Insignia 4k 43" Roku + HDMI 4:4:4 (Cheap and 4:4:4)

I'm picking one up today, as my BenQ projector has to go in for some RMA service.

How do i setup 4:4:4 on a GTX 970?

Post #89 shows a pretty good picture of the settings under the Nvidia control panel. Please let us know your thoughts, and post a chroma 4:4:4 screenshot if you're able!

Was going to pick one up for testing this wkend but this seems to be just too much trouble..

About 1-2 months ago the samsung un40ju6500 was on sale for 450... that xtra 50$ well worth it... even 500$ is prob still worth it.... seems toi much trouble w this set... and we hvnt even got to the input lag test yet

Was going to pick one up for testing this wkend but this seems to be just too much trouble..

About 1-2 months ago the samsung un40ju6500 was on sale for 450... that xtra 50$ well worth it... even 500$ is prob still worth it.... seems toi much trouble w this set... and we hvnt even got to the input lag test yet

True, but I think it's a bit premature to give up on this set. It isn't even out in stores yet. We've only received a couple of screencaps so far from this site, and I haven't found much more info anywhere else. Once it starts hitting brick and mortar, I think we'll start getting more in-depth tests. I'm looking for more info before making a final decision.

Good find. Though it remains to be seen whether the Vizio E will support 4:4:4 chroma with 4k@60Hz.

My gut feeling tells me it won't seeing as the 2014 P series and the 2015 M series 4k TV's didn't support it. A real shame since the Vizio 4k TVs have the lowest input lag.

My gut feeling tells me it won't seeing as the 2014 P series and the 2015 M series 4k TV's didn't support it. A real shame since the Vizio 4k TVs have the lowest input lag.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed. The 2016 P series does support 4:4:4 chroma at 4K@60Hz (8bit color depth), but you never know what features they cut for the mid-tier line.

The JU6500 is a blurry mess. No point getting one for use as a monitor if you intend to game or watch movies on it -- static images only. I would literally get headaches within 10 minutes of starting up a FPS of any kind.

I hear the JU6700 is better, but stay away from the 6500. It's honestly horrible.

Hmm, I can't get it working @ 60hz 4k, 30hz works fine(Both 4:4:4 and RGB), is there some magic setting somewhere? is it possible the HDMI cable is just not up to snuff? I'm using the cable that came with the XB1.

Edit 1: OK got it working, had to go into the Tv settings, and switch the HDMI mode from Auto to 2.0.

On that note... along the edges of windows, there seems to be some sort of weird effect happening, Almost like I can see the subpixels, is this normal??

Edit 2: Holy crap 4K is gorgeous... this will get expensive fast... I'm sure the 970 won't cut it :X

Edit 3: Pics

8Tg2us7.jpg

YY07M9O.jpg

2zGiETS.jpg

Last edited:
A couple of problems I see:

#1 Your chroma test picture isn't valid because you're not viewing the test image on your PC at 100% scaling. It's looking like the image is zoomed to some degree...

#2 I'm totally wigging out on the arrangement of the pixels on that panel. From your pictures it looks like some kind of weird pentile type display with a really odd subpixel arrangement - like RGBGRB (could be a trick of the camera, it's not really clear), and potentially worse for text is they're staggered vertically. Man someone needs to get a really close up macro shot of the pixel arrangement.

A couple of problems I see:

#1 Your chroma test picture isn't valid because you're not viewing the test image on your PC at 100% scaling. It's looking like the image is zoomed to some degree...

#2 I'm totally wigging out on the arrangement of the pixels on that panel. From your pictures it looks like some kind of weird pentile type display with a really odd subpixel arrangement - like RGBGRB (could be a trick of the camera, it's not really clear), and potentially worse for text is they're staggered vertically. Man someone needs to get a really close up macro shot of the pixel arrangement.

the test picture is 1080p, should i just leave it @ 1/4 of the screen size and take a pic?

and yes it is bothering me a bit as well :) Sorry, all I have atm is a Note 4 and a Galaxy Cam.

Could the cable be causing some weird artifacting? like you see on the hard forum page? I mean on my 2560x1440 27", I couldn't see pixels this clearly.

Last edited:
2560x1440 @ 27" is actually more pixel dense than this set. Density of 4K at 43-50" is closer to 1080P at 27".

Yes, leave the test image 1:1 or it won't work properly.

