Insurgency: Sandstorm

In that videos the muzzle flashes light up the scope inside. This game looks like a faster pace warface.

Looking good so far, loved the first one except for one thing, which appears to still be there in the early footage.

Bad AI. I don't fault them entirely for it and they did a good job and the game was a BLAST for co-op but bad AI is bad AI.
This looks better but seeing a lot of the same issues carried forward, really hope they beef them up to more realistic styles before release.

bb740344a8504d1bc58ed5e1169e6243ff68dcce.jpg

From August 9 through August 13, players who have pre-ordered Insurgency: Sandstorm on Steam will receive exclusive access to Pre-order Beta 1.

This will be the first official beta test, and the first time the game will be playable at home. We're greatly looking forward to hearing what the wider Insurgency fanbase thinks and will be gathering as much feedback as possible leading up to the second Beta phase closer to the full release in September.

Available in Pre-order Beta 1 will be three maps from the final release build. Each is a complex maze of brutal interiors, deadly sniping lanes, and wide-open battlefields, each uniquely designed to make every moment of every game feel fresh.

Whether your playstyle is run and gun, slow-paced, or more specialized, you’ll find plenty to study and learn across the maps. The four game modes - Firefight, Push, Checkpoint, and Skirmish - each change the accessible part of the map, drastically altering the available strategies

Reactions: Gabe3
like this
Will give it a go. Game modes don't seem all that great to me honestly. Would prefer RO style territory and BF4 style TDM. Outside of that I don't have any interest in other game modes for online FPS games in general.

I'll have the game downloaded on my slow connection in about 2 hours 15 gig download. People are complaing about the usual stuff and always blame their hardware first.

the player animations look terrible at 9:15 and theres textures popping in during the whole video. look at the tree pop in at 9:39. I could live with these issues but the fact that his frame rate is so low has me worried. I put 300 hours into insurgency and with this game only a month from release it should be way more polished than this. at this stage the beta should be for finding rare bugs and hardware compatibility issues. I was gonna buy today but I will wait for release.

Looks awesome ;D

Almost have it downloaded
maybe I'm being too hard on it. hopefully release is going to be polished. I played the closed alpha months ago. expected them to be further along than what I played and what I see in that video. it doesn't look like theres any us servers right now. which is the same as it was in the alpha i played.

Yeah I thought it would be a little more smoother and realistic it more fun spectating then playing then again I didn't have all the settings turned up and was playing at 1440P.

I'll write more later, but I don't like any of the game modes.

The weapon recoil is terrible and feels like something out of the early 2000s. Most of the weapons shoot straight up and then slowly get pushed down when you stop shooting. Feels very unnatural.

The weapon recoil is terrible and feels like something out of the early 2000s. Most of the weapons shoot straight up and then slowly get pushed down when you stop shooting. Feels very unnatural.

How would you compare it to the original? Just curious as some of the more powerful weapons do have a fairly hefty muzzle climb. Could combat some weapons with breaks and grips.

Hard to describe, I haven't played the last game in well over a year now. Recall it being more normal. Personally I like the recoil in Rising Storm 2 Vietnam or BF4. RS2V is maybe a bit more realistic, but recoil is more natural in that it is sideways to. Sandstorm is pretty much purely upward in a straight line. And then there is a delayed downward push, like it compensates the recoil for you after the fact. Semi rapid fire in semi auto is impossible even at moderate ranges. Even with an M4 I can't double tab a target in semi auto. It also seems like few of my shots connect. I can be aiming directly at them but most of the shots miss. It isn't like RS2V where the guns are very accurate and as long as the sights are aligned they will be on target. And RS2V even accounts for zeroing and has multiple sight ranges, bullets come from the barrel, ect. So it isn't like RSV2 is simplified, if anything it is more complex. Yet recoil and zeroing seems so off in Sandstorm.

To me it is a huge problem. It may be some awkward lag issue (although my ping is often 70 or so in the test servers via match making) contributing to it. But right now, the recoil feels terrible. It is a beta so maybe they will change it, but the recoil design certainly seems to be designed this way.

