iPad Finger Painting Portrait of Morgan Freeman

HardOCP News

[H] News
I'll let you guys decide if this "iPad finger painting" is real or fake. Watching the video doesn't really help because it jumps in resolution and detail several times and its not actually the work in progress. On the left, the iPad painting, on the right, the actual photo of Morgan Freeman.

If this is a fake, it's a great fake. If you look at his beard, you can see some shadowing that looks CGI'ed vs the real photo, but again, this is very hard to distinguish at this point.

Every single hair is in the exact same place. The only real difference I can even see is that the whites in his eyes look a little less red and more blurred over.

I guess a guy could paint on his ipad getting every single hair and pore and freckle exactly placed perfectly, but I somehow doubt it.

Now imagine how much time he would have saved by using a Surface Pro 2.

^^^ Yeah I was going to say, looked sweaty as all fuck.

But yeah if this is real, brav-fucking-o. That was amazing.

What I think is odd is that this is a "finger painting" on an iPad. But, if you lay the final image over the actual photo, it is an exact copy, dimensions are exact, hairs are exact. I'm not calling bullshit...but I'm calling bullshit. ;)

What I think is odd is that this is a "finger painting" on an iPad. But, if you lay the final image over the actual photo, it is an exact copy, dimensions are exact, hairs are exact. I'm not calling bullshit...but I'm calling bullshit. ;)

Agreed. And if this were real, the creator needs a part time job or something. Waaaaaaay too much time on his hands.

its real, the guy that painted is pretty talented, saw doing some at an expo with a stylus and they wernt bad, think he mentioned he liked taking his time doing portraits.

on another note pro create is an amazing app but i my self cant get decent results without a stylus and there aint really a good one for the ipad. wacom one is ok not brilliant

its real, the guy that painted is pretty talented, saw doing some at an expo with a stylus and they wernt bad, think he mentioned he liked taking his time doing portraits.

on another note pro create is an amazing app but i my self cant get decent results without a stylus and there aint really a good one for the ipad. wacom one is ok not brilliant

He was probably paid by Procreate to do this and/or the ad revenue if this is viral will be a nice chunk of change.

Maybe that's the point of the finger painting app, you load a picture and the more you stroke your iPad the more resolution and pixels come into play. So him stroking some 285,000 times meant he was just a lonely lonely boy.

Filmed in reverse. Start with a photo, then keep mucking it up finger painting until you end up with a blank screen.

I saw it on the Internet, so it has to be real!

Seriously though, it's fake. It's more video trickery than anything...

You'd think he would go see a dermatologist to remove all those skin tags and black shit on his face.

You would think, but this is Morgan Freeman we are talking about. A man that has a net worth over 100 million dollars, yet drove a 1997 Nissan Maxima during the peak of his career.

Real. He is a well known digital artist. His work is awesome.

The guy who mentioned the photoshop overlay got me curious, so I did the same and sure enough it's a pore for pore match.

What he does is paint on the ipad to his maximum ability, around the 1:15 mark, then he begins to blur out sections, and then paints them in with a cloning tool.

He sized the image at a 1:1 ratio, and not sure of the method exactly, but roughed it out most likely using a second monitor display the same image at the exactly same size. This is an artists aid, where looking from one screen to the next, if anything is off it "animates".

So when he reached the extent of his ability, he blurs it and start cloning into it. Since the image he is painting and the image he is cloning is a 1:1 ratio, everything begins to align correctly.

Smart marketing stunt, but it's a little bit f***'d up and misleading to say it was "painted" on an ipad when it's just a clone tool.

100% fake, started with the photo and then messed it up. It this guy was smarter he would have used 2 similar photos and it wouldn't be as obvious.

It's possible. But it's so implausible that it doesn't really matter without proof.

You would think, but this is Morgan Freeman we are talking about. A man that has a net worth over 100 million dollars, yet drove a 1997 Nissan Maxima during the peak of his career.

Well who needs an expensive car when you've got a million dollar yacht ;) I get the idea of having moles removed, but the guy's 76 years old. What's the point of worrying about it?

this might be fake reverse engineered..... ie deconstructed with photoshop and then rewound back to original.

Nevertheless, based on this guy's other videos, he's got talent.

He should have time lapsed his fingers doing the actual work. Then maybe.

He may have a talent for making art... a youtube video. But the idea that this was just digitally painted(ipad or not) is bullshit.How about an actual timelapse of him... I dunno... painting it? Otherwise this is just crap appearing on a screen cloned off of another display after being roughed in. Even if he was using an ipad, there should have been a UI displayed at some point so you could see he was actually doing something(at least that would have made it look more like he was doing something, that wouldn't be too hard to fake either.

I imagine you could more easily deconstruct a photo than construct one with that kind of quality. Play it backwards and the only thing amazing is that it took 200 hours to turn a good portrait into a blank canvas.

I won't go as far as saying that's what he did, but most of this guy's work is Pixar style animation.. and if there is anything Pixar is good at, it's creating brilliant illusions.

I call shens. That's too good for a finger painting, or it took 20 years to do.

Have to agree with the BS statement:

Here's my layered version over the HD youtube clip. Minor ration issue I'm guessing from my screen cap. Image is full size so just click the link below.

http://imgur.com/CuZLpqw

Back