Internet Explorer vs. Firefox

Which browser would you prefer between the below options?

• Total voters

MaXimus

[H]ard|Gawd
what would you choose and why? IE6? IE7 Beta 2? or Firefox?

I personally love the tabs idea but i'm sticking with IE6 since I hate the GUI of Firefox, and I can't use IE7 Beta2 since it never saves cookies, everytime I restart they get cleared out and I have to re-enter my passwords on all forums and emails that I have.

I can't wait till IE 7 is released officially!

Um, firefox has skin, BTW. You can make it look exactly like IE if you want.

I don't see what's so great about IE 7. Sure maybe it's not crappy, I don't know. At best it's FireFox- minus extensions. I like the way it handles tab a bit better, but that can be taken care of with a skin or an extension or something.

Obi_Kwiet said:
Um, firefox has skin, BTW. You can make it look exactly like IE if you want.

I don't see what's so great about IE 7. Sure maybe it's not crappy, I don't know. At best it's FireFox- minus extensions. I like the way it handles tab a bit better, but that can be taken care of with a skin or an extension or something.
can you post a screen shot of the skin that looks like the IE?

HighwayAssassins said:
Firefox forever because of brand loyalty, and ie just sucks.
yeah great! Firefox for teh W!n IE sucks! :rolleyes: I like the way you laid out all the facts to convince everyone here!

MaXimus said:
yeah great! Firefox for teh W!n IE sucks! :rolleyes: I like the way you laid out all the facts to convince everyone here!
But aren't there already many threads which lay out the differences between the two, and people arguing between Firefox and IE?

There are a couple of minor points as to why I use Firefox (unless I HAVE to use IE).....but mainly I prefer to use a browser that is not integrated/tied-into the OS. If Firefox became compromised, I would feel better (more secure) knowing its a stand-alone program, and not part of the OS.

Monkey34 said:
There are a couple of minor points as to why I use Firefox (unless I HAVE to use IE).....but mainly I prefer to use a browser that is not integrated/tied-into the OS. If Firefox became compromised, I would feel better (more secure) knowing its a stand-alone program, and not part of the OS.
sorry but why on earth would you prefer to use a browser that is not integrated into the OS? What does that have to do with anything?

MaXimus said:
sorry but why on earth would you prefer to use a browser that is not integrated into the OS? What does that have to do with anything?

Being integrated into the OS means that if the browser's security is compromised, the system's security is likely compromised. Also, Microsoft has a history of implementing new untested proprietary functions that cause security problems (like when ActiveX came out), so in those reguards Firefox has proven it's self safer.

Unless something has changed, IE (6 or 7) doesn't deserve to be on the same list as Firefox.

You can't view application/xhtml+xml pages in IE.

IE7 probably still ignores script elements with type="application/x-javascript" and the proper type "application/javascript" on pages. IE6 ignores them.

Applets properly loaded with the object element according to HTML4, are ignored and so are most plug-ins in the same situation.

IE is just silly. Surfing with it is just horrible. It's very imcompatible with modern, standard code.

Firefox, because of tabs.

But I've heard that the latest IE will have tabs?

Shadow2531 said:
Unless something has changed, IE (6 or 7) doesn't deserve to be on the same list as Firefox.

You can't view application/xhtml+xml pages in IE.

IE7 probably still ignores script elements with type="application/x-javascript" and the proper type "application/javascript" on pages. IE6 ignores them.

Applets properly loaded with the object element according to HTML4, are ignored and so are most plug-ins in the same situation.

IE is just silly. Surfing with it is just horrible. It's very imcompatible with modern, standard code.

I voted for firefox, but my one major annoyance is that it doesnt render some webpages correctly, especially a few m$ ones. I have to load up IE to get them to show correctly. No experience with surfing with IE though, so can't say anything about pages rendering incorrectly there.

MaXimus said:
did you really just say that?

NokshisR2 said:
But aren't there already many threads which lay out the differences between the two, and people arguing between Firefox and IE?
There are, but why search and do your own research and reading, when you can create a thread and have everyone else do your work for you? Oh, right...postcount++

I had IE7 installed on my computer...for about 2 hours and then took it off because it slowed everything down, including the file Explorer as well! I know someone tried IE7 and he ended up having to reformat his machine...Firefox is far superior to IE in everyway.

But then again...that's just my 2 cents...

Firefox is way ahead of the game as far as developments go, in my opinion. I do enjoy IE 7 beta 2 but if I had to go back to IE6, I would not be happy. Tabs are everyone's favorite. Search engines built into the browser are super nice. IE 6 ran its course a long time ago.

Can't wait to see FireFox 2.0, then see what Microsoft does to IE 7 to make them more even keval.

Firefox. It's faster, it's faster and it's faster. It also funs faster. Oh yeah and it doesn't wreak havoc with Windows if "messed with".

elleana said:
I voted for firefox, but my one major annoyance is that it doesnt render some webpages correctly, especially a few m$ ones. I have to load up IE to get them to show correctly. No experience with surfing with IE though, so can't say anything about pages rendering incorrectly there.
With the IE Tab extension, I haven't had any probs so far...

I love my firefox, every bit faster makes a difference with dial up.

Slartibartfast said:
Firefox ftw!

No ActiveX = safe pr0n surfing :D

I sell cars online and no Active X also equals I can't use Firefox with my Merchant account, Cars.com account, and various others. But for personal use I'm all for Firefox. I saw a web page that installs ActiveX in FF but I haven't tried it.

Both suck ass. I got hooked on firefox before it turned into a buggy flaming pile about .2 versions ago. They suck. Don't agree, you suck! <- Going to get flamed anyway, so might as well. Firefox sucks! IE sucks!

If you must know firefox doesn't even track my downloads anymore. Making it worthless for DL'ing anything not 1 meg. I wait until my icon for said app or document turns into something real (you know how partial downloads look like unrecognized files), that's how I know it's done. I've uninstalled and reinstalled ad nauseum.

Firefox. Tabs, extensions, security is all that needs to be said.

i always bounce between IE6 and Firefox and Opera, they all do the same thing, i like adblock in firefox, but i like integrated ftp in IE (i know there are plugins for firefox, but i just like the simpleness of the IE one)

texuspete00 said:
Both suck ass. I got hooked on firefox before it turned into a buggy flaming pile about .2 versions ago. They suck. Don't agree, you suck! <- Going to get flamed anyway, so might as well. Firefox sucks! IE sucks!

If you must know firefox doesn't even track my downloads anymore. Making it worthless for DL'ing anything not 1 meg. I wait until my icon for said app or document turns into something real (you know how partial downloads look like unrecognized files), that's how I know it's done. I've uninstalled and reinstalled ad nauseum.

That's a bummer, Pete. So.... how the frick did you just post that? Telekinesis? You don't use any browsers? Perhaps hyperterminal? hehe

i voted ie6/7because firefox isnt not 100% compatible.

where as ie is (im sure there are some bullshit sites out there that ie wont work, but nothing i've ever run into

I gave up FireFox for Opera. Simply the best browser in my opinion.

I had too many problems with FireFox with incompatible pages, bugs, crashes, ect.

I just use both. IE for general surfing for sites that I know are safe, and Firefox for pr0n and other questionable stuff. I have too many problems with plugins in Firefox to use it all the time, and some pages I go to have menus that just refuse to work correctly with it, unlike with IE.

MaXimus said:

uhm.. one word - security

Back