Intel Retail Edge 2010

Kenworth

2[H]4U
So we are almost 5 months into the year and there has been no thread started for this program. I saw that they are doing live events along with the Ironman II release so I figured it appropriate to pull the trigger for a new thread.

Personally, I am glad they are going with Ironman II for a movie because it looks like I will be staying up late and hopefully get some nice shwag along with it.

Any speculation on the Big Deal anyone?

I am at the Rockstar level with over 40,000 points. Have all the required sessions and readings completed, including those PC World and Cnet Spring Reviews (which took a while to complete).

Went to the Iron Man 2 live event to get verified as well. My verification status still hasn't changed, but hopefully it does once the Big Deal goes live on June 15th.

Hoping for a good deal on an Intel SSD. Looking forward to finding out on the 15th.

i'm in the program, but never done anything. is it possible to rack up enough points to qualify for the big deal quick?

I am at the Rockstar level with over 40,000 points. Have all the required sessions and readings completed, including those PC World and Cnet Spring Reviews (which took a while to complete).

Went to the Iron Man 2 live event to get verified as well. My verification status still hasn't changed, but hopefully it does once the Big Deal goes live on June 15th.

Hoping for a good deal on an Intel SSD. Looking forward to finding out on the 15th.

If you didn't show them a paystub, then they won't verify you. If you did provide a paystub and they haven't verified you yet, then they aren't. You need to do it again, and quickly if you are going to be in on this Big Deal. Nice thing now is you can simply take a picture of your paystub and upload it. Took less than 24 hours when I did that.

i'm in the program, but never done anything. is it possible to rack up enough points to qualify for the big deal quick?

It depends. If you have been in long enough but never done anything, they may have reset your chips (if you had any) or you can go on there and rack up some chips to qualify. Depending on what status you are will determine where you will be in line to order the Big Deal.

If you didn't show them a paystub, then they won't verify you. If you did provide a paystub and they haven't verified you yet, then they aren't. You need to do it again, and quickly if you are going to be in on this Big Deal. Nice thing now is you can simply take a picture of your paystub and upload it. Took less than 24 hours when I did that.

I showed them a Paystub, and saw them check me off on their list. I am going to wait til Monday. If I still haven't been verified by then, I will just email a scan of my paystub.

I showed them a Paystub, and saw them check me off on their list. I am going to wait til Monday. If I still haven't been verified by then, I will just email a scan of my paystub.

Any luck with the verification? Midnight tonight may be when they green light this thing.

Do you have access to corporate email? I used this option for verification and it only took a few minutes to get verified.

Do you have access to corporate email? I used this option for verification and it only took a few minutes to get verified.

I was really curious as to that option. I don't want to get to personal but how do you have corporate e-mail AND have the eligibility to do the program? I am just a grunt at my place with no chance of e-mail but I don't know how the big box places like BB work. Please forgive my ignorance.

Any luck with the verification? Midnight tonight may be when they green light this thing.

I sent in a scan of my paystub via their online / email submission. Hopefully I get verified soon, and beat the crowd. I am sure by tomorrow, depending on how good the Big Deal is, they are going to get slammed with verification requests.

I was really curious as to that option. I don't want to get to personal but how do you have corporate e-mail AND have the eligibility to do the program? I am just a grunt at my place with no chance of e-mail but I don't know how the big box places like BB work. Please forgive my ignorance.

Sorry, my fault in poor phrasing, or rather using terminology that Intel used on their site.
I'm actually the lead tech at my GeekSquad (BBY) and most BBY employees there have email access if they set it up, so I just ended up using that. Once you put in your email, they send a confirmation email with a link you click for verification.

The SSD's are a pretty good deal if you don't have one yet - Laptop could be promising also.

Pretty disappointed here... I was really hoping for a 980X

I was really hoping they would throw it out there for like $500 with a i7 930 as well just to give us the opportunity. Even limited quantities would have been fun.

Laptop is interesting as it says "Starting at $549 USD Rockstar price (MSRP $1067)" Does that potentially mean options?

Well, if there's anyone who's eligible for a mini bundle and isn't interested in getting it, please PM me, because I'd love to take advantage of the deal if possible.

The Laptop is *probably* one of the ones from the CNET or PC World reviews. I looked through them earlier and there was a dell for around $900, add Office Home and Student on top of that and you've got ~$1067. It'll probably be a basic Studio 15, core i5, 320, 4gb, 720p... nothing special. Now what would be REALLY nice is if they gave you a voucher to go over to Dell, and be able to add options... get the WUXGA screen or ATI graphics for example. Now that would be a great deal. I don't know if I'll get the laptop or not... I love my current Thinkpad T60 even though it's a older and slower.

