Intel Shutting Down Optane

Optane is so vast and the specificity of the Optane Memory, make it not that clear to me (wind-down of a business segment is not that clear language either).

https://www.anandtech.com/show/17515/intel-to-wind-down-optane-memory-business

That seem to be the alleged transition:
In lieu of Optane persistent memory, Intel’s official strategy is to pivot towards CXL memory technology (CXL.mem), which allows attaching volatile and non-volatile memory to a CPU over a CXL-capable PCIe bus.
This would accomplish many of the same goals as Optane (non-volatile memory, large capacities) without the costs of developing an entirely separate memory technology.
Sapphire Rapids, in turn will be Intel’s first CPU to support CXL, and the overall technology has a much broader industry backing.

Was this a part of Intels recent storage division sale to SK Hynix?

It's a shame. If they had updated Octane with new gen PCIe interfaces it could really be amazing. I have a couple of 900p's in my server and they are amazing drives.

For the last several years Optanes have been just about the best you can buy for a ZIL/SLOG drive for ZFS. I wonder what will replace them in that spot.

Last edited:
Was this a part of Intels recent storage division sale to SK Hynix?

It's a shame. If they had updated Octane with new gen PCIe interfaces it could really be amazing. I have a couple of 900p's in my server and they are amazing drives.

For the öadt several years Octanes have been just about the best you can buy for a ZIL/SLOG drive for ZFS. I wonder what will replace them in that spot.
Optane is phase change, intel sold off nand to sk. Micron ditched theirs (3DXP) a couple years ago and sold the Lehi fab after ending the joint development project and is focusing on CXL instead. Considering how its been money pit for both companies, I'm surprised it took them this long.

Optane is phase change, intel sold off nand to sk. Micron ditched theirs (3DXP) a couple years ago and sold the Lehi fab after ending the joint development project and is focusing on CXL instead. Considering how its been money pit for both companies, I'm surprised it took them this long.

That really is a crying shame, because the technology is awesome. I didn't know they had been loosing money on them.

I don't know enough about how this tech differs from Samsungs 3D V-NAND, but Samsung seems to be making it work financially.

Maybe Intel's mistake was to go low volume and focus on very high end parts, instead of mass producing the ever living daylights out of it like Samsung does.

I'm at least glad I bought the two 900p's for mirrored SLOGs when I did. I just hope they last a long time.

They seem to have amazing write endurance, considering they are constantly being hammered with writes, and have yet to register any wear in the SMART stats.

I can't calculate a predicted life span in this role yet. I have 8,992 power on hours and 7.35TB of writes on each, but because I have registered zero percent wear, I get a divide by zero error.

At this rate, I know the write endurance will last at least 100 years in this capacity as I am about a year in, and if it were to flip to 1% wear right now, that would be a hundred years...

Intel's ARK page rates the write endurance as 5.11PB. Using that and my 7.35TB writes in 8992 hours, I predict the write endurance will last ~730.8 years.

I think that might just enough to last until they are obsolete.

I'll let you know if that holds up in November 2751. :p

Last edited:
Are they shutting down all of Optane or just the M.2 interfaced parts?
I had heard I could soon expect to see their Optane storage in DDR5 formats to match their new server lineup and I was very interested.
Or are they letting that get spun off to a 3'rd party? Every now and then Intel has to spin off bits of itself to avoid congressional scrutiny.

Are they shutting down all of Optane or just the M.2 interfaced parts?
I had heard I could soon expect to see their Optane storage in DDR5 formats to match their new server lineup and I was very interested.
Or are they letting that get spun off to a 3'rd party? Every now and then Intel has to spin off bits of itself to avoid congressional scrutiny.
I believe its all of it. There isnt a fab that can make it anymore(maybe an intel one in china?) Since lehi was sold and adoption just isnt there.

I think its interesting that micron dumped it with dave zinser as CFO, he goes to intel, and they dump it too...

I believe its all of it. There isnt a fab that can make it anymore(maybe an intel one in china?) Since lehi was sold and adoption just isnt there.

I think its interesting that micron dumped it with dave zinser as CFO, he goes to intel, and they dump it too...
its not fast enough / long-enough lifetime to replace dram, and cost way too much premium over nand

if you want to do in-memory compute (think memristor), you need to do all three to defeat flash;Micron discovered this way early, and got-out

They're still going to be making it somehow, no way SAN vendors are going to accept them suddenly discontinuing it without fulfilling it for several years for them.

They gonna replace it with

Opcetane since optane wasn't good enough for big powah memory

Rollin coal baby

The writedown implies that they are never going to sell the parts they've already made. They have an effectively limitless stockpile, no need to make more.

Back