Intel Sandy Bridge 2600K and 2500K Processors @ [H]

I dunno :)
I was pointing out that the 290X card is single GPU.

thanks, I don't like ATI for now so I don't even consider buying it, generally 9xx series are multi gpu cards in the ATI market so I made the mistake.

290 series has no crossfie connector so it pushes all data through PCI-express
SLI should be much less depend on pci-ex bandwidth.

Do, what I just did - ordered Z77 motherboard. I got the native USB 3.0, more SATA controllers, better internet chip. And I'm able to keep my 2500k :)

Already have USB 3.0 and an intel gigabit card. Guess I'm pretty set really.

Do, what I just did - ordered Z77 motherboard. I got the native USB 3.0, more SATA controllers, better internet chip. And I'm able to keep my 2500k :)

As did I, and went from 4.4ghz daily on a P67 to 4.6ghz easily on the Z77. Pretty slick motherboard for the price, too.

LOL what are you talking about?...

ARM is gaining on them fast. If they don't get their act together, they will be irrelevant. It's all about the rapid gains in speed of AMR vs the turtle pace of Intel.

ARM is gaining on them fast. If they don't get their act together, they will be irrelevant. It's all about the rapid gains in speed of AMR vs the turtle pace of Intel.

yes bud.. keep dreaming.. thats not gonna happen ARM its RISC.. they are FAR AWAY from actually truly desktop processors.. if you talking about the mobile market then you could be right.. maybe! but do not talk shit about ARM in a intel 2011 sandy bridge thread without any knowledge of what are you talking about, claiming something without any clear answer or any solid info. only with a "at this rate intel will fade in obsolescence..." being actually intel haswell mobile chips the king of the performance in the mobile market.. O_O

yes bud.. keep dreaming.. thats not gonna happen ARM its RISC.. they are FAR AWAY from actually truly desktop processors.. if you talking about the mobile market then you could be right.. maybe! but do not talk shit about ARM in a intel 2011 sandy bridge thread without any knowledge of what are you talking about, claiming something without any clear answer or any solid info. only with a "at this rate intel will fade in obsolescence..." being actually intel haswell mobile chips the king of the performance in the mobile market.. O_O

The CISC vs RISC debate? That's your argument? That's like saying China is not a large economy because its people make $500/month. There are 1.3 BILLION of them! More RISC vs powerful CISC... Anyway, one is moving fast, the other is scratching his balls. Time is not on Intel's side.

The CISC vs RISC debate? That's your argument? That's like saying China is not a large economy because its people make $500/month. There are 1.3 BILLION of them! More RISC vs powerful CISC... Anyway, one is moving fast, the other is scratching his balls. Time is not on Intel's side.

Last time i checked Intel was getting a lot of design wins with their new family of atoms for android shortly after they got serious about market.
When they bring 14nm Atom chips it's ARM who will be losing market share.

Last time i checked Intel was getting a lot of design wins with their new family of atoms for android shortly after they got serious about market.
When they bring 14nm Atom chips it's ARM who will be losing market share.

let it quiet xD.. he maybe forgot the intel Silvermont architecture(22nm) ;) which its actually impresive with the out-of-order execution technology (that replace HyperThreading being more efficiently and with up to 30% better in performance..) so you see those 4 cores 4 threads tiny atom performing way better than a 4 cores 8 threads hyperthreaded chip.. and then later comes the Goldenmont(14nm) those chips actually have not even any rival.. xD and he say intel are scratching his balls.. xD.

actually in the Desktop market, intel have no serious competition, intel can do whatever they want, whatever prices they like, and increase each year a minimum performance gain just to justify a new chip.. if intel had serious competition from AMD then the history would be totally different now as its happening with the AMD vs NVIDIA side.. they are fighting hard right now.. thats the only reason..

3 years on and my 2500K is still relevant and I don't find myself even close to wanting more CPU power.

Honestly though, I'm not sure what's better in terms of awesome for the time, my 2500K or the Q6600 it replaced. I feel spoiled, having those two chips in a row.

Same upgrade path for me too. I actually just got my 2500k with a mobo + RAM combo for a sweet deal last year. For day to day use I can't even tell the difference between my old Q6600 which I bought shortly after launch. The Q6600 was such a big jump for me as I was using a single core (single thread as well, no HT on mine) P4 before.

I will probably eventually try overclocking my 2500k on my Z77 based motherboard, but I haven't found the need for more CPU power. I value cool and quiet desktops over anything else.

Yeah, almost feeling guilty. Going into year 3 with my current(sig) rig and see no real reason to upgrade anything but the GPU..maybe..

