iOS 7 Discussion

iPhone 5s Features, Hands On, First Impressions
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNyIP19Y0o4

Chris says going from the 4S to the 5 was a real noticeable upgrade, mainly in performance being much faster smoother on the iPhone 5 over the 4S. But the 5S to the 5, feels no different to him, if anything he says iOS7 is holding it back, needs patching / updating because it is jaggy and slow in areas, and certain animations are off and conflicting with other things, just poor quality control not being fixed before final OS release. Chris feels lack of polish before final release is sad, and not typical of Apple, under Jobs this would not have been released like this.

Chris feels lack of polish before final release is sad, and not typical of Apple, under Jobs this would not have been released like this.

The "Steve Jobs wouldn't have done it like this" meme is out of control.

This is version 1.0 of a complete revision contrasted against version 6.0 of an established code base.

The "Steve Jobs wouldn't have done it like this" meme is out of control.

This is version 1.0 of a complete revision contrasted against version 6.0 of an established code base.

I wouldn't go that far. iOS7 is more of a theme and update of iOS6, not a brand new ground up next generation operating system, no.

Went ahead and installed it on the 4. It's actually comparably snappy, which surprised me — I thought for sure Apple would somehow cut its performance legs off either maliciously or negligently.

Pretty remarkable to still be getting major OS updates on a phone this old. This kind of post-sale software support really doesn't exist on any other mobile platform.

This is encouraging. Installing on iPhone 4 - commence!

I'm finding it to be a pleasant experience on my 5S and this is my first iPhone..

I wouldn't go that far. iOS7 is more of a theme and update of iOS6, not a brand new ground up next generation operating system, no.

Considering that it's a complete UI replacement coupled with 64-bit support and things like multi-path TCP, I would say the pendulum is much closer to "new ground up" than it is to "more of a theme and update".

I've never seen themes that change what was present in iOS 6 to the extent that 7 does. Some functionality, mainly list-based apps (Settings, Mail) are similar to iOS 6, while things like Safari and Music are a clean break from the previous iteration. The underlying OS received a lot of attention and updates, to the point where the overall experience is entirely different. Themes don't do that.

It's a shame that most people dismissively seem to think that the only differences are the color scheme and the addition of Control Center. iOS 7 would have been a pretty massive update even if Apple hadn't redesigned the interface.

Considering that it's a complete UI replacement coupled with 64-bit support and things like multi-path TCP, I would say the pendulum is much closer to "new ground up" than it is to "more of a theme and update".

I've never seen themes that change what was present in iOS 6 to the extent that 7 does. Some functionality, mainly list-based apps (Settings, Mail) are similar to iOS 6, while things like Safari and Music are a clean break from the previous iteration. The underlying OS received a lot of attention and updates, to the point where the overall experience is entirely different. Themes don't do that.

It's a shame that most people dismissively seem to think that the only differences are the color scheme and the addition of Control Center. iOS 7 would have been a pretty massive update even if Apple hadn't redesigned the interface.

You're conflating technical update with substantive changes. SURE, a lot was changed under the hood (not that 64bit matters for most people). BUT, on the consumer-facing front, it's a skin with a flashlight.

A fleshlight if you will. :eek:

Is it just me or IOS7 is just as hideous as Metro. The flat no edge no, shadows just look fucking ugly?

You're conflating technical update with substantive changes.

I'm looking at the entirety of the OS, not cherry-picking relevance.

BUT, on the consumer-facing front, it's a skin with a flashlight.

Funny how Apple's consumer-facing advertising highlights new features.

(not that 64bit matters for most people).

It directly determines the capability of the onboard hardware. It matters regardless of whether or not it's appreciated by the average person.

I'm looking at the entirety of the OS, not cherry-picking relevance.

Funny how Apple's consumer-facing advertising highlights new features.

It directly determines the capability of the onboard hardware. It matters regardless of whether or not it's appreciated by the average person.
It really doesn't. If the technical capabilities of an OS were determinative of its success, relevance or improvement over a previous version, then we'd all be using Linux and QNX Oses.

