Intel Core i9-14900KS

hardware unboxed - tim asleep.jpg

Anyone seen results for undervolting or underclocking this? I'm curious if you could achieve 14900K performance with less power draw

Anyone seen results for undervolting or underclocking this? I'm curious if you could achieve 14900K performance with less power draw
It's doubtful. Not many people have had a chance to get their hands on one yet. Usually in a review, you don't have enough time prior to the embargo date being lifted to test every possible scenario. Undervolting being one of them you typically just don't have time for.

That's cheap for a high end processor. Intel and AMD's mainstream segment processors used to be $1,000.
Oh I remember waiting for AMD's first dual core to drop from 1000 to 600 bucks and then I picked it up. But, lets be real, we're now on the fourth version of the 13900k.

This is an hard product to price,

Application relative performance
14900KS: 100.0%
14900K: 97.1%
7950x: 94.3%

LLVM compilation
14900ks: 428 second
14900k: 428s
7950x: 452s

Considering the power, target audience could be quite niche and restricted has an halo product for gamers that went to have the very best in the intel family with very high performance DDR-5 kit and traders for who latency is a giant part of what they want and spend a lot of money and prefer consumer-gaming stuff over Xeon-Epyc because it is not that they need ECC-lot of threads-lot of GPU, etc... but all about latency-speed in short burst and do not mind spending $1600 on a mobo-ddr kit combo.

i.e. if they sell it cheaper, not sure they would sell much more, price is not much of a factor for the buyer of this.

That's cheap for a high end processor. Intel and AMD's mainstream segment processors used to be $1,000.
But today competition is strong, this is 257mm of a very modest node.

A 4080 super has 380mm of TSMC 5 in comparison maybe getting close to doubling the transistor count, come with 16GB of gddr6x-quite the pcb-power management-a ridiculously big and pricey cooling solution for that price now. And some people consider the $1000 price tag of that 4080 super to be ridiculously high.

I wonder how closer to the actual top CPU the intel-amd top of the line mainstream CPU are versus back in the day (say the 14900kl-7950x versus 128-192 core Epyc cpus)

Last edited:
But today competition is strong, this is 257mm of a very modest node.

A 4080 super has 380mm of TSMC 5 in comparison maybe getting close to doubling the transistor count, come with 16GB of gddr6x-quite the pcb-power management-a ridiculously big and pricey cooling solution for that price now. And some people consider the $1000 price tag of that 4080 super to be ridiculously high.

I wonder how closer to the actual top CPU the intel-amd top of the line mainstream CPU used to be versus now (say the 14900kl-7950x versus 128-192 core Epyc cpus)
GPU and CPU prices have never been indicative of one another. You are comparing Apples and VW Jetta's. The fact is, this is a premium part priced accordingly. Value is not really something that factors into parts like this a whole lot. The people who buy this stuff don't care. In fact, if you've been buying ultra-high end CPU's as long as I have, its cheap.

Consumes tons of power, costs 20+% more, delivers a good frame or two extra (if that much) in performance.

I hear that maybe Intel only made 14 of these.... which sounds about right....

Consumes tons of power, costs 20+% more, delivers a good frame or two extra (if that much) in performance.
Yeah that's why I never look at these as being any serious contender for me at least.

7950x launched at $710, the price itself is not the issue here, the gap with the regular 14900k is more what will make it really niche, a lot of the type of people interested will have dealt with the price-heat we can imagine, would the performance would have been anything significant (say 5%, here the cinebench move by margin of error). Maybe not the office type too, for who large radiator watercooling or noise could be an issue).

Last edited:
7950x launched at $710, the price itself is not the issue here, the gap with the regular 14900k is more what will make it really niche, a lot of the type of people interested will have dealt with the price-heat we can imagine. Maybe not the office type too.
Agreed. The differences between the K and KS models has never been "worth it" from any type of value perspective. This is Intel essentially doing what Silicon Lottery used to do by binning chips for the buyers. You would pay a premium for a CPU that was tested and verified to reach XYZ clock speeds.

As a guy who has talked with customers face-to-face and sold gaming PCs out of a brick-and-mortar store for over a decade:

There are some who "just want the best" and will 'sort by price: highest-to-lowest' and add two of the top result to cart.

I keep saying this, but PC Gaming is an INCREDIBLY, INCREDIBLY, REDICULOUSLY cheap hobby. like, to the point of parody.

Think of ANY hobby where $10,000 can get you the literal endgame 'can't get any better' 'top 10 in the world' 'literally can't spend any more money' example of that hobby.

motorbikes?
import cars?
RC planes/cars?
woodworking?
machining/metalwork?
camping/4x4?
sailing/fishing?
hunting/shooting?

Nothing as cheap as PCs. $750? Thats a weekend for most hobbies. So the fact that there's a LOT of people (more than you think, Yes, I'm talking to YOU, yes YOU: more than YOU THINK) who look at dropping $5-6K on a PC and think "Hey, that's 1/3 of the price of my mid-range boat motor"... Spending an extra $100-$200 bucks on getting "The top end" versus "The second to top end" is a fart in the wind.

Think of ANY hobby where $10,000 can get you the literal endgame 'can't get any better' 'top 10 in the world' 'literally can't spend any more money' example of that hobby.
10k would be a lot of movie ticket in the best movie theater in your city, a lot of live theater in the best theater, a lot of best books to read, console gaming would be a little bit cheaper.

Has for more people than some thinks, the speed in which the 4090 sold and how long the line were for it should remove much doubt about it, there was an idea among some that it was all crypto for the high priced 3090-6950xt.... it was not and when the 4090 launched (october 2022) it very wasn't (etherium shifted proof-of-stake in september), that 0.9% on steam user with a 4090 would be around 1 million player rocking a 4090 if they are not overrepresented and that the 120 millions active user is not a steam spin. If they sold around 160k first week, 1 millions by now too gamers alone around the world in 75 week would not be impossible .

