iPad2 Will Be Sporting Dual Cameras

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Citing numerous reports from suppliers, the two cameras will facilitate video conference calling with the 2nd generation iPad, which also is reported to be set for release in the early spring.

Research firm iSupply has projected that Apple (NASDAQ:AAPL) will ship 12.9 million iPads in 2010 and those shipments will increase to 36.5 million in 2011

It's going to take a lot more for me to upgrade my iPad than just two cameras. I can't really say I've ever really really missed not having a camera on mine. TBH I'm not sure what would get me to upgrade, except maybe a lot more storage space. Battery life already lasts days, much longer than any other piece of electronics I have, performance - it never lags or feels slow to me so having a faster processor wouldn't do much for me, any bigger and it'd be hard to hold, any smaller and it'd lose usability, so it really just comes back to the storage for me. Unless they come up with something way different like a tactile touchscreen or something similarly new like that.

Typical apple.

Adding shit into later generations that should have been included in the first place. I'll continue to not buy their crap.

I want a "Retina display". I want 2048x1536. I really don't care about the cameras.

THIS! I want a comprable Retina display on the iPad and Flash Support. Ease of use and rock solid stability of iOS + Crazy good Display panel and Flash support will sell me instantly. This is why I still havent bought a tablet. Most of them are laggy as heck like the Tab, doesn't have flash support like the current iPad, and have a really small screen like the Tab, or no Tablet app support like all the android tablets.

THIS! I want a comprable Retina display on the iPad and Flash Support. Ease of use and rock solid stability of iOS + Crazy good Display panel and Flash support will sell me instantly. This is why I still havent bought a tablet. Most of them are laggy as heck like the Tab, doesn't have flash support like the current iPad, and have a really small screen like the Tab, or no Tablet app support like all the android tablets.

Well, you gonna have to wait for the fourth generation of iPad to get that, if iPhone history any indication.

id rather go without internet access than give apple any money for this piece of crap toy.

This is nice, the original Ipad needed dual cameras for face to face video calls.

I'm not buying an iPad until they add 8 cameras, 12 USB ports, 8 Fire-Wired ports, 6 Gigabit Ethernet ports, 12 HDMI ports, 6 green audio-out ports, 6 pink mic ports, and at least 9 AC Adapter ports.

I'm not buying an iPad until they add 8 cameras, 12 USB ports, 8 Fire-Wired ports, 6 Gigabit Ethernet ports, 12 HDMI ports, 6 green audio-out ports, 6 pink mic ports, and at least 9 AC Adapter ports.

THe whole ipad would be hollow with that many ports. :)

I was actually expecting the iPad 2 to only have a rear facing camera... figured they would milk the thing even more by adding the front facing camera a generation or two later!

Well, you gonna have to wait for the fourth generation of iPad to get that, if iPhone history any indication.
I don't think it's going to happen this upcoming generation. The third-gen iPad, though, I would expect to have a much higher-density display. As it is, I don't think the A4 can handle too many more pixels unless the clock speed is upped significantly, and definitely not 2048x1536 (four times as many pixels as the current iPad). And I don't think Apple is going to abandon A4 any time soon.

And I'm guessing it will cost at least $100 more, right?
No, I doubt that. I expect the pricing will stay about the same. Perhaps cheaper 3G models (Apple will want to try and move the 3G models more aggressively this time around), and maybe some sort of subsidization deal with AT&T.

2 cameras is good but what i would like is GPS.

Doesn't the 3G iPad have GPS?

Having used both a 7" and 10" tablet, I much prefer the 7". I think 7 or 8" is the perfect size for a tablet. The iPad is too big to comfortably thumb type, and too heavy to hold one handed comfortably. Specifically, I *love* the size and weight (and screen and $250 price tag) of the Nook Color. Rooted Nook Color with Opera Mobile is very close to perfection. Now B&N just needs to get 2.3 on it (or 2.2 :/ )...

Have fun waiting for flash support, I don't think iOS will ever get it officially.

