Intel Xeon E5-1680 v2 3.0GHz 25MB Cache 8-Core Processor

EnderW

[H]F Junkie
2FA
Joined
Sep 25, 2003
Messages
11,465
Finally...an 8 core single processor CPU!!

There is a God...:D

<Prays that it's unlocked>
 
I thought this was a really interesting chip that basically went unnoticed. The first 8 core Intel CPU for single socket systems.

I don't get it. Why exactly is this CPU interesting?

I mean, sure, the first 8 core Intel CPU for single socket systems, but 10 and 12 core E5-2600V2 CPUs do work in single socket systems too, yes?

And I don' see any significant price advantage for the E5-1680V2 compared to those.

In fact, it seems to me that the E5-2680V2 should perform better (in properly threaded applications), while being offered for the exact same price.

What am I missing?
 
maybe because of the 3.9ghz turbo frequency? Most are much lower

Frankly, I don't think so. Look here, we're talking about 3.9GHz vs. 3.6GHz, a difference of less than 10%. This is not "much" in my book.

On the other hand, we have 25% more cores in the E5-2680V2, which more than evens it out.

Ideally, you can estimate CPU performance by multiplying core count with Gigahertz. If you can do that, the E5-2680V2 should be 15% faster than its single socket cousin.

If you cannot do that, maybe because your shitty applications can't do proper multithreading so that only raw Gigahertz count -- well, in that case you're much better off with the E5-1620V2. It has the same turbo frequency, and 1/6 the price.
 
Frankly, I don't think so. Look here, we're talking about 3.9GHz vs. 3.6GHz, a difference of less than 10%. This is not "much" in my book.

On the other hand, we have 25% more cores in the E5-2680V2, which more than evens it out.

Ideally, you can estimate CPU performance by multiplying core count with Gigahertz. If you can do that, the E5-2680V2 should be 15% faster than its single socket cousin.

If you cannot do that, maybe because your shitty applications can't do proper multithreading so that only raw Gigahertz count -- well, in that case you're much better off with the E5-1620V2. It has the same turbo frequency, and 1/6 the price.

Yeah I can see that but if we're looking at using these CPU's for gaming with streaming then that extra ghz will help in lower threaded performance obviously
 
Yeah I can see that but if we're looking at using these CPU's for gaming with streaming then that extra ghz will help in lower threaded performance obviously

You wouldn't even be looking at Xeons in the first place for gaming, you would be starting at the i5 4670k.
 
I don't get it. Why exactly is this CPU interesting?

I mean, sure, the first 8 core Intel CPU for single socket systems, but 10 and 12 core E5-2600V2 CPUs do work in single socket systems too, yes?

And I don' see any significant price advantage for the E5-1680V2 compared to those.

In fact, it seems to me that the E5-2680V2 should perform better (in properly threaded applications), while being offered for the exact same price.

What am I missing?

Normally, this CPU wouldn't be interesting. But, being the first single processor 8 core CPU, it signifies a shift of Intel's attitude toward higher core counts on the desktop. And if this CPU does indeed prove to be unlocked, then it'll be a big deal indeed. If it's actually unlocked and enthusiasts (and others) buy it to exploit that premise, Intel may be willing to go a little further in the future and give us some more unlocked chips with higher core counts, including some that may be...gasp...dual capable (like the QX9775 was). This may be wishful thinking, and only a small glimmer of hope, but given the total lack of such hope in recent years, I'll take it...;)
 
Still useless for the enthusiast unless applications being used can actually take advantage of the amount of cores/threads.
 
Still useless for the enthusiast unless applications being used can actually take advantage of the amount of cores/threads.

