, I really need to get a Garmin or something, google maps on my iphone has placed me in some strange places. From what I have seen on the DriodX is great. I love the interface, love the look, directional maps turn by turn is great.

Having a device act as multiple functions is what a smartphone really is. Phone, GPS, PC, Gaming, Multimedia. Both phones do the same thing, some better then others.

One thing that is seesawing me towards the DroidX is the ease of music/file transfer, no more itunes to put my music and files on my phone.

Im sure I will sit and read and wait and never upgrade....

I just downloaded iSYNCr to my DroidX and I can easily transfer playlists from the iTunes on my PC to the Droid....took all of two minutes.....simple instructions and it just works.
I really like my Droid, had it for about two weeks now, nothing to complain about, except maybe the size, it's fucking huge.:eek:
 
I just downloaded iSYNCr to my DroidX and I can easily transfer playlists from the iTunes on my PC to the Droid....took all of two minutes.....simple instructions and it just works.
I really like my Droid, had it for about two weeks now, nothing to complain about, except maybe the size, it's fucking huge.:eek:

The Droid X will be a good phone to learn on, and in a couple years you'll be able to transition into an iPhone 5 or 6. :)
 
Last edited:
The Droid X will be a good phone to learn on, and in a couple years you'll be able to transition into an iPhone 5 or 6. :)

No thanks.....I'd use a tin can and a string before I bought an iPhone..............:eek:
 
Why I chose the Iphone 4 over (Insert Android device here);

The display. Yes, it is not as large as the EVO's. That said, it looks absolutely incredible.

The interface. iOS devices just seem to run so much smoother when going through menus, and doing just about everything else. I hate this line but - ' It just works '

It's an iPod. This is -very- important for some people. The bottom line is that the iPhones still work just like an iPod does, and they work with ALL the supporting accessories out there. My car has an iPod connector for the music. I have an iPod stereo dock. Etc..

It looks/feels better. My personal opinion is that the iPhone (Like most Apple products) have superior case design. The iPhone 4 feels very very sturdy. Being glass on both sides is cool as well. Granted, it can crack easier - But it isn't going to scratch, and it looks cool. A phone is something you use quite often. It's not like a homebuilt computer that you can build with a cardboard case and stick under your desk.

Games. The iPhone has a larger selection, and it has higher quality games. I don't really need to explain this one. If you like gaming on your phone the iPhone is the winner by a large amount. Android devices may get there eventually - But *right now* the games just aren't as good. Android doesn't have Chinatown Wars. Android doesn't have Rolando's. No awesome point and clicks like the remastered Monkey Islands, Broken Sword, and Steel Sky. Android doesn't have the -full- support of id software. If I had an Android phone i'd have to go out and buy a Nintendo DS so I could have a decent gaming device. Android does have emulators - But the iPhone does as well if you jailbreak it. (Which as other users pointed out is as easy as going to a webpage and sliding a button.)

And the most important one -

The iPhone 4's battery life absolutely destroys every other competing smartphone out there. Compared to the EVO (Which was also tested in 3G mode, not the more power hungry 4G mode) it has twice the battery life in 3G mode when browsing the web, and talk time. (8 hours vs 4) I can use the iPhone 4 at work, and at play all day/night and it still has battery life left for your typical usage. I'd have to charge the EVO up. And while you may be able to buy an extra battery since the android devices have an easier to swap battery; That is stupid. Having to carry an extra battery around to swap out half-way through the day is dumb. I'd rather have the device that works all day and night on a single charge anyways. This may not be a problem for other people, but for people like me it is. Besides that, when i'm in my car I can quick plug it into the iPod connector and charge my phone while playing music off of it while having full control through the stereo itself anyways. This really is a big thing for me personally. If I bought an Android phone I wouldn't be able to do this. I'd have to pick up the Android phone and select songs off of it and ruin my focus driving, along with having to screw around with the 3.5mm stereo cable, and power cable. For the iPod/iPhone it is a single cable I plug in, it starts charging, and then using the controls on my steering wheel I can scroll through all the songs on my phone easily without ever having to touch the phone again. Big deal for me. I can't stress this enough. I'm a car guy.

