iOS 7 Discussion

OK fair enough, im a victim of my own circumstance I guess. Im in Healthcare and it "seems" to be the de-facto handheld, Im obviously mistaken considering your stance and the global numbers so ill quietly slip out the back. :)

Law too, fwiw.

Running surprisingly ok on a 4s. Really wish I could disable the animations though.

The animations sometimes hide latencies. Disabling them won't actually get you much of anything.

Background App Refresh may have something to do with decreased battery life. Settings > General > Background App Refresh. Double check to see what Apps are using it or disable it all together.

Damn...thanks for that tip, almost every app was doing it.

Doesn't really look that bad to me, the photos icon on the other hand...

Neither of those bother me much. It's the game center app I hate.
ku-xlarge.jpg

Before, it made sense. it was some game pieces on what looked like a game board. SURE it was pretty literal, but it made sense.
Now? Bubbles? What does that have to do with games? Is it trying to be a bunch of speech bubbles? That makes no sense because you can't message via game center. ugh. At least the settings icon makes me want to cook.

OK fair enough, im a victim of my own circumstance I guess. Im in Healthcare and it "seems" to be the de-facto handheld, Im obviously mistaken considering your stance and the global numbers so ill quietly slip out the back. :)

I'm in healthcare IT. We gave a couple of iPhones and iPads to very high level administrators because they demanded them and were willing to bend backward a little to meet some corporate obligations regarding mobile devices. Otherwise, we're still putting out Blackberries because of said obligations. Doctors bring in their personal devices and run via the guest wifi, we don't give them anything, and they don't put their devices on the corporate network. The Blackberry stranglehold might end next year because the relevant contracts are supposedly being allowed to expire without renewal, but who knows.

Not sure what this all has to do with your description of iOS and the iPhone as a business style phone, though. Apple did not have corporate meetings in mind during the design process. Their only real nod to the enterprise is Exchange support. Features that might be usable by the enterprise, like Find My iPhone, were designed with individual people in mind. There is no really good centralized method to push updates, change settings, track usage, etc on these devices. The closest available is the Apple Configurator, but it's really only useful for something like a small office, or maybe an educational setting. It also doesn't run on Windows (note: Apple Configurator, not the old iPhone Configuration Utility), so now that presents an issue of whether or not we are allowed by corporate to buy a Mac just for the purpose of managing Apple devices, and whether we're even in compliance with global policies by adding a Mac to Active Directory and the corporate domain.

That you see a few people in your healthcare facility bringing what appears to be their own iPhones to work doesn't mean your description of them as a business phone is correct. Enterprise functionality or compatibility is entirely accidental and unintended.

And the iPhone is better off for it, IMO.

First update on my iPad 3 since 5.1 - no problems, great upgrade IMO. No noticeable lag and overall feel is better. I did, however, reset the iPad to original settings before updating and then did a iCloud setting import to keep things from potentially going south during the update itself.

Fast mirrors for ios6 if you want to rollback. As of now, Apple is still approving 6.1.3 if you wish to rollback. Going to do so since I'm only on a Iphone 4G. I will revisit ios7 once I get hold of Iphone 5S. IOS7 on a Iphone 4G "almost" feels like using an android in regards to lag.

I hate the scrolling in safari. When i scroll up the goddamn address bar always appear and take a good part of the screen. A bad design decision.

Question for ipad 3, first retina ipad owners! The newest ipad that has the dock connector.

do you get the frosted overlay effect? Conflicting sources on the internet. A picture would be appreciated!

iOS 7 is only good on the iPhone 5 or above. It's functional on my girlfriends 4s, but fuck me does it have some noticeable transition times.

Although you can at least enable 'reduce motion' under settings which speeds up the 4s transitions a tad.

iOS 7 is only good on the iPhone 5 or above. It's functional on my girlfriends 4s, but fuck me does it have some noticeable transition times.

Although you can at least enable 'reduce motion' under settings which speeds up the 4s transitions a tad.

Wife was complaining about having problems just answering a call on her 4s from the locked screen now using a 4s with iOS7.

