Intel Chipset Design Error!!!

Good thing I ordered my ASUS P8P67 Pro board this past weekend and got the tracking # this morning. Oh wait, not good. FFFFUUUUUUUuuuuuuuu

FFFFFFUUUUUUUU

I have everything setup just the way I like and now I have to rip the whole bloody thing appart. I just hope this doesn't screw up my new 240GB SSD.

Is there a workaround to this untill the mobo is swapped?

I doubt companies will accept the boards back unless you can show them you have an error...
They had better let us return the motherboards for a replacement as soon as boards with fixed silicon are available. :eek:

My worry is they'll replace returned motherboards with reworked / refurbished motherboards that will have electrical gremlins due to the BGA replacement rework affecting other solder joints on the board. :mad:

Anyone wanna bet when this will hit the front page of [H]? I'm thinking probably Thursday since the PSP2 didn't show up until Sunday. ;)

They had better let us return the motherboards for a replacement as soon as boards with fixed silicon are available. :eek:

My worry is they'll replace returned motherboards with reworked / refurbished motherboards that will have electrical gremlins due to the BGA replacement rework affecting other solder joints on the board. :mad:

more than likely.

I'm just dying to hook my SSD, my SATA-6GB/s drive, my older seagate and my burner up to the TWO Marvell ports :) Heck, I have nothing connected to those. I guess I'll at least put my SSD on the Marvell for now.

This truly sucks.

there have been a lot of problems with the Marvell ports having lower bandwidth from P55 to X58 to P67 boards. If you are using a regular HD probably won't matter but there are numerous posts of SSD drives under-performing on Marvell onboard controllers. The 3rd party add-on cards with the same chipset are significantly faster.

F...

So what happens to the people who can't go back to their old rigs and have to use their computers? I can't be out a desktop for a month.

Intel needs to come clean on this one...what exactly do they mean it "may" affect hard drives?

Well that sucks, I just sold my 980x so now I'm stuck with this thing.

Guess I'll just have to wait until my ssd and hard drives start corrupting or timing out or whatever will happen...

Well that sucks, I just sold my 980x so now I'm stuck with this thing.

Guess I'll just have to wait until my ssd and hard drives start corrupting or timing out or whatever will happen...

Same here. Already sold my Conroe rig :(

I guess the worse case is buying a replacement and getting a refund when when the old one is received. It is a pain in the arse but not such a big deal..

I guess the worse case is buying a replacement and getting a refund when when the old one is received. It is a pain in the arse but not such a big deal..

Only thing is, no replacement until April?! I already parted my system out. Just arrived at Frys....lets see how this goes...

Only thing is, no replacement until April?! I already parted my system out. Just arrived at Frys....lets see how this goes...
Let us know how it goes. When I made my most recent purchase the standard 30 day, mem/cpu 15day, was expanded to included restocking fees on some items, will not accept returns on opened for others.

Yeah, that's a real deal breaker for me. Already parted out my old system and I'm mad now. I cannot go without my desktop computer for a month! WTF Intel?

Oh greaaat. The day after i finally get around to assemble my sandy bridge. Now i gotta go back to MC and see of theyll honor a full refund for my mobo.

I may be OK, I got mine only a few days after that. Fingers crossed!

What they're saying is that all chipsets that have shipped are affected, but it could have been worse as it is has only be 3-weeks worth of product in the market that they have to swap out.

According to reports, it doesn't cause data loss, just performance decrease. So I guess we'll all be good to keep using the boards until they get enough replacements to RMA them. Intel says April for volume shipments though, so it'll be a while.

That is the problem as I see it. Intel needs to issue a recall so their users don't have to fight for fixes.

I doubt companies will accept the boards back unless you can show them you have an error...

Why not? Intel has acknowledge the problem. Why show them you have an error? And how would you even do that?

The question is, the defective chips started shipping January 9th to board builders? Boards built prior to this date are ok?

I like the wording they used. "May Degrade". so some may some may not. This explains why EVGA hasnt released a board yet. TO me this seems like they knew it was there but not sure so lets ship the boards anyway.

i highely doubt every board is effected like anadtech has said

"The second type of problem is more annoying, it’s a bug of a statistical nature. In these situations the problem doesn’t appear on every chip in every situation, but on every nth chip out of every n x somereallybignumber chips. When a bug doesn’t present itself in small quantities, it’s very difficult to track down. This is the nature of the 6-series chipset bug and it’s also why the problem didn’t appear soone"

Guess I'll be testing Gigabyte's RMA policy sooner than I thought.

I've RMA'd to Gigabyte before a couple of years ago, got a refurb back, no big deal.

According to this person http://forum.notebookreview.com/sager-clevo/551892-intel-recall-sandy-bridge-cpus-2.html#post7112914 , who may or may not know what he's talking about, this only affects the SATAII ports, not the SATAIII ports.

A couple posts down in that thread someone quotes a supposed message from Intel saying this as well.

Back