I'm by no means an Apple fan. The only devices that I think they did good with are the iPod/iPhone/iPad. Everything else of theirs I think is overpriced crap. That said, the 'Apple Philosophy' of basically selling a device that 'just works' works incredibly well for the phone/mobile device market.

I will say that if I couldn't grandfather in my old Unlimited data plan on ATT then I probably would have moved to a different carrier. Even then, if you know someone with a 2G iPhone, you can bug the ATT system out and use the 2G iPhone to enable the unlimited data plan on your account if you don't have it allready.

To touch on the iPad, I thought it was really stupid at first and it makes no sense as I own an iPhone 4 allready - But when I really started to look at it, it looks awesome. I'd love to have an easy to use larger screened device to let me easily jerk off in bed with. Seriously. The iPad is an amazing sit around and jerk off device.
 
Last edited:
i ended up buying Droid X simply because of att data plan
This is my first week of using it..
all of my friends have iphone 4 and having playing around with both phones i must say iphone 4 is better by overall..

I do like the X larger screen and android home screen is better than iphone because it's more customizable etc..

for whatever reason the X can be sluggish sometimes even with all apps closed
the 8mp camera is less better than 5mb iphone..this is really weird I was holding it side by side the iphone4 image is much better..


the X crashes randomly on me while playing with apps .. and battery life is well maybe i play on it too much I have to charge it twice a day even with screen display brightness set to lowest
It doesn't work very good with my wifi at home (linksys router)
I hope v2.2 will improve this
 
A+ thread.

Anyone who has used a Droid X and says its too laggy is misinformed. There are 2 possible reasons for this. Reason one is that it ships with (and is still set like this in stores) the battery profile in one of 2 "saver" modes. Great if you want your battery to last for 8 days, shit if you want your phone to run smooth. Performance mode still offers great battery life. Reason 2, the phone is borked. Plain and simple. The Droid X is not laggy in any way. The only time I see any sort of lagginess is when I open the app drawer, but there are 36 icons being displayed, so Ill go with it.

Also, why is the EVO being compared in this thread at all? Comparatively the EVO kind of sucks (no offense to you EVO users, but its just not as good as the ip4 or the DX) in the battery and screen areas.

Im not sure where any of the information in this thread is coming from, but the X consitantly beats out the Galaxy S series as well as far as all-around benchmark-able power goes. The AMOLED is nice, but even then in terms of true to life calibration its far to oversaturated and the color accuracy is normally pretty far off. The Incredibles AMOLED is also limited to 16 bit color, where as the ip4 and the DX are both 24 bit.

You can read all about this here also. The Galaxy S wasn't out at the time but they did improve the brightness and it is a 24 bit display.

If you are even remotely savvy you can do whatever you wish with the X. Root is easily obtained through a Windows based GUI that you literally just click a button that says "ROOT". A leaked version of 2.2 is already making its way around, and its fantastic. The volume problem is fixed, for the most part. It could still be louder but its a lot better.

Also if you cant figure out all the great quirks to the PC sync mode, thats just ridiculous. Its blatantly obvious through the windows GUI alone.

Also, just for reference I have owned a Droid 1, Droid Incredible, Droid Eris and now the Droid X. I had an EVO for about 3 weeks and have been playing with my friends Vibrant a good amount for the past week.

All of the Android phones I've owned or used have there pro's and cons, but The X is definitely the best of the bunch currently, if you don't mind the large form factor.
 
i ended up buying Droid X simply because of att data plan
This is my first week of using it..
all of my friends have iphone 4 and having playing around with both phones i must say iphone 4 is better by overall..

I do like the X larger screen and android home screen is better than iphone because it's more customizable etc..

for whatever reason the X can be sluggish sometimes even with all apps closed
the 8mp camera is less better than 5mb iphone..this is really weird I was holding it side by side the iphone4 image is much better..


the X crashes randomly on me while playing with apps .. and battery life is well maybe i play on it too much I have to charge it twice a day even with screen display brightness set to lowest
It doesn't work very good with my wifi at home (linksys router)
I hope v2.2 will improve this

I agree the X's camera is a bit depressing. Any apps in particular that are crashing? I dont have that problem at all. There were a few apps I used that needed to be updated to work on the X but they were and now they are fine.

