Intel Scraps Developer Forum after 20 Years

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
The Intel Developer Forum has been killed off after two decades of existence. The first IDF took place in 1997; the events would typically be used as a springboard or discussion platform for Intel products. However, the company believes the event is no longer necessary due to their shift in focus from PCs to data areas such as AI and IoT.

After 20 years, Intel has announced that it will no longer be hosting its annual Intel Developer Forum (IDF), which showcases the latest news from the company. The axing of the event has been made due to the waning appeal of the IDF amid the slowing PC market and a shift in focus for Intel towards other avenues of revenue, such as data centres and AI. IDF started in 1997 as a small gathering in San Jose but quickly expanded and moved to San Francisco’s Moscone Centre. The Event was scheduled for mid August, according to the Moscone Centre’s calendar, though now this will no longer be happening. The company released a statement on its website today saying: “Intel has evolved its event portfolio and decided to retire the IDF program moving forward.

"Slowing PC market", wut?

Intel is in plenty more devices than ever, not just desktops, but tablets, some phones, integrated systems (SoCs), etc. Sure, some of those areas they aren't dominating, but they're doing rather well. People like Intel NUCs for example.

X Year is year of the death of the PC, right?

Also, it's worth pointing out that PC does include Apple. Consider they are a personal computer. Plus they have Intel CPUs in them too!

they stoped innovating, they got comfortable at overpricing, then they wonder why sales are slowing ?
i hope AMD makes a real breakthrough in server and AI market, intel need to lose a significant potion of their revenue to wake up, they don't really care about ryzen and desktop.

Guess who won't be fielding a bunch of Ryzen "questions" at their conference. Easy way to save face I suppose.

they stoped innovating, they got comfortable at overpricing, then they wonder why sales are slowing ?
i hope AMD makes a real breakthrough in server and AI market, intel need to lose a significant potion of their revenue to wake up, they don't really care about ryzen and desktop.

I don't expect Ryzen to make a huge dent. Remember when AMD captured 17% of the server market? Well, it was certainly enough to wake Intel up. They won't let things get that far this time. I would think AMD would be happy get get to 5% (if they make it that far) at this point and Intel isn't going to get worried until about 10% and I just don't see that happening for AMD. AMD hasn't proven they've got that much to keep on pushing.. they get tired very very very easily (in fact, they're probably tired now).

I think these kinds of conferences and shows are as much a victim of the online age as anything. You just don't need to spend the money to setup a show and for people to travel when it can all be done online now.

I don't expect Ryzen to make a huge dent. Remember when AMD captured 17% of the server market? Well, it was certainly enough to wake Intel up. They won't let things get that far this time. I would think AMD would be happy get get to 5% (if they make it that far) at this point and Intel isn't going to get worried until about 10% and I just don't see that happening for AMD. AMD hasn't proven they've got that much to keep on pushing.. they get tired very very very easily (in fact, they're probably tired now).

About the same processing power for about 60% of the price...yeah intel should be worried about the server market.

Never went once. My question always was, "Are you going to share any information with me before I can read it on Anandtech?" Answer was always no. Think I will stay at home and write. :)

I'd like some proper useful software other than Handbrake and 7zip that actually pushes my 6c/12T CPU to 90-100% for a change.

Maybe this is why Intel are scrapping it.

Intel is in plenty more devices than ever, not just desktops, but tablets, some phones, integrated systems (SoCs), etc.
Maybe they are in more types of devices than ever, but in terms of total sales? No.

They continue to be strong in the server market, but that is all the positive news. PCs are on a 10-year low, Intel is non-existent in 4G smartphones (they may try to come back with 5G), tablets are declining with the exception of low-volume high-end devices, IoT still happens largely without Intel.

I think Intel probably look at the costs of running IDF itself and the numbers didn't add up. they were probably spending a ton of money to put on the show. It seems like marketing new products isn't as easy as in years past.

Take a look at the launch of Optane recently. So many people criticizing it as pointless and Intel not really making a good case for why it is a good solution to a problem the market had even if it has some great cutting edge technology.

Intel probably too a hard look at IDF and how effective it was as a platform to push actual sales of products and decided going forward it was wasteful.

People might like to believe Intel scrapped the show because it has run out of ideas and cannot innovate and compete but they probably just don't want to pay to put on a show extolling it's products because the people going to the show aren't buying based on what they see anyway. Marketing for marketing's sake is wasteful

We are in the last decade of the PC. I can promise you that in 10 to 15 years the mobile phone will more than likely replace the PC.

We will see much greater speeds, memory, GPU, etc.

Imagine having a wireless display, mouse and keyboard to game on and it all coming from your mobile device. It's possible the high-end gaming system might be alive in 10 - 15 years but maybe not.

I am not surprised this was cancelled. It's the start of a shift and change for everyone. Especially consumers.

Back