Intel E8400 how log will it last

Bman123

Supreme [H]ardness
Well from my rig in my sig you can see I have a 64x2 5000+ cpu.
I am gonna be upgrading soon so here is my parts list please tell me what you think.

E8400
Ga p35-ds3l
2 gig 1066 ram corsair
500gig 7200rpm WD internal HD
AC cooler pro cpu cooler
Antec 300
Windows vista 64 bit.
Hopefully a gtx 260 (probably a 9800gtx+)
Antec ea 500d

I dont know if the games out now are taxing current hardware like a E8400.I dont have enough cash for i7 so that is totally out of the question.My build is only gonna cost me $350 before the video card so around $450-$500 in total.

I wonder if this build will last awhile.
The mobo,cpu,cpu cooler,ram and hard drive are all part of a bundle deal I can get for a very good price.I already have the PSU so I just gotta get the case,the os and a video card

Do you think that my choice for build will last a year or 2?
Res will be low around 1280x1024

the cpu,mobo,ram,cooler and hard drive are all part of a bundle deal that I cannot pass up on.
Is my selection on the os,case and video card ok or no?

I just dont wanna have to worry about upgrading for quite some time around 2 years if possible.
I just started playing pc games this year so I missed out on alot of stuff so far.

I am thinking about getting these games so please tell me if they will run good on the new rig in progres
Bioshock
NFS MW
FC 2
NBA 2k9
Cod4
Lost planet
Doom 3

As long as Crysis is not in the list, it will run fine on 4850/9800GTX + in most resolutions.

I just want to get on the intel bandwagon so I can get better framerates.
As long as there is a big difference in framerate the E8400 should hold me over for at least a year.

Shoot I've been trying to answer this myself, I NEED to get rid of my 3800+, it's bottlenecking me like crazy.

I forgot where but I did see somewhere tests on different cpus and my 5000+ got friggin owned by the E8400.I gott a find the link if I do I will send it to you

Do you have any games already that are giving you less than stellar performance?

Well, with The System in my Sig I play COD4 on a 19" lcd 1280 x 1024 res with everything on high and vertical sync on and never fall below 75 frps (refresh rate) I have turned it off and was in the upper 90-100. I also played Farcry 2 with no problems (cant remember fps didn’t play it much before i gave it to a friend). and Bioshock is no problem at all on high settings.

I am running Xp so this isn’t in DX10 but my system which has a cheaper processor runs most of the games you listed fine. I do not own the other games so i can not comment on those. I will tell you I had to over clock the cpu from 2.2 stock to 3.2 in order to see these gains. With less cache and lower clock speed OC was just needed to see the performance. With the E8400 having more L2 and faster stock you should be fine. Especially when you overclock it.

Hope this helps.

In cod 4 I have hit down in the 40's for my framerate.
I know my cpu is bottlenecking me for sure.

I want to be able to enjoy the games that are out now.
I know I could make it on my current rig playing the older games that I didn't get to enjoy.
I want to be able to play the older games,the games now.
I cannot play games that tax the cpu since my cpu isn;t fast,plus my low resolution puts a big strain on the cpu.

I wonder how long it will be before the E8400 will not be adequate for gaming.

I wonder how long it will be before the E8400 will not be adequate for gaming.

Awhile, most of todays popular games are still grossly gpu bottlenecked and especially at higher res. In many cases a E8x00 is going to net you the same frames as a quad because of this. I think you could confidently use an OC'd E8x00 for another year before the games take too much advantage of the quads and gpus are out which alleviate the bottleneck

How hard is it to get a E8400 to 4ghz?
I know jack about overclocking but if it isn't rocket science I will go for it and see if I can get it to 4ghz.
@4ghz it should last a little longer and 4ghz compared to my 2.6 ghz that I have now should make a huge difference in gaming

Its about the median average for an aircooled 8400 it seems. Which is to say the range for those who use anything above the stock hsf and increase voltage at all seems to be 3.8-4.2. An E8400@4Ghz is substantially better than your 5000+

My new C2D system completely blows my AMD 3700+ system outa the water and I got it for a good price vs the Nehalam and mATX boards arn't available for the i7 either, so.

I am sure the E8400 will blow my 5000+ out of the water,
FOr a total cost of $500 I feel it is a no brainer to upgrade to the E8400.

I just read in the i7 thread and the E8400 is a great idea for me

Its about the median average for an aircooled 8400 it seems. Which is to say the range for those who use anything above the stock hsf and increase voltage at all seems to be 3.8-4.2. An E8400@4Ghz is substantially better than your 5000+

Substantialy better?

Even a 7200 overclocked at 3ghz completely slaughtered my 3800 X2 @ a 2.4 ghz

An E8400 at 4Ghz will definately last a year or two. Down the road all you'll need to do is upgrade your vid card and maybe slap in another 2GB of ram.

I will get 4gigs of ram for sure but I am getting 2gigs with my bundle deal I am getting

Now for the video card.I sold my hd4850 to fund the purchase of the cpu bundle.
I will either be at 1280x1024 or 1680x1050
Would I be ok with a 9800gtx+ or should I just get a gtx260?I dont know if my psu will be enough tho for a gtx 260.It does have 2 6 pin connectors but I dont know if the ole antec ea500d will be enough
What do you think.

I will get 4gigs of ram for sure but I am getting 2gigs with my bundle deal I am getting

Now for the video card.I sold my hd4850 to fund the purchase of the cpu bundle.
I will either be at 1280x1024 or 1680x1050
Would I be ok with a 9800gtx+ or should I just get a gtx260?I dont know if my psu will be enough tho for a gtx 260.It does have 2 6 pin connectors but I dont know if the ole antec ea500d will be enough
What do you think.