Useless for the average, budget-conscious enthusiast who is primarily focused on gaming and running single-threaded applications? Yes

Useless for the extreme enthusiast, who wants the absolute best, regardless of the cost? Not at all. If these CPUs are indeed unlocked, they will be absolute animals when pushed hard and the extra cores (to say nothing of the extra L3 cache) will be very welcome. This CPU, if it's able to be overclocked, say to a nominal 4.5 GHz, will outrun a 12-core E5-2697 V2 by a wide margin in single-threaded applications and will be a little bit faster in multi-threaded apps as well. All for a price that's approx $1k cheaper...not so bad of a deal, IMHO. The only unfortunate thing is that the E5-1680 V2 isn't SMP capable. If the E5-1680 V2 does indeed prove to be unlocked and sells decently, Intel just might offer more unlocked, high core count single processor SKUs in the future and just maybe, an unlocked SMP SKU.

The million dollar question that inquiring minds want to know and the one that'll determine whether this CPU is a phenomenon or a secondary footnote is if it's unlocked or not...time will tell, I guess...;)
 
Last edited:
I don't get it. Why exactly is this CPU interesting?

I mean, sure, the first 8 core Intel CPU for single socket systems, but 10 and 12 core E5-2600V2 CPUs do work in single socket systems too, yes?

And I don' see any significant price advantage for the E5-1680V2 compared to those.

In fact, it seems to me that the E5-2680V2 should perform better (in properly threaded applications), while being offered for the exact same price.

What am I missing?
to me, it's interesting because the rest of the E5-1600 V2 CPUs have an Ivy Bridge E desktop equivalent
http://ark.intel.com/compare/75779,77781,75780,77780,75781,77779,77912

and I would love to see an unlocked "4990X" or (whatever they would call it) Ivy Bridge E equivalent of the E5-1680
 
Useless for the average, budget-conscious enthusiast who is primarily focused on gaming and running single-threaded applications? Yes

Useless for the extreme enthusiast, who wants the absolute best, regardless of the cost? Not at all. If these CPUs are indeed unlocked, they will be absolute animals when pushed hard and the extra cores (to say nothing of the extra L3 cache) will be very welcome. This CPU, if it's able to be overclocked, say to a nominal 4.5 GHz, will outrun a 12-core E5-2697 V2 by a wide margin in single-threaded applications and will be a little bit faster in multi-threaded apps as well. All for a price that's approx $1k cheaper...not so bad of a deal, IMHO. The only unfortunate thing is that the E5-1680 V2 isn't SMP capable. If the E5-1680 V2 does indeed prove to be unlocked and sells decently, Intel just might offer more unlocked, high core count single processor SKUs in the future and just maybe, an unlocked SMP SKU.

The million dollar question that inquiring minds want to know and the one that'll determine whether this CPU is a phenomenon or a secondary footnote is if it's unlocked or not...time will tell, I guess...;)

Well guess what, this CPU like all other current gen Xeons are fully locked down. There's absolutely no hope at all for overclocking a Xeon, period. Maybe next generation, but that chance is slim to none. There's probably a greater chance of a nuclear war breaking out tomorrow than there is of Intel releasing an overclockable Xeon.
 
to me, it's interesting because the rest of the E5-1600 V2 CPUs have an Ivy Bridge E desktop equivalent
http://ark.intel.com/compare/75779,77781,75780,77780,75781,77779,77912

and I would love to see an unlocked "4990X" or (whatever they would call it) Ivy Bridge E equivalent of the E5-1680

The E5-1600 V2s are roughly equivalent to the Ivy-E i7 CPUs (although the 6-core E5 V2s have a base clock that's 100MHz faster than the comparable i7). The nomenclature and clocking pattern suggests an i7-4980X, clocked at 2.9 GHz would be the equivalent i7 to the E5-1680 V2, filling the missing slot that now exists in the i7 lineup. This slot may be filled at a later date (exactly when is anyone's guess). What is still completely unclear is whether or not the E5-1680 V2 is actually unlocked, either multiplier or BCLK. It should be, but we have no way of knowing for certain. One thing that seems certain though, is that the E5-1680 V2 was a last minute addition to the SKU stack. This CPU isn't mentioned in documentation or datasheets, is totally absent from almost every channel outlet (many of which may not even know that the CPU exists) and almost seems to have been "ninja-launched" by Intel. Time will tell the tale, but it's very possible that this CPU may just be the SKU that makes Ivy-E worth considering.
 
