iPhone 12

CHANG3D

Supreme [H]ardness
iPhone 12 Mini starts at $699 (64 GB, 2 rear camera sensors)
iPhone 12 starts at $799 (64 GB, 2 rear camera sensors)
iPhone 12 Pro starts at $999 (128GB, 3 rear camera sensors)
iPhone 12 Max starts at $1099 (128GB, 3 rear camera sensors)

All will have 5nm A14 (50% faster than A13) and 5G
All will have “MagSafe” wireless charging

the rest is marketing I don’t care much about...

That iPhone 12 mini and iPhone 12 is making the Google Pixel 5 at $699 look really stupid

Last edited:
I will say the build and design is beautiful, Apple does make a good looking device, even though I hate notches.

The camera is supposed to be amazing, wonder how it stacks up against the Pixel 5 in Portrait mode?

I'm not an iOS fan, but the iPhone 12 Pro is a killer smartphone, no question it looks to be great

I will say the build and design is beautiful, Apple does make a good looking device, even though I hate notches.

The camera is supposed to be amazing, wonder how it stacks up against the Pixel 5 in Portrait mode?

I'm not an iOS fan, but the iPhone 12 Pro is a killer smartphone, no question it looks to be great
Question is how does the Pixel 5 video stacks up to IPhone 7? oh, it still doesn’t... XD

note: I exaggerate...

Last edited:
Pixel video has always been crap, but whatever, for me, I rarely ever take videos. Portrait camera shots are my most used 24/7 all the time.

So if videos are your thing, don't buy a Pixel, it sucks for videos. But for still photos the Pixel is king or maybe the iPhone 12 Pro will match the Pixel 5 Portrait mode quality now?

Pixel video has always been crap, but whatever, for me, I rarely ever take videos. Portrait camera shots are my most used 24/7 all the time.

So if videos are your thing, don't buy a Pixel, it sucks for videos. But for still photos the Pixel is king or maybe the iPhone 12 Pro will match the Pixel 5 Portrait mode quality now?
The pixel camera has always been software if I recall correctly. Never has the sensor or lens been better than the iPhone its all because of the post processing. But really its the only reason people buy the pixel is because of the software and or lack of it. It seems like with the pixel moving up in price I think personally its value has diminished. I think most people will care about both photo and video quality but its probably 70/30. The iPhone has always had best video camera in a smart phone and will continue to it seems like but they are just ever so slightly behind the pixel in post processing, if I recall correctly they came close last year with the 11. If they improved it then iPhone will have the best cameras hands down in a smart phone right?

That being said I like the design change. But they didnt even touch on battery life improvements or battery life at all. The only numbers they gave on the A14 was ML and GPU nothing about CPU. I've always liked MagSafe on the Macbooks but I am not quite sure its as useful they way they have it on iPhone. Really disappointed there is still no finger print sensor. But will probably upgrade everyone in my family as a Christmas present.

EDIT: Also disappointed the 12 Pro wont get all the camera features of the 12 Pro Max. I think personally the 11 Pro Max is too big and the 12 is a small bit bigger. I want the camera features, its going to be really hard this time.

Reactions: tived
like this
No Touch ID means no iPhone for me. I think we might see something like the power button/Touch ID on the 2020 iPad Air, but not until the iPhone hits 13, next year.

I still think, Apple being a trillion dollar company, they could have at least put a 90hz screen in the iPhone 12 Pro models, and somehow made the notch smaller, I heard rumors of a 1/3rd smaller notch, that's not a major change, but would at least show they cared and tried to slim it down a bit, which would be appreciated, and look better.

And a fingerprint scanner in the power button would be awesome as well, especially during this COVID time.

I am tempted to go iPhone and ditch Pixel, soon...but not yet. But if the iPhone 12 Pro Max had these three things as well, I would have been extremely tempted switch this Fall;

- Fingerprint scanner in power button
- 1/3rd smaller notch
- 90hz refresh rate

But one thing I need to applaud Apple on BIG TIME, is going back to a flat straight display. THANK YOU. My God I hate curved edge displays like Samsung Galaxy and the newer OnePlus phones. I don't even like the slight curved edge most modern smartphones have with the 2.5 minor radius edge, can't stand that. A perfectly flat across the board screen is the BEST. Hopefully this means 2021 Android phones will go this way as well.