I just did a quick calculation, 27" 1440p and 43" 4k are almost the same (108 vs 102 ppi)

Maybe it's my phone.. I can see it clearly with my eyes. Phone doesn't seem to have an easy time to resolve the colors :)

OK better picture:
YXs9XZv.jpg

Last edited:
I am not sure that last pic is any more conclusive. Is that last pic at 4K? also have anyone try to change setting to compensate for the BGR pixel?

I am not sure that last pic is any more conclusive. Is that last pic at 4K? also have anyone try to change setting to compensate for the BGR pixel?

what setting could I change ?

Sorry, I can't get the camera to focus on the bottom text at all, it is slightly more blury than the other text, however its easy to read, that being said, I'm not seeing much of a difference between 4:2:2 and 4:4:4, but I can see a huge diff between 4:2:2 and 4:2:0

Kinda sad, I had hopes for this TV but that pentile display is going to make text annoying for a lot of folks.

Kinda reminds me of the LG 43UF6430 that I had bought around Christmas and returned, it had a similar pentile type display only with an extra clear (white) subpixel which was even worse.

The end result is that video content and games should look really good on this, but text (even with 4:4:4 chroma support) is going to bother lots of people. Tweaking the Windows ClearType settings will help some since it does have some text rendering algorithms optimized for displays like this, but it will never look as good as a traditional panel with a standard RGB pixel layout.

OK, one more for good measure :p

kDn2zKt.jpg

There is some weirdness about this display, I can't put my finger on it, in black desert online , the colors almost shimmer, like the green is popping out. it is kind of annoying, lines are not as "crisp" as I thought they'd be horizontally, vertically they are, but any lines that are horizontal seem to have this weird look.

:(... how much more expensive is it to make rgb panel compared to bgr? Things would be much more straightforward .....

I don't think I can live with this thing... I might dish out the $400 more for the Samsung :X the weird colored lines are really wigging me out.

I don't think I can live with this thing... I might dish out the $400 more for the Samsung :X the weird colored lines are really wigging me out.

Thanks for posting all of the screenshot tests. My interest may also be waning if the BGR panel is producing too many artifacts. This sounds like a panel which may be better for media use, but not for use as a computer monitor. Still keeping my eye on this, but I may just wait to see the specs on the 2016 43" Vizio E monitor before buying anything. Hopefully Vizio will carry down the chroma specs from the P series to the M and E.

looks like another cheap 4K tv as monitor solution bites the dust :(. Problem is that most tv manufacturers don't think of people like us and just cater to the mass who have no idea what 4:4:4 chroma and input lag mean..... I m kinda disappointed too. Was hoping that someone would give Samsung a run for the competition. Guess things wont get much cheaper much faster ;(

looks like another cheap 4K tv as monitor solution bites the dust :(. Problem is that most tv manufacturers don't think of people like us and just cater to the mass who have no idea what 4:4:4 chroma and input lag mean..... I m kinda disappointed too. Was hoping that someone would give Samsung a run for the competition. Guess things wont get much cheaper much faster ;(

There is still hope that the new Vizio M and E series will satisfy our needs! TBD!

:(... how much more expensive is it to make rgb panel compared to bgr? Things would be much more straightforward .....

I don't think it is really more expensive at all it just depends on where they are sourced from. I picked up the Seiki SE42UGT a few months ago when it came out and it was a confirmed RGB panel. Problem with that panel was that even though the EDID information clearly shows the panel capable of 4:4:4, Seiki did not enable that in their firmware.

Sadly I had to take it back, the input lag as a monitor was great for desktop work and most gaming but I could not get used to 4:2:2 even a little. Granted it would not have worked for any FPS game but anyone looking for that would be getting something much different anyway.

I am still looking for an inexpensive 4K monitor that can do 4:4:4 with decent input lag.

I don't think it is really more expensive at all it just depends on where they are sourced from. I picked up the Seiki SE42UGT a few months ago when it came out and it was a confirmed RGB panel. Problem with that panel was that even though the EDID information clearly shows the panel capable of 4:4:4, Seiki did not enable that in their firmware.

Sadly I had to take it back, the input lag as a monitor was great for desktop work and most gaming but I could not get used to 4:2:2 even a little. Granted it would not have worked for any FPS game but anyone looking for that would be getting something much different anyway.

I am still looking for an inexpensive 4K monitor that can do 4:4:4 with decent input lag.

if it wasn't for the BGR artifacts ( after looking at the close ups, i can see the green shows up due to the 2 greens lining up next to each other), I'd keep this monitor. I can't even believe that I'm able to see the green subpixels =p

So why did they use this panel? Cost?

