India Says It'll Will Be On Mars By 2013

It will be made entirely of brass and the interior of the ship will be all hand carved rosewood. :p

LOL, but just because, it would take 30,624,000,000 people averaging 6 feet tall standing on the very top of each others head to reach Mars at its closest to Earth :).

You only need enough people to get outside earth's gravity well, then you just start letting go of the folks at the top...

yea they better get to mars before me because when i get there i want my 7-11 Slurpee to be ready

India wants to put an unmanned craft into orbit. The US already has had multiple rovers on the surface. Pretty sure were way ahead of India in this.

Looks like its the russian rocket that will be launched from their launch station with a bunch of drunken local guys.

"Hi, this is George from Indiana, please format your unmanned space vehical using the supplied manufacturer's restore disk that came with your system"

The amount of ignorance, racism and prejudice here that appears to not only be tolerated but encouraged is highly disappointing. Shame on you.

With the overwhelming amount of fully trained engineers & PhD educated people India is pumping out each year, I have no doubt they will be catching up and eventually pass most countries many fields, including space research.

Look up the numbers yourselves.

The amount of ignorance, racism and prejudice here that appears to not only be tolerated but encouraged is highly disappointing. Shame on you.

That's why we should all move to Mars where there will no longer be Southern Indians and fair skinned indians and Brahmins and untouchables and etc. We will all just be martian americans

With the overwhelming amount of fully trained engineers & PhD educated people India is pumping out each year, I have no doubt they will be catching up and eventually pass most countries many fields, including space research.

A lot of those PhDs end up in the US and somewhere else overseas... I don't think many of them stay in India.

Great, now Dell will outsource what I loosely call "Technical Support" to Mars?! Fuck.

Yeah I was going to say, perhaps some of their brightest minds were persuaded to remain in India. Most of India may be backwater cesspools, but they do produce some of the brightest people in the world.

A lot of those PhDs end up in the US and somewhere else overseas... I don't think many of them stay in India.

Actually, quite a lot of them do. Education is certainly a way many people use to get out of India, but many stay in the country as well. When I was last in India I went to an IIT campus and frankly was very impressed. The rest of the country is a bit of a shithole (a functioning shithole with a lot of nice people, mind you) but the University was quite impressive even by western standards as far as being clean, well laid out, good facilities, producing good research, etc.

As far as the mission to mars is concerned, I'd still be surprised if it happens, and if it does I'd be surprised if it ever gets there. Indian work ethic can be pretty terrible with cutting corners and on such a big complicated system it could end quite badly. If they can overcome that almost culturally ingrained problem maybe it's possible.

Despite those in power not addressing the horrible conditions in their country, I wish them the best of luck in their endeavor. However, for some reason I can't help but think they will be met with failure.

Hmm, having dealt quite a bit for subcontracting I'd have to say their work ethic is actually very good; working 10-12 hours a day, 6 days a week.

Some of their internal company politics though leave a lot to be desired.

Despite those in power not addressing the horrible conditions in their country, I wish them the best of luck in their endeavor. However, for some reason I can't help but think they will be met with failure.

Horrible conditions? Clearly you've never lived in the panhandle of Florida or anyplace but Atlanta in Georgia. The conditions are basically the same there as they are in Indiana.

Okay, so India is supposedly throwing $82,000,000 into this. That would actually buy a couple of PSLVs, which at least would get whatever into orbit...but would they seriously have enough change left over for the probe and deployment device that would actually go to Mars? Or are they just sending some kid's science project made from LEGO blocks and a Tyco R/C car up there?

I think we can all agree that Tech Support isn't a race and racism can only be directed at black people.

:eek: O no he didint.

Well if it explodes on the launchpad, that's far better than England's efforts by taping a series of ladders together, and sending a chimney sweep up there.

More power to them. Someone on this planet needs to dream big or we as a race are doomed to die a slow, earthbound death.

I think we can all agree that Tech Support isn't a race and racism can only be directed at black people.

:eek: O no he didint.
Poke fun at Canadians and the French, and its all in good fun. Make fun of a country that has brown people, and you're a racist bastard. C'est la vie, as they say in French-Canada.

Mars is boring as hell. Go to Venus it would be more challenging.

A lot of proposed Mars manned missions call for a "fly by" by Venus. Opponents to that trajectory mock it as a "fry by". Venus is a pretty hostile place. Much more hostile than Mars.

I think my fellow Indians have more pressing issues at hand for their country than this, like the rampant overpopulatioin, poverty, corruption, etc? :rolleyes:

I don't think the Indians realize where Mars is. :rolleyes:

But who knows, they may have made a breakthrough, and we may have a new movie out of it...

"Rocket Fuel Green, is People" :eek::cool:

Poke fun at Canadians and the French, and its all in good fun. Make fun of a country that has brown people, and you're a racist bastard. C'est la vie, as they say in French-Canada.

Apparently, its always ok to make fun of Indians, at least here in the U.S, whenever I see Indian related tech articles like on Engadget. But the instant you make fun of African-Americans, Hispanics, etc, oh boy, SHTF!!! :confused:

Apparently, its always ok to make fun of Indians, at least here in the U.S, whenever I see Indian related tech articles like on Engadget. But the instant you make fun of African-Americans, Hispanics, etc, oh boy, SHTF!!! :confused:

blame liberal scum.

Indians live across the pond. Blacks and Hispanics can come to your house and punch you in the face. Sad but true

If I was the Indian government, I'd want to master clean water and sanitation as basic human rights first, maybe take a crack at traffic safety.

But hey whatever right? Better keep up with the joneses on space exploration :rolleyes:

Fair enough, however, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbIZU8cQWXc . What the race to the moon was for us, could be what helps them push to the next level as well on those other issues you mentioned.

Kinda two different things, wouldn't you say? Making fun of Venezuela and their space program isn't the same as hurling racial epithets at someone with Venezuelan heritage.

"Indians", as you well know, aren't a race of people. India is a country with many many races and ethnicities.

Stay grounded, people.

Are you serious? Everything said about India is 100% true. Do you deny india is a giant toilet? Do you deny that they have very little regard for themselves and their citizens? Do you deny that they've lived in a cultural system that has been mired in utter desperate and destitute poverty with no way to rectify it? Need I go on? And yet you decry ignorance, racism, and prejudice by us on how they live? Buddy, they can't even take care of themselves much less fathom how to get anything into space, but yet we are racist, bigoted, and prejudiced for calling them out on their basic, fundamental, societal problems? LOL!!!

Riiiight, because our conservative brethren would never insult anyone (except Gays, Mexicans, and God only knows how man others.. :rolleyes:)

Shh, we're not allowed to make sense on this forum. Just nod and praise jebus and be on your way.

Back