Insignia 4k 43" Roku + HDMI 4:4:4 (Cheap and 4:4:4)

So sounds like lag wise its average. Not horrible but not great the guy says. I'm thinking many gamers will pass it up just because of that.

I wish I can pick it up right now. I would be able to benchmark the Input lag against my crossover 324k.

I'm curious about that reviewer's comments on 1080p content.

Does 1080p content look bad when TV is running at 4K resolution? Or does 1080p content look bad when TV is at 1080p resolution?

Although 1080p scaling being ugly sounds like a bad thing, if you are running this as a PC monitor and have an HDMI 2.0 card (or the DP converter), you can just use Video card scaling for it, essentially always running at 2160p (4K).

Video card scaling is nice, I use this for 2560x1440, when I don't have the horsepower to game @ 4K.

Although 1080p scaling being ugly sounds like a bad thing, if you are running this as a PC monitor and have an HDMI 2.0 card (or the DP converter), you can just use Video card scaling for it, essentially always running at 2160p (4K).

Video card scaling is nice, I use this for 2560x1440, when I don't have the horsepower to game @ 4K.

By this, do you mean having the TV be at 4K res, but forcing the PC to run at 1440p/1080p via display settings? I guess that would use the GPU scaler instead.

By this, do you mean having the TV be at 4K res, but forcing the PC to run at 1440p/1080p via display settings? I guess that would use the GPU scaler instead.

That's correct. It does a good job of giving you a form of SuperSampling too, for free, since it's done on a 2D level.

Oh Oh, someone on AVS FORUM said it was an LG panel. I know that the last wave of LG 4k "4:4:4" panels, were actually WBRG pixel configuration, which resulted in reduced subpixel accuracy, hence not true 2160p, and definitely not real 4:4:4.

Oh Oh, someone on AVS FORUM said it was an LG panel. I know that the last wave of LG 4k "4:4:4" panels, were actually WBRG pixel configuration, which resulted in reduced subpixel accuracy, hence not true 2160p, and definitely not real 4:4:4.

LG doesn't make VA panels AFAIK.

Link by chance?

they keep moving the date back., now to march 30 in my area. Was gonna test drive one this wkend, but I guess not.... not sure if they are short supply or people just fighting left and right for it LOL ;)

they keep moving the date back., now to march 30 in my area. Was gonna test drive one this wkend, but I guess not.... not sure if they are short supply or people just fighting left and right for it LOL ;)

Same here, was supposed to be available today but now moved out to the 30th.

Mine arrived yesterday (a day early) at the store. Unfortunately, I'll be returning it soon. :( If it really is chroma 4:4:4, then it must be a RGBW screen. It looks great for Movies, but I need it as a monitor.

My laptop will only do 4k@30hz. Even so, input lag seemed fine, but I'm not using it for gaming. Just for programming and web surfing stuff. I don't know how to measure the response time.

However, the quality of text is poor. especially red or green text. Worse on white background than on black. In solid areas, you can notice a background pattern, like a fine diagonal cross hatch. Enlarging text helps a little.

Compared to my 4K Vizio D55u-D1, this one is just unacceptable. I'm almost positive the Vizio is only giving me Chroma 4:2:2 in 4k/30hz mode, as I can see a slight degradation of red and green text here, but not as bad as it should be for chroma 4:2:0. However, the Vizio is MUCH sharper than the Insignia.

I'll play around with settings some more to see if i can find anyting that improves it. i did notice that the HDMI port was set to AUTO. It had options for v1.4 and v2.0. I changed it to v2.0, but didn't see any difference.

Also, the bottom lines of the chroma test page (quick brown fox) was readable, but noticeably degraded.

Mine arrived yesterday (a day early) at the store. Unfortunately, I'll be returning it soon. :( If it really is chroma 4:4:4, then it must be a RGBW screen. It looks great for Movies, but I need it as a monitor.

My laptop will only do 4k@30hz. Even so, input lag seemed fine, but I'm not using it for gaming. Just for programming and web surfing stuff. I don't know how to measure the response time.

However, the quality of text is poor. especially red or green text. Worse on white background than on black. In solid areas, you can notice a background pattern, like a fine diagonal cross hatch. Enlarging text helps a little.

Compared to my 4K Vizio D55u-D1, this one is just unacceptable. I'm almost positive the Vizio is only giving me Chroma 4:2:2 in 4k/30hz mode, as I can see a slight degradation of red and green text here, but not as bad as it should be for chroma 4:2:0. However, the Vizio is MUCH sharper than the Insignia.

I'll play around with settings some more to see if i can find anyting that improves it. i did notice that the HDMI port was set to AUTO. It had options for v1.4 and v2.0. I changed it to v2.0, but didn't see any difference.

Also, the bottom lines of the chroma test page (quick brown fox) was readable, but noticeably degraded.

I don't think your laptop has the ability to power 4k@60Hz over HDMI. The only video cards I believe which are available which can are NVidia 900 series cards. Unless you are using a DP1.2 to HDMI2.0 adapter. Even if you were, I'm not sure if it would make a difference. Hoping that full 60Hz resolution would improve the chroma sampling.