Sending in a Paystub with the Email Verification method worked great. Sent it to Intel yesterday at 4:50PM MST, got an email back from them at 6:30PM MST saying that I was verified.

I already have a i7 920 that I am happy with, but maybe I will snag one of those SSDs to replace my Velociraptor RAID 0 setup.

Well I got my stuff all ordered. I will probably upgrade my wife's system with this bundle (I kinda like my DP55KG / i5-750 system) and add the SSD to my already 2x80gb X25 RAID setup. I also got one of the Dell notebook coupons and ordered that as well. It's basically a $500 coupon for a Dell Studio 15. The base configuration is pretty much what I had assumed it would be... an i5-2.26/4GB/320... but since it's a coupon, you're not stuck with the base configuration. So, I upped mine to the Radeon graphics, 1080P display, and Bluetooth. Should be here next month on the 7th. Going to be a major departure for me. I've been a devout IBM/Lenovo Thinkpad owner for the past... ~10 years. All in all I'm still disappointed that the processor wasn't a 980X, but I'm glad the laptop buy gave me the option of adding the WUXGA screen because there was no way I was going to give up my T60 for a base model Dell. The real tough part will be getting used to not having a Trackpoint and actually using the trackpad. I'm going to miss that little red nub. :(

Last edited:
Well I got my stuff all ordered. I will probably upgrade my wife's system with this bundle (I kinda like my DP55KG / i5-750 system) and add the SSD to my already 2x80gb X25 RAID setup. I also got one of the Dell notebook coupons and ordered that as well. It's basically a $500 coupon for a Dell Studio 15. The base configuration is pretty much what I had assumed it would be... an i5-2.26/4GB/320... but since it's a coupon, you're not stuck with the base configuration. So, I upped mine to the Radeon graphics, 1080P display, and Bluetooth. Should be here next month on the 7th. Going to be a major departure for me. I've been a devout IBM/Lenovo Thinkpad owner for the past... ~10 years. All in all I'm still disappointed that the processor wasn't a 980X, but I'm glad the laptop buy gave me the option of adding the WUXGA screen because there was no way I was going to give up my T60 for a base model Dell. The real tough part will be getting used to not having a Trackpoint and actually using the trackpad. I'm going to miss that little red nub. :(

Can i ask what config you went with and what the resulting price is?

Odd, I took all the quizzes, got verified and all that, but have not yet had the option to order it yet.

*Edit, there we go, came up right after posting this.

Last edited:
Can i ask what config you went with and what the resulting price is?

The only things I changed from the defaults were:
ATI Radeon 5470
1080P Display with Cam & Face recognition
Bluetooth
WiMAX
9-Cell Battery
Creative X-Fi Audio

I think it was just over $1000 with the coupon (along with tax and shipping).
I tried to see if any internet coupons would stack with it, but none worked. I was a little annoyed that I couldn't even get a free shipping one to work, but oh well. There's no discount on any of the upgrades though so the price goes up fast once you start adding stuff.

The only things I changed from the defaults were:
ATI Radeon 5470
1080P Display with Cam & Face recognition
Bluetooth
WiMAX
9-Cell Battery
Creative X-Fi Audio

I think it was just over $1000 with the coupon (along with tax and shipping).
I tried to see if any internet coupons would stack with it, but none worked. I was a little annoyed that I couldn't even get a free shipping one to work, but oh well. There's no discount on any of the upgrades though so the price goes up fast once you start adding stuff.

Damn, you turned that into the exact model I was hoping it to be. I am due for a new lappy. Fuck, I wish these deals were just a little better to make this a no brainer. Nice build.

Just picked up the 160GB SSD. Gonna use it to replace my Velociraptor RAID 0 setup for my OS and Programs. I wish it were larger, but I will just use one of those new 500GB Hybrid Seagate Momentous XT drives for my Game installs which by themselves are over 120GB.

ughhh waiting on my 160gb ssd to get here... fedex says on the tracking "Future delivery requested".... wtf i didnt request that

Just got my Dell Laptop, and so far I'm pleased with it. Pulled the 320 Seagate out, slapped a 160GB X25 in. Imaged the drive over and well, works great. The touch pad is multitouch, though the only gesture I know is zoom (pinch). Illuminated keyboard is a nice touch. The face recognition doesn't work for crap... I'm only getting about one match every 10 log-ins. Screen is nice (better be for a 1920x1200) though we'll see if the glossy screen is a problem. I also really like how they oriented the 9-cell upgraded battery. The last cells are positioned downward so it gives the back of the laptop a nice comfortable elevation.