You're kidding right? The fact that you were so clearly angered by my statement makes you the fanboi.

Look at what the ipad lacks that should have been present at release. GPS, Camera, usb, video out, networking, expandable storage, multitasking. These will be added into later iterations at little to no cost to the producer and sold at a huge premium to the public.

Most of these features were present in other products (many produced by apple) at the ipad's release date. Is it really "improving" a product when the things you are adding in to "improve" are widely available on nearly every other similar product on the planet? No it's not an improvement. It's intentional so that future releases of current products can be less innovative and merely copies of the current products with low cost additions that should have been present at the initial release.

Effective method for moving product when the target market is a bunch of fools.

I'd rather own a product that is actually useful all while being less expensive.

Trolling fanboi or educated consumer?

You're kidding right? The fact that you were so clearly angered by my statement makes you the fanboi.

I'd rather own a product that is actually useful all while being less expensive.

Rather than getting personal, you do understand why those who use and enjoy Apple products might take exception to your proclamations?

Look at what the ipad lacks that should have been present at release. GPS, Camera, usb, video out, networking, expandable storage, multitasking.
If you want those features, buy another product. There are more than a few available that have many of those features. The iPad — and Apple products in general — have never been about cramming in every imaginable feature and saying "here, we don't know what the fuck you want, so here's everything we could think of and maybe you'll figure out what to do with it".

Frankly though, I really don't understand why the iPad "should have had" these features when it's clear that consumers have responded pretty positively to the existing iPad's limited feature-set (I believe the iPad has exceeded Apple's sales expectations).

Most of these features were present in other products (many produced by apple) at the ipad's release date.
Those products are not iPads. Do I expect an HDMI port when I buy a Windows Phone just because the X360 has it? Nope.

I might suggest perhaps both. You know what the iPad is, you know what other products are and you know what differentiates the iPad from those products. That makes you an educated consumer. An assumably large number of similarly-educated consumers, like yourself, have chosen the iPad though, so being an educated consumer and buying an iPad are not mutually exclusive things. The idea that you would suggest that they are, however, denotes...well, you can figure it out from here.

Look at what the ipad lacks that should have been present at release. GPS, Camera, usb, video out, networking, expandable storage, multitasking. These will be added into later iterations at little to no cost to the producer and sold at a huge premium to the public.

Most of these features were present in other products (many produced by apple) at the ipad's release date. Is it really "improving" a product when the things you are adding in to "improve" are widely available on nearly every other similar product on the planet? No it's not an improvement. It's intentional so that future releases of current products can be less innovative and merely copies of the current products with low cost additions that should have been present at the initial release.

everything starts with less features and future items have more features. This has been true for PCs, appliances, cars and every damn thing in the world. The fact that you're hating on Apple for this very reason while ignoring anything else that does the same thing makes you anti-(insert your brand).

anyone know if the iPad 2 will be widescreen or will it continue to have a 4:3 aspect ratio?

Before I read that it was to facilitate conference calling, I thought it was retarded. I expected to follow the link and see X-zibit smiling at me and telling me how he heard I liked a cameras. Now, on the other hand, I still think it's retarded.

Couldn't you save money and just make the lens rotate instead of adding another camera.

I'm an engineer Apple. You can hire me if you want ;)

Assisted GPS, I believe.

Well yeah, that it would be A-GPS is kind of a given. There isn't a reason NOT to have it be A-GPS.

Assisted GPS just means it has a faster time to first fix and can handle poor reception areas better than a standalone GPS assuming you are on a network. As in, A-GPS is much better most of the time.

If I had any friends who bought the iPad, I would have forwarded this news to them just to tick them off :p

I want a "Retina display". I want 2048x1536. I really don't care about the cameras.

That's not going to happen.

The iPhone 4's "Retina Display" is only made possible because since the screen size is so tiny, the resolution is still not larger than an ordinary laptop/netbook (960x480).

2048x1536 is immense. The people who have that resolution know that there is practically nothing that actually looks to scale and good on it.

