Intel Moves Nehalem Launch Forward

HardOCP News

[H] News
DigiTimes, citing anonymous industry sources, says that Intel is moving the launch of its Nehalem-based Bloomfield processors up to September of this year instead of December.

Since Bloomfield CPUs are not socket compatible with previous Intel platforms, the accelerated launch is not expected to cause competition between the company's own products, although the same cannot be said for AMD's scheduled AM3-based CPU launch, noted the sources

I wish I have money that's burning a hole in my pocket so I can get in that quad core hyperthreading action.

If only it wasn't going to be so expensive, I would postpone my next build for this.

$284 for the 2.66 GHz Bloomfield quad isn't too bad for brand new tech in my opinion... I payed ~$312 to get my X2 4200+ and that was in about May 2006... (don't I wish I had known about C2D)

$284 for the 2.66 GHz Bloomfield quad isn't too bad for brand new tech in my opinion... I payed ~$312 to get my X2 4200+ and that was in about May 2006... (don't I wish I had known about C2D)

The chip will only be part of the equation as you (and probably most) know. You're looking at a new MoBo and DDR3 memory. Yes, the chip won't be that bad, but once you add a new MoBo & DDR3 memory, it isn't going to be cheap. DDR3 memory has come down some in the last few weeks, but there isn't anything being said about Bloomfield compatible MoBo's.

Also don't forget that you will need at least 3 DIMMs to populate the memory controller. I do believe I'm about due for a new system. I'll probably start out with the 2.66 GHz and a HD4850, then get a 4870x2 whenever I can afford a new monitor as well. Then I can move the 4850 to another slot and let it fold.

Argg! I didn't want to build again until next year, but oh well. Christmas time may be good then, as it gives time for some shake down. I've got to FORCE myself to wait till spring!:mad:

I did a DDR based build with a cheapo bonetrail so I would have an easy upgrade path.

I Figure you can update the Big 3, CPU/MB/RAM for between $700-$900.

CPU $300
MB $200-$300
RAM $200-$300

Hey, i have currently a 3GHZ p4.. i think that September and the back to school season is a perfect time to upgrade :D

Be careful, new processors is usually the Extreme series, with a price tag of over 1000$. Cheap Bloomfields wouldn't be available before next january at least IMHO.

really, what is the point of getting a DDR3 system right now.. just get a nice fast quad with 8GB of memory for half the money

really, what is the point of getting a DDR3 system right now.. just get a nice fast quad with 8GB of memory for half the money

For the average user.. yes.. now.. BUT, i think your missing the point..

This is "the next big thing" and folks are stoked that it will be available sooner.. Even if it is more expensive.

Good news, not too surprising. That's kind of when I was expecting to be seeing them. I guess I'll be building in October. :) I'd guess we won't just see the Extreme $1000 processors at this launch, there will be a choice (or so I hope).

Good news, not too surprising. That's kind of when I was expecting to be seeing them. I guess I'll be building in October. :) I'd guess we won't just see the Extreme $1000 processors at this launch, there will be a choice (or so I hope).

I think that's all you'll see at launch, but maybe the non EE's will come out in time for Christmas.

Also don't forget that you will need at least 3 DIMMs to populate the memory controller. I do believe I'm about due for a new system. I'll probably start out with the 2.66 GHz and a HD4850, then get a 4870x2 whenever I can afford a new monitor as well. Then I can move the 4850 to another slot and let it fold.

Not completely true. Depending on which cpu you get you'll need either 2 or 3 dimms. For most of use it'll be 2. Only if you're getting into the server/workstation space will you be using 3.

Intel is supposed to launch 3 new chips; one extreme, one 'affordable' ($300ish), and one that I really dont care to remember. Intel did pretty much the same thing back when c2d launched, so I really just dont see where all the skepticism is coming from this go around.

Seems just like yesterday we were all talking about Penryn and now, Bloomfield will be the chip to round out the end of the year. And people complain about the expense of the graphics card industry. :) As far as I can see you are looking at $300 for the "low end" Bloomy, $250 for the supported board, and at least another $150 for memory. Roughly $700 to move into the next chip iteration. I just hope I can ignore the hype when this first comes out.

Socket 1366 is triple channel memory. All three bloomfields, including the 2.66 will have three memory channels. The dual channel Nehalem chips will be socket 1166(1366-200 pin memory module). The dual channel Nehalem, Lynnfield, etc, will compete directly with current generation C2D and C2Q systems, therefore they will not be released until C2 is ready to be retired.

so the triple channel memory motherboards.. is there still only going to be 4 ram slots, or 6????