PC Mag quiz 1 answers good for 83%; correct what I got wrong if you want to but 83% passes. Will update this post when I do more... Note if an Intel employee reads this: This crap takes too long. I wouldn't post the answers if this were reasonable! It's like I'm paying the difference in time here! Dump the billion-review quizzes!

Quiz 1, 83%
1. A,b,d,e
2. A
3. C,d,e
4. B,c
5. B,c
6. c

Quiz 2, 100%
1. A,b,c,d,e
2. A,b,e
3. E
4. C,d
5. D
6. D

Quiz 3, 83%
1. A,b,d
2. A
3. A
4. B,c
5. B
6. B,c

Quiz 4, 100%
1. A,c
2. C
3. A,b
4. B,c
5. B
6. C

Quiz 5, 100%
1. B,c,d,e
2. B,c,d
3. C
4. B
5. e

Quiz 6, 100%
1. A,b,c,d
2. A
3. B
4. A,b
5. A
6. A

Quiz 7, 100%
1. A
2. A
3. C
4. A,b
5. A

Quiz 8, 100%
1. B,d
2. D
3. B
4. D
5. D

Last edited:
I wish I had seen your post before doing all of those myself a little while ago lol. For anyone who hasn't seen it yet here are the Winter CPU Deals - Ordering opens on Dec 1st.

Bundled Products

Intel® Core™ i7-960 Bundle

* Intel® Core™ i7 960 Processor - 4 cores – 8 threads, 8MB Cache, .45nm process technology
* Intel® Desktop Board DX58SO Extreme-series
* Sid Meier’s Civilization V

MSRP: $809.981
Price for Rockstars/Rock Legends: $265 USD
Price for members: $279 US

Intel® Core™ i7-970 Bundle

* Intel® Core™ i7 970 Processor - 6 cores – 12 threads, 12MB Cache, .32nm process technology
* Intel® Desktop Board DX58SO Extreme-series
* Sid Meier’s Civilization V*

MSRP: $1109.98 USD1
Price for Rockstars/Rock Legends: $395 USD

Standalone Products

Intel® Core™ i7-960 Processor

* Intel® Core™ i7 960 Processor - 4 cores – 8 threads, 8MB Cache, .45nm process technology

MSRP: $579.99 USD1
Price for Rockstars/Rock Legends: $85 USD
Price for members: $99 USD

Intel® Core™ i7-970 Processor

* Intel® Core™ i7 970 Processor - 6 cores – 12 threads, 12MB Cache, .32nm process technology

MSRP: $879.991
Price for Rockstars/Rock Legends: $215 USD

Intel® X25-M 160GB Solid State Drive

MSRP: $399.99 USD1
Price for Rockstars/Rock Legends: $219 USD

ack!!! wish i had more money to spend on this stuff... not sure if i should go with the i7 970 or another SSD to raid it with the one i got last deal :(

only "ok'ed" to buy one lol

Rockstars can order the SSD in addition to one of the other bundles. It says "and/or"

Doesn't help your personal financial situation, though.

i have an old dell with a c2d E7400, radeon 4830, and some other random stock crap. i want to upgrade but i don't need to. i just game on a 22" dell monitor at 1920x1080.

thinking about getting one of the combo options but then i'd pretty much need to buy everything else. i'm wayyyy out of the loop as far as technology goes nowadays though. :( any way i could scrape together anything halfway decent with one of those cpu/mobo comos and $500?

All I can say is... "yum"
Wish I could get the i7 970...hexacore would definitely mean no need to upgrade for a while.. this is like the only time I wish I did retail...

Hope I can find someone to get that proc for me... the bundles seem kinda silly since any x58 board will be better than the intel board that they're "discounting" for $180.

Good luck and enjoy them you lucky guys :)

Rockstars can order the SSD in addition to one of the other bundles. It says "and/or"

Doesn't help your personal financial situation, though.

lol i could afford both... just dont really want to sleep on the couch for the holidays :p

i get the "you dont need any of that your computer is good enough"... have to sneak one :p if i did both i would be in trouble

Last edited:
The holiday deal says it starts on December 1st but I do not see where I can order from? Is it simply not open to order from yet or do I have to email an order or something?

This is the first year I will be ordering and im just wondering what the process typically is.

Back