Intel Sandy Bridge 2600K and 2500K Processors @ [H]

Hard to believe I've had my 2500K for ~3 years and don't even see a reason to upgrade. I have a feeling it's going to outlast my Q6600, which itself was an incredibly long lived CPU for me.

2500k @ 4.6 ghz for a few years now. Been thinking about upgrading when I get the chance but it seems like it's still not even worth doing.

2500k @ 4.6 ghz for a few years now. Been thinking about upgrading when I get the chance but it seems like it's still not even worth doing.

wait and see the new graphic cards when available.
GTX8xx series could push our sandy too much.

Same here, my 2500k keeps going great after years. There's no reason to upgrade just for performance, both Ivy and Haswell seem to only be focused on saving more energy... Sandy is savvy enough for my desktop. No rush on my part! Hopefully AMD will figure their s**t out by 2016 with their new architecture and force Intel to wake up, let's pray it's like the Athlon 64 days all over again!

Same here, my 2500k keeps going great after years. There's no reason to upgrade just for performance, both Ivy and Haswell seem to only be focused on saving more energy... Sandy is savvy enough for my desktop. No rush on my part! Hopefully AMD will figure their s**t out by 2016 with their new architecture and force Intel to wake up, let's pray it's like the Athlon 64 days all over again!

Skylake will bring DDR4 and PCI Expr 4, hope it will bring a big performance improvement.

Only if the architecture can make use of the extra memory bandwidth. PCIe 4 will probably bring nothing unless you are running tri or quad SLI/XFire. Skylake may bring some extra cooling headroom especially if Intel has solved the heat problem that first appeared on IB. A 65W i5 hex core would go down a treat.

Ehh, if I could just switch the mobos... I'd love the Z97 goodness, but paying $500 (in my country) for 4690K and likes of Z97 Mpower is not justifable in little to none gaming power.

Skylake may bring some extra cooling headroom especially if Intel has solved the heat problem that first appeared on IB. A 65W i5 hex core would go down a treat.

Mmmmm...65W 6 core goodness..Sadly I think we are still another node ahead of Skylake to get that kinda performance with that small thermal budget unless we are taking about cutting the CPU clocks to insanely stupid 2004 levels..

I need a new CPU to powerup two GTX880 when they came out.

I don't want to put a GTX880 on a PCI Exp 2.0 8x lane.

It is very annoying that newer CPU will bring so poor performance improvement.

then get a 4790k (might as well go with the K even if not Oc'ing because of the turbo boost to 4.4ghz) or even a used 4770/3770 both of which provide lanes of pci-e 3.0

then again, at least with current gpu's, Anand did some testing and the performance increase from pcie 2.0 to 3.0 was neglible at best 1 - 3 or so percent.

then get a 4790k (might as well go with the K even if not Oc'ing because of the turbo boost to 4.4ghz) or even a used 4770/3770 both of which provide lanes of pci-e 3.0

then again, at least with current gpu's, Anand did some testing and the performance increase from pcie 2.0 to 3.0 was neglible at best 1 - 3 or so percent.

newer cards will increase the difference.

My i5 2500K has been kicking ass since I purchased it 2 years ago.
I will do a video card upgrade maybe and I might even OC this i5 but I
cant say that a game has used my i5 to the fullest!

Haswell-e is tempting me.
I think that 5930,could be a good upgrade to my 2600 sandy bridge.

Who will switch from sandy to haswell-e?

it seems that all the "sandybridges" people leaved the thread.
It shows that none so far will be upgrading to Haswell-E, its harder to get the opposing response unless you ask the opposite question.
A poll might have been better.

I'm not upgrading.

It shows that none so far will be upgrading to Haswell-E, its harder to get the opposing response unless you ask the opposite question.
A poll might have been better.

I'm not upgrading.

I'm tempted to not upgrade but I need a fresh SLI, my GTX580 is not enough for maxing out games.
I will buy GTX880 and my sandy is not enough for a SLI of new cards, specially for the PCI Exp 2.0 8x8x lanes.

It gets trickier with SLI, but there might be so little difference still.
If you are worried it might be a waste of money, give it a go with your P67 and SB.
I'd surely take that route and compare gaming fps with others who are on working PCI-E 3.0 SLI systems with fast next gen cards.

I anticipate it will give a good result with 2 fast next gen cards, but without hard fact, its not that helpful.
I havent seen complaints that SB and P67 is slow for current dual fast GPU setups, so not much of a guide against.
Its a wait and see.

It gets trickier with SLI, but there might be so little difference still.
If you are worried it might be a waste of money, give it a go with your P67 and SB.
I'd surely take that route and compare gaming fps with others who are on working PCI-E 3.0 SLI systems with fast next gen cards.