It honestly amazes me that these companies do not understand there is a whole segment of the market that can add several hundreds of thousands of dollars if not much much more if they would just make a few small inexpensive changes. How much could it honestly cost to improve input latency. I understand panel cost could really add up but still.

Here's another 43" for the watch list. New 2016 LG IPS model: LG 43UH6100 http://media.datatail.com/docs/specs/323231_en.pdf

Looks like it can be ordered from a few places already, including Best Buy. Wonder if LG stuck with the crappy RGBW panels for the 2016 models, or went with straight RGB.

Edit: Looks like I found the answer to my own question:

"Model series using the RGBW panels include the UH6100, UH6500 and UH7500."

LG Expands 4K Ultra HD OLED, LED LCD TV Series | HD Guru

So LG keeps claiming that the RGBW pixel layout conforms to true 4K standards, yet they use true RGB panels on their upper-tier products like the UH7700 series which was just reviewed on rtings.

Of course all of the 43" models they're introducing for 2016 are RGBW...

Last edited:
And consumers will keep rewarding these cheap LG panels bc most people are completely ignorant the deception... ;( which is how they are able to keep perpentuating these shitty panel. As long as this happen there is no increased competition to drive down true 4K 4:4:4 60hz TV price..... Kinda depressing ;(

OK, as far as this monitor goes...

4:4:4 does make a difference over 4:2:2, just not in that picture for the 4:4:4 test, however, black text on a white background easily shows a difference between the 2, so I guess 4:4:4 is working? 4:2:0 just looks terrible.

Also RGB with "hdr" range in the NV control panel seems to look the same as 4:4:4 for me.

OK, as far as this monitor goes...

4:4:4 does make a difference over 4:2:2, just not in that picture for the 4:4:4 test, however, black text on a white background easily shows a difference between the 2, so I guess 4:4:4 is working? 4:2:0 just looks terrible.

Also RGB with "hdr" range in the NV control panel seems to look the same as 4:4:4 for me.
Are you still getting that meshy look in areas that should be solid? and dashes on horizontal borders? And white dots in red text on black background that stay stationary while you move the text around slightly? Mine looked just like you're screenshots above.

Yes, that is just the panel it self, even if you launch the roku OS / App, you can see along horizontal lines the same artifacts, just less because of the colour they chose .

Games like black desert online looks terrible on this monitor. really bad, the grass blades show up all sparkly as well as any rock or gray surfaces.

Yes, that is just the panel it self, even if you launch the roku OS / App, you can see along horizontal lines the same artifacts, just less because of the colour they chose .

Games like black desert online looks terrible on this monitor. really bad, the grass blades show up all sparkly as well as any rock or gray surfaces.
You know what? I don't think this has anything to do with RGB vs BGR or 4:4:4 vs 4:2:2... looking at the closeup pixels, it seems that every 2nd or 3rd pixel is brighter. I'm thinking it has to do with the electronics that power the pixels where some get more voltage than others in an extremely consistent manner. A design flaw, or just cheaply made..

What's the latency? So is this worth getting? Seems we have a few more people trying it out

What's the latency? So is this worth getting? Seems we have a few more people trying it out

I Can't answer that for you. in World of Warships, it looks fine, but in Black Desert online, it looks like crap, at any resolution. Desktop use is fine as well if you can get over the weird horizontal lines.

I'm returning it for sure, it's not worth $600 (CAD) for me.

Also, I disagree, I think it does have to do something with the subpixel patter, since you have 2 greens to together every 4 pixels ( G B R B R G G B R B R G G) etc etc, it seems to make the green artifacts in the horizontal lines.

I'll take another picture tonight of black desert, to show what I'm talking about.

see the weird colors here...

JBImFO7.jpg

Wow...are you sure that isn't a defective panel? I can't believe that this is how this panel is supposed to look. It's really bad. Have you considered an exchange or posting a thread on the official Insignia forums?

Wow...are you sure that isn't a defective panel? I can't believe that this is how this panel is supposed to look. It's really bad. Have you considered an exchange or posting a thread on the official Insignia forums?

There was rain and a bit of lightning there, this is the only game this looks so weird in, it's just the green / purple you see on the ground, (The rest are from the lightning flashes)

Wow that looks terrible. I'm looking for a budget TV to put in the living room (50 inch) and I was considering this tv (well the 50inch model), Vizio E50-C1, or Vizio D50u-d1. (streaming tv shows and watching blurays mainly, with gaming being secondary). I had been strongly leaning toward the Insignia since the roku box is built in (I'm not the only user for simplicity is a nice bonus) but I keep hearing folks are kind of down on it. :(

Back