Last edited:
Coming from a 11 pro max, I’ll be skipping this slight upgrade.

Maybe next generation will have sorted out 5g that’s functional. The rest is no real upgrade from my 11 pro max. I’m sure we weren’t the primary market for this phone anyways.

I just bought my first apple product a new base model ipad 8th gen. We all know how sad android tablets are at that price point. Still rocking my oneplus 7 pro with cracked front glass(touch 100%)

1 year let's see where the dust settles I might look at an ios device for the first time.

Like others, I'd say the biggest omission was lack of "ProMotion" display. 90Hz or 120Hz with LTPO. Paired with a 180Hz or 240Hz polled touch sensor, it would feel incredible.
It's a super weird omission too; because I feel like Apple in general tries to push display quality and they've fallen behind. While it's arguable that the tech wasn't developed to Apple's standards in years past, this year I feel should've been the year.
Everything else I'd say I'm happy with. Notch isn't my favorite thing, but I've lived with it for 2 years. And honestly, it's low on my list in terms of "complaints" comparatively speaking. I still wouldn't mind it disappearing into the bezel, but they'd have to figure out how to shrink their imaging stack, and right now that isn't feasible. FaceID is still markedly more complex than any competing hardware from Google or Samsung. Having touchID in the power button would be nice too, what with having to wear a mask all the time, but doesn't make or break a device for me.

Last edited:
Coming from a 11 pro max, I’ll be skipping this slight upgrade.

Maybe next generation will have sorted out 5g that’s functional. The rest is no real upgrade from my 11 pro max. I’m sure we weren’t the primary market for this phone anyways.
100% this. I also have a 11 Pro Max and have absolutely zero motivation to upgrade this year. 5G in my area is barely developed as it is in most other parts of the country. I'm almost positive ProMotion will find its ways in next year's iPhones since it was rumored to just not make the cut for this round. That is the feature I'm looking forward to most.

100% this. I also have a 11 Pro Max and have absolutely zero motivation to upgrade this year. 5G in my area is barely developed as it is in most other parts of the country. I'm almost positive ProMotion will find its ways in next year's iPhones since it was rumored to just not make the cut for this round. That is the feature I'm looking forward to most.
I read somewhere they likely didn't include it (high refresh rate displays) because of power / battery life concerns combined with the 5G modem. All hearsay of course.

I read somewhere they likely didn't include it (high refresh rate displays) because of power / battery life concerns combined with the 5G modem. All hearsay of course.
I think they are right. They didnt spend anytime talking about battery life during the presentation. 5G is also off seemingly most of them time when you don't need it so you can tell how much battery life that chews up.

I like the idea of the 128GB Mini and thought about pre-ordering one, but then I just look at the similarly sized Pixel 4a for $400 cheaper and realize I don't need a "bionic" processor in my phone at this time.

I like the idea of the 128GB Mini and thought about pre-ordering one, but then I just look at the similarly sized Pixel 4a for $400 cheaper and realize I don't need a "bionic" processor in my phone at this time.

Yeah, thought about that. Would love to try that size since I always liked smaller phones, but the price, and possibly below average battery pushes me away from this...

I just bought my first apple product a new base model ipad 8th gen. We all know how sad android tablets are at that price point. Still rocking my oneplus 7 pro with cracked front glass(touch 100%)

1 year let's see where the dust settles I might look at an ios device for the first time.
I tried the new Samsung Tab S7 Plus that was released just about a month ago. Best Android tablet ever, but aside from its great OLED screen, it wasn't as good as my two years old iPad Pro.

Finally seeing a bunch of upgrades compared to my OG iPhone X. Thinking of going for the 12 Pro Max. It'll be the first time going for the bigger sized iPhone.

Still no USB-C. Sigh. Seems crazy that for 3-4 years I've had a MacBook Pro and an Android phone, and I can charge both with the same cable. But if I were to get an iPhone, it would need a different cable. The USB-C to Lightning cable they're including this year is pretty funny.

I don't care about 5G, and would have liked to see a high refresh screen. Also don't like notches.