Yeah, almost feeling guilty. Going into year 3 with my current(sig) rig and see no real reason to upgrade anything but the GPU..maybe..
Agreed, that is all I have replaced over the past 3 years too.

Meh im wondering could i run 2 x 4 gig sticks with 2 x 2 gigs if they are the same memory?

+1

Very happy with my 2600k. Amazed that I have made it this long with no need to upgrade, I remember in one 16 month period I upgraded my CPU 3 times! On water no less. At this point I'm starting to miss it.

+1

Very happy with my 2600k. Amazed that I have made it this long with no need to upgrade, I remember in one 16 month period I upgraded my CPU 3 times! On water no less. At this point I'm starting to miss it.

True that, all i have upgraded is the gpu and the case. Problem is new stuff comes out and i get all excited and then look at the *gaming* benchmarks and then bam! i cant justify upgrading for such little gain.

My 2600K is still running 24/7 @ 4.8 Ghz on air 1.34 volts Idle 34C load upto 65C, It will do 5.0 Ghz @ 1.5 volts but I only do it for a bit while gaming, load temps get upto 75C.
Not sure if ill upgrade to Haswell-K, at this rate ill most likely wait another round of CPUs.

+1

Even though my 2500k is a great overclocker and probably wont see too much gain but meh.. I got the upgrade itch and I really felt dumb trying to justify to myself that Haswell was a good idea.
So I bought a 2600k just so I could quench my thirst for upgrading! using the fact that I encode my blurays as my excuse. :D

Sandy will probably go down as the most long lived chip from Intel ever at this rate. Im extremely happy I jumped on this bandwagon.

Last edited:
Sandy will probably go down as the most long lived chip from Intel ever at this rate. Im extremely happy I jumped on this bandwagon.

If the 2nd Gen 2500/2600K's are still this viable.. I imagine my 3770K will do just, if not better, as well. Glad I ponied up the cash. :cool:

If the 2nd Gen 2500/2600K's are still this viable.. I imagine my 3770K will do just, if not better, as well. Glad I ponied up the cash. :cool:

they are not just viable they are extremely viable, but at the moment a 2500k/2600k stop to being a viable processor, a top of the line chip, then for those times a 3670K/3770K even 4670K/4770K will suffer from the same fate, because they are practically the same, a roughly 2-5% percent its what really separate a sandy bridge from ivy bridge and at most ~10% from sandy bridge to haswell, why will sandy bridge be more legendary and remembered than ivy or haswell? by the simply fact of the overclock ability and performance scalability which its really poor in ivy bridge/haswell without delid it and exotic cooling.. thats why sandy will probably be a legendary chip for the great longevity they have and will have with the past of years..

Still got my 2500K at a solid 4.2GHZ for over 2 years now. Probably longer. Closer to 3-4 years.

Yep. There are few applications outside of stroking your ego and video editing that benefit from more than 4 cores. My 2500k is still kicking ass, though I'm looking forward to seeing what X99 brings to the table.

I've been wanting to upgrade, but there's really no way to justify retiring the ol' 2500k. It's still cranking along at 4.6GHz for several years now. Next upgrade for me will likely be new Maxwell video cards later this year. I don't see a new processor anytime in the future unless someone comes along and gets Intel off their ass. I don't see any change to them milking these marginally faster CPUs for all they're worth... which is always what happens when there's no competition.

I've been wanting to upgrade, but there's really no way to justify retiring the ol' 2500k. It's still cranking along at 4.6GHz for several years now. Next upgrade for me will likely be new Maxwell video cards later this year. I don't see a new processor anytime in the future unless someone comes along and gets Intel off their ass. I don't see any change to them milking these marginally faster CPUs for all they're worth... which is always what happens when there's no competition.

There used to be an Intel guy here who would promote their CPU's (hell, I'm sure that if you look far enough through this thread, he'll be there trumpeting Intel's CPU's), and I remember him making a statement to the affect of how he was always excited whenever he got a new Intel CPU on his desk (in terms of Sandy Bridge, Ivy Bridge, Haswell, etc). Whatever. Sandy Bridge folks still have no reason to upgrade, and likely won't for awhile.

still rocking 4.4ghz on my 2600k and I'm definitely not looking to update anytime soon.

2600k @ 4.7 for years now. No upgrades in my near future. Even with PCIe 2.0 and Crossfire, little bottlenecking evident.

Upgrade now! Daddy wants a used 2600k :D
tbh..I haven't seen any major improvements since SB
maybe RAM bandwidth..