Look, the bottom line is if an average joe doesn't notice a given improvement, then that improvement doesn't really matter.
But, let's go to your link. What IS apple touting as "new features"?
  1. Control Center
  2. Notification center
  3. Multitasking
  4. Camera
  5. Photos
  6. Airdrop
  7. Safari
  8. Itunes Radio
  9. Siri
Of those, which is actually new to the average joe?
Control Center is not new, since Android has had it since what, 2.1? Even then, it's not NEW per se, but is just a new settings menu.
Notification center? Not new. Just skinned.
Multitasking? Not new. Now, it takes up the whole screen as opposed to just the bottom row.
Camera? Nope, always had a camera. And is it really that much better? It's a little better, but the 5's was pretty good to begin with. So not new, just a little better.
Photos? Definitely nothing really new there.
AirDrop? Ok, that's new. But is it something people actually do on a regular basis? I don't know, but I'll give Apple the benefit of the doubt and say it's new.
Safari? Not new, just skinned.
Same with Siri.
iTunes radio is new-ish. It has to compete with systems people already use regularly and probably subscrbe to, so good luck with that. Think: Ping.

So, really, of all of those "new" features, none of them is really new, with the exception of AirDrop. Everything else is just a skin or minor improvement (and not all of them good), and even most of those are just catch-ups to Android and Windows Phone.

Bottom line: Apple has brought NOTHING new to the table for the user here. 64-bit means NOTHING in the long run. It's a standard evolution of the hardware and software that has NO effectr on the user experience. Consider the transition from 32 to 64 in PCs. What benefit did that enable that wasn't a natural evolution anyway? More ram? Please, the increase in ram capacities was smooth during the transition. Shoot to this day MANY computers come with 4gb installed. There was no speed increase, no vastly better or faster apps or capabilities.
Same here. 64bit means nothing.

iOS7 is a reskin of iOS 6. EVERYTHING is precisely were it was before, it just looks different. As an example: Take an iOS 6 device, unlock it, open an email, open a browser, take a photo, open a game and send a text. (This likely represents 99% of usage scenarios.) Now do the same thing in iOS7.

It's EXACTLY THE SAME. Button for button. EXACTLY THE SAME.

Exactly, iOS7 is a theme over iOS6, making it look worse actually, more pastel and feminine.

I would say iOS5 was the biggest release in a whole, iOS5 really updated and changed a lot, even though it looked the same, bit it sure added a lot over iOS4.

Does anyone know how to downgrade an iPad 3 back to iOS 6?

Don't bother giving me the sell job, I've given this a fair chance and decided I don't like it. I'm so glad I decided to try this on my iPad before upgrading my iPhone. Is there any way at all to get iOS 6 back?

iOS7 is a reskin of iOS 6. EVERYTHING is precisely were it was before, it just looks different. As an example: Take an iOS 6 device, unlock it, open an email, open a browser, take a photo, open a game and send a text. (This likely represents 99% of usage scenarios.) Now do the same thing in iOS7.

Did you fail English or forget what the words exactly and everything mean?

Nice to see Snowdog regurgitating the same thing he's been trying to sell for the past few months. Nobody's buying, but doesn't seem to stop him.

Points for persistence, but none for originality.

Does anyone know how to downgrade an iPad 3 back to iOS 6?
Failing a restoration from a backup, you should be able to download an IPSW and use the shift-click method to install from it. I guess.

Nice to see Snowdog regurgitating the same thing he's been trying to sell for the past few months. Nobody's buying, but doesn't seem to stop him.

Yes it was the same thing I posted when I first saw it, when people said it was only a beta and too early to comment.

Well it is the the full release now, and it looks just as bad as the beta did.

I am not an Apple hater, in fact I was usually defending Apple on these forums. I was very pro iPad until this gag inducing change to the OS, and the fact that you are stuck with it as the only theme means I will get an Android tablet instead.

I see things like this, that are almost literally painful to look at. Which I think really does give some credence to Steve Jobs being a huge arbiter of taste that kept Jony (or is that Brony? ) Ive's excesses in check. I wasn't too concerned with Apple not having one theme only, when it was fairly tasteful. I don't know how anyone can claim this is tasteful with a straight face.
color_pink_green-640x556.jpg

Also the above seems to cover most of the MLP colors for those claiming it doesn't look like that.

Yes it was the same thing I posted when I first saw it, when people said it was only a beta and too early to comment.

Well it is the the full release now, and it looks just as bad as the beta did.

I am not an Apple hater, in fact I was usually defending Apple on these forums. I was very pro iPad until this gag inducing change to the OS, and the fact that you are stuck with it as the only theme means I will get an Android tablet instead.

