Intel's 8th Generation Core Family - Coffee Lake (LGA 1151, 6C/12T)

Where do you expect Core i7-8700K's Turbo to land?

• 3.8/3.9 GHz

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4.0/4.1 GHz

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • 4.2/4.3 GHz

Votes: 6 46.2%
  • 4.4/4.5 GHz

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • 4.6/4.7 GHz

Votes: 1 7.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Woah. So it would probably be zen+ vs coffee lake next year. And when I just think I will have a really tough time deciding which cpu to go next year with either zen2 vs icelake.

Coffee Lake NUCs and KBL-H with discrete GFX NUCs. Hello Volta? :whistle:

Intel-NUC-Roadmap-2018-2019.png

I hope this doesn't mean that Icelake is delayed, but it tells me that the 8/16t CPU is CFL

Last edited:
Those prices are not official from what I can tell. From what I see is just a few offshore vendors selling them at possibly pre-release or first day release inflated prices.

In reality the 8700K HAS to literally compete with the 1600 series Ryzen. One of the big things that will cause a person to go AMD over a cup of coffee is the much higher multithreaded performance

I am considering purchasing a 8700k if the price is low enough for a bedroom PC upstairs in my guest room but not for $400.00.

I already have a Threadripper and I was willing to get a 7980xe until I seen the price months ago at $2000 just for the CPU. Intel needs to really consider how they price coffee lake right now. Just my opinion.

I am just gambling that Microcenter is going to have the best deals with the motherboard cpu combo savings. If I do an 8700K it will be an ITX for sure. I might just give it a 1050 ti and use it for a high performance gaming system with moderate performance graphics.

Those prices are not official from what I can tell. From what I see is just a few offshore vendors selling them at possibly pre-release or first day release inflated prices.

In reality the 8700K HAS to literally compete with the 1600 series Ryzen. One of the big things that will cause a person to go AMD over a cup of coffee is the much higher multithreaded performance

I am considering purchasing a 8700k if the price is low enough for a bedroom PC upstairs in my guest room but not for $400.00.

I already have a Threadripper and I was willing to get a 7980xe until I seen the price months ago at $2000 just for the CPU. Intel needs to really consider how they price coffee lake right now. Just my opinion.

I am just gambling that Microcenter is going to have the best deals with the motherboard cpu combo savings. If I do an 8700K it will be an ITX for sure. I might just give it a 1050 ti and use it for a high performance gaming system with moderate performance graphics.

8700K vs the 1600? Hahahaha that's a good one. :D

3.2Ghz 6 core Ryzen with ST? 3.6Ghz boost and more than not SB IPC, against a 8700K that clocks 4.3Ghz on all cores with turbo and 4.7Ghz ST.

MT wise the 8700K is around the 1800X. In less than optimal threads for the 1800X the 8700K runs in circles around it. Expect big price cuts on the entire Ryzen lineup.

So Anand took the UK pricing and directly converted it to USD and they didn't even take away the 20% VAT, #Clickbait

More than likely if it =£350 it'll = $350

8700k:
80c p95 (non AVX, no delid)
240mm asetek rad
4.9ghz core/cache
1.29v (with vdroop)

Is what I'm being told, this is a retail chip.

Reactions: akiba
like this
Cannon lake Desktop is cancelled afaik, it isn't coming, Icelake is

Which is why in worried, if the so called "pipe cleaner" cannonlake is delayed I imagine Icelake could be too

H2 ranges anywhere from q3-q4 which is a 6 month period. Its still possible that the 8/16 is Icelake(10nm+), but it's not cannon because that's ultra low power mobile only.

HEDT is not main stream. i remember it originally meaning hyper enthusiast but its dwindled to high end desktop. main stream pc is the $1k-1.5k range not HEDTs $2k+.

"If you look at a picture like this (see below) Intel 10nm is planted suspiciously at EUV 2D limit, my observation is that Intel gambled hard on EUV being ready and now they are trying some ridiculous patterning scheme to replicate the specs without EUV. The ironic thing is that now it is looking like everyone else will also beat Intel to EUV."
mHn4fv1.png

This can't possibly be good.

Woah. So it would probably be zen+ vs coffee lake next year. And when I just think I will have a really tough time deciding which cpu to go next year with either zen2 vs icelake.

There is no Zen+ anymore. It was renamed to Zen2. Next year is Zen vs CoffeLake.

Don't worry, some of the biased sites will manage to make some review where the 1600 will be painted as "competitive" vs the 8700K.

Some elements for the recipe:

* Ignore warnings, chose a mobo incompatible with the Intel chip, and don't say it in the review.
* Test an engineering sample instead a retail chip, but don't label it as "ES" in the graphs.
* Compare stock Intel vs overclock AMD, but don't label it as "OC" in the graphs.
* Chose GPU-bound and frame-limiting settings for games.
* Chose lots of rendering applications: Cinebench, Blender, Corona, Blender (yes twice),...
* Use biased language. If AMD wins by 20% on some benc, then AMD is "smashing Intel". If Intel wins by 30% then "Zen is fast enough".
* And so on.

Last edited:
Don't worry, some of the biased sites will manage to make some review where the 1600 will be pained as "competitive" vs the 8700K.

Some elements for the recipe:

* Ignore warnings, chose a mobo incompatible with the Intel chip, and don't say it in the review.
* Test an engineering sample instead a retail chip, but don't label it as "ES" in the graphs.
* Compare stock Intel vs overclock AMD, but don't label it as "OC" in the graphs.
* Chose GPU-bound and frame-limiting settings for games.
* Chose lots of rendering applications: Cinebench, Blender, Corona, Blender (yes twice),...
* Use biased language. If AMD wins by 20% on some benc, then AMD is "smashing Intel". If Intel wins by 30% then "Zen is fast enough".
* And so on.
It depends where you look, as I've certainly seen the opposite on some sites. Reviewers bending over backwards to avoid criticizing Intel/Nvidia.

But I fully expect YouTube reviewers, and other small-scale reviewers, to shill as hard as possible for AMD as that's the only way they get clicks.

10nm_cannonlake_wm.jpg

"Manual counting puts the wafer at around 36 dies across and 35 dies down, which leads to a die size of around 8.2 mm by 8.6 mm, or ~70.5 mm2 per die. At that size, it would suggest we are likely looking at a base dual-core die with graphics: Intel's first 14nm chips in a 2+2 configuration, Broadwell-U, were 82 mm2, so it is likely that we are seeing a 2+2 configuration as well. At that size, we're looking at around 850 dies per wafer."

Here is the new die shot.

I suspect they are:

A. Selling some off (unlikely)

B. Renting them out (Likely due to recent ARM showings)

C. Buying EUV equipment ASAP

Anyone else wanna guess?

Back