cageymaru

Fully [H]
Today NVIDIA has unleashed the TITAN of Turing; the NVIDIA TITAN RTX. At the Conference on Neural Information Processing Systems in Montreal, Canada (NeurIPS), NVIDIA announced the "T-Rex" launch later this month with a $2,499 MSRP. The NVIDIA TITAN RTX is a professional tool designed for the most demanding of PC users - developers, scientists and content creators. The NVIDIA TITAN RTX features Turing functionality like the new RT Cores to accelerate ray tracing and Tensor Cores for AI training and inferencing. These features, along with the increased compute and enhanced rasterization capabilities of the NVIDIA TITAN RTX, will power the workloads of millions of developers, designers and artists across multiple industries.

The NVIDIA TITAN RTX has the following specifications: 576 multi-precision Turing Tensor Cores, providing up to 130 teraflops of deep learning performance. 72 Turing RT Cores, delivering up to 11 GigaRays per second of real-time ray-tracing performance. 24GB of high-speed GDDR6 memory with 672GB/s of bandwidth -- 2x the memory of previous-generation TITAN GPUs -- to fit larger models and datasets. 100GB/s NVIDIA NVLink can pair two TITAN RTX GPUs to scale memory and compute. Incredible performance and memory bandwidth for real-time 8K video editing. VirtualLink port provides the performance and connectivity required by next-gen VR headsets. TITAN RTX provides multi-precision Turing Tensor Cores for breakthrough performance from FP32, FP16, INT8 and INT4, allowing faster training and inference of neural networks.

"Turing is NVIDIA's biggest advance in a decade - fusing shaders, ray tracing, and deep learning to reinvent the GPU," said Jensen Huang, founder and CEO of NVIDIA. "The introduction of T-Rex puts Turing within reach of millions of the most demanding PC users - developers, scientists and content creators."

2o1m8v.jpg

nVidia needs to make up their mind...

Titan used to be the crowned king gaming GPU of their lineup, with a price tag that kept this single PC component out of the hands of everyone except for the well-to-do that felt the need to stretch their epeens.

With the recent cryptocurrency craze that provided nVidia an excuse to gouge and drive prices of Pascal into high earth orbit (and nVidia recently announcing record profits because of it), nVidia now seems to think that everyone will simply open their wallets willy-nilly at these inflated prices.

The double whammy of it: They've positioned the pricing of Turing as a kick in the junk to every one of their customers, new and old, alike.

MID RANGE
(around $250)
Pascal: GTX 1060
Turing: TBD

UPPER MID RANGE
($380-450)
Pascal: GTX 1070 and GTX 1070Ti
Turing: TBD

UPPER RANGE

(around $400-600, price tag dumbfuckery: novice)
Pascal: GTX 1070Ti* and GTX 1080**
Turing: RTX 2070
*1070Ti is a bit of a price tier crossover part, imo
**post-GTX 1080Ti launch

TOP TIER
($650-800, price tag dumbfuckery: experienced)
Pascal: GTX 1080Ti
Turing: RTX 2080

HALO TIER
($900-1400, price tag dumbfuckery: professional)
Pascal: GTX Titan Xp
Turing: RTX 2080Ti

HALO+ TIER?
($1500+, price tag dumbfuckery: deity)
Pascal: NA
Volta: Titan V
Turing: RTX Titan

Last edited:
Turing is NVIDIA's biggest advance *Price* in a decade
It likely is a market test to see if we're willing to pay... I sold out on the 999 version. Honestly, I'm fairly certain you're supposed to turn those 9's upside down. :LOL:

Their motto should be "The way it's meant to be paid" lol. Problem is, we keep paying for them, there is no competition, thus prices will likely stay here or climb, I have forseen it :p

Not for the target market. But a lot of narcissistic gamers think everything is supposed to be about them.

Overpriced means they are offered for sale at a certain price and then have trouble selling or don't sell at all. Guess how fast these will sell out.

I always interpreted the target markets as such, based on nVidia's own historic conventions:
Gamers: Titan
Pros: Quadro

That's my thoughts. If they wanted to target the professional market it should be labeled as a Quadro card.

nVidia needs to make up their mind...

Titan used to be the crowned king gaming GPU of their lineup, with a price tag that kept this single PC component out of the hands of everyone except for the well-to-do that felt the need to stretch their epeens.

Actually Titan has been more of a prosumer card than a dedicated gaming card. That is one of the reasons it has sold so well at the price points they have released it.

yeah.. Titan Line was removed from the gaming line since the Titan V.. it is returting to be what the original titan was a prosumer oriented GPU with great gaming capabilities..

