India Says It'll Will Be On Mars By 2013

HardOCP News

[H] News
India claims that it will be on Mars by the end of 2013....have tech support for the planet set up soon afterwards. :D

Without a doubt, India's plan is ambitious — almost certainly overly so given that the country is still struggling with mastering manned space flight. And that doesn't even mention the fact that the Curiosity program took years to plan and execute; India would be building a Mars plan from scratch. India is putting $82 million towards the initiative, far less than the U.S. has invested in similar missions.

I assume they are just going to take advantage of their overpopulation crisis and just build a human pyramid into space?

maybe they just want to crash land a rocket onto mars and say 'there we made it'?

Isn't half the country still without power?

But, this is the kind of thing space exploration needs more of. The US is moving at a glacial pace, and it's seems that people will get to Mars by 3050 without some kind of competition.

"It'll Will Be" - starting your birthday celebration early, Steve? ;)

I assume they are just going to take advantage of their overpopulation crisis and just build a human pyramid into space?

LOL, but just because, it would take 30,624,000,000 people averaging 6 feet tall standing on the very top of each others head to reach Mars at its closest to Earth :).

Can't wait to hear that first call from a Martian to tech support...

Imagine if their Mars rover has a technical issue/mechanical problem and they have to call their tech support.

honestly I think we should use limited space exploration funds to perfect space travel instead of doing proof of concept projects like putting a man on Mars. We went to the moon, found nothing too exciting and havent been back in 40 years.

If I was the Indian government, I'd want to master clean water and sanitation as basic human rights first, maybe take a crack at traffic safety.

But hey whatever right? Better keep up with the joneses on space exploration :rolleyes:

If I was the Indian government, I'd want to master clean water and sanitation as basic human rights first, maybe take a crack at traffic safety.

But hey whatever right? Better keep up with the joneses on space exploration :rolleyes:

Dude get over it...they're gonna put up the first kwik e mart and gas station up there whether you approve or not.

honestly I think we should use limited space exploration funds to perfect space travel instead of doing proof of concept projects like putting a man on Mars. We went to the moon, found nothing too exciting and havent been back in 40 years.

That's because the Decepticons claimed it first :D:D

The launch cost them $82 million. If you tried to do water sanitation in a country of that size, it would cost trillions, this is a drop in the bucket.

The launch cost them $82 million. If you tried to do water sanitation in a country of that size, it would cost trillions, this is a drop in the bucket.

Perhaps they should stop breeding like rabbits, eh? :rolleyes:

Isn't half the country still without power?

But, this is the kind of thing space exploration needs more of. The US is moving at a glacial pace, and it's seems that people will get to Mars by 3050 without some kind of competition.

India wants to put an unmanned craft into orbit. The US already has had multiple rovers on the surface. Pretty sure were way ahead of India in this.

India wants to put an unmanned craft into orbit. The US already has had multiple rovers on the surface. Pretty sure were way ahead of India in this.

Yes, but when? Manned spaceflight is still at 1960s levels. There was the ISS in 1906, and since then...ferrying supplies and a few experiments on a budget. No one has left the earths orbit for almost 40 years. There are people in their 40s who don't remember anyone visiting another planet.

India is an 8th world overflowing toilet bowl. They can't even keep the power one much less send anything up into space. Deal with your larger, looming problems, then look towards the final frontier afterwards. Kthxdurkadurka.

India is an 8th world overflowing toilet bowl. They can't even keep the power one much less send anything up into space. Deal with your larger, looming problems, then look towards the final frontier afterwards. Kthxdurkadurka.

i think thats why they want to go to mars. they want to start with fresh water... hasnt any one told them there is no h2o on that planet, unless they send there byproducts there first.. talking about a stinky planet.

Pretty high target considering it takes about 9 months to even fly something there from the point of take-off.

That shit would have to launch in the next 7 months.

Yes, but when? Manned spaceflight is still at 1960s levels. There was the ISS in 1906, and since then...ferrying supplies and a few experiments on a budget. No one has left the earths orbit for almost 40 years. There are people in their 40s who don't remember anyone visiting another planet.

Yeah but the Curiosity rover uses a large amount of modern day tech. It has significantly more cpu power/ram/storage. It has a much more advanced lading system, which was required in order to land a rover this large and not stir up too much dust at the surface.

It's not really manned spaceflight that is at 1960's levels, its the whole propulsion and chemical rocket category that hasnt changed since then.

the most basic things human needs are water and salt and it is the cheapest in India. clean water being free and salt being about 10cent/kg.

for what is worth, they need to work on lowering corruption, as it has one of the most stable government but most corruption too.

Really the same group who had to float out their new aircraft carrier and tie it up and has to wait a few year because apparently they are incapable of producing a gear box for it with out outside help is going to send something to Mars. If you can't get a gear box right somehow I don't think rocketry is up your ally either.

Stereotypical/ethnocentric remarks aside, this will be very difficult to pull off. Most NASA projects take years of planning; the close of the launch window to mars is only a little over a year away. To take something from paper to production in such a small amount of time is hard to believe. Not saying it's impossible, but the chances are extremely slim.

Back