Last edited:
The Best Buy Canada store seems to have more information about specs compared to the US site. CA site is claiming 6.5ms response time on the TV.

Insignia 43" 4K Ultra HD 60Hz LCD Smart Roku TV (NS-43DR710CA17) - Black - Only at Best Buy
6.5ms is excellent for a tv. I wonder if its true?
Note that response time usually denotes grey-to-grey pixel-transition time and not processing/input lag. From the impressions in the link above it sounds like it's 30+ ms or something otherwise noticeable.

Perfect. Unfortunate, but you've confirmed what another user on another site stated. That the panel was made by LG.

I assumed it was RGBW, since the LG 4K panels (in the "cheaper" range) are RGBW.

Thanks for your information, a lot of people will appreciate it.

I have to ask, but you tried all proper video card settings to RGB and 4:4:4 ? It sounds like you know what you're talking about, but just in case.

P.S. someone on another thread stated that AUTO didn't detect HDMI 2.0 signals, so definitely test with it manually set to HDMI 2.0.

LG makes 4K VA panels? I was not aware of this at all. I thought they only made IPS.

Is this an IPS panel?

Also, what is the issue with RGBW?

Did you force 4:4:4? Intel graphics/switchable graphics seems to have problems with 4:4:4 from my experience.

I don't think your laptop has the ability to power 4k@60Hz over HDMI. The only video cards I believe which are available which can are NVidia 900 series cards. Unless you are using a DP1.2 to HDMI2.0 adapter. Even if you were, I'm not sure if it would make a difference. Hoping that full 60Hz resolution would improve the chroma sampling.

lol.. I'm pretty sure that's what I said. My laptop only does up to 4k@30hz. But I don't see what that has to do with chroma. In 1080p at 60hz it still had degradation, just bigger. My vizio at 4k (likely 4:2:2) is sharper than this one at 1080p.

Perfect. Unfortunate, but you've confirmed what another user on another site stated. That the panel was made by LG.

I assumed it was RGBW, since the LG 4K panels (in the "cheaper" range) are RGBW.

Thanks for your information, a lot of people will appreciate it.

I have to ask, but you tried all proper video card settings to RGB and 4:4:4 ? It sounds like you know what you're talking about, but just in case.

P.S. someone on another thread stated that AUTO didn't detect HDMI 2.0 signals, so definitely test with it manually set to HDMI 2.0.
I'm not sure how to tell the laptop to force 4:4:4. in advanced, it lists a lot of different resolutions, colors bits and frequecies, but nothing about chroma sub sampling. I wasn't aware a graphics card could put out less than 4:4:4. I'm certainly not a SME on this stuff..

But there's obvisously a huge difference between the Vizio D55u-D1 and this insigna, w/o changing anything on the laptop.

I'm not sure how to tell the laptop to force 4:4:4. in advanced, it lists a lot of different resolutions, colors bits and frequecies, but nothing about chroma sub sampling. I wasn't aware a graphics card could put out less than 4:4:4. I'm certainly not a SME on this stuff..

But there's obvisously a huge difference between the Vizio D55u-D1 and this insigna, w/o changing anything on the laptop.

Can you take a photo of the 4:4:4 test and post it?

Attachments

• 20160325_083724.jpg
    20160325_083724.jpg
    282.6 KB · Views: 240
  • 20160325_082306.jpg
    20160325_082306.jpg
    181.4 KB · Views: 239

Well, that's...discouraging. If this thing can't do 4:4:4 effectively, my search for a new monitor may have to continue on. Looks like Vizio just released their new 2016 P series which has 4:4:4 verified on 4 HDMI ports, but the smallest is a 50". May have to wait to see if they carry the specs down to a smaller sized M-series.

Well, that's...discouraging. If this thing can't do 4:4:4 effectively, my search for a new monitor may have to continue on. Looks like Vizio just released their new 2016 P series which has 4:4:4 verified on 4 HDMI ports, but the smallest is a 50". May have to wait to see if they carry the specs down to a smaller sized M-series.

Any idea when the new M series will come out? I doubt they'll carry over specs like HDR and full array backlight, but it should still be 4:4:4.

Any idea when the new M series will come out? I doubt they'll carry over specs like HDR and full array backlight, but it should still be 4:4:4.

They already have the website up: SmartCast M-Series 4K UHD + HDR Home Theater Display | VIZIO

Right now it just says "Coming Soon". The 2015 M-series owners thread was started around Mid-April of last year on AVS Forum, so my best guess is that they're holding off 2-3 weeks in order to give the P-series a head start.

Edit: Just a FYI, here are the chroma specs on the 2016 P-series as relayed by a Vizio rep:

HDMI 1-4 support the following:

2160@60 4:4:4, up to 8bit per color
2160@60 4:2:2, up to 12bit per color
2160@60 4:2:0, up to 12 bit per color

HDMI 5 is a low latency (gaming) port that supports:

2160@60, 4:2:0, up to 10bit per color
1080p@120, 4:4:4, up to 10bit per color
~15ms latency in game mode

Back