I see things like this, that are almost literally painful to look at. Which I think really does give some credence to Steve Jobs being a huge arbiter of taste that kept Jony (or is that Brony? ) Ive's excesses in check. I wasn't too concerned with Apple not having one theme only, when it was fairly tasteful. I don't know how anyone can claim this is tasteful with a straight face.

Also the above seems to cover most of the MLP colors for those claiming it doesn't look like that.

Do you know what the color of the wallpaper does to the home screen? If anyone wants to judge an OS by the default wallpaper don't make me post the Windows XP default wallpaper. How about I post the awesome yellow wallpaper of Windows 8.1?

Hard to believe this is the same OS?
control_center_ipad.png

Don't feed the trolls, even if the mods seem to allow them more freedom in this forum these days.

It really doesn't. If the technical capabilities of an OS were determinative of its success, relevance or improvement over a previous version, then we'd all be using Linux and QNX Oses.

*rest of post truncated for brevity*

You started off with a bizarre non-point, descended into deranged ranting, and finished with complete nonsense. Well done, sir. Though I'd like to respond to this one "point":

Please go and tell the developer community this. They would like to have all those hours they spent redesigning their apps to fit the new interface back.

The wallpaper was Apples choice and is indicative of the taste of the new stylemaster in charge: Ive.

Changing the wallpaper, doesn't fixe the still hideous flat simpleton icons, or the hideous neon gradients they use, or the lame translucency gimmick, etc... etc....

I am not really going to hash this out again.

But once, Steve Jobs said of Microsoft: "They have no taste".

Without Steve Jobs, neither does Apple anymore.

Changing the wallpaper, doesn't fixe the still hideous flat simpleton icons, or the hideous neon gradients they use, or the lame translucency gimmick, etc... etc....

I am not really going to hash this out again.

So you're changing the subject now?

So you post a picture comparing iOS 7 to My Little Pony and when showed how the wallpaper changes the home screen color choice you proceed to change the subject. That's where.

Changing the wallpaper doesn't help with those lame new icons, very feminine looking, purple and pink and baby blue hues, and they look cheap, like placeholders from an alpha build.

I don't want to keep bashing this kiddy phone, I just wish Apple allowed theming and options to change out the icons to a different pack.

I see things like this, that are almost literally painful to look at. Which I think really does give some credence to Steve Jobs being a huge arbiter of taste that kept Jony (or is that Brony? ) Ive's excesses in check. I wasn't too concerned with Apple not having one theme only, when it was fairly tasteful. I don't know how anyone can claim this is tasteful with a straight face. .

I don't really care what they did in an ad campaign. I do care when they screw up the one and only theme they let you use.

I showed you that these offbeat color choice were Apple even when Steve was alive and now you don't care about the past. I didn't even mention early OS X which was a whole lot, if not all, Steve.

Changing the wallpaper doesn't help with those lame new icons, very feminine looking, purple and pink and baby blue hues, and they look cheap, like placeholders from an alpha build.
I'm not convinced the color scheme has actually changed all that much:

averages.png

Ive successfully crashed my phone from within itunes radio by editing my channels several times.

I hate the completely saturated color for everything ala wndows xp and fisher price! Apple give us a saturation slider!

Clearing out old apps is slower to do, but it is an improvement. its more usable, but painfully bright to look at. Also, siri is still dumb and cant changes her gender. The under the hood improvements are fine, but i absolutely fucking hate the color aesthetics.

Funny i was just checking out iOS 7 reviews and thought "wow, way to go down to 2D flat icons and colors.. mmm, looks a little like Windows 8 Metro...flat dull icons and colors..."

You're wasting your breath, man. People like that find exactly what they are looking for everywhere they go, even if it's not there. And you're not going to be able to change his mind.

On topic, The color scheme is annoyingly bright. It helps to put a darker background on it, and hide as many Apple icons as possible in folders. Preferably off-the main home screen.
That said, iOS6 was neutral enough that I didn't mind the color style and design. But now, we're back to the old lack of customization rubbing the wrong way.
It's kind of insulting that Apple assumes everyone will like this My Little Pony approach to everything.

I'm a grown man and I find iOS 7 pleasant to look at. As with anything else people are resistant to change.

FTFY

I don't mind if ANYONE likes it, not EVERYONE will, and the inability to change it, even one bit, is unfortunate.

Yep.