Question for ipad 3, first retina ipad owners! The newest ipad that has the dock connector.

do you get the frosted overlay effect? Conflicting sources on the internet. A picture would be appreciated!

No, I get the flat grey.

qdVkcmi.png

I hate the scrolling in safari. When i scroll up the goddamn address bar always appear and take a good part of the screen. A bad design decision.

That bugged me at first too (as I preferred the iOS6 full screen browsing from tapping an icon). However, after using it for the past few months, it's grown on me.

Pretty much, when scrolling up (assuming you're not trying to actually get to the top of the page/address bar), keep your finger on the screen when you scroll, opposed to flicking the screen with your finger, and the bar wont show up. If you want to get the address bar or bookmarks/etc to show, then just flick (so you don't need to scroll all the way up to get it to show anymore)

It took a while to get used to it but now I really don't miss having to press and icon to get the same effect... and it works in both landscape and portrait :)

Last edited:
so far so good, i like it aside from the pastel color palette

no issues on the 5

This is Tim Cooks way of innovating, a couple copied features from Jailbreak and Android and a different color pallete for every new version of IOS. Pastel now, shiny IOS8, retro IOS9 and pastel IOS10 again.
We are innovating, we don't need Steve Jobs, can't you see??

You nerds are forgetting that most people don't really care about "innovation." I'm a nerd too and honestly I just want a phone that does the basic things well. I chose the 5S over the GS4 because I just don't want to have to learn how to use all those "features" on the GS4, most of which I'll probably never use. This is my first iPhone so we'll see how it goes. I already miss my back button :/

Or keep the phone with you at all times so you dont loose it.

I dont need some damn lock screen. It is my phone only, and I am the only one who will be using it.

You can never be to careful, last year my friend had his stolen when he was robbed while on the light rail going home from work...

All the new gestures are a blatant rip off of WebOS and the QNX.

Suprised nobody has said anything about this yet.

My wife upgraded it for her ipad mini and says its now more like my playbook, lol. Except my playbook with the current update is MUCH smoother at multitasking and web browsing.

After 2 days, I'd say most of it seems like a new skin. No massive changes, just the aesthetics.
However I officially hate the new folder system. I like being able to have larger folders, but I really wish there were some way to increase how many apps you can see within a folder.
It's almost like the "All apps" part of Windows 8. Just adding in one more tiny step makes all the difference in how accessible your applications feel.

I like iOS7 for the most part but all the super skinny black text on stark white backgrounds is hard to digest... I wish all the keyboards were like the dark one for the phone search (when you pull down on the home screen). The SMS keyboard is so stark white it's kind of annoying... safari seems a little slower on my i5 also.. but most other new features are pretty nice.

Went ahead and installed it on the 4. It's actually comparably snappy, which surprised me — I thought for sure Apple would somehow cut its performance legs off either maliciously or negligently.

Pretty remarkable to still be getting major OS updates on a phone this old. This kind of post-sale software support really doesn't exist on any other mobile platform.

You can turn on bold text to make it look more like iOS 6. But I ended up turning it off after realizing it was also turning non-UI text bold in certain apps, like browser bar text in Chrome.

I like it quite a bit. Looks great and works well. I don't like the animations, though. Makes things take longer. I do wish that there was a dark theme.

The devs at apple are getting sloppy now that the quality control nazi is gone?

iOS 7 is only good on the iPhone 5 or above.

This. I've got a 4s a 5 and an iPad 4.

The 5 and iPad 4 are very snappy and smooth 95% of the time, except for camera operations.
The 4s is a hitchy, laggy dog in comparison. Prolly get a 5s Monday as the CPU power for the camera increase alone is worth it.

Same thing as usual - Apple basically makes sure any new iOS works well 1 hardware version back and that's it.

I dislike the changes in Safari. On the iPad the 'go back' function takes too much of a swipe to work. Need to shorten the swipe length on the iPads. I should be able to flip my left thumb instead or reaching/moving my hand.

Back