Intel on Intel from Intel

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
Intel rolls out Gordon Moore to tell you the story of Intel in the early days. Interestingly, a lot of folks were getting fired from Intel in the early days for bangin' the secretaries, just like today. I made that up. There is not truth to that at all. Back in the good ole' days, nobody got fired for that.

Check out the video.

In advance of Intel's 50th anniversary, Gordon Moore offers an interview about the company's early days and the personalities that built the foundation of its success. Moore, a founder of Intel with Robert Noyce, speaks of the pair's departure from Fairchild Semiconductor; the naming of Intel; the choice of Silicon Valley -- Santa Clara, California, in particular -- as the company's home; the early days with Noyce and Andy Grove; his role as Intel's CEO, starting in 1979; and the formation of Intel's corporate values.

I missed the part about the theft of much of the tech that made up the Pentium from Intergraph.

A few months ago I was looking for a documentary video on the history of intel, but couldn't find one. But I'm more interested in how intel lost the chip race or is currently losing it.

A few months ago I was looking for a documentary video on the history of intel, but couldn't find one. But I'm more interested in how intel lost the chip race or is currently losing it.
I wouldn't count Intel out just yet. This is less like a race and more like a poker game; as long as you still have chips to play, you are still in the game. AMD has is currently on a winning streak, having won several hands, but Intel still has a bigger pile of chips and they show no signs of pushing away from the table.

Intel must be feeling some heat to pull out such an Iconic speaker. Does he speak 2x as long with 1/2 the notes every 18 months?

There were no good old days at Intel. It has been a combatative shit show of a company defeating any hint of competition through frivolous legal attacks since its very founding.

Read this article from the Harvard Journal of Law and Technology (JOLT) on the legal history of the company for some perspective. Having been written in 2011, the last portion of it is a little dated, but the first 2/3rds are a very good historical primer.

Last edited:

There is one for Fairchild Semiconductor that overlaps a tad with Intel. You can usually find it on YouTube. It focuses on the "Traitorous 8."

*Edit* Here:
Full episode is available on PBS via the description of that video. Or you can usually find it floating around YouTube if you get creative with the search.

I have a list somewhere. There's also good ones for Compaq, Cisco, and ARM. I'll see if I can find my list..

All Around (Robert Noyce):

Compaq documentary: Silicon Cowboys (frequently on Netflix)

ARM:

I really wish the History channel would put down the lumberjack junkyard scavenging gold rush shows for a minute and revisit "The Men Who Built America" part 2, Silicon Valley.

Last edited:
Quote "Interestingly, a lot of folks were getting fired from Intel in the early days for bangin' the secretaries, just like today."

Are there any jobs going at Intel ?? ;);)

But why did they remove it? I thought this was a positive PR push/spin/distraction? Why the change?

Hehe Intel is getting PWND.
Apparently you missed Computex Tainan. Getting? Done and done.
OT- On this day I wish to extend my gratitude to Mr. Bennet and all the folks that make this the most happening website out there. Have a safe one guys.

Reactions: DocNo
like this
Back