I was listening to sports radio in Chicago on my way to work this morning. Funny, one of the hosts was talking about his older iPhone, said he saw an update OS option over weekend, so he installed the new update, and the guy freaked out once iOS7 was installed, to quote "I turned my phone on, and looked like my 11 year old daughter designed it, and now looked like a toy, and it is blinding bright colors. How can I undo this, is there a way to go back ? I don't like this one bit"

LOL :p

This is all just hilarious to me. iOS7 is the OS I've been waiting for from Apple to get me to switch over from Android. They finally copied enough of the features to make it usable. Screw the colors and customization. Give me a stable, easy phone that does the main things right :)

FTFY

I don't mind if ANYONE likes it, not EVERYONE will, and the inability to change it, even one bit, is unfortunate.

You call it unfortunate, everyone else calls it standard. Out of the box theming support has never been very powerful or prolific, even on the desktop.

You call it unfortunate, everyone else calls it standard. Out of the box theming support has never been very powerful or prolific, even on the desktop.

But that's because desktops (think OSX and Win7 and earlier) use a very neutral design scheme. Muted colors, greys and whites. Not PinkPony Pastels.
Look at Windows 8. When they began offering more colorful design schemes, vis. the start menu, they started offering more alternative options so that it wouldn't alienate people. Apple, on the other hand, has forced colors on everyone, without the option to tone them down.

Perhaps in OSX, but in Windows/Linux you can dial in just about any look you want. IIRC when I was tweaking windows, I could choose different icon set, window treatments out of the box without add-ons.

But that's because desktops (think OSX and Win7 and earlier) use a very neutral design scheme. Muted colors, greys and whites. Not PinkPony Pastels.

Windows 7 is muted? A glass border is about as in your face as it gets.

By the way, what you deride as "PinkPony Pastels" is generally liked on continents outside of North America. User testing shows that NA users prefer darker colors, while the rest of the world prefers lighter colors. That's one of several root reasons for the change.

Luckily, since you so vehemently dislike the change, you are free to stop posting about it on the Internet and go buy another device. Capitalism has you covered.

Perhaps in OSX, but in Windows/Linux you can dial in just about any look you want.

Windows has never been able to do more than alter its color scheme out of the box. Replacing the UI has always required third party utilities.

By the way, what you deride as "PinkPony Pastels" is generally liked on continents outside of North America. User testing shows that NA users prefer darker colors, while the rest of the world prefers lighter colors. That's one of several root reasons for the change.
If I had a penny for all the fucks I don't give about the rest of the world...
Luckily, since you so vehemently dislike the change, you are free to stop posting about it on the Internet and go buy another device. Capitalism has you covered.

Alas, I can't. Work-mandated phone.
I also like how the new update has delayed my email reception by a few hours. That makes work easier.

Not to keep bashing on the iOS7 'My Little Pony" OS.

My main reason for not going back to an iPhone since my iPhone 3G, is a few reasons, and hopefully the upcoming iPhone 6 due out in August 2014 has some of these;

- Larger screen, at 4.5" to 4.7"
- Widgets allowed on the home screen
- LED notification ring around the thumb button
- Bigger and better battery life
- Customization allowing simple changes to swap out keyboards, little theming, etc...

I think the iPhone 6 will have some of these above, but also they could shock me, and stick to the tiny 4" screen,and make it paper thin, like 6.5mm, with smaller battery, and lighter.

Why can't Apple finally offer two different sized iPhone ? Keep the 4" size, but sell a second 4.7" screen size. I highly doubt the 4.7" screen would kill sales, and be a dud, I think would be quite successful for Apple.

Why can't Apple finally offer two different sized iPhone ? Keep the 4" size, but sell a second 4.7" screen size. I highly doubt the 4.7" screen would kill sales, and be a dud, I think would be quite successful for Apple.

Because a 4.7" screen is difficult for some people to use with one hand and would affect the usability of existing apps. iOS's greatest strength is its developer/app ecosystem and Apple pisses off developers when they make changes to the format of the devices that affect usability. It's not about killing sales or the product itself not selling, it's about affecting the long-term viability of the app ecosystem. If Apple loses that advantage, their market strategy will be greatly affected.

A larger screen iPhone will come eventually, but it's not something Apple will take lightly. I wouldn't expect it for a flagship iPhone 6, considering that Apple just changed the screen size last year when they released the 5. They're still selling the 4S, and they're not going to make developers support 3 screen sizes on the iPhone. Wait until the 4S has been dead for a little while.

Back