I'm torn between 49" Sony X800D and Samsung KS8000.

TV firmware is easily updatable.

If the panel itself is 120hz, i don't see why they can't implement a workaround to make it accept the signal (via the box)
They can, but why would they when they haven't done that up until now? The problem is, they likely don't even realize that people want it since the "TV as a monitor" niche is so small. There's simply no logical reason they'd enable it. The only people who've ever made TVs that accept a 120Hz signal at any resolution are Sony (and maybe two from Vizio).

They can, but why would they when they haven't done that up until now? The problem is, they likely don't even realize that people want it since the "TV as a monitor" niche is so small. There's simply no logical reason they'd enable it. The only people who've ever made TVs that accept a 120Hz signal at any resolution are Sony (and maybe two from Vizio).

I dunno. It's just seems that they invented the whole Connect Box exactly for things like this. Otherwise, why bother?

I dunno. It's just seems that they invented the whole Connect Box exactly for things like this. Otherwise, why bother?

I'm with Panel on this one. I suspect Samsung won't do anything with One Connect. Or maybe they will but I'd be surprised if they did the firmware upgrade to enable 120 Hz, if that's even possible. I'm sure they'd rather have you buy a brand new TV to get 4k@120Hz.

I'm sure they'd rather have you buy a brand new TV to get 4k@120Hz
Precisely why I'm going to hold off on going with a 4K TV. Heck, I'd be happy if they offered a 4k120 period, new model or not. Until now, I don't think they have any TVs that support 120Hz input (I am talking about ALL their TVs here, even 1080).

Precisely why I'm going to hold off on going with a 4K TV. Heck, I'd be happy if they offered a 4k120 period, new model or not. Until now, I don't think they have any TVs that support 120Hz input (I am talking about ALL their TVs here, even 1080).
Man, they are so cheap right now, you could grab one today and then get a newer one when they come out. You'd want to wait a some time on the new one anyway till they come down at price - buying right at the release is costly.

So no reason not to grab one today and enjoy it.

Man, they are so cheap right now, you could grab one today and then get a newer one when they come out. You'd want to wait a some time on the new one anyway till they come down at price - buying right at the release is costly.

So no reason not to grab one today and enjoy it.
Any suggestions? I was going the route of spending a ton of money on a 6 monitor system, but making sure its future proof for at least a good 5 years. Is just buying a TV and then flipping it less then a year later a better route to go?

Is just buying a TV and then flipping it less then a year later a better route to go?
I think so. That's what I intend to do anyway.

There is no chance in hell you can future-proof a TV for 5 years. nowadays, they are coming out with new and awesome stuff every year.

So I decided to go the TV route again and picked up an X800D last night. I tried this last year with the Samsung 2015 models but couldn't find any I was happy with and ended up getting the Acer XB321HK. I loved the Acer except for one problem. It suffers from intermittent artifact flickering that affects ALL monitors that use the same AUO panel. Acer refused to acknowledge the problem and for a monitor that cost $1299 I just couldn't take it. Amazingly, I was able to get a refund from them on based on another issue. They falsely advertised the monitor as 10-bit on their website when it was released. Due to the G-sync module it's not capable of 10-bit color so I was able to negotiate a refund based on that. They quickly discontinued the XB321HK late last year also.

The X800D looks great but I'm having trouble adjusting to a non G-Sync display again. If you're locked in at 60 fps on the X800D everything is wonderfully smooth. The problem comes when you start dipping down below 60.. stutter stutter stutter. This is when you realize that G-Sync is pretty awesome. It keeps things smooth down to 30 fps.

UGH.. Why can't we just have it all? G-Sync, High-end VA panel, 40+ inch screen size, 120HZ...

UGH.. Why can't we just have it all? G-Sync, High-end VA panel, 40+ inch screen size, 120HZ...
I believe we will, someday. As for the NEAR future though, I think a lot of these requirements might be fulfilled when AMD releases Freesync for TVs (they've hinted at this massively). Of course, 120Hz VA panels larger than 40" already exist, so the addition of Freesync as and HDMI feature might just give us the complete set. Personally, I'd like for TV manufacturers to try and add superior color accuracy to the mix, but that may be a bit harder to do.
980 Ti SLI. Fact is some games are just impossible to maintain a constant 60 fps with today's GPU's.
When Nvidia releases their 1080Ti,a butt load of people will sell their 1080 on Ebay all at once, likely for much cheaper then you may think. Grab two of those puppies and SLI em'.

[QUOTE="

When Nvidia releases their 1080Ti,a butt load of people will sell their 1080 on Ebay all at once, likely for much cheaper then you may think. Grab two of those puppies and SLI em'.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I remember when the bit coin people were dropping the 290x GPUs. People picked them up for a bargain. If AMD gets into a pricing war with their next GPU it could help lower prices on the nVidia side as well. Maybe.

I can completely understand what you're saying about the HDR. It's a feature that'll likely come in handy in the near future.

However, I think you misunderstood what I said about 4:4:4 Chroma. It's good for icons and text, yes. But you're not looking at any icons or text when gaming. So simply turn 4:4:4 off when gaming and turn HDR on. Simple. And then turn HDR off and 4:4:4 on when you exit the game and go back into your main desktop. You can't use them at the same time, but do you really need to?

Games do have text in them though. Chat windows, text that you just did something or got something, and etc., Would that have any effect?