Seems just like yesterday we were all talking about Penryn and now, Bloomfield will be the chip to round out the end of the year.
That's the point of the tick-tock cycle. Every 12 months there is something new. In late 2009 you'll see Westmere, the 32nm shrink/update of Nehalem. Awesome for everyone except AMD. :p

That's the point of the tick-tock cycle. Every 12 months there is something new. In late 2009 you'll see Westmere, the 32nm shrink/update of Nehalem. Awesome for everyone except AMD. :p

Rule of Thumb;

Buy on the "Tock" Cycle.

It usually means

a) A mature Process
b) Lower Price Point
c) Some technical improvements
d) Perepheral support is greater and lower priced

So.. If you have the mean, a 12 month upgrade cycle on the Tocks will keep you in great shape on a lower budget. If you have to have cutting edge with a high budget, then the Tick cycle is for you.

(Tick or tock) + 6 months = a good balance of lower priced parts availability. I'm not buying hardware only every other year. :p

so the triple channel memory motherboards.. is there still only going to be 4 ram slots, or 6????

A triple channel mobo will have 6 slots. From what I've read Bloomfield will support dual and triple channel.

The sooner the better. That way when I build a new pc in a year or two CPU's will be lightyears beyond what I'm used to :p (see sig). Can you imagine that my sig cost me 2700ish a little over 4 years ago?

Rule of Thumb;

Buy on the "Tock" Cycle.

It usually means

a) A mature Process
b) Lower Price Point

So.. If you have the mean, a 12 month upgrade cycle on the Tocks will keep you in great shape on a lower budget. If you have to have cutting edge with a high budget, then the Tick cycle is for you.

Except Nehalem is the Tock and it's certainly not cheaper. ;)

Rule of Thumb;

Buy on the "Tock" Cycle.

It usually means

a) A mature Process
b) Lower Price Point

Wow thanks for the heads up! I think I will build again next year with Westmere.

Where's the edit button around here?

To add to the above post:

I would suggest buying on the tick. The Tock is when they take an existing process and create a new architecture. The Tick is when they take a proven architecture and move it to a smaller, more efficient process (i.e. 55nm-45nm as with Penryn). This will generally lower prices because they can produce more die per wafer. As we saw with the e8400 and e 8500, which were faster, more power efficient, ran cooler, and were still around the same price as the previous gen.

im just wondering why one will get this new cpu, invest so much money in a new cpu,mobo and ram...

you're fancy new q9550's ain't even juicing it all out..and already you want a new system..

i really really think that this is all about bragging rights right now...

my 2cents..

The price is pretty much the end of the year, like December. They said Q4. It can't be the price just launched. This is just as usual how Intel set the price. They are not those nice companies. On top of that, I saw news that the 2.66GHz one will not support triple memory channel. I am not going to wait for this. This isn't the real deal of socket 1366. The real deal will come next year.

(hope its true)

Nice - the sooner they launch the sooner the prices will drop. Its getting a little boring around here anyway. The AMD exec's must be wondering just what it was they did to annoy <insert your favorite diety here> so much.

im just wondering why one will get this new cpu, invest so much money in a new cpu,mobo and ram...

you're fancy new q9550's ain't even juicing it all out..and already you want a new system..

i really really think that this is all about bragging rights right now...

my 2cents..

Mostly because my socket939 went EOL years ago, and I've pushed it as far as I can for upgrades. What I don't want to do is buy on the end of 775 and then be stuck for upgrades. 939 worked out pretty well for me in that respect, and I got to stick with the platform for a long time.

As far as bragging rights go, you know around here you only get to brag for a couple months before the next new comes out anyways. That hasn't stopped me from running my current machine for this long.

Time to build something new and do filter-down upgrades to the other machines in the house. It's been a couple years, after all. :)

I think I will wait like I did in the C2D generation until a revised and debugged version of the chips come out. This will also give the market time to calm down and drop in price as the starting out price is always stupid high.

While this really is great news, moving up the release date, as tempted as I am I will have to wait until next year before I 'invest' in a new system. It is only three months since my last build, based on a Q6600, and while modest when compared to many of the systems built by the bleeding edge enthusiasts here, it will do for now.

God, I can't wait until next year.

Back