Introducing EVOLVE : Next Gen (PC/XB1/PS4) Game by Turtle Rock (L4D) & 2K Games

theNoid

Supreme [H]ardness
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2014/01/07/february-2014-evolve-768796.aspx

Game_informer_evolve_cover.jpg

Few independent studios sport the multiplayer pedigree of Turtle Rock Studios. After years of working on Valve's Counter-Strike series, the California-based developer created Left 4 Dead, a post-apocalyptic shooter that redefined cooperative gaming and landed the number-one spot on Game Informer's Top 30 Co-op Games of All Time list. Now the studio is combining its competitive and cooperative design expertise for a new, next-gen only IP: Evolve.

What is it?

The sci-fi multiplayer-focused shooter pits a four-player crew of alien hunters against a separate player-controlled monster that grows larger and more powerful over the course of matches. Each hunter features its own unique items and abilities, and while the monster may be outnumbered, its size and an assortment of devastating attacks make it a more than formidable foe. Like Turtle Rock's previous titles, Evolve is being built with variety and replayabilty in mind; the result is a novel mix of cooperative and competitive multiplayer elements that's unlike anything we've played before.

Last edited:
sci-fi left 4 dead? Bring it on :D

They did an amazing job with L4D.

Sounds like a cool asymmetric idea. And anything that isn't a franchise (yet) has my attention these days.

Interesting concept but depends on implementation.

For instance with L4D I found the concept interesting but the implementation was not for me.

really excited for this game, especially being a huge l4d fan.
cannot wait to see some game play.
the concept sounds amazing.

I hope it turns out as good as it looks. If it does, it'll be a day 1 purchase for me, which is rare in the age of Steam sales.

how are people not excited for this game.
it has become my most anticipated.
im dying to see some game play footage.

i just found out its on the cryenegine, the graphics look really good.
006d90.jpg

006d8e.jpg

006d93.jpg

006d8d.jpg

apparently there are multiple monsters to choose from and evolve into
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFLb-j5-eBM

If its on CryEngine, I'm definitely interested, just hope it won't turn out to be some lame linear FPS game though.

Is it just me or is anyone else kind of growing out of multiplayer run and gun games? I want to see more creative co-operative games. I feel like I've been shooting at the same pixel since cs beta.

I wish http://www.empiresmod.com/drupal/ had caught on more at least that had really deep base building and RTS co-op. L4D is just like toddler warfare anymore.

Is it just me or is anyone else kind of growing out of multiplayer run and gun games? I want to see more creative co-operative games. I feel like I've been shooting at the same pixel since cs beta.

I wish http://www.empiresmod.com/drupal/ had caught on more at least that had really deep base building and RTS co-op. L4D is just like toddler warfare anymore.

Im definitely a buff for strategic games. The online games i have put the most hours into are WOW, Dota 2, and Starcraft I and II. Dota 2 is obviously heavy in terms of skill, strategy, and teamwork which is what i absolutely love about it. Id love it even more if i had a few people to play with regularly but all i play are pubs which can be infuriating at times. WOW is fun in raid format because it does take an immense amount of teamwork and planning. Starcraft I and II...strategy goes without saying.

That being said this does seem like it will require at a minimum planning and teamwork so it has my interest at a level higher than COD or BF

Looks interesting! Though would be kinda lonely playing as the big alien :)

It looks great for a LAN game, though the cryengine stuff isn't a massive positive for me - it's beautiful, but it has never felt very 'tight' to me (if that makes any sense). Even with a decent framerate it has always felt like there is more latency in the Crysis games than others.

It looks great for a LAN game, though the cryengine stuff isn't a massive positive for me - it's beautiful, but it has never felt very 'tight' to me (if that makes any sense). Even with a decent framerate it has always felt like there is more latency in the Crysis games than others.

i hear you
crysis 2 and 3 felt clunky at times when playing. like a frame would randomly skip or something.
its hard to explain but i know what you're saying.

hopefully this is just an issue with the developer and not the engine itself.

anyways, official trailer is out.
no gameplay though.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlaPT08Tmxc#t=124

Clever. Hope they take some inspiration from Shadow of the Colossus.

Based on the gameplay it looks nothing like that. If anything, it's more like Giants: Citizen Kabuto but without the RTS elements (or colorful humor).

Also reminds me of AvP Predator Hunt.

EDIT: For those saying no gameplay videos...they were posted over here earlier today:

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1806001

I hope you are able to just do co-op with humans and not HAVE to PvP with some other guy as the monster.

Last edited:
Im pretty excited for this game after seeing those gameplay videos

I dont get truly excited on a PC game anymore, but this looks fantastic.

Definitely looking good.

Was skeptical when I saw it on Amazon the other day while browsing the PS4 games. Now that there's some actual gameplay footage, I'm pretty much sold.

Here beastie beastie beastie... I have a carrot for you...!

Definitely looking good.

Was skeptical when I saw it on Amazon the other day while browsing the PS4 games. Now that there's some actual gameplay footage, I'm pretty much sold.

Here beastie beastie beastie... I have a carrot for you...!

Actually, in this game, you are the carrot and the beastie wants to eat you!

Actually, in this game, you are the carrot and the beastie wants to eat you!

seems like both ways.
the humans are actually trying to hunt the monster.
the monster starts off small, and if i understand right must kill other creatures in order to evolve into the bigger monster.

I'm glad the video mentioned there would be AI fill-ins for less than 5 players. Sounds like it's shaping up to be awesome.

Speak for yourself. L4D's MP is legendary for a reason.

agreed.
i have over 800 hours in l4d2, i dont think ive come close to that in any other game.
i have less than 200 hours in bf3 and i have had that since day one.

the only problem is the raging and griefing.
but since this game is going to require a decent pc to run, it should root out most the pest from l4d2.

raging shouldnt be a problem since im assuming each player and the monster only have one life.

a ban system would be nice, such as in cs go.

"mother of god" pic

i dont want to wait until fall!

this game looks incredible and i still cannot believe it doesnt have the hype it seems to deserve.

My sentiments exactly.

While FPS single-player (campaign) is becoming more and more multiplayer, I've always wondered how Co-op campaigns would fare. I'm keeping a close eye on this game.

I would love to see FPS and RTS hybrids, but the execution has always been difficult and lacking. Natural Selection 2 is another FPS and RTS hybrid.

The problems I see are: As the commander, you are at the whims of incompetent players. Well, I wouldn't say incompetent, more like disorganized. It doesn't work that well in multiplayer, but I believe it'll work better in co-op campaigns. The opposite is also true, the players are at the whims of an incompetent commander. Ok maybe not incompetent, but probably someone who wants something that is a little more casual (no such thing as casual in multiplayer), and the co-op campaigns would work better in this case. Alas, NS2 and the likes are all multiplayer, and that means turnover is high. With a high turnover, commanders work with fewer players. A game like that will be boring as fuck.

when I saw the birds scattering above the tree line, it brought a little bit of Jurassic Park back to me... :eek:

Back