The E5-1600 V2s are roughly equivalent to the Ivy-E i7 CPUs (although the 6-core E5 V2s have a base clock that's 100MHz faster than the comparable i7). The nomenclature and clocking pattern suggests an i7-4980X, clocked at 2.9 GHz would be the equivalent i7 to the E5-1680 V2, filling the missing slot that now exists in the i7 lineup. This slot may be filled at a later date (exactly when is anyone's guess). What is still completely unclear is whether or not the E5-1680 V2 is actually unlocked, either multiplier or BCLK. It should be, but we have no way of knowing for certain. One thing that seems certain though, is that the E5-1680 V2 was a last minute addition to the SKU stack. This CPU isn't mentioned in documentation or datasheets, is totally absent from almost every channel outlet (many of which may not even know that the CPU exists) and almost seems to have been "ninja-launched" by Intel. Time will tell the tale, but it's very possible that this CPU may just be the SKU that makes Ivy-E worth considering.

Do I have to repeat myself? It will not be unlocked. There's a less than 1% chance that you can overclock an IB-E Xeon CPU. Actually, it should be 0%. Intel has made its stance clear with the SR-X debacle. They will not allow any kind of overclocking on any of their Xeon CPUs. Period. That's it. LGA1366 was the last of the overclocking Xeon CPUs.
 
Well guess what, this CPU like all other current gen Xeons are fully locked down. There's absolutely no hope at all for overclocking a Xeon, period. Maybe next generation, but that chance is slim to none. There's probably a greater chance of a nuclear war breaking out tomorrow than there is of Intel releasing an overclockable Xeon.

My current CPU is a Xeon E5-1660 and is currently overclocked to 4.7 GHz. The two-way Xeons are fully locked, but the Xeon E5-1650 and E5-1660 are fully unlocked. I've also seen a screenshot of a Xeon E5-1650 V2 that is also unlocked. The real question is has Intel maintained the unlock typically given to single CPU Xeons with the E5-1680 V2, or have they applied their strategy of fully locking down those Xeons that have more than 6 cores? There's no way of knowing for sure which way Intel has gone with this chip, as it is definitely a landmark CPU with no precedent (being the first uniprocessor 8-core).
 
Do I have to repeat myself? It will not be unlocked. There's a less than 1% chance that you can overclock an IB-E Xeon CPU. Actually, it should be 0%. Intel has made its stance clear with the SR-X debacle. They will not allow any kind of overclocking on any of their Xeon CPUs. Period. That's it. LGA1366 was the last of the overclocking Xeon CPUs.

At the risk of being rude, how many Xeon E5-1600-based systems have you built? Have you actually used a Xeon E5-1650 or Xeon E5-1660 before? If not, please refrain from drawing conclusions about something that you know nothing about.
 
over priced VM host CPU.

move alone, nothing to see here. :)

The CPU isn't cheap, that's for sure. But if it's unlocked, it'll be worth the money, as the power one can extract from such a chip when overclocked to 4.5 GHz would make it a powerhouse, providing excellent single threaded performance, while outrunning any other single CPU in a multithreaded one-on-one comparison, even the E5-2697 V2.
 
single threaded app isn't going to utilize all that cache. This CPU would shine having it's cores split up on VM's. At that point no "enthusiast" is going to drop that coin on a VM host. And no one in their right mind is going to overclock a VM host CPU in a datacenter environment. This is a niche processor.
 
single threaded app isn't going to utilize all that cache. This CPU would shine having it's cores split up on VM's. At that point no "enthusiast" is going to drop that coin on a VM host. And no one in their right mind is going to overclock a VM host CPU in a datacenter environment. This is a niche processor.

