Intel Buys Off Mac Guy

Go to 0:15 in the video, and the overlay of the laptop covers his left thumb - wtf?!
Intel_Justin_Thumb.png

Took a screenshot for evidence, look at his thumb and the laptop.
I see that Intel is as good at making ads as it is at making CPUs. :meh:

Look at his hands in relation to the "reflection" on the laptop.
This is some seriously bad editing, and false advertising...
Intel_Justin_Hands.png

Are these unreleased MacBook Pro laptops (leaked early?), or are these faux mockups (more false advertising?)...?
Intel_Justin_Macs.png

Last edited:
Go to 0:15 in the video, and the overlay of the laptop covers his left thumb - wtf?!
View attachment 339905

View attachment 339907
cant have justin proximity to thier laptops. they could give him covid or something.. social distancing and all.

They should have one where he's doing some Intel nonsense "oh this one has this useless widget" and shooing off a Mac and then out of nowhere the former-Verizon-now-Sprint guy walks in and is just like "Feels weird, doesn't it?"

Wait aren't we supposed to be making fun of gimmicks... and want a no nonsense, nintendo DS less work laptop, cause PCs are seriously about the businesses.
Intels marketing has always been a bit schizophrenic but it really is hard to understand what there long term plan is. They are faster.... no they have more choices... no no they too are a lifestyle company.

I look forward to Intels life style lake chips. When the obvious comparisons to Apple will be logical, and only make this stuff more painful.

It's an artifact from boosting the screen brightness and contrast in post-processing. It's incredibly difficult to take photos and videos of lit displays; they shot it to capture the whole scene and then boosted the screen to make it look natural.

There isn't really any way to get around some level of post-processing with photos or video no matter how it's being presented. Some cameras even do some of this automatically without human intervention.

I'm guessing for video he set up some kind of macro that looks for screen shapes and stuck his thumb in there even though it was covering the corner.

View attachment 339905

View attachment 339907

Are these unreleased MacBook Pro laptops (leaked early?), or are these faux mockups (more false advertising?)...?
View attachment 339908
ermahgerd, they used digital overlays to enhance the look of the screen in crap lighting.

justin is an actor, goes where the money is...

Ironically, this may help Apple's case more than it hurts. Intel is only producing this ad because it sees Apple Silicon as a threat. There's a "please don't leave" subtext running through the whole ad campaign that may have people checking out Apple gear to see why Intel is so anxious.

Might be good if about non-Mac PCs, but because limited by Intel... well, the commercial just loses a lot of potential.

(AMD has an opportunity to exploit this if they wanted to with a bit of clever marketing)

I like the "no one really games on a mac" one even if that's not really as true as it used to be.

I'd still choose intel over apple and their overpriced walled garden any day, but honestly...what are they thinking here with these ads? The mac guy is going so far back I'm left wondering who they're trying to target here. Anyone old enough to remember this is probably already set in their ways. The PC people will buy ryzen (if they can get it) and the apple zealots will continue to buy macs. Anyone who should be targeted by these ads isn't going to remember the old ads.

They mention the Mac specifically, but I think it's just as much aimed at just trying to restore the Intel name a little bit. I can see these ads being aimed at people that aren't clueless about technology, but don't keep up with the latest and greatest either. The kind of people that would consider a Mac, but are usually PC people at home.
The kind of people that'll spring for 50 identical new PC's for their office, too. Remind them about Intel Inside and make sure they still think of AMD as "that lesser brand that isn't as good." I worked for a company run by people like that, and they'd make the call on hundreds of desktop PC's. They knew enough where they weren't clueless, but they'd make decisions based on brand advertising, too.

Windows Hello face unlock always worked quickly and flawlessly on the XPS laptops I owned. Apple's Face ID hates my face and works 50% at best. I disabled it on my iPad.

Intel Inc doesn't have a plan or an identity other than quarterly results. Its killing them. New CEO isn't turning things around yet.

I read that as Intel Beats Off Mac Guy

that would have been a whole other spin on things

https://bgr.com/2021/03/19/intel-vs-m1-macbooks-ads-failure-youtube/
Intel is clearly terrified of what the M1 MacBooks promise, but the campaign might hurt the company more than it helps. It’s not like people will stop buying Intel-based laptops all of a sudden now that the M1 chip is real. Also, it’s not like people will necessarily want Intel-based laptops to begin with. What Windows users seek is a laptop that runs Windows. It doesn’t have to have an Intel inside.

prob a bunch of butthurt mac users. they werent that bad....
Why would they be butt hurt? They already have the faster machines. "Weren't that bad" is also the "Jim Belushi" of complements. The commercials are woefully behind the times at best and out of touch at worst. As has been noted in this thread: who are these commercials for? No one under 25 even remembers the original commercials, and they don't really have any significant relevance on their own.
Way more about Intel being scared than anyone being butt hurt. How about make a better product instead of making a bunch of dumb commercials that aren't for anyone?

