Intel ARC Performance and Pricing Speculation

I wonder why Intel didn't work with OBS to have AV1 encode support ready for launch

So they announced the low end products april 30th. They are supposed to be available very soon. I feel a little bit lied to because I want to know about the actual mid range and high end cards.

So they announced the low end products april 30th. They are supposed to be available very soon. I feel a little bit lied to because I want to know about the actual mid range and high end cards.
Mid range in summer and high end and workstation in the end of year, unfortunately.

its probably to initially focus production capacity on the lower stuff. They said that they want to sell 4 million units this year and that the average cost would be about $75. IMO, AV1 Encoding is going to be a bigger deal this year for Intel, than having GPUs to compete with 2 year old mid-range graphics cards.

It also seems like their big cards aren't exactly ready, as well.

hopefully the drivers are decent.

I'm curious what kind of hardware accelerated raytracing is gonna be in mid/high/workstation cards. It should be better than Nvidia's since is newer product, potentially.

I'm curious what kind of hardware accelerated raytracing is gonna be in mid/high/workstation cards. It should be better than Nvidia's since is newer product, potentially.

nVidia new offering is literally going to require so much extra power. it's sounding like a minimum 400watts to 800watts JUST for the card (I think it will be in the middle there). It sounds like a new power supply will be required. However, it's supposed to be a considerable step up in performance. So *shrug* Raw power will be very heavy sided for nVidia. I have not heard that they are or aren't taped out yet. It's going to get very interesting in the near future.

Debating on getting one of these cards for my back up PC. Now that the other cards are showing up at decent prices, it's going to be a tough decision.

Debating on getting one of these cards for my back up PC. Now that the other cards are showing up at decent prices, it's going to be a tough decision.

I agree. A 4070 should be amazing for the price, but not if I have to drop an extra 200-300 for a new power supply. Power considerations are also a factor. If power prices spike, then those new nVidia cards will be spendy to keep using.

This was kicked over to me by someone on reddit. Smells like an NVIDIA negative campaign, however, there is not a lot about that, that I can point out as wrong. :( I am really starting to have some bad feelings about Intel executing on ARC, and everyone knows we very much need them in the GPU fight.

z.png

This was kicked over to me by someone on reddit. Smells like an NVIDIA negative campaign, however, there is not a lot about that, that I can point out as wrong. :( I am really starting to have some bad feelings about Intel executing on ARC, and everyone knows we very much need them in the GPU fight.

View attachment 460888

It will be cool if Intel gets in the game, for real and not like the chart above. That said, I have a Red Devil 6800Xt now so I am covered for the next 5 years. :) Also, my 3700X is bottlenecking it so I have not even released all the performance of this card.

Good luck Intel, you will need it.

Cause it is newer doesn't meant better.
No it doesn't. Intel has to prove it to stand out. Nvidia has 2nd generation of raytracing accelerated devices and AMD first generation. At least Intel's raytracing solution has to be more advanced and performant than AMD's RX6000.

I am sticking with AMD, especially with their recent success. That said, what are the chances now that Intel is actually going to produce and sell a competitive GPU for gamers? Raja Koduri fails again or am I reading to much into this?
Over a year ago I was very negative on the ARC project for desktop overall. I was still in the "ain't gonna ever happen" category. Then I started getting information and feedback from industry contacts that changed my outlook and got me very optimistic about this actually happening. This very public non-execution has gotten me very worried about about Intel's entrance into this market. I very much want us to have a third player in our current market. I am rooting for Intel with all my heart, but this latest marketing showing gives me some very bad vibes as to what is actually happening behind the scenes at Intel.

Looks like Intel is all marketing and no success in the GPU space. Who would have suspected they have the same fab/supply chain problems as the rest of the world? :sarcasm:
With all these fulfillment problems and exodus from Russia, I bet their stock is a good buy.

Gamer Meld video talking about someone who got a laptop in South Korea and tested the ARC mobile GPU in it. (not that great)

Gamer Meld video talking about someone who got a laptop in South Korea and tested the ARC mobile GPU in it. (not that great)

Definitely hints at why Intel is not showing this off with performance numbers and demonstrations. At this point I will be surprised Intel will have desktop cards available this year which AMD and Nvidia will have next generation ready and maybe shipping.