The CPU would also work well encoding video in the background while watching a Bluray in one screen and gaming on the other and still having sufficient CPU power to perform any other needed task.

A single threaded app will work best on a regular Haswell. Heavily multi-threaded apps, a great deal of individual tasks or a combination of the two...not so much. This CPU may be niche, but so are many CPUs. Many people can take advantage of this new CPU, myself being one of them. I'm glad this CPU is here and I'm hoping (and praying) that it ends up being unlocked and that Intel releases similar chips (with even more cores) in the future. The thought of an eventual unlocked 12 core makes me happy....:D
 
Useless for the average, budget-conscious enthusiast who is primarily focused on gaming and running single-threaded applications? Yes

Useless for the extreme enthusiast, who wants the absolute best, regardless of the cost? Not at all. If these CPUs are indeed unlocked, they will be absolute animals when pushed hard and the extra cores (to say nothing of the extra L3 cache) will be very welcome. This CPU, if it's able to be overclocked, say to a nominal 4.5 GHz, will outrun a 12-core E5-2697 V2 by a wide margin in single-threaded applications and will be a little bit faster in multi-threaded apps as well. All for a price that's approx $1k cheaper...not so bad of a deal, IMHO. The only unfortunate thing is that the E5-1680 V2 isn't SMP capable. If the E5-1680 V2 does indeed prove to be unlocked and sells decently, Intel just might offer more unlocked, high core count single processor SKUs in the future and just maybe, an unlocked SMP SKU.

The million dollar question that inquiring minds want to know and the one that'll determine whether this CPU is a phenomenon or a secondary footnote is if it's unlocked or not...time will tell, I guess...;)

Agreed with you! I could definitely use the CPU, and that's just for BOINC computing! But I guess I forgot that we are all enthusiasts in some form on this site. Had a little brain flatulence! It would make perfect sense for them to offer an unlocked version, even with low sales, there are individuals who would buy and use it to its full potential, overclocking not just to overclock, but to gain performance in either applications their livelyhood depends on, or for science! Either way, should I come into a small fortune, I'd love to buy a few.
 
My current CPU is a Xeon E5-1660 and is currently overclocked to 4.7 GHz. The two-way Xeons are fully locked, but the Xeon E5-1650 and E5-1660 are fully unlocked.

Wow! I never heard of that! Learn something new every day :D

One qestion though, just to make sure I understand correctly: That Xeon E5-1660 of yours doesn't happen to be an Engineering Sample, perhaps? It is a regular CPU bought through official retail channels, yes?
 
Wow! I never heard of that! Learn something new every day :D

One qestion though, just to make sure I understand correctly: That Xeon E5-1660 of yours doesn't happen to be an Engineering Sample, perhaps? It is a regular CPU bought through official retail channels, yes?

My CPU is a production OEM processor, S-spec SR0KN. Retail examples are also available. I bought mine on eBay and got mine a bit cheaper...;)
 
HP is offering the 1680 v2 as an option in Z620 and Z420 workstations, but you must fork the money for corporate graphics so must builders would be wise to wait for the launch of the new haswell-E Extrem edition CPU.
 
The CPU would also work well encoding video in the background while watching a Bluray in one screen and gaming on the other and still having sufficient CPU power to perform any other needed task.

That's a rather extreme example, but yes, I suppose it would work well if you must game and crunch data at the same time on the same machine. :p

Blu-Ray playback isn't all that demanding on the CPU these days as long as your GPU and drivers can help out.