I see it as a glorious attempt on nVidia's part to extract business/enterprise amounts of money per unit out of the consumer segment...

I see it as a glorious attempt on nVidia's part to extract business/enterprise amounts of money per unit out of the consumer segment...

it is a hard choice in my opinion, they will cannibalize A LOT of their PRO GPUS, not every work require signed drivers, not every work require profiled application, not every work require FP64.. all of those will fall for this kind of Titan Line of GPU.. so when you have a 2500$ eating the sales of a 10.000$ - 12.000$ is not an easy choice..

Well, if you're a small startup or independent researcher it is much more affordable to spend $2,500 on a "prosumer" card than $10,000 on a professional card.

Actually Titan has been more of a prosumer card than a dedicated gaming card. That is one of the reasons it has sold so well at the price points they have released it.

The very first Titan was clearly a rebadged and price-DROPPED Quadro, due to the insane FP64 capability, which caused "prosumers" (read: business and enterprise customers) to scoop much of them up, cutting their costs at least in half over buying the Quadro variant.
The next gens of Titans had shit-tier FP64, forcing these customers back into the much higher priced Quadro product realm.

The Titan name was purely targeted for gamers from the get-go, since it fit with the Ti (Titanium) naming scheme of nVidia consumer gaming GPU products, and was marketed, from nVidia directly, as a gaming card...someone else made the same argument about it not being a gaming card, but I was able to post a screenshot of the original nVidia prouct page of the first Titan showing that is was 100% for deep-pocketed gamer/consumer segment.

...I can't seem to access the product page, only the specs of the original Titan, when I head out to nVidia's website.

Well, if you're a small startup or independent researcher it is much more affordable to spend $2,500 on a "prosumer" card than $10,000 on a professional card.

I'm agreeing with that notion, as almost all consumer gaming GPUs are birthed from the R&D of the professional lineups, since the OEM and business segments make the most money.
$2500 for a single GPU as a business expense may be more justifiable than spending that much for gaming use that'll become obsolete in 1-3 years, given the advancement rate of game engines/features placing more and more processing demand on the hardware itself as time goes by.

Last edited:
The very first Titan was clearly a rebadged and price-DROPPED Quadro, due to the insane FP64 capability, which caused "prosumers" (read: business and enterprise customers) to scoop much of them up, cutting their costs at least in half over buying the Quadro variant.
The next gens of Titans had shit-tier FP64, forcing these customers back into the much higher priced Quadro product realm.

The Titan name was purely targeted for gamers from the get-go, since it fit with the Ti (Titanium) naming scheme of nVidia consumer gaming GPU products, and was marketed, from nVidia directly, as a gaming card...someone else made the same argument about it not being a gaming card, but I was able to post a screenshot of the original nVidia prouct page of the first Titan showing that is was 100% for deep-pocketed gamer/consumer segment.

...I can't seem to access the product page, only the specs of the original Titan, when I head out to nVidia's website.
Will agree with that. The Titan since Kepler was always marketed as the fastest gaming card on the market until the Titan V. But I think the reason NVIDIA did this was because they were worried that they would cannibalize Quadro sales too much initially, and when that did happen they removed FP64 from Maxwell entirely.
Don't they have to prove that the 2080ti is viable BEFORE launching this one?
Viable as a product? We still have nothing to go on but the 1-2% failure rate being officially reported. Anecdotal internet evidence doesn't count.

Viable from a sales perspective? They are still constantly selling out despite the bad press.

I'm a TitanXp owner myself, so I don't have a problem splashing out for a GPU. This is far outside my price range, but for those who would have bought a Quadro but didn't need the FP64 (or the TitanV's HBM), this is an incredible bargain. It's what, a 60% discount on the equivalent Quadro? I can see a computing niche jump for joy over this announcement.

I always interpreted the target markets as such, based on nVidia's own historic conventions:
Gamers: GeForce + Titan
Pros: Quadro

They've kinda greyed that area now. There doesn't appear to be a card for strictly gaming anymore.

GeForce + Titan --> Gaming / Compute (AI/ML)

Quadro --> Workstation / More Advanced Compute

Tesla --> Datacenter / Large Compute

I remember years ago the Quadro cards were just rebranded (overpriced) GeForce cards with special drivers that they paid companies to exclusively support (Autodesk, etc). That's changed, as a lot of major software developers have gone from supporting specific driver sets to supporting technologies (OpenCL, etc).

Back