Other than that looks like a nice phone. I've reached the point where I'm starting to consider replacing my Galaxy S8, and if iPhone 12 had USB-C, it would have been really tempted. As is, it's interesting but I might lean Pixel 5.

Still no USB-C. Sigh. Seems crazy that for 3-4 years I've had a MacBook Pro and an Android phone, and I can charge both with the same cable. But if I were to get an iPhone, it would need a different cable. The USB-C to Lightning cable they're including this year is pretty funny.

I don't care about 5G, and would have liked to see a high refresh screen. Also don't like notches.

Other than that looks like a nice phone. I've reached the point where I'm starting to consider replacing my Galaxy S8, and if iPhone 12 had USB-C, it would have been really tempted. As is, it's interesting but I might lean Pixel 5.
Waiting for the high refresh rate display myself. Maybe next year.

I wouldn't worry too much about USB-C myself. Lightning is pretty ubiquitous... and let's face it, wired syncing and power isn't nearly as big a deal as it once was.

I wish people could charge their iPad and iPhone with the same cable. EU may force Apple to do that in the next couple of years if Apple doesn’t do it voluntarily. If we’re using Aurelius’s defense of Apple suggesting that wired syncing and charging is not as big of a deal, then it would also suggest that it’s not a big deal for Apple to switch to USB-C on the iPhones too. It’s less future waste.

Apple wants to get rid of charging port on iPhone and go wireless charging only imo

I'm aware of that but it's not prevalent. Most CarPlay still requires the device to be plugged in.
Yea, all of my cars have to have it plugged in. Even the ones I bought this year. Apple needs to make some type of dongle adapter if they kill the lightning adapter or I will not buy the new iPhones.

per-ordered a 12Pro for Friday, coming from an 8. Was holding out for touchID but wasn't willing to hold out for another year (at least)

You know me, I'm not a big iPhone guy, but I do love their design and hardware that Apple creates, it's the best, I'm just not an iOS guy, but it seems Apple is tweaking each year better and better to pull me in by maybe iOS 16 LOL

Anyways, I have a lot of iPhone users in my family and friends circle, and I heard a lot of them, really hoping for some type of TouchID to come back, or in the power button like iPad does. These are rich successful people, can easily afford to pay cash on brand new $1200 iPhone's for the entire family anytime they want, and these people, still rock older iPhone 8's, because they just like TouchID so much. I find that strange, but that's what they are saying.

I have a XR, and see no compelling reason to upgrade.
I'm glad you said that, because my wife has one and I was tempted to upgrade her line. I really wanted to wait till next year to upgrade her line, so this is kind of reassuring me having her wait another year won't be so bad. I have an XS Max, but only because my 7+ had a glitch with the board or something that maybe could be fixed, but the shops all told me no warranty if they could fix it. I wish I would have bought an 8+ after having to be stuck with Face Unlock. It works decent, but I miss having a finger print scanner to unlock my phone. I'll probably keep my XS max for another two years, unless Apple decides to release a finger print scanner on the screen.

and these people, still rock older iPhone 8's, because they just like TouchID so much. I find that strange, but that's what they are saying.
Personally, it's both the Touch ID (for unlocking) and the home button (for general use). Tough habit to break.

Personally, it's both the Touch ID (for unlocking) and the home button (for general use). Tough habit to break.

Makes sense. TouchID would unlock the phone right away to the home screen, whereas now with FaceID, it unlocks to the lock screen, then you still need to swipe up to get into your home screen. I've heard people not really liking that extra step, of having to swipe up still before you get to your home screen.

Makes sense. TouchID would unlock the phone right away to the home screen, whereas now with FaceID, it unlocks to the lock screen, then you still need to swipe up to get into your home screen. I've heard people not really liking that extra step, of having to swipe up still before you get to your home screen.
I swipe up and I’m in my phone. Rarely do I have to wait for FaceID. Maybe these people should just try it? Using swipes/gestures is much easier and faster once you get used to it.

There is no extra step. That makes it sound like some process. All you do is swipe up. The phone is unlocked instantly just by looking at it. It’s just as fast if not faster than Touch ID. I have concerns for people that find this difficult. You swipe up to get to the Home Screen no matter what you’re doing, so it’s not like this gesture is uncommon. You use it frequently on the Face ID iPhones.

Back