Set your brightness to auto. Thats odd that your battery life is so bad. Another thing that could help if it continues is rooting and using SetCPU. You can use it to set profiles that will put your phone into lower CPU speed states when the screen is off. I have mine set to 1ghz max and min at all times, 300 max and min with the screen off. My battery lasts me easily all day. I unplugged mine this morning at 7am and its now 12:22 and im at 40%.
 
The iPhone 4's battery life absolutely destroys every other competing smartphone out there.
The 2nd DROID gets pretty stellar battery life. The Incredible before it...not so much. Remember, Apple's on IOS4 while Android's on essentially 2.0. Perhaps around 3.0, they'll stop the GUI from spazzing out @ random times. :D W/ any luck 4.0 will give us multitasking w/ API's in 2012.

...I have owned a Droid 1, Droid Incredible, Droid Eris and now the Droid X. I had an EVO...playing with my friends Vibrant...X is definitely the best of the bunch currently...
Now that we've got a full tilt Android on CDMA vs iPhone 4 thread going, I'm going to bust it open further.

I went from Storm 1-->Tour-->DROID-->Eris-->Pre-->Incredible-->DROID 2. So I think maybe we can relate well w/ comparisons. First off, the DROID 2 is the 1st of all of these I'm content with. Maybe it's Froyo, maybe it's the growed up DROID, prolly a bit of both. I skipped right over the DROID X because well...it's just too big for my fingers. Reaching the noti bar w/ one hand hurts. Sort of reminds me of my numb right hand/palm area after typing on the original DROID for more than 1 minute. Friend had one, so I got to check it out wo/ the restock fee. I should probably do that more often.

That said, I'm really interested in the Fascinate. I spent some time w/ the Captivate (awesome build quality) and the Vibrant (wtf...toy?) today. Here's what I came away with...

-didnt seem to get too warm
-very lightweight
-perfect size and formfactor
-solid but still plastic shell(Vibrant) / solid and what seemed to be metal(Captivate)
-very responsive screen, more so than even the Incredible or the new Moto's
-browser gui snappier than D2, pinch to zoom, tap to center and realign, up, and down...fast and smooth
-speaker not as loud as D2, but acceptable
-Touchwiz is lame and needs to GTFO, why can't we just have our desert and decide on our OWN toppings?
-Pixels front and center :-( its no iphone or droid for that matter (text clarity/sharpness)
-color pretttttty, inky blacks, light coming from the display seems easier on the eyes than a typical LCD (I find plasmas much more relaxing to view as well)
-bottom 4 buttons sometimes don't respond on first tap (Captivate)
-side power button rocks
-screen glass slick and doesn't stick when finger fapping



The outstanding GPS issue, txt detail/sharpness(ppi), and lack of physical keyboard are the big ones for me. So what exactly don't you care for on the Sammy Doubl3KiLL? The big gaping holes in the matrix? The Incredible had that too and I still found reading on that easier than the original DROID, probably because of the type of light being emitted.

TL;DR Jod wants a Fascinate...w/ a higher ppi. But...is happy w/ the D2 and it's MUCH improved keyboard...AND battery life!
 
The 2nd DROID gets pretty stellar battery life. The Incredible before it...not so much. Remember, Apple's on IOS4 while Android's on essentially 2.0. Perhaps around 3.0, they'll stop the GUI from spazzing out @ random times. :D W/ any luck 4.0 will give us multitasking w/ API's in 2012.


Now that we've got a full tilt Android on CDMA vs iPhone 4 thread going, I'm going to bust it open further.

I went from Storm 1-->Tour-->DROID-->Eris-->Pre-->Incredible-->DROID 2. So I think maybe we can relate well w/ comparisons. First off, the DROID 2 is the 1st of all of these I'm content with. Maybe it's Froyo, maybe it's the growed up DROID, prolly a bit of both. I skipped right over the DROID X because well...it's just too big for my fingers. Reaching the noti bar w/ one hand hurts. Sort of reminds me of my numb right hand/palm area after typing on the original DROID for more than 1 minute. Friend had one, so I got to check it out wo/ the restock fee. I should probably do that more often.