A single threaded app will work best on a regular Haswell. Heavily multi-threaded apps, a great deal of individual tasks or a combination of the two...not so much. This CPU may be niche, but so are many CPUs. Many people can take advantage of this new CPU, myself being one of them. I'm glad this CPU is here and I'm hoping (and praying) that it ends up being unlocked and that Intel releases similar chips (with even more cores) in the future. The thought of an eventual unlocked 12 core makes me happy....:D

Agreed that regular CPUs are a better fit for single-threaded apps. Actually, they're a better fit for many multi-threaded apps as well. Four cores still goes a long way for most workloads. From a developer perspective, it's increasingly difficult to scale multi-threading performance as the core count goes up. Amdahl's law comes in to play more quickly than expected for a lot of tasks, and I/O constraints can quickly become the bottleneck for a lot of other workloads.

I'd love for this to be unlocked as much as you, but I'd be surprised if it was.

And even then, the price is quite prohibitive. For now.
 
I would love a single socket 8c/16t cpu in my t1650 workstation. Lots of capability in a small footprint. Density is good.
 
I would love a single socket 8c/16t cpu in my t1650 workstation. Lots of capability in a small footprint. Density is good.

The only downside to density is heat.

This CPU has the same turbo speed (3.9GHz) as a 4770K, but the base clock is only 3.0GHz vs 3.5GHz. So we know the cores are both capable of the same clock speeds, but the 8-core part is much more limited on base clock speed to fit within the thermal envelope.

After all, the 8-core Xeon only has 55% more TDP than the 4770K.
 
add bigger heatsink, use more fans. problem solved, lol.

Given the variety and capacity of the water cooling apparatus' available on the market, it wouldn't be the most difficult thing in the world to cool, even if one jacked up the TDP to 250W under a heavy overclock.

Especially considering the graphics cards like the R9-295X2 that are out there that make the power consumption of a CPU with a TDP of 250W look downright miserly.

2xR9-295X2 (CrossfireX)+E5-1680V2 (if unlocked)+rest of system=AX1500i not looking so much like overkill anymore...:D
 
add bigger heatsink, use more fans. problem solved, lol.

Let's just hope they used a proper TIM, otherwise you'll still be at the mercy of the thermal resistance of everything between the CPU die and your proper heatsink.

This is assuming you can get the CPU into a configuration that allows for overclocking in the first place, which is a long shot.
 
Agreed that regular CPUs are a better fit for single-threaded apps. Actually, they're a better fit for many multi-threaded apps as well. Four cores still goes a long way for most workloads. From a developer perspective, it's increasingly difficult to scale multi-threading performance as the core count goes up. Amdahl's law comes in to play more quickly than expected for a lot of tasks, and I/O constraints can quickly become the bottleneck for a lot of other workloads.

I'd love for this to be unlocked as much as you, but I'd be surprised if it was.

And even then, the price is quite prohibitive. For now.

Fro a lot of workloads yes, but for certain stuff, you can scale almost linearly when adding threads. And yes, I do program and know what I am talking about.
 
Sorry for the necro, but it turns out they are fully unlocked...:)

cpuz.jpg


aida64.jpg



And it's not even breathing hard yet...;)
 
Sorry for the necro, but it turns out they are fully unlocked...:)

And it's not even breathing hard yet...;)

Interesting, but this is a screenshot of a ES CPU sample, which we know are often unlocked...If you can find a retail one that is unlocked, I would be interested in knowing for sure..
 
Interesting, but this is a screenshot of a ES CPU sample, which we know are often unlocked...If you can find a retail one that is unlocked, I would be interested in knowing for sure..

This is definitely NOT an ES chip...it's an OEM tray CPU (which is the only way these chips come). The AIDA64 shot clearly says No as to Engineering Sample and the CPU-Z shot has no ES tag.

S-Spec on the chip is SR1MJ.

And a picture of the chip itself:

imagejpg1.jpg
 
Last edited:
Loaded the chip up this morning after letting the AS alumina cure overnight. This chip is amazing. Completely stable at the 4300 MHz with 1.2V. The 1.2V wasn't even set due to a stability need...I just set it there as I figured it would be a good place to start. I never thought that it would end up completely stable at this voltage. Full load temperature was a mere 51°C.

I wonder what this chip is actually capable of...;)
 
Back
Top