Intel Hit by a Devastating Data Breach, Chip Designs, Code, Possible Backdoors Leaked

erek

[H]F Junkie
"The most fascinating part of the leak is the person points to the possibility of Intel laying backdoors in its code and designs - a very tinfoil hat though likely possibility in the post-9/11 world. Intel in a comment to Tom's Hardware denied that its security apparatus had been compromised, and instead blamed someone with access to this information for downloading the data. "We are investigating this situation. The information appears to come from the Intel Resource and Design Center, which hosts information for use by our customers, partners and other external parties who have registered for access. We believe an individual with access downloaded and shared this data," a company spox said."

https://www.techpowerup.com/270735/...h-chip-designs-code-possible-backdoors-leaked

I'm just surprised that so many on here don't care about this incident, seems like it's moot or of no consequence whatsoever
Oh, it's going to matter in the coming months, via all the new exploits being brought to light and/or reverse-engineered due to this, and not strictly on the CPU front.
Intel has one hell of an uphill battle, and the hits just keep on coming...

The original twitter thread made mention of a "RAS - backdoor". RAS stands for Reliability, Availability, Serviceability in chip design so it's probably just a boring DEBUG port and is _by definition_ a backdoor. <sigh>. Highly recommend not accessing these documents as they _could_ contain export controlled information which has some pretty severe penalties in the USA at least.

Oh, it's going to matter in the coming months, via all the new exploits being brought to light and/or reverse-engineered due to this, and not strictly on the CPU front.
Intel has one hell of an uphill battle, and the hits just keep on coming...

All of their anti-competitive and cut-throat behavior over the last 40 years has come back to bite them in the ass.

is the devastating title accurate or too much?
If you are in the position to analyze all the information and then evaluate it's impact and come to the conclusion that it is devastating, no. Otherwise it just suggests you have no idea what you are talking about and are making up sensationalistic headlines.

One could probably assume this will lower Intel's stock value even more lol, maybe I can get in cheap haha.

I heard about this earlier, but didn't really look too deep (not sure those files are safe to download, not taking any chances).

Anyhow, I'm pretty sure if there is a backdoor, and there could be, it wouldn't be labelled with a code comment saying "backdoor".

Come on, now.

6tW.gif

The last few years haven't been kind to Intel. Hopefully AMD can get some more marketshare in the meantime and maybe NVIDIA get ARM, then the market and future would be very interesting,

I heard about this earlier, but didn't really look too deep (not sure those files are safe to download, not taking any chances).

Anyhow, I'm pretty sure if there is a backdoor, and there could be, it wouldn't be labelled with a code comment saying "backdoor".

Come on, now.

Well if their password is "intel123" then you never know...

"The information appears to come from the Intel Resource and Design Center, which hosts information for use by our customers, partners and other external parties who have registered for access".
As much fun as it is to laugh at Intel, unless this guy has documents other than ones people can just register to download it doesn't seem news worthy at all.

The original twitter thread made mention of a "RAS - backdoor". RAS stands for Reliability, Availability, Serviceability in chip design so it's probably just a boring DEBUG port and is _by definition_ a backdoor. <sigh>. Highly recommend not accessing these documents as they _could_ contain export controlled information which has some pretty severe penalties in the USA at least.

I grabbed em,been digging in all night. Intel is self destructing.

This screams CCP attack.

My 3960x is like... meh could care less

But me on the other hand im like Fuck me, how much more bullshit can our nation afford to have stolen or Fd up

Elon Musk claims have a .01 percent chance of happening.
If you are in the position to analyze all the information and then evaluate it's impact and come to the conclusion that it is devastating, no. Otherwise it just suggests you have no idea what you are talking about and are making up sensationalistic headlines.

Jeez dude, that's just plain mean.

To be fair, the thread title is exactly the article headline from TPU. Perhaps sensational, but from the linked story.

To be fair, the thread title is exactly the article headline from TPU. Perhaps sensational, but from the linked story.
And that changes nothing about my statement. It is a sensationalist clickbait headline. If it is a "devastating," tell me why please. I am not saying it is not, but if you are characterizing it that way, an explanation is required.

And that changes nothing about my statement. It is a sensationalist clickbait headline. If it is a "devastating," tell me why please. I am not saying it is not, but if you are characterizing it that way, an explanation is required.

I said this on Twitter, storm in a teacup.

i wont say whose compute group i worked on, but lets just say that *each* of the 4 groups had X000 nodes in it and each node had 4 cpus
some of you may or may not know what/who circuit verification and mentor ;)

It seems these days that 20 gigs would actually not be that much data for chip design.

