Interlagos has landed

Any Supermicro 4p board can be overclocked. We are only talking 12.5% max, and it is a pain the the rear to do, but it can be done.

Well, 12.5% is just hitting the turbo button that they forgot to install on the board :p

Any 4 socket boards that yall can OC?

With much wailing and gnashing of teeth you can coax a moderate bus overclock out of the supermicro boards. All of the G34 2P and 4P boards support running with any number of processors between 1 and their max. Note that with the newer supermicro boards the 2nd and 3rd cpu socket are VERY close to each other and prevent use of the modded Hyper 212+ or Noctua coolers many of us use on other G34 boards. If you want the oc'd 4p to be anything but loud, consider budgetting for watercooling.

maybe the turbo + 12.5% OC can make 4P IL more attractive

We are able to overclock the magny cours chips because there is a lot of scaling headroom in them at stock volts that amd never utilized. However as Patriot can attest, voltage droop does become an issue on 4P boards over 3 ghz even with the lower power magny cours chips. Between the higher power draw and higher base clock of Interlagos, there is a chance it won't have sufficient voltage headroom to oc as well. Then again it may oc fine but the improvement would only be vs a stock clocked magny, in reality any board that can OC the Interlagos could OC the magny's so the relative performance would remain the same.

Now if tear can work out unlocking higher turbos on interlagos chips however, we would be in business!

Any 4 socket boards that yall can OC?

no and good luck finding an ES chip thats unlocked. if you do find one expect to pay out the ass to get it. the odds of finding 1 are slim, the odds of finding 4 are highly unlikely.

no and good luck finding an ES chip thats unlocked. if you do find one expect to pay out the ass to get it. the odds of finding 1 are slim, the odds of finding 4 are highly unlikely.

As expected, that statement is completely wrong on all counts.

A. Supermicro boards can apply bus overclocks to retail chips, this is mentioned several times literally right above your post.

B. All ES chips are unlocked, you do not need to specifically locate one that is ES and also unlocked.

Troll much? Seriously? here let me help you with some simple facts...

All MC and IL ES chips are unlocked...

hard to find...yes... impossible? no.
how do I know ... there are 5 quad MC ES rigs and 1 2p MC ES rig inside of [H]
I know there are other teams that have them as well....

for the non-es chips the supermicro clockgen has been found (sfield and tear)
as the others said before you... ~12% bus clock... I believe musky has his board at 225...

I to have a 4P MC ES rig still looking for more but you guys keep snapping them up;)

I just put together a second 4p and a 2p but with stock chips anyone done a how to for the supermicro clockgen?

I would love to know how its done:)

Troll much? Seriously? here let me help you with some simple facts...

All MC and IL ES chips are unlocked...

hard to find...yes... impossible? no.
how do I know ... there are 5 quad MC ES rigs and 1 2p MC ES rig inside of [H]
I know there are other teams that have them as well....

for the non-es chips the supermicro clockgen has been found (sfield and tear)
as the others said before you... ~12% bus clock... I believe musky has his board at 225...

i never said they WEREN'T unlocked. i just said they are hard to find, especially when you compare it to intel ES chips. its not like AMD hands out ES chips like candy to people in comparison to intel.

I to have a 4P MC ES rig still looking for more but you guys keep snapping them up;)

I just put together a second 4p and a 2p but with stock chips anyone done a how to for the supermicro clockgen?

I would love to know how its done:)

lol...that makes 6 then... 6 4p ES rigs since July...so if you keep your eyes on fleabay... not that hard.
as far as the clockgen... come onto irc you will get stepped through... currently it requires a bios flash... but they are working on an alternative way.

Any Supermicro 4p board can be overclocked. We are only talking 12.5% max, and it is a pain the the rear to do, but it can be done.
I think Sfield has a higher overclock...

i never said they WEREN'T unlocked. i just said they are hard to find, especially when you compare it to intel ES chips. its not like AMD hands out ES chips like candy to people in comparison to intel.

If I give a huge benefit of the doubt, I can chalk the ES comment up to very poor wording. You did however still claim that there were no overclockable 4P boards despite the fact several of us had just confirmed there are. If you don't know something, why is it so hard for you to resist the urge to make arrogant and spurious statements that have no factual basis and only serve to spread misinformation? This has been and ongoing issue with many of your posts and I think the other DC members will agree that it needs to stop.