That said, I'm really interested in the Fascinate. I spent some time w/ the Captivate (awesome build quality) and the Vibrant (wtf...toy?) today. Here's what I came away with...

-didnt seem to get too warm
-very lightweight
-perfect size and formfactor
-solid but still plastic shell(Vibrant) / solid and what seemed to be metal(Captivate)
-very responsive screen, more so than even the Incredible or the new Moto's
-browser gui snappier than D2, pinch to zoom, tap to center and realign, up, and down...fast and smooth
-speaker not as loud as D2, but acceptable
-Touchwiz is lame and needs to GTFO, why can't we just have our desert and decide on our OWN toppings?
-Pixels front and center :-( its no iphone or droid for that matter (text clarity/sharpness)
-color pretttttty, inky blacks, light coming from the display seems easier on the eyes than a typical LCD (I find plasmas much more relaxing to view as well)
-bottom 4 buttons sometimes don't respond on first tap (Captivate)
-side power button rocks
-screen glass slick and doesn't stick when finger fapping



The outstanding GPS issue, txt detail/sharpness(ppi), and lack of physical keyboard are the big ones for me. So what exactly don't you care for on the Sammy Doubl3KiLL? The big gaping holes in the matrix? The Incredible had that too and I still found reading on that easier than the original DROID, probably because of the type of light being emitted.

TL;DR Jod wants a Fascinate...w/ a higher ppi. But...is happy w/ the D2 and it's MUCH improved keyboard...AND battery life!

Its not that I don't care for it, in fact I thought it was pretty nice. One factor is that I like Motorola. Through all the phones Ive had I've come to be pretty comfortable with how they set everything up and the layout. I'm not a big fan of the pseudo blur on the X but thats all removable.

There were a few times when my X irked me a bit, but when 2.2 was leaked all that was gone, and there really isn't anything I don't like about it anymore. The screen size isn't an issue for my bear paws at all, I feel very comfortable using it with one hand. The screen is spot on, I think everything looks perfect on it, where as the colors on the AMOLED's still look too saturated to me. The black levels are drool worthy thats for sure.

I've heard some people say that the X's screen isn't very responsive. I'm not sure what the issue is but mine is incredibly responsive. There are times when I swear my finger didn't even make it to the screen and it picked up on it. Moving things about is totally 1:1, I've not had any problems with the screen at all.
 
I'm not a big fan of the pseudo blur on the X but thats all removable.
I sure wish I could uninstall all those POS apps! I've caught some of them like Skype eating up 25 megs!
The black levels are drool worthy thats for sure.
So long as you're browsing hardforum. Fire up Engadget and watch the battery catch fire! :D
I've heard some people say that the X's screen isn't very responsive.
This is actually the reason I decided against it. Granted it was a store display, but it was laughingly off. It felt like DROID 1 all over again. Then I used a friends and didn't notice anything unusual. It's kind of like the DROID 2's wacky signal problems. Mine flips out and I get super slow data all day long. Engadget had issues w/ all 3 of them, yet other sites and folks have no problems. Software, hardware, who knows?
 
hmm reading some of these problems maybe I should not have recommended my friend to get a droid x... Its on backorder for him anyways and he can still cancel it. Is the Droid 2 or Droid X better?
 
It really depends. If you've got big hands and don't mind the size and can live without a physical keyboard, my vote would go to the X. Best thing to do IMO is get some really good hands on time. Friends are best, stores if you have to.

Rep: The DROID 2 has an all new and improved keyboard that will make you a superstar!
Me: Cool, how do I slide it out?
Rep: For security reasons we are unable to allow customers access to the keyboard.
Me: O...K... :confused:

My local shop has freakin' zipties around the phones. I mean...on a slider? Really?
 
hmm reading some of these problems maybe I should not have recommended my friend to get a droid x... Its on backorder for him anyways and he can still cancel it. Is the Droid 2 or Droid X better?