I mean they'd have to make everything HUGE. Games sure as hell won't be able to run on it, and you sure as hell don't want them at a lower resolution.

It would be awesome, but it's not time yet.

everything starts with less features and future items have more features. This has been true for PCs, appliances, cars and every damn thing in the world. The fact that you're hating on Apple for this very reason while ignoring anything else that does the same thing makes you anti-(insert your brand).

Not really. Usually they start with the biggest and best and sell it the early adopters who have more money than you can shake a stick it. However, Apple has managed to create a culture where the consumers think they should have to pay for more features that should have been there on day 1. Have to give them props for that. Brillaint business model when delaing with sheep.

Not really. Usually they start with the biggest and best and sell it the early adopters who have more money than you can shake a stick it. However, Apple has managed to create a culture where the consumers think they should have to pay for more features that should have been there on day 1. Have to give them props for that. Brillaint business model when delaing with sheep.

Uhh, no later generations of the same product almost always has more stuff and more improvements to it. This is especially true when it comes to things like computers and phones.

Look at what the ipad lacks that should have been present at release. GPS, Camera, usb, video out, networking, expandable storage, multitasking.

1. dont take the bait
2. show me a similar product that had all of this at release

I think I'll wait until they bring out the 32" version. :)
The iPad Quadra. Four iPads glued together for four times the magic and four times the fun.

...features that should have been there on day 1.
Again, who's to say those features should have been there? Doesn't Apple decide what features their products have and do not have?

why doesn't winsomelosesnone just stfu and stop trolling and get a freaking android tablet

That's not going to happen.

The iPhone 4's "Retina Display" is only made possible because since the screen size is so tiny, the resolution is still not larger than an ordinary laptop/netbook (960x480).

2048x1536 is immense. The people who have that resolution know that there is practically nothing that actually looks to scale and good on it.

I mean they'd have to make everything HUGE. Games sure as hell won't be able to run on it, and you sure as hell don't want them at a lower resolution.

It would be awesome, but it's not time yet.

Uh, no, you are confused. Desktop monitors don't vary much in DPI. A 2560x1600 30" screen is only slightly higher DPI than a 19" 1280x1024 screen. Because of this, Windows never seemed to bother to implement DPI scaling. Which means 1920x1200 on a 15.4" laptop screen makes everything tiny. This is a problem with the OS, not the screen. Fire up something like KDE on that same screen, and everything will be the same physical sizes as on a 1680x1050 15.4" screen, just much sharper. On mobile devices, 96 dpi never became a defacto standard, preventing the entire problem outright. Android, for instance, has DPI scaling built into everything. It would handle a super high resolution 10" screen without a problem (well, it would be slow, but everything would scale right). I assume iOS has similar things since the iPhone now has multiple DPI targets.

So no, the retina display doesn't look good because it's resolution isn't actually all that big, but because it crams tons of pixels into a small area. If you made a 10" version of that, it would look every bit as good as the iPhone 4's display. More DPI is basically always better IF the hardware can drive it (and it isn't ridiculously expensive - which is the real reason it hasn't happened yet)

Let me get this straight. This is what your reasoning is coming off as.

Item A can drive you around automatically and fly.

Item B can only drive you around automatically.

Item B has a second version come out which can fly and drive you automatically.

It's not technically an improvement to the item because Item A had it to begin with?

It's funny how much you're bitching about this. If this was your product you would do the same exact thing. Do you think Apple gives a shit about how many people hate them? No, they don't. They have the products and marketing to be able to thrive in a horrible economy with a dedicated customer following. Of course it's intentional. Do you really believe you are the ONLY person in the world that sees that? You're keep repeating everything we already know. You would mark up your product by a million percent IF you knew people would buy it for that price. What do you think other companies do? Look at Sony's PS3. They offered a ton more additions in their gaming console over Microsoft. I don't see people constantly bashing Microsoft for making us buy every little thing that the PS3 had to begin with.

Back