Cool, didn't know they had "tamales" in the US..

THey sell them in a can at the local grocery store. They also taste frickin horrible. As far as real tamales go, they are a high risk food item.

Warm feelings from the middle east oughta cool this off lol

Anyways, what do you search for on flea bay, just the processor name and ES? I never really searched for ES chips, I just got on board the hex feeding frenzy and was broke then lol.

For example, OS6272WKTGGGU is the PN for a tray 6272, add WOF on the end I think for a boxed OEM one, what does an ES look like to you ebay snipers? I'm gonna be super short on money as this deployment is wrapping up quicker than expected (first time thats EVER happened in the military lol) so I may have to settle for a 2P to replace an SR2. I'd like to go with atleast dual 6272's. 32 cores oughta be a good low power folder, compared to 2 blazing hot 5530's OC'd like a mofo lol

Warm feelings from the middle east oughta cool this off lol

Anyways, what do you search for on flea bay, just the processor name and ES? I never really searched for ES chips, I just got on board the hex feeding frenzy and was broke then lol.

For example, OS6272WKTGGGU is the PN for a tray 6272, add WOF on the end I think for a boxed OEM one, what does an ES look like to you ebay snipers? I'm gonna be super short on money as this deployment is wrapping up quicker than expected (first time thats EVER happened in the military lol) so I may have to settle for a 2P to replace an SR2. I'd like to go with atleast dual 6272's. 32 cores oughta be a good low power folder, compared to 2 blazing hot 5530's OC'd like a mofo lol

PM sent, we can't share all the tricks on the public forum ;)

PM sent, we can't share all the tricks on the public forum ;)

and come onto irc if your watching one... to avoid bidding against other [H]...

filter didn't follow protocol and I sniped a 6128 from him...

Ok, got them installed and running. 6903 times went from 46 min/frame to 31 min/frame. PPD went from 88k to 150k. They've been up and running for 12 hours now with no problems....

That would be right in line with 2 x 6172s dodecas, which I believe is what we figured. Any idea on power draw?

The Interlagos cpus are only 50% faster in TPF than your 8 core Magnys. If we extrapolate that means that 16 "core" Interlagos with 2.5Ghz turbo will be identical to a 12 core 2GHz Magney chip. The prices are still very good though.

filter didn't follow protocol and I sniped a 6128 from him...

lol i didn't know there was a protocol and i still wouldn't of matter cause it went higher then what i was willing to spend at the time.

Heh, Ars Technica has posted their benches and review. See if you can guess how they feel from the article title alone....
http://arstechnica.com/business/new...chmarks-are-here-and-theyre-a-catastrophe.ars
Funny, that's not quite what they said in their email announcement (goodwork JF and co. you nearly had me for a second).

edit: After ready this, I really do not understand why they released this at all. They would have had more success with just scaling down Magnycore to 32mn (tweaks aside), just doing this would have given them lower power consumption and faster clocks :confused:. I still believe the module type architecture will one day be a success, but it is fair from 'ready' today.

Last edited:
The Interlagos cpus are only 50% faster in TPF than your 8 core Magnys. If we extrapolate that means that 16 "core" Interlagos with 2.5Ghz turbo will be identical to a 12 core 2GHz Magney chip. The prices are still very good though.

I haven’t gotten a 6903 with my latest settings but my 2P Magny-Cours dodeca at 3.2ghz does around 20:45 tpf on them. Comparing to SatTech’s numbers, my tpf is 33% better for a 28% faster clock speed. Put another way, those chips would need to be clocked to 3.45ghz to match the magny’s at 3.2ghz.

This of course doesn't account for the fact that the new chips have 33% more cores but so long as we compare top end to top end I will ignore that for now. From these calculations it seems that a 16 core Interlagos will provide a tpf 8% slower than an equivalently clocked 12 core Magny. I'd like to see comparisons to other magny rigs so we can validate that comparison value.

Also, these numbers are made with the assumption that your chips are hitting their ‘all core turbo’ speed of 2.5ghz, have you been able to confirm this?