Games do have text in them though. Chat windows, text that you just did something or got something, and etc., Would that have any effect?
I thought of this, but I'm unsure just how bad text looks without 4:4:4 Chroma. I'd assume it's not that bad, and that it's okay to put up with some less than ideal chat text in exchange for superior HDR, but I'm not really sure.

Man, i'm not sure why you want the IPS panel with all their problems like bleed, etc (altho i read that you got a prettygood one), but the colors on that Samsung are unbelievable. Also true 10-bit and 1000 nits HDR.

I wanted to get Sony too (don't know why) but none were available locally and when i saw the KS8000 in the store i nearly came on the spot how good it looked.

I don't want to sounds like an asshole and make you feel buyers remorse, but i'm glad as fuck that i got this Samsung. Gonna swap for the curved version tomorrow, because at this size it's a feature that you definitely would want.

Best thing is if you for some reason get tired of using it as a PC monitor, you can hang it in some other room and have a kickass 4k HDR TV.

IPS is considered the best type of panel for photo editing which I do a lot of, that's why I wanted an IPS, I've seen the KS8000 in person as well, every time I went into Best Buy pretty much, it was a nice TV. Don't worry no buyer's remorse, I didn't even want to spend $790 let alone $1150 (probably would have ended up w/ curved one) lol.

I thought of this, but I'm unsure just how bad text looks without 4:4:4 Chroma. I'd assume it's not that bad, and that it's okay to put up with some less than ideal chat text in exchange for superior HDR, but I'm not really sure.
Games don't need 4:4:4. Just like console games.

Reactions: Panel
like this
I picked up the 43" Australian version of this and I'm happy with it for the price I paid. Skipped over the Samsung since I didn't want to deal with PWM issues despite the lower input latency. I've still got my dell s2716dg for multiplayer fps games etc but for single player stuff this tv is great.

I picked up the 43" Australian version of this and I'm happy with it for the price I paid. Skipped over the Samsung since I didn't want to deal with PWM issues despite the lower input latency. I've still got my dell s2716dg for multiplayer fps games etc but for single player stuff this tv is great.
I was considering getting 3 (or even 6) S2716DGs for gaming, but backed out when seeing just how bad the price to performance ratio was compared to 4K TVs. I'm not too heavy on FPS, period, so any TV with decent input lag should fulfill my needs. Of course, the lower the better nonetheless.

I'm not too heavy on FPS, period, so any TV with decent input lag should fulfill my needs.

Anything fast twitch you will notice the very minor delay, it can't be helped with ~30-34ms input lag (according to rtings). But everything else I find acceptable in game mode.

Not sure why people don't like to play MP games on an HDTV. I have no issues destroying people in FPS on my 49KS8000.

Anything fast twitch you will notice the very minor delay, it can't be helped with ~30-34ms input lag (according to rtings). But everything else I find acceptable in game mode.
Anything under 40ms is acceptable unless you are in the MLG. RTNGS.com seems to agree with me. The difference between 15-35ms is VERY minor. 15ms is what IPS monitors usually sit around.

Last edited:
Anything under 40ms is acceptable unless you are in the MLG. RTNGS.com seems to agree with me.

Some people are more sensitive to the difference than others (myself included) and if you are after top class input latency of less than 10ms it will not be found here, or on any other UHD 40" monitor/TV at the moment. Hence why I have my dell sitting next to it and I go between the two. I have no regrets in purchasing the screen though since I went into it knowing full well that I would still be using my 144hz 27" TN panel for overwatch, cs etc.

Some people are more sensitive to the difference than others (myself included) and if you are after top class input latency of less than 10ms it will not be found here, or on any other UHD 40" monitor/TV at the moment. Hence why I have my dell sitting next to it and I go between the two. I have no regrets in purchasing the screen though since I went into it knowing full well that I would still be using my 144hz 27" TN panel for overwatch, cs etc.
You said it yourself. Very "minor" delay.

Anyway let's not turn this into a circular off topic argument ;). The 43" is a very nice monitor for the AUD$799 I paid for it during our end of year sales. Sadly they do not sell the 49" KS8000 in AUS (only 55" and above) otherwise I may have been tempted to shell out more for the better HDR etc.

Anyway let's not turn this into a circular off topic argument ;). The 43" is a very nice monitor for the AUD$799 I paid for it during our end of year sales. Sadly they do not sell the 49" KS8000 in AUS (only 55" and above) otherwise I may have been tempted to shell out more for the better HDR etc.
LOL. You're upset about them not having a 49" version with a 43" sitting on your desk. Meanwhile I'm upset that they don't have the 43KS7500, which is a 43" curved KS8000, in the US. Would trade our 49" options for one of those any day.

49ks8000 for $675 via Samsung EPP. Ask for an invite.
Thanks for telling me! Is there any way this could apply to the KS8500?? (Just a curved version of the 8000, but the curve is pretty much necessary)

That's what they told me in the store today. They wouldn't give me 100% probability on this, but said that it was quite likely. This company move to "connect box' was made specifically for such cases, so that people wouldn't need to buy a whole new TV, just swap the connect box.

Anyway, i got 49KS8000 today and it's pretty fuckin sweet. I'm a bit overwhelmed by the size right now but think i'll get used to it. If you decide to go for it - definitely grab the curved version (8500). When you are sitting this close you definitely need the curve, otherwise you get the opposite effect - the middle of the screen bulges out at you and the sides go away from you. Also there is a bit of color distortion since the screen is flat and your eyes can't look straight at them (you end up looking at an angle). I'm gonna swap mine for the curved one tomorrow.

Is there a way to get the computer sound through the tv speakers?

Back