Game modes are boring to me as well. Typically you spawn in waves like RO and the original Insurgency (the mod), but you have limited spawns per objective. Sometimes spawn times can be long (30+ seconds). I don't like that. Max players per team is 16 (might be 12) but the game feels small. I find that the maps are too funneled with not enough ways to get around things. Out of boundary invisible walls are a problem. It has a lot of the waiting around that round based games do and lacks the scale of something like RO/RS or BF.

Partially a matter of me not liking these game modes but they (along with the maps) could be improved. I only like territory (RO/RS) which has respawns and 1-2 (maybe 3) objectives that get pushed back when captured. Or TDM (like BF4), which has quick spawning in a open but smaller sized map. These modes feel like a mix between the first and something like Counter Strike. It seems like they're trying to water the game down to somewhat appease streamers or competitive play. Just seems like it has an identity crisis.

Not a fan of the class system either. Outside of limiting certain roles and special weapons (explosives, precision rifles) I think standard weapons should be free to choose for any class. If I want to play the Riflemen or Commander role, I want to be able to use the MK18 or Uzi respectively. Just seems like a pain and people will grab other roles to use the gun of their choice.

Also not a fan of the "point" system when it comes to weapons and accessories. Just allow us to use anything when it comes to weapon accessories. Choose an armor type per class if needed; I'd prefer if it was standardized. Secondary equipment (like grenade type, or more ammo) is okay. But I don't like having to remove a grenade or armor because I want to use a certain scope.

I do like the sounds and graphics can look good outside of the people. Interiors are fairly detailed, as are the weapons and sounds.

Thanks for the write up. I think I'm going to wait a bit on this one. I enjoyed the first game but it only cost me a couple bucks.

20180830224212_1.jpg
20180830224352_1.jpg

Game is night and day alot smoother then the first Beta actually impressed with this version. Bots didnt' have a chance until our teammates threw a grenade in the wrong direction and killed 3 of us.

Game is night and day alot smoother then the first Beta actually impressed with this version. Bots didnt' have a chance until our teammates threw a grenade in the wrong direction and killed 3 of us.
what do you mean by smoother? higher fps? what about multiplayer? have you only played co op? I still see people complaining of low fps. I wonder how long it will take them to optimize. it took pubg and squad 1.5 years on ue4

Last edited:
what do you mean by smoother? higher fps? what about multiplayer? have you only played co op? I still see people complaining of low fps. I wonder how long it will take them to optimize. it took pubg and squad 1.5 years on ue4

Beta 1 was just bad really choppy Beta 2 is smooth sailing not sure it it was network related or FPS or a combination of both.

The game is about 15% smoother now. I still get dips to 50 fps on a GTX 1070, but that was better than 40s from the first beta. Still got ways to go.

Reactions: SoFGR
like this
enjoying the game, since the beta 2 they have done 3 performance and bug fix updates. yesterdays was the biggest which I haven't played yet. like the last game, skirmish is the only mode I like. since its a little like bf conquest.

I put together some clips since I'm trying to figure out adobe premiere.

Last edited:
Can't wait to see some indoors maps this map was kinda boring a little too big.

Reactions: Gabe3
like this
I'll have to try it. Gameplay was simply not for me. I liked the mod. Retail was okay. Sandstorm, while it can be pretty, I can't get into the modes. Wish I didn't buy it because I don't see myself playing it much. RS2 Vietnam is rough around the edges but I do enjoy that occasionally (maps can vary a lot).

upgraded my R9 Fury recently, can't wait to play some rounds of skirmish :)

comes out of EA in just 1 week !!!11

" Bugfield 2002 - 2018 " R.I.P

edit : free weekend on 7/12 !

Last edited:
It looks good but when you play it it doesn't feel next gen feels like a game from 2013 Graphics wise.
Unless they totally revamped everything but I wasn't impressed.

It looks good but when you play it it doesn't feel next gen feels like a game from 2013 Graphics wise.
Unless they totally revamped everything but I wasn't impressed.
I have been enjoying it for some time now. Its my goto shooter, for the moment. New Nvidia driver address some issues. Runs smoother and they optimized the code. Could use a few more open maps instead of close building warfare.
I am glad I bought it. Cant wait to see what they do it before the beta kicks off.