Last edited:
10k would be a lot of movie ticket in the best movie theater in your city, a lot of live theater in the best theater, a lot of best books to read, console gaming would be a little bit cheaper.

Has for more people than some thinks, the speed in which the 4090 sold and how long the line were for it should remove much doubt about it, there was an idea among some that it was all crypto.... when the 4090 launched it very wasn't, that 0.9% on steam user with a 4090 would be around 1 million player rocking a 4090 if they are not overrepresented and that the 120 millions active user is not a steam spin. If they sold around 160k first week, 1 millions by now too gamers alone around the world in 75 week would not be impossible .
Good point on the books, but to be fair, 'Going to the movies' isn't as much as a hobby as 'Home theatre Film Enthusiast' and in the Home theatre space, $10K is a mid-range surround sound system.

Reactions: isp
like this

Yeah, the 6950X was what $1,750 at launch? $730 street? This is like two for one here.

Target audience:

A) Peeps who think they just HAVE to have the "latest & greatest"

B) Peeps who have more $$ than brains...(sometimes synonymous with A above)

Some minor details were posted here earlier today:

https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/...rocessor-for-enthusiasts.320354/#post-5218301
you forgot about those that like to benchmark like myself and those on HWbot teams... also anyone who buys this and expects it to go fast on an AIO with sub 7000 ram is an idiot, much like the reviews Ive already seen...

looking forward to putting this in my delidder immediately after buying 10lbs of Dry Ice

Last edited:
Yeah, the 6950X was what $1,750 at launch? $730 street? This is like two for one here.
They had 4 memory channels with 40 pci lanes, probably more comparable to those workstation 4-mem channel Xeon of today (but they had no ECC support I think so no real comparable in today market).

Last edited:
They had 4 memory channels with 40 pci lanes, probably more comparable to those workstation 4-mem channel Xeon of today (they had no ECC support so no real comparable in today market).
The 6850K and up had that. Only the lowly 6800K was gimped. And they were pretty much drop in's on LGA 2011-v3 MB's. Bios update and away you went. Or, you could drop a xeon in there as many of us have.

But, back then you could tell an HEDT geared system from the higher end consumer oriented chips. All about that X. 3960X, 4960X, 5960X then this 6950X thing. No one needed all those lanes and extra memory channels, right? Still don't.

The 6850K and up had that. Only the lowly 6800K was gimped. And they were pretty much drop in's on LGA 2011-v3 MB's. Bios update and away you went. Or, you could drop a xeon in there as many of us have.

But, back then you could tell an HEDT geared system from the higher end consumer oriented chips. All about that X. 3960X, 4960X, 5960X then this 6950X thing. No one needed all those lanes and extra memory channels, right? Still don't.
Yes I did need those lanes lol.

I ran all sorts of SLI on my 6900K along with a nice sound blaster card.

I've been gaming at 4k for prolly over 10 years. Glorious.

I'll probably end up with this 14900KS to replace my 12700K.

If compared to the bios sp-core rating you have posted a few nice looking, but unjuicy pictures.
:p

so derbauer has a new video up testing his new direct die waterblock on this cpu which seems to actually tame this beast keeping it under 90c under full load, but what i found mind blowing is the power draw, 333w ???!!!! that's insane. i still think it's funny how they talked so much trash about amd when they had the 220w FX-9590. not to mention this is coming on the heels of the problems people have been having with the regular 13900k & 14900k's (discussed here) which hasn't had an official fix yet. yikes

14900ks_pak.jpg

so derbauer has a new video up testing his new direct die waterblock on this cpu which seems to actually tame this beast keeping it under 90c under full load, but what i found mind blowing is the power draw, 333w ???!!!! that's insane. i still think it's funny how they talked so much trash about amd when they had the 220w FX-9590. not to mention this is coming on the heels of the problems people have been having with the regular 13900k & 14900k's (discussed here) which hasn't had an official fix yet. yikes

View attachment 642111
and remember what the truth of the world is: Nobody cares how, as long as they're winning.

Trying harder is only a crime when you lose.

Would the power savings even come close to the extra $160.00 in cost between the two?

Just undervolt the 14900K for similar performance and save money at the same time.

Wait for the 14900Z+++ version. 6GHz base clock.
600W and stacked direct die coldplate needed with cascade refrigeration required to keep under 80°C when running cinebench for more than five minutes...

EDIT:

Talk about diminishing returns! My 14900K on AIR gets nearly 41K in CB23.
Those direct die blocks like nice though...

Last edited:

View: https://youtu.be/pUOH95NbbBY?si=fxytrF2kFMy7S7Za

I will be skipping the 14900KS because it doesn't actually have better binned silicon like the 12900KS and the 13900KS. This processor has finally peaked and it peaked with the 13900KS the 14900K and 14900KS are redundant.

I was hoping for something amazing, but it has fallen short. No worries my 13900KS will carry me for a long time 🤗

I will be skipping the 14900KS because it doesn't actually have better binned silicon like the 12900KS and the 13900KS. This processor has finally peaked and it peaked with the 13900KS the 14900K and 14900KS are redundant.

I was hoping for something amazing, but it has fallen short. No worries my 13900KS will carry me for a long time 🤗
Not a bad decision. You likely won't miss anything and you're correct, if you have a good 13900K, KS or 14900K you can push it to mimic a 14900KS.

$50 extra for the "S" would have been barely tolerable for the performance difference from the "K". It's branding. More buzz for the product line. Very disappointing from a performance view.

Back