I anticipate it will give a good result with 2 fast next gen cards, but without hard fact, its not that helpful.
I havent seen complaints that SB and P67 is slow for current dual fast GPU setups, so not much of a guide against.
Its a wait and see.

wait and see

In the majority of things I play even my current SB i3 is sufficient to provide a decent experience. Even when I had my IB i5 3570 I was always GPU limited. The most I could see doing in the foreseeable future is spending the $250-300 for either a used i7 2600K or 3770, coupled with a (also used) GTX 760, maybe 8GB of DDR3 before that, even. Guess I'm oft... :p

Haswell-E is not for this poor boy.

I'm not upgrading, either.

I don't really see much for upgrading to Haswell, that is why I've kept my 2600k. OC'd @ 4.9 GHz it can do everything I ask of it and more, the only real upgrade is more cores (which you can only get on X58/X79/X99). Not even PCI-E 3.0 is a big reason to switch to anything newer.

my 2500K at 4.4Ghz is still chugging along fine. i bought it the night of release, don't see upgrading for another couple years.

Annnnd the 2700k @ 4600Mhz 1.28v's will probably kick around for a bit longer. The motherboard is showing its age (p67extreme6)... but other than that, I'm a single vid card kind of guy, so the new / more PCI-e lanes don't do it for me. Windows 8 made BF4 a dream to play again, so I don't think more than 4c8t is needed yet. I REALLY WANTED to find a reason to upgrade with x99, but I don't see it yet. This is THE LONGEST I have ever held onto a processor / motherboard, by far.

I leave the sandy bridge boat.
I just ordered a
5930k with an Asus X99 deluxe and 16 gigs of 2666MHz ram from corsair.

Sandy bridge served me well but it's time to upgrade now.

Still rocking on the good old 2700k @ 4.8ghz. Not planning upgrading anytime & see no reason to for the foreseeable future.

As my processor is fast enough to blaze through every title out there bar none. Haswell quad cores are barely faster than my overclocked processors, maybe a few percentage difference. Both the 6 & 8 cores variants are not on my radar as games barely utilize more than two cores, with a only few exceptions.

Until a new processor comes that it's at least 30% faster than my 4.8ghz 2700k clock for clock in single threaded performance. I'm holding out, which will be a good while.

yes anything above a sandy at 4.5ghz its more than powerfull enough for the next couple of years... you that 30%+ will probably come with skylake and just probably..

I have to say, this 2600k I'm still using, does the trick. I don't even need to upgrade the motherboard either (Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3).

And to think I was looking forward to AMD Bulldozer and just couldn't wait no longer.

Just upgraded to GTX 980 on my sig rig and am debating a CPU/mobo upgrade. I don't think my GPU will be bottlenecked. Getting a lot of time out of this rig. Suggestions?

Just upgraded to GTX 980 on my sig rig and am debating a CPU/mobo upgrade. I don't think my GPU will be bottlenecked. Getting a lot of time out of this rig. Suggestions?

In the truly world of bottleneck not, not in most games your GPU will still be able to deliver 100% of its capabilities, but for sure there are some games where your CPU will perform worse than any more threaded CPU like an i7 , certainly i would be thinking in upgrade soon as games are starting to use more cores/threads and eat some CPU power.... would i be worried at this point? nope if you don't play those specific games where a i7 can show a big increase in performance.. If you want to upgrade now, the real upgrade will be a 6c/12t i7..

I've recently considered finally overclocking my 2600k to coincide with an upgrade to potentially SLI 970s.

I was hoping that wouldn't be the case. What is it that holds it back?

As it stands right now I don't really want to consider a full upgrade, but my gpu has started to show it's age recently on newer games.

I was hoping that wouldn't be the case. What is it that holds it back?

As it stands right now I don't really want to consider a full upgrade, but my gpu has started to show it's age recently on newer games.

Ignore him... its a well known troll that just want to justify his purchase of his 5930K..

overclock your chip to 4.5ghz (Which any sandy can do easily) and you will have still more than power to spare :p and eat even the most intensive game in the market.. so you will be fine.. lot of people still run even triple SLI GTX 780TI (with mobo that use a plx chip) with overclocked 2600K and are completely fine.. you will be good..

Thanks, I originally bought a nice heatsink, but everything I was playing the CPU was fine for so I just held off on OCing.

Thanks, I originally bought a nice heatsink, but everything I was playing the CPU was fine for so I just held off on OCing.

Even something like a Hyper 212 Evo will oc your chip fairly easily to 4.5

If you bought your CPU late in its cycle, you should be able to get it to 5Ghz and above with a nice heatsink. My heatsink cost $25, and I still managed to get my cpu to 5Ghz. Bought the CPU about a year after it was released.

Back