Welp time to replace my old Xeons/i3 8100.

Outside of Threadripper any good recommend for an Epyc 8 core SOC? I prefer to run ECC for my ZFS builds.

yesterday's Steam outage headline on [H] was 'Major!, Right Now!!!!'...now this Intel one is labeled as 'Devastating'

what can I say, TPU was slammed and worried they would be blasted for missing one little thing that could cost them $5,000.

lesson, Don't read headlines kids.

It seems these days that 20 gigs would actually not be that much data for chip design.
well in all fairness if they got any one of the chips form the last 10 years they can probably mess up a lot of stuff being the cores are still mostly the same

If it is a "devastating," tell me why please. I am not saying it is not, but if you are characterizing it that way, an explanation is required.

"Allegedly devastating"? :ROFLMAO:
Couldn't resist.

This could be bad for Intel on several legal fronts I imagine, if there are notes/comments or some evidence that points to management knowing about security concerns from speculative execution for example, and choosing to use those designs.
If there's data along those lines or that could be used to help convincingly paint that picture, I imagine that's a very bad day for Intel.

"Allegedly devastating"? :ROFLMAO:
Couldn't resist.

This could be bad for Intel on several legal fronts I imagine, if there are notes/comments or some evidence that points to management knowing about security concerns from speculative execution for example, and choosing to use those designs.
If there's data along those lines or that could be used to help convincingly paint that picture, I imagine that's a very bad day for Intel.

you completely skipped over Kyle’s question / statement and came back with an answer that makes no sense.

Let us try to repeat his statement & question again. Given that all of this data can be accessed by anyone who creates an account on Intel’s website and goes to the download and document sections and this was most likely somebody that just downloaded everything and put it into a zip file. How is this a huge data breach or really even news to begin with? If you wanted this data all you had to do was register on their site and you could have had it. Even if this was something that only certain people could register to see it still would be something that thousands or hundreds of thousands would have all had access to.

This isn’t inside company information that was leaked this is public information that sits behind a registration wall. This would be the same as somebody copy and pasting the contents of a pay wall news article onto twitter and everyone calling that a data breach.

That was the question. How does somebody posting publicly available content that normally requires you to register to see constitute devastating data breach?

Intel ME Bringup guides + (flash) tooling + samples for various platforms
Kabylake (Purley Platform) BIOS Reference Code and Sample Code + Initialization code (some of it as exported git repos with full history)
Intel CEFDK (Consumer Electronics Firmware Development Kit (Bootloader stuff)) SOURCES
Silicon / FSP source code packages for various platforms
Various Intel Development and Debugging Tools
Simics Simulation for Rocket Lake S and potentially other platforms
Various roadmaps and other documents
Binaries for Camera drivers Intel made for SpaceX
Schematics, Docs, Tools + Firmware for the unreleased Tiger Lake platform
(very horrible) Kabylake FDK training videos
Intel Trace Hub + decoder files for various Intel ME versions
Elkhart Lake Silicon Reference and Platform Sample Code
Some Verilog stuff for various Xeon Platforms, unsure what it is exactly
Debug BIOS/TXE builds for various Platforms
Bootguard SDK (encrypted zip)
Intel Snowridge / Snowfish Process Simulator ADK
Various schematics
Intel Marketing Material Templates (InDesign)
Lots of other things

Please do the needful and share the links where I can get all this public info

We know the lengths companies go to in order to protect data (theirs, less ours). Any company wouldn't want stuff like this in the wild, doesn't need to be spelt out. What isn't valuable today could be in the future.. etc etc

Please do the needful and share the links where I can get all this public info

We know the lengths companies go to in order to protect data (theirs, less ours). Any company wouldn't want stuff like this in the wild, doesn't need to be spelt out. What isn't valuable today could be in the future.. etc etc

I am going to make a guess and say here. https://software.intel.com/content/www/us/en/develop/home.html

the article is the one that said all of this is available if you register and somebody probably just downloaded it with their account and posted it. I am not going to go hunt it down, but if that is the case then I will assume the developer section would be the place to start.

For those unable to read the article because two paragraphs is too much reading for you and your attention span or reading ability.

From the article "We are investigating this situation. The information appears to come from the Intel Resource and Design Center, which hosts information for use by our customers, partners and other external parties who have registered for access. We believe an individual with access downloaded and shared this data”

Back