Robert Jordan
Winnsboro Texas

Been torn on this for a while. Enjoyed the mod and WWII adaptation but not sure if I want to spend cash on it right now. Playing a lot of games already. Glad they are having a free weekend, need to remember to give it a shot.

upgraded my R9 Fury recently, can't wait to play some rounds of skirmish :)

comes out of EA in just 1 week !!!11

" Bugfield 2002 - 2018 " R.I.P

edit : free weekend on 7/12 !

The video reminds me a lot of COD4. Does this play like an updated version of COD4? Or does it play more like the original Insurgency? Honestly I think I’d be excited if it played more like COD4.

you're exagerating a bit, I played some rounds in PvE mode back in late october and it didn't feel like cod4 at all !
It's still Insurgency to its core, the good old 2006 HL2 total conversion we all knew and enjoyed back in the day !

btw free weekend is on

https://steamcommunity.com/games/581320/announcements/detail/1709576801693622906

ranked 5v5 - good graphics not too sim-like but not too arcade-ish either, it should be a decent "filler" for anyone that used to play lots of BF3/BF4 hardcore mode and/or BF series vets that enjoy a modern setting but cannot wait until WW3 gets more content

Last edited:
you're exagerating a bit, I played some rounds in PvE mode back in late october and it didn't feel like cod4 at all !
It's still Insurgency to its core, the good old 2006 HL2 total conversion we all knew and enjoyed back in the day !

btw free weekend is on

https://steamcommunity.com/games/581320/announcements/detail/1709576801693622906

ranked 5v5 - good graphics not too sim-like but not too arcade-ish either, it should be a decent "filler" for anyone that used to play lots of BF3/BF4 hardcore mode and/or BF series vets that enjoy a modern setting but cannot wait until WW3 gets more content
I hope the game releases with a indoor map like ministry. I havn't touched the game for 2 months but planning to play more when it officially releases next week.

I hope the game releases with a indoor map like ministry. I havn't touched the game for 2 months but planning to play more when it officially releases next week.
Yeh, loved the minstry map.... I agree, we need inside map... great idea.

Played it for a while tonight.

I don't think its quite ready for prime time though:

Glaring issue with some weapon bugs. My G36 recoil was all over the place in online play. 3 or four separate fights it felt great and normal. Then for the rest of the map the recoil would start as though I had already shot and my gun was facing upwards so all my shots missed :|

Optimization is not too bad but could use a bit more. Some hefty frame drops in areas that should be higher (indoor's with nothing to render).

The gameplay it self is great, love the environments and maps. Sound and such great just like the original with improvements. Not the best looking but the gameplay was a lot of fun and engaging for a more serious style shooter that allows you to jump in and play like an arcade would.

AI is much better than the original. Still some stupid bits but overall they were much more fun to play and when the difficulty was up made for quite a challenge if you have a team that understands their role and how to work as a unit.

The community... wow hope its just for the free weekend but I lasted all of 1 second before turning off the in game voice audio. 3 people all yelling into the MIC O_O. Par for the course but with a smaller group to play in yeesh. Lots of potential though. I hope the additional maps and modes are quick behind but optimize and squash major bugs first.

Torn on purchasing up front though even with the 20% discount.

Reactions: SoFGR
like this
Today is the official launch date Dec. 12th I think I might give it as shot later on

They must of improved stuff alot over the past few months all I know is that I suck and shouldn't be playing this game. Game looks tons better then when I last played it.
20181212112645_1.jpg
20181212112702_2.jpg

Last edited:
I played on Monday and it was much better after the update from the weekend beta, enough cleaned up to make me buy it. I enjoyed the original enough and can have fun with this even in just coop if I dont have time to keep up with the multiplayer. Cant wait for more maps and such. The performance bump from the patch was pretty noticeable in the few maps I recall having some minor issues on before. Still some work to do but not as drastic of a dip as it was.

any indoor ministry like maps with todays official release?

Not yet but they have said multiple things are in the pipeline and I believe a remake of Ministry or something similar is on the way.

Back