Interlagos has landed

If you go on the IRC channel in the sticky you will be able to chat with some helpful 4p type cats.

Ok, 4 6274 are due tomorrow.
I flashed the bios for my H8QGi-F to the latest (a28?)

Seemed to go ok, except Ubuntu no longer recognises the onboard NIC.

Tried everything I can think of.

Anyone have any ideas?

Do you have a way to measure power draw? I'm really hoping these chips do better than they look right now :(

Do you have a way to measure power draw? I'm really hoping these chips do better than they look right now :(

We will have more information on that shortly vaulter. Tear has a 4th Opteron 6282 on the way. He had it up and running with 3x 6282 and 1x 6276, but it was not the ideal arrangement.

From what I can tell, they are not horrible chips. AMD could do better but they do have a performance capability. We will know more in the comming weeks.

I have a USB dongle in there for the short term. I'd really like to get the onboard network working.

I don't have a meter to check power consumption, but I may stop and get one tonight.

Anyone know what kind of numbers tear was pulling with the 3 interlagos?

Just posting baseline.
Got the processors and a Kill-a-watt, but SWMBO wants to catch a movie tonight.

Since she doesn't give me a hard time for all the boxen, it's the least I can do.

Happy wives make happy folders.

4 6172 give me 21.22 TPF on a 6904 @ 620 Watts.

I plan to drop the 6274's in with no other changes at first just to see what happens.

damn.. 439k PPD.. thats more PPD in 1 day from one rig then i did in a year on my account even though i haven't folded on my own account in almost 2 years, lol.

The only tweak on this box is Tear's Kraken (thank you Tear!).

I'm pretty excited to see how these processors run too.

I may have to leave work early today. :D

dwdawg, load optimal defaults in the BIOS (it was DSee who actually found it, thanks!)
then tweak as usual.

It seems there's some non-obvious option (or perhaps not even visible?) that makes
the Ethernet go away after a flash (or CMOS reset). 'Load optimal' brings it back.
This started with v1.1 IIRC.

Last edited:
dwdawg, load optimal defaults in the BIOS (it was DSee who actually found it, thanks!)
then tweak as usual.

It seems there's some non-obvious option (or perhaps not even visible?) that makes
the Ethernet go away after a flash (or CMOS reset). 'Load optimal' brings it back.
This started with v1.1 IIRC.

Thank you again Tear, I will try this. I was going to pull the battery next and try that, but your suggestion is easier :)

The 6274 are cooking now. I just finished replacing them. Took about 40 minutes total with cleanup and all.

Power usage is up to approx 675 watts.

The only change I made was to the command line (bigadv smp 64).

I want to see what a drop in replacement with no other changes will do.

I will try loading optimal settings later tonight.

I'm off to take the middle child to her concert. She started steel drums at some point. I expect dreadlocks and a huge blunt. :D

I'm going to report back later tonight with TPF. The current 6904 was running 22:00 even when I interrupted it.

This is fun!

Well, this is going to disappoint some folks.
I'm down to 20:56 TPF.

Not really worth the extra 50-60 watts.

I'm going to load optimal settings, make sure NUMA is active, and see if anything changes.

If anyone wants to throw out bios setting suggestions, I'll do them one at a time to see what difference they make.

If they weren't cheaper than MC, I'm not sure I'd buy them.

Bah!

Loaded optimized defaults and it's now using 710 watts with no change in TPF.

On the plus side, onboard NIC came back.

Bah!

Loaded optimized defaults and it's now using 710 watts with no change in TPF.

On the plus side, onboard NIC came back.

16 Billion transistors will do that for you. Its too bad its no faster, however the power draw is kind of relieving in a perverse way because it makes me feel better about my motherboard's lifespan with my highly overclocked magny's. ;)

Is there any possibility that we could undervolt the chips through tpc or another tool?

So we have VERY simmilar TPF as my 4P 6174 rig, but with 100-200 more watts pulled.

Fun :rolleyes:

451052 PPD roughly, at a PPD/W of about 670
Some rounding, both up and down, but that's pretty much where you are at right now with 4x 6274's

Comparing ebay prices as of right now, the diff is less than $50 between getting 4 chips of either the 6174's (12c Magny) or the 6274's (16c Interlago), so there's no price advantage on the chips, and they use the same board so there's no savings there, it just boils down to the price to run the machine, and Magny is taking that lead right now :(

Any hopes for some improvements to the efficency of these chips, like in that interview where AMD said patches were coming out for win7 to improve how it gets handled, any hopes of seeing the Interlagos chips becoming what they were supposed to be?

I can see where the next version of these chips along with software that can use the new style of chip better will help. That said, I have a feeling magny will rule the roost till a refresh.

There are some improvements to be had with software patches. Windows 8 has these improvements built in. But don't expect any miracles.

There are some improvements to be had with software patches. Windows 8 has these improvements built in. But don't expect any miracles.

I'm still holding out some hope for a phenom II like refresh. Pair that with a 10% bump in software and now your talking.

I thought that Linux was already optimised for the architecture, it was just windows that wasn't.

Bit dissapointed myself, my non-overclocked 6176 rig is pulling 519,563.21 @ 19m per frame on a 6904 and that uses enough power as it is.

From what I know OS improvements can't really change anything. The simulation core would need to be rewritten with optimizations to make sure that it is putting all 8 integer cores to maximum use. I think the current core uses a lot of floating point so that is what bottlenecks FAH because there are fewer FPU cores in bulldozer than last gen.

Its the linux 3.0 kernel that's better optimised, what version are you using?

Will build a 2p from scratch - probably will go with the cheapest 16 core opteron,

For the record, gains up to 3%. No magic wand here :)

Does someone know if ddr 1600 vs ddr 1333 improve the performance of interlagos significantly ?

Did someone tried to overclock interlagos with setfsb ( improvement of 10-15% with magnycours but sadly windows only ) ?

We haven't done much testing yet, but were working on it.

I'm still hopefull for this platform. Only thing is the power draw, that's the one factor you can't ever change. Software can be updated, prices can change, but the power draw is always the same (or higher if you OC lol)

Kinda depressing tho, because if chip prices fell a tad more than it could be competative, but it's not quite a good choice yet

Well, power draw looks about equal or slightly more, the prices of the chips (new) are great ($540 for 6272 vs. $1020 for 6172 new on the egg, much less for used 6172s on feeBay). For those of us considering the new chips, either would likely be a good choice. In the months of time that will go by before I am able to build a new rig, more numbers and processors will come out, so we'll see what happens.

16 Billion transistors will do that for you. Its too bad its no faster, however the power draw is kind of relieving in a perverse way because it makes me feel better about my motherboard's lifespan with my highly overclocked magny's. ;)

Is there any possibility that we could undervolt the chips through tpc or another tool?
AMD has backtracked and said that it's not 2B for an 8 core BD, it's only 1.2B. That puts 4 interlagos at just under 10 billion transistors.

Got rudimentary F15h support in TPC (enough to change CPU voltages and multipliers); will
take some time to clean up before any commits happen.

Nonetheless, it's possible to change them (subject to usual limits) and is not a major
challenge.

I wish I had the funds for this. I'm kind of like a new starving artist doing 3D modeling work, and this would make production go SO much quicker. I'm not making much money, so poo...

Back