I haven't had any problems with mine and all the complaints I've read (aside from the camera) make me go 'Huh?' - I haven't had any of the issues some people are complaining about and neither have the people I know who have the X.
 
A+ thread.

Anyone who has used a Droid X and says its too laggy is misinformed. There are 2 possible reasons for this. Reason one is that it ships with (and is still set like this in stores) the battery profile in one of 2 "saver" modes. Great if you want your battery to last for 8 days, shit if you want your phone to run smooth. Performance mode still offers great battery life. Reason 2, the phone is borked. Plain and simple. The Droid X is not laggy in any way. The only time I see any sort of lagginess is when I open the app drawer, but there are 36 icons being displayed, so Ill go with it.

Also, why is the EVO being compared in this thread at all? Comparatively the EVO kind of sucks (no offense to you EVO users, but its just not as good as the ip4 or the DX) in the battery and screen areas.

Im not sure where any of the information in this thread is coming from, but the X consitantly beats out the Galaxy S series as well as far as all-around benchmark-able power goes. The AMOLED is nice, but even then in terms of true to life calibration its far to oversaturated and the color accuracy is normally pretty far off. The Incredibles AMOLED is also limited to 16 bit color, where as the ip4 and the DX are both 24 bit.

You can read all about this here also. The Galaxy S wasn't out at the time but they did improve the brightness and it is a 24 bit display.

If you are even remotely savvy you can do whatever you wish with the X. Root is easily obtained through a Windows based GUI that you literally just click a button that says "ROOT". A leaked version of 2.2 is already making its way around, and its fantastic. The volume problem is fixed, for the most part. It could still be louder but its a lot better.

Also if you cant figure out all the great quirks to the PC sync mode, thats just ridiculous. Its blatantly obvious through the windows GUI alone.

Also, just for reference I have owned a Droid 1, Droid Incredible, Droid Eris and now the Droid X. I had an EVO for about 3 weeks and have been playing with my friends Vibrant a good amount for the past week.

All of the Android phones I've owned or used have there pro's and cons, but The X is definitely the best of the bunch currently, if you don't mind the large form factor.

misinformed? No, I'm speaking from my own experience with this phone so far
the crashing problem are with these games bonsai blast, bubble burst, papijump, slot machine..that's all i have on this phone so far downloaded apps

It doesn't crash every time i play these games..only sometimes

The google navigation is really nice and i shown it off last night to friends
First of all the update on new roads is amazing! it picked up a new exit was just opened last month
The street view is really amazing and fast
The gps like the arrow following the route is a lil slow comparing to my tomtom xl one
I went clubbing last night in downtown Cincinnati using this gps, and I got there no problem except on my way back the gps quit working..
Basically, the arrow stopped moving so I turned the navi app off and turn it back on ..over and over again it never lock on to the gps

finally i rebooted the phone it locked on right away :eek: yeah my friends were laughing at me :mad:


so far that's all the problem I have with it
If you ask me do I like the phone..heck yeah i do.. I really enjoy playing with it
If i have to pick again, i would still pick droid X over Iphone4 simply because I think it's more fun and i really like a large screen size
I cant stand the iphone screen size

I just wish it's NOT buggy
 
Last edited:
omg omg omg droid all the fucking way. why is this even a question? wait till Q1 of next year and get something with a dual core snapdragon.
 
i wouldn't hold my breath on dual core snapdragon.
The GPU is still going to be crap.
Wait for Moto and a 2ghz OMAP CPU or see what Samsung has up their sleeves to replace the Galaxy S if you're waiting for Q1 11'.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Epic..
 
So I got my Droid this weekend. Coming from a iPhone 3G on 3.1.3. Below are my thoughts between the two phones.

App store is great, no problem finding apps to fill my needs. Was worried about this based on feedback.
Huge Fucking screen. Insane, awesome, zomg how did I live without. Foot print isn't much larger than the iphone, especially considering the screen size.
Speaker is good for a cell phone, max volume is better than my iPhone 3G.
It's Fast. Very snappy.
Customizeable, settings for everything. The settings you wanted to be able to change, now you can.
Overall just new phone awesomeness.
 
Back
Top