That was a complete mischaracterization of Windows users. If Windows were to magically be transported to ARM without the compatibility with legacy software, people wouldn't use it. Someone using a computer as a glorified Chromebook...sure it doesn't matter one way or the other. However, if you're using a computer and want the greatest amount of backward compatibility with legacy software and the largest back catalog of said software, you're looking at a Windows install regardless of your personal beliefs about Windows.

That was a complete mischaracterization of Windows users. If Windows were to magically be transported to ARM without the compatibility with legacy software, people wouldn't use it. Someone using a computer as a glorified Chromebook...sure it doesn't matter one way or the other. However, if you're using a computer and want the greatest amount of backward compatibility with legacy software and the largest back catalog of said software, you're looking at a Windows install regardless of your personal beliefs about Windows.
Ehhhh, I would say the people that need legacy software in order to do the work they need to do is small and becoming smaller. It's mostly relegated to really old businesses that have software that is written in old obscure languages that no one dares touch because stability matters far more than modernization - even though of course everyone knows it is a time bomb that eventually will have to change.
When I left UPS 10 years ago, its inbound/outbound software for deploying trucks was literally still running in DOS - but that could easily be emulated in ARM just as it's easily emulated in x86/Windows. Even in 2010 though it was woefully outdated. It's not an issue really for people buying OEM's or for Servers - that are never running Windows based OS's to begin with - and they can VM anything as necessary anyway.

In terms of general users though, most don't need any piece of software that wasn't written in the last 10 years. The [H] is well known for talking about "normal" computer users as opposed to the elite and it's obvious the elite are vastly outweighed by people that mostly use computers like appliances. And the real characterization of most Windows users is that they use it because it's the "default" operating system for them to use for a low(er) cost computing device (which also I believe is coincidentally why the Chromebook you just brought up is gaining market share at the cost of Windows). In other words they aren't using it because they need compatibility they're using it because that's just what you use. People that actually "need" 30+ years of legacy as a general user I would bet would be a fraction of 1%. People that want 30+ years of legacy might well be higher, but in terms of productivity and getting their work done? Yeah, no.

Ehhhh, I would say the people that need legacy software in order to do the work they need to do is small and becoming smaller. It's mostly relegated to really old businesses that have software that is written in old obscure languages that no one dares touch because stability matters far more than modernization - even though of course everyone knows it is a time bomb that eventually will have to change.
When I left UPS 10 years ago, its inbound/outbound software for deploying trucks was literally still running in DOS - but that could easily be emulated in ARM just as it's easily emulated in x86/Windows. Even in 2010 though it was woefully outdated. It's not an issue really for people buying OEM's or for Servers - that are never running Windows based OS's to begin with - and they can VM anything as necessary anyway.

In terms of general users though, most don't need any piece of software that wasn't written in the last 10 years. The [H] is well known for talking about "normal" computer users as opposed to the elite and it's obvious the elite are vastly outweighed by people that mostly use computers like appliances. And the real characterization of most Windows users is that they use it because it's the "default" operating system for them to use for a low(er) cost computing device (which also I believe is coincidentally why the Chromebook you just brought up is gaining market share at the cost of Windows). In other words they aren't using it because they need compatibility they're using it because that's just what you use. People that actually "need" 30+ years of legacy as a general user I would bet would be a fraction of 1%. People that want 30+ years of legacy might well be higher, but in terms of productivity and getting their work done? Yeah, no.

Corporations need it. Corporations are why Microsoft is a thing. It's sort of painful but that's the case.

Corporations need it. Corporations are why Microsoft is a thing. It's sort of painful but that's the case.
Right, but even in that aspect most of the general workforce inside of said corporations don't.
Again, usually it's highly specialized software that is running the background of different services that are running off of old code. I brought up UPS, but there is the banking industry as another great example (although I think that's changing - because it has to). Anyway, the point is, all of that stuff could be thrown onto a server and onto a VM if needs to keep chugging along somewhere. It's generally not stuff that every employee needs to interface with constantly - and the people that do again can open up a browser window and drop into it on a server somewhere. Neither of which necessitates usage of either x86 or Windows.

In my UPS example, it was literally one employee that had to interface with that inbound/outbound software (some days, that was me). Most of the other general computers were reasonably more modernized. And even that machine was of course just using DOS through Windows emulation - again something that could just as well be on a server and that whole system could just be a low powered ARM appliance. Taking it a step further, that server wouldn't even have to be local. UPS being an international company, the servers could be in Kansas or Wisconsin or wherever power is cheap and be kept decentralized.

Why would they be butt hurt? They already have the faster machines. "Weren't that bad" is also the "Jim Belushi" of complements. blah blah blah
because someone dared to criticize their precious macs?! lol "faster" and less useful. ok? whatever that is supposed to mean...

Back