iPads May Hinder Children's Communication Skills

HardOCP News

[H] News
Sadly, this is not an April Fools joke. The picture in the article is pretty scary. Can you get that thing any closer to the kid's face? :eek:

But Dr. Small says we do know that the brain is highly sensitive to stimuli, like iPads and smartphone screens, and if people spend too much time with one technology, and less time interacting with people like parents at the dinner table, that could hinder the development of certain communications skills.

Wait, so if you don't teach your kids to socialize they won't know how to...socialize?

Wait, so if you don't teach your kids to socialize they won't know how to...socialize?

Amazing isn't it? It use to be the same way for TV's and any form of electronics. If your kids to spend time with other kids, their communications skills will not develop as fast.

In other news: Speaking more than one language at home may delay kids learning language.

One of my uncles lets his 5 year old play angry birds and other games on his Asus Infinity Tab, and now hes quite anti social. Before he let him play he was hopping about and always talking to everyone.

Using the first example, that seems like the parent just never disciplined their kids. Not giving them a treat when they're behaving badly is like, dog rule number one and if you don't know not to do that than you aren't fit to be a parent.

Using the first example, that seems like the parent just never disciplined their kids. Not giving them a treat when they're behaving badly is like, dog rule number one and if you don't know not to do that than you aren't fit to be a parent.

Treat? Back in my day the treat was not getting our asses whooped.

Treat? Back in my day the treat was not getting our asses whooped.

That's why I said not. If you saw two dogs fighting, you wouldn't toss them a steak and say "I just don't understand why they keep having issues :confused: "

if one kid is hunched over his own ipad all day, then sure.

but if you have a bunch of kids share one ipad, then you force development of communication skills.

People in general are having problems communicating. My wife and I might take our phones out to check important emails when we go out to eat, or to look into something, but we don't normally use them for very long. In restaurants, you can see adults, children, teens, anyone spend a whole meal watching something on a phone or iPad, even if there's other people at the table. That's rude, to be honest, and kinda bizarre.

but if you have a bunch of kids share one ipad, then you force development of communication skills.

You might end up teaching them to communicate with their fists.

After years of research I've come to the conclusion that old people like to whine about anything related to 'kids these days.' Somebody give me grant money.

This article is an ad for the book mentioned partway through. Nothing more.

Sadly this is true, my cousin (by marriage fortunately...he's a mess) will talk to his girlfriend through text messages, when she is sitting right next to him.

Good. The problem is that people tend to over-communicate. Eight times out of ten, someone is whining or talking about themselves.

One of my uncles lets his 5 year old play angry birds and other games on his Asus Infinity Tab, and now hes quite anti social. Before he let him play he was hopping about and always talking to everyone.
April Fool's!

If the only way you can get your children to behave in public is to hand over electronic devices to keep them occupied, you might want to take a look at your parenting skills. Perhaps take a parenting course or two.

We have five kids ages four through twelve, we eat dinner at the dining room table at least five nights a week. We can take them all out to a restaurant, or any public place, and know that they will behave themselves without the aid of electronic device distraction. The older ones help the younger ones, they all use their manners with each other, and with the wait staff.

Be an adult and a parent to your children, they will be better for it and the world will appreciate it in the long run.

It might be more accurate to say that: if you teach a kid to communicate using one method, then that kid may not communicate using another method.

Since we know that everything in existence will follow the path of least resistance available, the iPad may open up new communications pathways which are easier to use than the alternatives available. Yes, it is rather like stating the obvious, but many of these articles are.

maybe this will encourage apple to allow facetime to run as an overlay on other games or apps.

A couple days ago my 12 year old told us she was going to go play games on her computer and be antisocial :) Should I be worried?

Sadly this is true, my cousin (by marriage fortunately...he's a mess) will talk to his girlfriend through text messages, when she is sitting right next to him.

My wife and I text each other at restaurants, but it's more of a joke. :D

I have an almost-toddler child and she's been poking around on iDevices since she was barely able to sit by herself. I got her an iPad Mini for her first birthday and it's rarely out of range. She has her "alone" times when she wants to use it by herself, but she also has intentional times when she wants someone else to participate. She'll fire up a baby game of whatever form, do it for a little bit, then just randomly hand the iPad over to me, pointing. This means "I want YOU to play." She watches me play, laughs, enjoys it, then wants it back. Repeat. It was also the first thing she learned to carry while walking. It's not exactly light or easy to carry, even with a kid-friendly case, so I think she's getting something out of that also. 8)

I have an almost-toddler child and she's been poking around on iDevices since she was barely able to sit by herself. I got her an iPad Mini for her first birthday and it's rarely out of range. She has her "alone" times when she wants to use it by herself, but she also has intentional times when she wants someone else to participate. She'll fire up a baby game of whatever form, do it for a little bit, then just randomly hand the iPad over to me, pointing. This means "I want YOU to play." She watches me play, laughs, enjoys it, then wants it back. Repeat. It was also the first thing she learned to carry while walking. It's not exactly light or easy to carry, even with a kid-friendly case, so I think she's getting something out of that also. 8)

The reason why she hands it to you, after playing it herself, is to read your responses, so as to be able to indirectly test/read your mind, in order to generate a psychological profile of you. It is an efficient form of communication that requires no language skills. This is why kids always hand stuff to grown ups, to see what they do next.

Another good game to play is to draw part of a picture, say a house, then pass it onto someone else so that they can add something to it, say a flower. Then pass it back and fore, so that the other player can add something. The picture will evolve into a psychological composite of useful information, about how one sees the other in the world around.

Let's learn iPad social skills:

"MOM!!! Johnny broke the iPad!"
"No I didn't, Billy broke it!"
"DID NOT!"
"DID TOO"
"DID NOT!!"
"DID TOO!!"
"DID NOT!!!"
"DID TOO!!!"
"I DON'T GIVE A @#%* WHO BROKE IT, I'LL BREAK BOTH YOUR LITTLE ASSES!!!"

Anecdotal evidence about one child doesn't really mean much, though, even if that was true in this particular case.

Our 2 year old is very sociable and uses our ipad daily. We limit him to 30 min per day and he uses it to play educational apps or cartoons on Netflix. He knows how to use the ipad very well, better than my patents I'd say. It's all about moderation.

People in general are having problems communicating. My wife and I might take our phones out to check important emails when we go out to eat, or to look into something, but we don't normally use them for very long. In restaurants, you can see adults, children, teens, anyone spend a whole meal watching something on a phone or iPad, even if there's other people at the table. That's rude, to be honest, and kinda bizarre.

What of value does anyone really have that's worth saying? Most of the time when my coworkers are talking to me about something, I glaze over and just start giving them automatic responses. I'd prefer people not bother me because I prefer being alone over having company and I prefer quiet, not quiet with ambient noise from a television or music, but simply not having as much sound. Some people thrive in social settings and others would prefer to be left alone. For those who prefer frequent interpersonal interaction, being lost in our own thoughts or doing something alone might seem strange, but it really isn't all that odd. There are a lot of introverts out there and we sometimes protect ourselves from having to talk to or acknowledge other people by looking as though we're preoccupied with a device, even to people we consider ourselves close to.

Back