Last edited:
I haven’t gotten a 6903 with my latest settings but my 2P Magny-Cours dodeca at 3.2ghz does around 20:45 tpf on them. Comparing to SatTech’s numbers, my tpf is 33% better for a 28% faster clock speed. Put another way, those chips would need to be clocked to 3.45ghz to match the magny’s at 3.2ghz.

This of course doesn't account for the fact that the new chips have 33% more cores but so long as we compare top end to top end I will ignore that for now. From these calculations it seems that a 16 core Interlagos will provide a tpf 8% slower than an equivalently clocked 12 core Magny. I'd like to see comparisons to other magny rigs so we can validate that comparison value.

Also, these numbers are made with the assumption that your chips are hitting their ‘all core turbo’ speed of 2.5ghz, have you been able to confirm this?

The clock-speed display that comes with Ubuntu shows a clock speed of 2.5. I don't have any 3rd party tools installed as I'm a linux noob...

From a pure performance standpoint, they are disapointing. Though from a cost perspective, they're not bad. Retail, they're about 100 bucks cheaper than the cheapest 12 core MC chips... As I stated in IRC, I'm going to go to work till the end of January, but intend to migrate these over to a 4P rig when I get back.

Sooo I guess I aim for 4ghz with my IL dodecas huh....

Somewhere, an electric company is salivating

well.... I have deduced (trial and error) that I am on >15A circuit if not... I don't know why its not popped yet...but I actually have some peltiers ... just need to go talk to a friend for a seperate power supply....

well.... I have deduced (trial and error) that I am on >15A circuit if not... I don't know why its not popped yet...but I actually have some peltiers ... just need to go talk to a friend for a seperate power supply....
where's our old buddy John when you need him :)

This just in.

Dorm room burns down after trying to cool computer.

Last edited:
Whats the price on a pair of 6172's that you used to OC for these comparisons?

You can get 2 16 core IL's for about a grand, whats the dual do-decas run (OCable chips)?

OK, EDIT

so just under a grand for a pair of 6172's (stock, not Spicy)
just over a grand for a pair of 6272's (stock, not Spicy)

comparisons between the two if I can only get stock CPU's?

I guess I should ask for power draw figures, as the 6172's don't even seem to reach the rank of my 5640's at 3.6 Ghz, but then again stock chips will pull a lot less so I gotta factor that in

Last edited:
Whats the price on a pair of 6172's that you used to OC for these comparisons?

You can get 2 16 core IL's for about a grand, whats the dual do-decas run (OCable chips)?

OK, EDIT

so just under a grand for a pair of 6172's (stock, not Spicy)
just over a grand for a pair of 6272's (stock, not Spicy)

comparisons between the two if I can only get stock CPU's?

I guess I should ask for power draw figures, as the 6172's don't even seem to reach the rank of my 5640's at 3.6 Ghz, but then again stock chips will pull a lot less so I gotta factor that in

Unless you snatch G34 chips at a nice price, 4P is where they shine. Otherwise a 1366 dual or used SR-2 setup is the way to go for the +/- 1k to spend.

where's our old buddy John when you need him :)

I was thinking of
Uncle John for the psu ... but also knew that only you would know who I was talking about...

So... I think we can say Interlagos has crash landed...and the prices are well...as low as they perform... used Interlagos are already popping up on ebay...

I was thinking of
Uncle John for the psu ... but also knew that only you would know who I was talking about...

So... I think we can say Interlagos has crash landed...and the prices are well...as low as they perform... used Interlagos are already popping up on ebay...

Hey, they would be very nice chips and $300 or so.

lol...that makes 6 then... 6 4p ES rigs since July...so if you keep your eyes on fleabay... not that hard.
as far as the clockgen... come onto irc you will get stepped through... currently it requires a bios flash... but they are working on an alternative way.

I think Sfield has a higher overclock...

Hi everbody. It is my first post on this forum.

I own a supermicro motherboard H8QGL-6F with four watercooled opteron 6128 HE and i would like to overclock with clockgen in order to improve my PPD with foldinghome.

So, could you PM my the method to increase the bus by 12,5%, please ?

Last edited:
Back