You got 34A on your 12v, that's enough for the GTX260 when you start adding everything else it should just be enough, just barely. GTX260 alone at full loads looks like she needs about 23-24A. That gives you ten for everything else running off your 12v rail. I'd feel more comfortable with some overhead. Your cutting it real close

Partial thread hijack:
Will ddr2 800 work in an e7200 or e8400 rig (ie are there ram dividers)?

Do they go low enough to allow decent OCs?

Depends on the motherboard. Some mobos don't have allow for a 1:1 ratio. Though those are pretty rare now.

For a 1:1 ratio, DDR2 800 RAM is more than enough for a decent OC with the E7200 and E8400:

Stated FSB/4 = Actual FSB
Actual FSB x 4 = Stated FSB
Multiplier x Actual FSB = CPU Speed
1:1 Ratio: 2 x Actual FSB = RAM Speed
1:1 Ratio: FSB = 1/2 RAM speed
Note that C2D systems don't see a performance increase with any ratio higher than 1:1

E7200:
Multi x Actual FSB, RAM Speed = Clock Speed
9.5 × 266Mhz = 2.53Ghz, DDR2-533 <<== Stock speeds
9.5 × 333Mhz = 3.16Ghz, DDR2-667 <<== Easy OC
9.5 × 400Mhz = 3.8Ghz, DDR2-800 <<== Excellent OC

E8400:
Multi x Actual FSB, RAM Speed = Clock Speed
9 x 333Mhz, DDR2 667 RAM = 3.0Ghz <== Stock Speeds
9 x 400Mhz, DDR2 800 RAM = 3.6Ghz <== Easy OC
9 x 450Mhz, DDR2 900 RAM = 4.0Ghz <== Excellent OC
9 x 500Mhz, DDR2 1000 RAM = 4.5Ghz <== If you're EXTREMELY lucky

What if the ram is ddr2 1066.@ gigs 2 1 gig sticks.
Will this ram play nice with the mobo or no?

I am getting all this stuff in a bundle deal from a member here.
E8400
GA p35-ds3l mobo
2 gig corsair 1066mhz ram
Arctic cooler pro cpu cooler
WD 7200rpm 500gig HD
Samsung dvd drive

basically a whole pc besides the video card,case and os.

Will this be a big improvement over my current rig danny

How much for that bundle?

And yes it will be a good improvement over your current setup.

I would go with a quad personally. More games are taking advantage of four cores now -- Left 4 Dead and Far Cry 2 run substantially better on a quad. Yes you will get better performance with a dual on single threaded apps, but overall there's not a huge difference. However, when an application is written to utilize four threads, there is a huge difference when it is ran on dual vs quad core.

Check out the results from Valve's particle simulation:

http://techreport.com/articles.x/12091/5

Anyways, an E8400 will last you awhile probably and will be an improvement over your current setup. But I just think you'd be future-proofing yourself longer with a quad.

I am so cpu limited right now it isn;t even funny.I play at low resolutions so I am sure that with the E8400 my gaming framerate would increase dramatically
If I am wrong someone please correct me

Yes the RAM will work well with that mobo. However how much are you paying for that 2GB of DDR2 1066 RAM? If it's more than $30, don't bother considering that you can 4GB of DDR2 800 RAM for $50 and DDR2 1000 RAM for $65:
G.Skill F2-6400CL5D-4GBPQ 2 x 2GB DDR2 800 RAM - $50
G.Skill F2-8000CL5D-4GBPQ 2 x 2GB DDR2 1000 RAM - $65

Danny, that G.Skill RAM you recommended me is awesome, I just plugged it in and it works flawlessly and I just got my Scythe Shuriken installed so now i'm looking forward to hopefully hitting 3.6ghz with my E8500 I hope without upping the voltage

I am just a lil worried about how long the E8400 will last?
I dont know if I should keep the E8400 or sell it and get a q6600

Your worrying to much about an object thats already outclassed by the new CPU's, the question you have to ask your self is how much your willing to spend to keep up your e-penis vs just building a system that will suit your needs for awhile until its time to upgrade again for a decent prices once the market has settled down a bit

Anyways, an E8400 will last you awhile probably and will be an improvement over your current setup. But I just think you'd be future-proofing yourself longer with a quad.

Theres no such thing as "future proofing" He can pick up a i7 quad down the road for a much better price and when more software/games take advantage of quad like I decided to do.

Danny, that G.Skill RAM you recommended me is awesome, I just plugged it in and it works flawlessly and I just got my Scythe Shuriken installed so now i'm looking forward to hopefully hitting 3.6ghz with my E8500 I hope without upping the voltage

You're welcome :) Good luck with the OC.

Ok, how long a CPU lasts is totally up to you, not some arbitrary time period. Yes you're CPU limited now but that's only a problem if YOU want higher FPS. If you're perfectly fine with the FPS you're getting now or in the future, then CPU limitations WILL NOT MATTER.

So again, how long a CPU lasts in your system is completely up to you. No matter what CPU you get, it's up to you whether or not that CPU provides acceptable performance in a year or more.

With my current rig and a hd4850 I was getting framerates in the low 40's minimum.My avg was around 60-70 max was around 200
What was killing me was my lowest framerate.When I would hit the low 40's the game would get jerky and run like shit.The hd4850 was total overkill.
I could run maxxed settings in cod4 but I was being heldback by my cpu.
I just hope with the E8400 that my min FR goes up alot.AS long as my minimum FR goes up quite a bit I will be very happy.

Back