iPad Finger Painting Portrait of Morgan Freeman

Using a proportional divider and a deal of time, they could duplicate that feature to near perfection.

I feel like I'm reading the Flat Earth Society, the painting could be close but it would be humanly close, not machine accurate, this is pure anti-science. I'm gonna help you a little bit, there is a grid method some photorealists artists use, there they replicate the photo square by square but even so the results are not mechanical.

Now the video doesn't suggest the use of any of methods, it shows loose global strokes in freehand style and then a few local clusters of dots until the photo is revealed with some parts never even touched in final stage, they just popped.

I feel like I'm reading the Flat Earth Society,

You are the one suggesting this is a conspiracy, where the software developer is also in on the scam.

This is digital where such work is many times easier. Than the examples in pen/pencil/paint.

With digital you can zoom both the original reference, and the digital painting in to the pixel level and count the pixels and duplicate it exactly if necessary.

All the requires to be real, is some skill, but mostly time, and patience.

What it requires to be fake is conspiracy between the artists and the tool maker to perpetrate a pointless scam.

You believe in the conspiracy, I believe it was time/patience/skill.

We will just have agree, to disagree on this one.

I'll jump on the boat to saying that i think this is real; however, try doing the same thing with real paint and a brush when you can't super zoom in on a canvas, now it becomes much more difficult. Definitely talented and patient but with an overlay and eyedropper tool this isn't that challenging. If you look at lot of hyper realist paintings they are much larger than the real thing so they can get more detail in.

You are the one suggesting this is a conspiracy, where the software developer is also in on the scam.

This is digital where such work is many times easier. Than the examples in pen/pencil/paint.

With digital you can zoom both the original reference, and the digital painting in to the pixel level and count the pixels and duplicate it exactly if necessary.

What it requires to be fake is conspiracy between the artists and the tool maker to perpetrate a pointless scam.

You were the one who kept saying the software maker was the one who verified the painting and yet continue to ignore the huge fucking conflict of interest that is.

You also keep ignoring that the guy literally would of had to of gotten down to the pixel level to "paint" every detail from the picture as accurately as he did.

The video says 285,000 strokes. The painting also starts of using broad strokes.
There's not one instance where he demonstrated pixel replication.

The video says 285,000 strokes. The painting also starts of using broad strokes.
There's not one instance where he demonstrated pixel replication.

The video only shows changes, not tools used, nor zoom level. He certainly would have used zooming extensively for the minute details.

It took 200 hours to create. The creation video is less than three minutes. Real time is about 4000 times longer than the video.

So every single second of video, represents over an hour of work. So every second will be packed full of many changes, there is no way to reliably examine his work steps with that kind of compression.

Hope Apple paid him well for the marketing. Even if there's a tiny chance it's not fake I wouldn't have wasted 200 hours of my life or even 8 hours. Give the man the proper tool, Samsung Galaxy Note series with built-in precision pen, and he can do it in 1 hour.

I'll jump on the boat to saying that i think this is real; however, try doing the same thing with real paint and a brush when you can't super zoom in on a canvas, now it becomes much more difficult. Definitely talented and patient but with an overlay and eyedropper tool this isn't that challenging. If you look at lot of hyper realist paintings they are much larger than the real thing so they can get more detail in.

If it was done with an overlay and an eyedropper tool we would be having a different discussion. The video suggests it was a freehand eyeballing method, the way Procreate video capture works, it records every step exactly as it was minus zoom and GUI, so if the overlay photo was used, it would be visible.

This point is reinforced by Kyle, which ironically works against him:

"To answer your question, no at no stage was the original photograph on my iPad or inside the Procreate app. Procreate documents the entire painting process, so even if I wanted to import a photo layer it would have shown in the video export from the app."

The fact that the supposedly freehand eye measured painting is perfectly in line with 99% of the MILLIONS of points on the original photograph (minus distortion from the treatment) is a direct evidence of a mechanical nature of an image aka manipulated photo. In a real world for example (forensic science, courts) it would be equivalent of something enough to put a person to jail, like a DNA match.