Could it be the drivers are the culprit? Can this improve on driver side?
That is what was said a couple months ago. Seems like little progress was made during that time. I have to wonder if the final release drivers will make any significant difference at this point.

Sounds like it is time to replace the 'leader' of the driver team with somebody more capable in pulling together talented software engineering.
Intel is a massive company with lots of revenue and resources.
Given the importance of this task (with regard to potential long-term revenue) major emphasis should have been placed on getting the best outcome.
It should have been achievable without the constant delays.
If...as is being reported...these cards are already built and shipping simply being held up by software and drivers, that's very bad.
The late release pushes the launch period very far into competing territory from Nvidia and AMD.
That represents massive sums of revenue lost, since potential purchasers will simply go with what they know regardless of price...if all are available at the same time.
I thought the object of this exercise was to get some form of market share in a segment they had no representation in.
The best time to do that was certainly during the 'void', when availability was non-existent and no direct competition was putting out product.
That targeted time will be all but lost if as reported, Q3 is the new release date.
I'll still take a good look at the A780 if it has good performance, drivers and is available without having to jump through hoops.
Given the competition expected, it would have to be no more than $400-500.

Last edited:
I think time will tell, But the drivers could be a primary cause of these GPU's not being up to par.
I'm thinking that as well...given the specifications of the top-tier.
It is a rather vicious catch 22.
On the one hand... Intel knows they only get one opportunity at making a good impression and have to release these cards with the best performance to price ratio possible.
On the other hand... lack of feedback from the gaming segment (due to the delayed release), means there is no wide-spread information about issues for corrective action.
That lack of a large database of reporting I'd guess, is partially responsible for the delayed timeline.

https://www.gpumag.com/intel-arc-alchemist/
Intel Arc Alchemist Release Date, Price, Performance, Specs

Just a regurgitation for the most part, looks like, as expected another delay. Maybe Intel should just cancel the desktop and move on to the next version of ARC. Unless they are really cheap and available, AMD and Nvidia will have something better to buy if Intel releases in 2023 meaning when they are actually available to buy.

Timing is everything. And now, after all the delay, missing the "shortage" boat, now AMD is going to have GPUs on most all their desktop CPUs. Again, timing is everything. Intel missed a big window of opportunity. Have a feeling Intel may have just bricked their product before delivery.

Timing is everything. And now, after all the delay, missing the "shortage" boat, now AMD is going to have GPUs on most all their desktop CPUs. Again, timing is everything. Intel missed a big window of opportunity. Have a feeling Intel may have just bricked their product before delivery.
If Intel can convince both Twitch and Youtube to accept AV1 streams-----AV1 encoding will sell these. A new laptop is now a better and more convenient (small/light) stream PC. And a relatively cheap PCI-E GPU can turn any extra desktop into a great stream PC.

If Nvidia and AMD had plans for AV1 encode in Ada Lovelace and RDNA3----they likely would have announced it by now or it would have been leaked. I think Intel will have a year headstart on AV1 Encode.

If Intel can convince both Twitch and Youtube to accept AV1 streams-----AV1 encoding will sell these. A new laptop is now a better and more convenient (small/light) stream PC. And a relatively cheap PCI-E GPU can turn any extra desktop into a great stream PC.

If Nvidia and AMD had plans for AV1 encode in Ada Lovelace and RDNA3----they likely would have announced it by now or it would have been leaked. I think Intel will have a year headstart on AV1 Encode.
Perhaps, but it would take this kind of "forced" (coercion) style to make it happen. And that's not nice. Regardless, if AV1 encoding becomes a "universal" requirement, look for the competition to support it quickly, which also means that at best, Intel has a very very short lived presence here.

Edit: Also, since nothing is released Intel wise, who knows, by time they get to market, the competition may already be there.

Perhaps, but it would take this kind of "forced" (coercion) style to make it happen. And that's not nice. Regardless, if AV1 encoding becomes a "universal" requirement, look for the competition to support it quickly, which also means that at best, Intel has a very very short lived presence here.

Edit: Also, since nothing is released Intel wise, who knows, by time they get to market, the competition may already be there.
Eh, I guess there's a miss communication.

Twitch and Youtube won't stop accepting H.264

Back