Intel X-25M Firmware Update

Old Hippie

Supreme [H]ardness
Release notes.....

2CV102M3 This firmware revision fixes enumeration and slow-boot issues on SATA 6Gb/s
controllers, adds improvements to S.M.A.R.T. attributes for more accurate
reporting of drive health, improves NCQ capability, and fixes possible drive
hangs when reading S.M.A.R.T. self-test log.

Find the update here.

I believe it's only for the G2 units.

This is great. The health went back from 99% to 100%. AS SSD score about the same.

It this update for the INTEL SSDSA2M080G2GC ?

Just want to make sure as I've never updated it before.

According to the download page its for G1 and G2.

Worked well for me, as usual I needed to set my SATA to compatible else the boot CD crashed.

This is great. The health went back from 99% to 100%. AS SSD score about the same.

Same thing happened to me on my 120GB model. That I now paid ~$170 for since the rebate from Black Friday finally arrived. I paid the $3 charge for rush service it does not seem they rushed anything.

Same thing happened to me on my 120GB model. That I now paid ~$170 for since the rebate from Black Friday finally arrived. I paid the $3 charge for rush service it does not seem they rushed anything.

I always thought the rush processing fee was a marketing tool to scam the customers.

Hows this work? Can I do it on the two in my RAID 0 array with no data loss etc? Never flashed my SSD firmware before.

Hows this work? Can I do it on the two in my RAID 0 array with no data loss etc? Never flashed my SSD firmware before.

First and foremost, back up the drive first! Repeat: First and foremost, back up the drive first!

That being said, the process is a no brainer and there is probably very little risk.

The download file is a .iso. Burn the iso to a CD using something like ImgBurn or even Nero.

Make sure your bios is set up to boot first from a CD.

Restart your machine and it will boot off the CD. The all text DOS based dialog will ask a few questions with Y or N answers. It will then update your drive with no intervention by you. It only takes less than 30 seconds for the actual update.

When it is done it will tell you to remove the CD and turn your machine off for at least 10 seconds before restarting.

Your done.

According to the download page its for G1 and G2.

Worked well for me, as usual I needed to set my SATA to compatible else the boot CD crashed.

First and foremost, back up the drive first! Repeat: First and foremost, back up the drive first!

That being said, the process is a no brainer and there is probably very little risk.

The download file is a .iso. Burn the iso to a CD using something like ImgBurn or even Nero.

Make sure your bios is set up to boot first from a CD.

As noted earlier in the thread, while you are into the BIOS change your SATA mode from RAID to Legacy/IDE Mode, then continue...

Restart your machine and it will boot off the CD. The all text DOS based dialog will ask a few questions with Y or N answers. It will then update your drive with no intervention by you. It only takes less than 30 seconds for the actual update.

When it is done it will tell you to remove the CD and turn your machine off for at least 10 seconds before restarting.

Your done.

Then go back to the BIOS and change the SATA setting back to RAID, and the boot priority back to the RAID volume.

I think I'll pass on this, unless there's some real world benefit of NCQ in a raid 0 situation (if it even gets used).

Maybe this update will fix my intel 120gb from bsoding with the amd ahci drivers (my kingston doesn't do this so I know it's not the board or drivers).

Thanks for letting us know!

Well I can now use the amd ahci drivers with my intel drive without a bsod. But now the intel ssd toolbox thinks I am on a raid which I am not.

Hmm. Very strange.

I updated the firmware on my Intel SSD yesterday. All was fine as I played several games, ran a few stability tests.

Today I booted up the computer and I noticed my sound wasn't working. After restarting the computer I got a message from MSI Afterburner saying it couldn't detect RTCore64 (or something like that) and my NIC wasn't working. Restarted again and both were working except I'm now getting UAC messages. I can't disable it as the Window is blank and flashes for a few seconds.

I'll see about reinstalling but that is just weird how everything was fine yesterday night.

UAC was disabled and now it's not?

It was disabled prior and still is showing disabled but I'm getting the pop-ups anytime I open a file. Maybe I got hit with a virus? I ran MalwareBytes in safe mode and it didn't find anything.

It was disabled prior and still is showing disabled but I'm getting the pop-ups anytime I open a file. Maybe I got hit with a virus? I ran MalwareBytes in safe mode and it didn't find anything.
First time I've read anything like that.

I doubt the virus theory.

Just weird.

Lucky you! :D

First time I've read anything like that.

I doubt the virus theory.

Just weird.

Lucky you! :D

lol, :p

But you know what is strange is the news about Intel's sata port issue/recall. So I'm left with either a bad firmware, bugged chipset, or OS.

Yay I love Mondays!

Is this also for the Kingston SSDNow V Series SNV125-S2/30GB? I have one coming in the mail, and I heard they are basically re-branded Intel...

Interesting, I will check back in a month or two to see how things went.

just updated my firmware and had to load backup image file. So update corrupted my files

just updated my firmware and had to load backup image file. So update corrupted my files

No issues for me, spent about an hour making a backup for my 2 drives, updated the firmware, rebooted and everything seems fine.

All SMART values seems to be reset back to 100.

Well I now have a $400 paperweight. The update went fine, but then started having problem with /ssd not being recognized. Run several backups everytime it failed, Bios would see harddrive but would not recognze OS. . So the firmware has corrupted the Disk. Just bought a Corsair force to replace it. If you read the warrantee the firmware is installed at your own risk.
So my recommendation is if it is not broken don't update firmware unless something is wrong.

Well I now have a $400 paperweight. The update went fine, but then started having problem with /ssd not being recognized. Run several backups everytime it failed, Bios would see harddrive but would not recognze OS. . So the firmware has corrupted the Disk. Just bought a Corsair force to replace it. If you read the warrantee the firmware is installed at your own risk.
The drive was failing from the get-go.

Just RMA the drive.

You'll be fine!

Thanks. Just updated. I'm glad Intel provided a bootable ISO for us Mac users. :) Went easy peasy.

I can't get this update to work. Burned the ISO and booted the CD.

I saw some stuff flash up as the DOS environment loaded. It then gave me several prompts to agree to some stuff, etc. After the last one when it should start updating I got a screen full of messages that say "Invalid Opcode at 0017 xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx". The xxxx are other strings of hex characters.

I tried to do the update in AHCI mode and IDE mode with the same result. This was on an Asus M4A79 Deluxe (SB750). In the past, I was able to apply the TRIM firmware update on the same system.

Any thoughts?

In many Asus BIOS versions I have seen, in IDE you have a choice of something like enhanced or compatible (or legacy). Have you tried all the IDE modes?

Back