• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Intel - Terrible RMA experience

Joined
Jun 16, 2004
Messages
660
failed i7 - tried to RMA and was told since I ran the memory @ DDR3-1600 they won't replace it! lol. Guess I need to call back and lie and say everything was set @ default.
 
always answer with default settings for I7 right answer would have been 1066/1333 good luck. have not had to rma a intel cpu since P4 northwood days and it was easy as can be.
 
Uh, if your sig isn't lying, you were at 5.6ghz? That had to have taken copious amounts of voltage. I can understand why they wouldn't want to replace your processor.
 
Uh, if your sig isn't lying, you were at 5.6ghz? That had to have taken copious amounts of voltage. I can understand why they wouldn't want to replace your processor.

Hm, yea, I have to wonder if it was voltage death of the CPU, as I'd imagine that shows some tell-tale signs for them, at least from what I've heard. Not to play the after-the-fact strategist, but if you were throwing it up into those ranges, why not just pay the ~$20-30 bucks for their no-questions asked RMA policy - I mean, you had to know that chip had a premature death coming if it really was clocked at 5.6.
 
failed i7 - tried to RMA and was told since I ran the memory @ DDR3-1600 they won't replace it! lol. Guess I need to call back and lie and say everything was set @ default.

You play you have to pay...5.6GHz sounds like an early death sentence for any current processor.
 
always answer with default settings for I7 right answer would have been 1066/1333 good luck. have not had to rma a intel cpu since P4 northwood days and it was easy as can be.

Agreed.

Intel's RMA process is normally one of the easiest in all of IT.
 
Agreed.

Intel's RMA process is normally one of the easiest in all of IT.

Until they tell your CPU is a OEM/tray unit and you have to RMA it with the place you bought it from of which you bought it used from another third-party. :(
 
Until they tell your CPU is a OEM/tray unit and you have to RMA it with the place you bought it from of which you bought it used from another third-party. :(

Don’t assume you will get a warranty on used stuff and don’t overclock if you can’t afford the consequences
 
Don’t assume you will get a warranty on used stuff and don’t overclock if you can’t afford the consequences

++

"I chipped my car to allow redline at 10krpm unstead of the stock 6700rpm and the engine blew! Why won't Ford take it back?"

God I hate complaints like this. You OC at your own risk. Why do people not realize this?

You know how many CPUs I've had die that I _didn't_ overclock? My rate over 20 years is 0 failures...
 
I've only had *one* overclocked CPU die.
And it was because I thought it would be a good idea to hold the heatsink down with my hand, instead of clamping it, just to see if the chip worked.

#burnt-athlon-xp

Srsly tho... LOL @ running a 2600K at x56/100 and trying to RMA it after it dies.
 
You overclock that high and expect a freebie? Common that's just low. They have to make money, they're a business which sells items (that work great in most cases), admit it you broke it.
 
Throw a stone to your window and ask the window manufacturer for replacement. You for sure will be successful.
 
I came to this thread cause I knew exactly what was gonna happen. And it did, thanks for delivering.
 
For the future you may want to look into the Intel® Performance Tuning Plan which would have covered you when you blow up your processor due to overclocking. If you have the plan you can overclock your processor and still get it exchanged without worry one time.
 
Any MHz memory shouldn't make any difference in RMA. Obviously you burnt your chip with heavy voltage and overclock.
 
For the future you may want to look into the Intel® Performance Tuning Plan which would have covered you when you blow up your processor due to overclocking. If you have the plan you can overclock your processor and still get it exchanged without worry one time.

I never knew this existed, but I will be taking advantage of this program. I will glady pay $20 to make sure my 2500k is covered. Thanks!
 
For the future you may want to look into the Intel® Performance Tuning Plan which would have covered you when you blow up your processor due to overclocking. If you have the plan you can overclock your processor and still get it exchanged without worry one time.

Thanks for that link. I've heard this plan being mentioned, and was very curious about it, but I hadn't seen anyone post a link to the actual plan.

I have recently purchased a 3930K, a 2500K and a 2600K. I'm debating whether or not to "insure" the Sandy Bridge processors, but for sure am going to cover that 3930K.
 
I've only had *one* overclocked CPU die.
And it was because I thought it would be a good idea to hold the heatsink down with my hand, instead of clamping it, just to see if the chip worked.

This made me laugh! Live and learn! We've all done stupid stuff like this... I recently fried a PSU because I plugged a PCIe card into a PCI slot.... all because I was too lazy to get a flashlight to see what I was doing, and also forgot to flip the switch on the PSU... so stupid...
 
This made me laugh! Live and learn! We've all done stupid stuff like this...

Hey, it's not stupid! I did this exact thing for years and never killed anything, including Duron, AthlonXP, and Athlon64 CPUs. I don't think I've done it on anything X2 or more recent though. I don't remember the circumstances, but it was likely to do with something about the terrible mounting mechanisms back then that were a pain to work with.

The only part I've had die out of my own fault was mounting a 486 motherboard straight to a case, without standoffs, when I was around 7-8 years old. I was learning how to build a computer with my dad and he didn't notice I didn't put standoffs in place. MBs don't like being shorted.
 
I have recently purchased a 3930K, a 2500K and a 2600K. I'm debating whether or not to "insure" the Sandy Bridge processors, but for sure am going to cover that 3930K.

probably a waste of money on anything but the crappy ivy bridge solderless junk.
 
Hey, it's not stupid! I did this exact thing for years and never killed anything, including Duron, AthlonXP, and Athlon64 CPUs.

Hehe, its not stupid until something goes wrong right.... :) In the other guy's case, it was stupid because he fried his CPU doing it.

The only part I've had die out of my own fault was mounting a 486 motherboard straight to a case, without standoffs, when I was around 7-8 years old. I was learning how to build a computer with my dad and he didn't notice I didn't put standoffs in place. MBs don't like being shorted.

Ha, pretty impressive though to be building PCs at that age, I hope my daughter is that technically inclined when she gets that old.
 
Successful troll was successful.

trollfaceinfinitemoney.png
 
I've only had *one* overclocked CPU die.
And it was because I thought it would be a good idea to hold the heatsink down with my hand, instead of clamping it, just to see if the chip worked.

#burnt-athlon-xp

Srsly tho... LOL @ running a 2600K at x56/100 and trying to RMA it after it dies.

Ohhh I did this with an AMD Athlon (Thunderbird) @ stock clock to test..
:D
 
Back
Top