None of the professionals I've talked to considers this to be real. The only people who passionately support this are hobbyists who are all I'm sure kind hearted folks but not exactly gifted people, they simply lack the comprehension and experience to understand the evidence in the first place, let alone make their own conclusions.

There's still no official or unofficial meaningful reply released to counter the questioning of authenticity other than the first lie being repeated for the second time and art-clueless tech bloggers copy pasting it.

I wonder if he wrote a program that looks at the original picture and automates doing it on the ipad. That would still be quite the mad skills though...

You seem to be putting a lot of people on a "pedestal". Behind the officiality of the company, they are simply real people, just dudes who don't mind making some extra Christmas money to provide for their families. They are constantly showered in flattery from an army of fans on their forums to the point there they lost the sense of reality and did not realise the pros can always step in and expose a poorly planned stunt.

But to give it a benefit of a doubt I have another theory: the devs themselves don't know it's fake. Being a software engineer of an art app doesn't necessarily makes them an authority on the images made with their own app. They looked at the video, which is reversed, saw a source file, which was probably flattened (access to software code doesn't give the ability to restore lost process information), basically saw the same image that everyone else did and went with it.

You seem to be putting a lot of people on a "pedestal".

No pedestals involved. I think this is mainly a work of enormous time/patience, that any number of people could have done, if so motivated.

You keep claiming "impossible" so it must be fake.

I don't know if is sour grapes, or personal failings that gives you such a limited view of what is possible.

This was done with 6 regular supermarket ballpoint "Bic" pens:
redhead_girl___ballpoint_pen_by_vianaarts-d5531ab.jpg

This was done with Pencil:
enhanced-buzz-31427-1370292077-0.jpg

Those works are much more impressive than photo-realism is in digital.

That you continue to shout impossible is baffling. Getting the correct proportions is simply a matter of using measured reference points. A common practice in precision drawing for centuries. In digital you can measure to the pixel.

so you take an image. color machine each pixel and paint said pixel over top of said image to get a perfect match and you don't consider that a fake "painting"? that requires no effort. Anyone could do that.

He's basically doing what Vermeer did (albeit with more modern technology). Nobody calls Vermeer's paintings "fakes."

No pedestals involved. I think this is mainly a work of enormous time/patience, that any number of people could have done, if so motivated.

I don't know if is sour grapes, or personal failings that gives you such a limited view of what is possible.

That you continue to shout impossible is baffling. Getting the correct proportions is simply a matter of using measured reference points. A common practice in precision drawing for centuries. In digital you can measure to the pixel.

I'd forgotten about the first one. The artist has done a lot of impressive work with that technique. I've never seen the sketch before but it's fantastic

He's basically doing what Vermeer did (albeit with more modern technology). Nobody calls Vermeer's paintings "fakes."

Both the video and artist's statement suggest that there was no photo overlay used, so that method does not apply here.

There's nothing impossible about creating a very realistic looking art using various techniques. In this case the outcome of the final image contradicts with the method presented in the video and no, while digital tools are helpful (zoom, pixel grid, color picker), they do not assist in hand-eye coordination.

The human mind created so much and yet you people believe we are not capable of accuracy far greater than an ape on dope??? Hard forums have quite a few more idiots than I even thought possible.

The human mind created so much and yet you people believe we are not capable of accuracy far greater than an ape on dope???

This stirs the conversation in a rather abstract philosophical realm, can the best athlete in the world, given enough time and training, jump on top of the Empire State building? Maybe, maybe not.

There's another wave of investigations. In this article Gizmodo is focusing on finding traces of Photoshop in metadata which I never had problems with while ignoring the issue of freehand geometry alignment.
http://gizmodo.com/the-insane-morgan-freeman-ipad-painting-an-investigati-1487291042

Both artist and developers again are simply asking everybody to take their word for it without any proof.
The audience is waiting for the release of original art and video files by the artist.

Back