iPad outselling Microsoft

Status
Not open for further replies.

reb00tin

Gawd
How do you like the iPad? It doesn't have a cover (like a laptop) so how do you travel with it? Does it have an Internet browser? How does it compare in overall usefulness with a small laptop? Can you do online banking with it? Apple shows very little on it's website about iPad.

If iPad is outselling M$ then we should have an iPad section on Hardforum -- yeah?

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-...aw-success-cuts-into-pc-sales-at-hp-dell.html

It sure looks like Steve Jobs' genius is coming through again.

The iPad is a toy, not a substitute for a computer.

The iPad is not the reason for the decline in PC sales. The biggest cause of PC sales decline would be that the release of Windows 7 bumped sales up for a time, now that people have already moved to Windows 7, sales are slowing.

The iPad is a toy, not a substitute for a computer.

The iPad is not the reason for the decline in PC sales. The biggest cause of PC sales decline would be that the release of Windows 7 bumped sales up for a time, now that people have already moved to Windows 7, sales are slowing.

Microsoft has already fired half their employees, and they may go bankrupt or become an insignificant player. If MS servers stop responding, imagine what will happen to the millions of PCs calling home at bootup to validate their licence and getting NO reply...

Microsoft throwing around billions and acquiring companies doesnt look like bankruptcy is coming any time soon. Your information is flawed and sensationalized.

MS's gaming division is doing pretty well from what I last heard. Windows 7 sales are strong and meeting MS's expectations. Their office sales while not amazing are still doing pretty well. Enterprise contracts and licensing took a hit because of the cloud pulling away some of the smaller players...but larger companies will be with Microsoft for a very long time.

MS's mobile division are the only ones to be concerned about.

Newegg aren't selling the iPad but Walmart does! Does that thing have a browser? I pay my bills online and you need a browser for that!

An iPad section on [H] just doesn't seem right. It would be like a knitting section. Nothing [H]ard about an iPad.

I'm posting this from an iPad. It does online banking fine.

Actually quite a few sites are going to flash based "you are using a new machine so click here to have a code texted to your phone" type security setups where the iPad craps itself unfortunately.

Microsoft has already fired half their employees, and they may go bankrupt or become an insignificant player. If MS servers stop responding, imagine what will happen to the millions of PCs calling home at bootup to validate their licence and getting NO reply...
LOL... and then you wake up.

Microsoft isnt even mentioning bankruptcy. Anyways when you wake up from your little dream you may wanna think about how much more dependent the world is on Microsoft software than they are Apple products. Apple's honeymoon is already slowing down in the cell phone market. (see Android if ya need more info on that.)

im gonna call it like i i see.

FAN BOY

Actually quite a few sites are going to flash based "you are using a new machine so click here to have a code texted to your phone" type security setups where the iPad craps itself unfortunately.
Hrm, I haven't come across anything requiring flash like that yet. BoA does it all through forms.

I agree adobe Flash is bloatware, garbage, I'm surprised it's still around. BUT youtube-type sites are basically streaming *.flv or *.mp4 video. Why can't Apple write their own media player to replace Flash?

iPad is nice. I got one last year (was no good 10 inch Android tablets at the time). But I'm thinking, anyone that would visit HardOCP forums is probably someone that wants to do a little more with their hardware than the iPad will allow.

You'd be better off with Android 3.0 tablet. ASUS Transformer is pretty nice and not heavy like some of the others. The Galaxy Tab 10.1 looks even sweeter, though sadly the wifi version seems to lack a microSD slot.

With the Android tablets, you have more browser choices, you get a version of Chrome as the stock browser and in addition you can get Firefox, Opera, and Dolphin, along with other choices. Chrome and Firefox are good because both will sync up your bookmarks between your desktop and tablet browsers very nicely. And Opera is just very quick. And most work with Flash. Flash might not be the greatest experience on a tablet, but it is still nice to have when you need it.

And you don't have to use iTunes, Android has a user accessible file system, you can simply plug in the tablet and drag-drop files between your computer and the tablet. And those files on the tablet and easily accessible by any app that can use them.

I agree adobe Flash is bloatware, garbage, I'm surprised it's still around. BUT youtube-type sites are basically streaming *.flv or *.mp4 video. Why can't Apple write their own media player to replace Flash?

Html5. I watch YouTube on this thing occasionally.

I like the iPad because it is a multifunction device that compares favorably with large-screen but far more limited e-book readers like the kindle dx. One can hold it almost any way and still get a brilliant picture, with excellent color and contrast.

So how do you travel with the iPad and NOT break it? Does it have a cover, or do you just stick it in your suitcase like that?

So how do you travel with the iPad and NOT break it? Does it have a cover, or do you just stick it in your suitcase like that?

Yes, you can get a cover for them. I don't have a cover and it's been fine flying across the ocean, being stuffed in my backpack every day, etc for the past year.

Yes, you can get a cover for them. I don't have a cover and it's been fine flying across the ocean, being stuffed in my backpack every day, etc for the past year.

Doesn't the screen scratch, bend or break? The casing looks very thin.

I got an ipad for my wife, it arrived the other day. The thing is nice. everybody loves it. so its not a regular computer. all the same I have it on a table. always on. easy to look shit up. none of the unwieldiness of a laptop.

MS fired half of their employees? Aren't they 100k employees strong?

Ever looked at their profits? MS is still growing.

I've been reading these forums for a very long time, and this is the first thread that really deserves a 'terrible' ranking. Vote now.

Why hasn't this thread been locked already? If it were in the Apple subforum speaking of Apple like this it would have been locked in seconds.

Passed on this but... what the hell:

Microsoft doesn't make tablets, so the entire concept of this thread is absolutely pointless.

Microsoft hasn't fired half their employees and they have roughly $40 billion they could start blowing tomorrow and it wouldn't bother them for a decade to come.

If you want to talk about gadgets, that's fine, but this isn't the place for a comparison of a hardware tablet product by one company, meaning the iPad, against an entire company that doesn't make tablets, meaning Microsoft.

I think the general consensus in the thread seems to be that it might be a good idea to put a choke on this one before it gets outta hand but, that's up to the Admins/Mods.

So you advocate censorship? You don't have to read it if you don't like it...

There are moderators on [H]ardForum whose job it is indeed to censor threads such as these. This is a privately owned site and as such freedom of speach doesn't apply.

AndréRocha;1037282551 said:
do u people think, will we ever replace paper with something like the ipad?

Not with capacitive only devices like the current iPads, however digital pen based Windows tablets are superior to pen and paper. I can search and email handwriting just like typed characters, extremely useful. If Microsoft can get its impressive ink technology into devices of the iPads price range in ARM devices ala Courier and the digitizers from N-trig get a little better or Wacom digitizers get cheaper these devices will easily challenge the iPad for productive and educational uses.

I know many iPad fans think that pens are irrelevant but far more people every day use pen and paper than those that use all tablet computers combined. And from what I can tell touch only tablets haven't at all displaced digital pen tablets. Yes it's a niche market but most of that is due to techincal issues and the price of these devices.

Microsoft's ink technology is second to none, it is impressive especially when combined with something like OneNote and is an edge they can promote over iOS and Android but the issue is going to come down to cost and if ARM devices can drive it well. Ink in Windows 7 is very CPU intensive, far more so than simple touchscreen keyboards. If Microsoft and its partners could produce a reasonably priced Courier like device they'd have a goldmine on their hands.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back