2600k from launch day doing well, only running 4.4ghz right now but it's blazing fast. I have no desire to upgrade so far, unless pcie 2.0 bottlenecks maxwell high end to any real extent. And I do gaming, modeling, photo work, coding, etc. so it's not like I'm an undemanding user on the cpu :p.

2700k at 4.5ghz, been running hashcat (CPU version AND instances of the GPU version) constantly for over a week at 100% load without breaking a sweat.

Been running my 2700K at 4.7-5.0 for over 2 years now. Just recently tried to see what the ceiling was on this bad boy and was able to post this, and run off a SuperPi 1M run.

Curious if this is normal or if this chip is damaged...

I recently bought a used i7-2600k and I just got it in my machine for a light OCing and noticed that "core1" is not utilized fully or at all at time in Prime95. Is this normal? Has anyone experienced this? Using 8 threads.

Using CoreTemp to measure temps and activity.

EDIT: Actually only does it at really high OCs.. i didnt realize it could throttle only 1 core at a time. When I back down multiplier one notch I see 100% utilization for a minute then backs down to mid 50%s. Indicating only one thread in that core. Then taking it another notch down I can now see 100% on all cores. At stock I also get 100% all the time.

Strange thing is OCCT doesnt have this issue and it detects errors while in Prime95 it will throttle one core and it wont trigger errors. I've actually never seen anything like this when I was OCing my i5-2500k. Very strange.

Last edited:
Curious if this is normal or if this chip is damaged...

I recently bought a used i7-2600k and I just got it in my machine for a light OCing and noticed that "core1" is not utilized fully or at all at time in Prime95. Is this normal? Has anyone experienced this? Using 8 threads.

Using CoreTemp to measure temps and activity.

EDIT: Actually only does it at really high OCs.. i didnt realize it could throttle only 1 core at a time. When I back down multiplier one notch I see 100% utilization for a minute then backs down to mid 50%s. Indicating only one thread in that core. At stock I get none of this, its 100% all the time.

its normal.. that its because the Prime95 working has stopped working due to errors in the overclocking and making it unstable, you need to bump the voltage a little more.. even a minimal 0.005V bump can help with those instability issues..

This its an example of the kind of instability errors you can find (in able to replicate this anytime this its why i choose this:)):
FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.5, expected less than 0.4
Hardware failure detected, consult stress.txt file.
it can happen in a single thread.. or in multiple threads you should see that in one of the 8 little windows of P05

its normal.. that its because the Prime95 working has stopped working due to errors in the overclocking and making it unstable, you need to bump the voltage a little more.. even a minimal 0.005V bump can help with those instability issues..

This its an example of the kind of instability errors you can find (in able to replicate this anytime this its why i choose this:)): it can happen in a single thread.. or in multiple threads you should see that in one of the 8 little windows of P05

Thanks yea I got startled and impatiently posted here since I had never seen it. I was guessing this when I saw the activity increase as I backed off. But really appreciate you confirming this. Gives me piece of mind.

Debating on increasing voltage... I like to do "green overclocking" where you only bump up voltage one notch over stock and get the highest stable OC. Its looking like its stable at 4.5GHz.. might try to give it some more voltage just to see how far it can go but usually Im happy with low voltage OCing for 24/7 usage.

Debating on increasing voltage... I like to do "green overclocking" where you only bump up voltage one notch over stock and get the highest stable OC. Its looking like its stable at 4.5GHz.. might try to give it some more voltage just to see how far it can go but usually Im happy with low voltage OCing for 24/7 usage.

thats the best way to overclock in fact the minimal voltage needed its what help to keep the chip healthy longer time.. you might want to try the use Offset voltage for that task, im using that way of overclocking since my first sandy, low voltage when idle, low voltage at regular loads and good voltage when the chip fully needed i found that the best for daily use specially if you are able to even dominate a good negative offset because you will be using even less power at idle and low powered task like browsing etc..

thats the best way to overclock in fact the minimal voltage needed its what help to keep the chip healthy longer time.. you might want to try the use Offset voltage for that task, im using that way of overclocking since my first sandy, low voltage when idle, low voltage at regular loads and good voltage when the chip fully needed i found that the best for daily use specially if you are able to even dominate a good negative offset because you will be using even less power at idle and low powered task like browsing etc..

Yep I definitely do it using the offset method. When I first started OCing this platform I used the typical voltage method but read a guide in Overclock.net which went into the particulars of what it was doing and realized that's exactly how I wanted to approach it. Now even my "n-used" i7 is only getting the one offset up on both main and turbo voltage.

Back