I'm torn between 49" Sony X800D and Samsung KS8000.

That's the problem. I though that they would look bigger on a bigger screen.

There's not point for me in getting a big TV if the icons/text are gonna look same size like on an 34" monitor. I'd still need to squint and strain my eyes.

I completely don't get how all that resolution/size/dpi shit works.
The size of the icons will look bigger or smaller depending on one thing and one thing ONLY: Pixel Density. Some people on this site refer to this number as "PPI", or pixels per inch. This can easily be calculated using the resolution and size of a display. People often use the website www.sven.de/dpi/ to do the calculations for them.

Using this site, we can see that your 34" Asus has a pixel density of 109.68 PPI.
We can also see that the 49" Sony TV has a pixel density of 89.91 PPI.

This means that icons on the TV will indeed look larger than those of you monitor, though not by much. They'll look about as large as ions on a 24" 1080p monitor.

Hope this helps!

I'm extremely glad to hear that all is working right! I'm going to hold out until mid-2017 to buy a TV, since I'm hoping that Sony will have something just like this, but with HDMI 2.1 and 120Hz as well. Also, I know that this particular screen is IPS, so can you comment on the backlight bleed? Is it noticeable? And can you post a picture of a black background in a dark room?

I'll try and take a photo in a little while, I'll just turn on my screensaver for the photo (blank screen) if that will suffice, I don't think there's much backlight bleed maybe a little but I was expecting to possibly have worse problems based on some other feedback I've seen from a person or two on forums / amazon reviews, mine seems to be pretty damn nice compared to their luck lol.

Here you go, blank screen (screen saver preview) in a very dark room, all you can really see is the power light and power strip under my desk, you can tell it's on though. Let me know if you have a request for a different type of shot, I don't mind when I get around to it.

Attachments

• _DSC2220.jpg
    _DSC2220.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 68
It's hard to judge these things with a photo, not everyone uses a camera the same way but my photo was taken with a very nice Sony A7Rii and Zeiss lens and I processed the RAW file as closely to real life as I think it looks based on being here, I've seen other people post photos like this that looked like a dumpster fire. :)

It's not huge if you just look at it differently.

It's a 4 x 1080p display without bezels. It certainly sets the same distance as 4 x 4 grid of monitors would sit.

It's not huge if you just look at it differently.

It's a 4 x 1080p display without bezels. It certainly sets the same distance as 4 x 4 grid of monitors would sit.

That's how I tried to justify it to my fiance, she gave me a hard time about it over and over but I think she's starting realize it's usability... I have also said the same thing, one of my friends made a remark about sitting so close to it and I told them that it was no different than a triple of quad monitor setup minus the bezels exactly how you said... the lack of bezels makes it a whole lot nicer imo, multiple screens can have an advantage when you can tilt / angle them toward you but I'm totally happy with what I ended up with here, I'm also glad I didn't go with 43" now because I think everything is just right... It's like watching a Tennis match if I want to play a game while sitting at my desk but other than that...

I can't really imagine having 4K resolution on a 28-32" screen now... I wouldn't like that much.

Here you go, blank screen (screen saver preview) in a very dark room, all you can really see is the power light and power strip under my desk, you can tell it's on though. Let me know if you have a request for a different type of shot, I don't mind when I get around to it.
That is some fantastic light bleed (or rather, lack there of)! It's a solid display for sure. I've considered doing a multi monitor setup with 4-6 screens, but bezels usually convince me otherwise. Who knows though... I AM holding off for another 5 months, so we'll see what works best then.

I'm afraid that's not valid because the backlight turns off if you display all-black.

I found the settings to adjust the picture size and position but all of the options are disabled when the input is in use so that's kind of silly, I guess I'd probably need to turn off my PC or put it to sleep so there's no signal but that'll make it kind of tricky to adjust for the overscan I would imagine, I think I just need to decrease the height about 10 pixels or less, i'd just nudge it down a little but then the bottom would be affected, only other complaint I can see so far is that Google Chrome's scrollbars have become wider for some reason and overlap text, also when I look at facebook notifications I cannot click the x to mark them as read because the scrollbar is overlapping but I know that's something I can adjust, I do find it strange that things like that were affected though... overall I'm very pleased, 4K & HDR content look beautiful too, even just streaming but I bet physical media would be even better, I'm not sure if its a realistic expectation but I might try gaming too yet I don't think a single GTX1070 is going to give much 4K performance so I'm wondering if I can do something like 2560x1440'ish on this TV or if that won't display properly.

Pretty damn happy though, my eyes feel a little strained is all.
You can't get 4:4:4 Chroma, HDR and 4K/60Hz with PC usage though. How did you test HDR exactly?

You can't get 4:4:4 Chroma, HDR and 4K/60Hz with PC usage though. How did you test HDR exactly?

I never claimed to get HDR with PC use, I was watching Marco Polo on Netflix (with the TVs Netflix app), I assume it was in HDR anyway. Why is what you say true though, I never even considered that to be honest nor do I really care, what about PC use disallows this?

Last edited:
I also just tried watching Marco Polo from my browser while using the PC input, what a difference... looked so much better in the app, for some reason while using my web browser it doesn't even recognize the display as 4K, wonder if there's a workaround for that. (not that I care, I use the app anyway... mind blowing night and day difference though between HD and 4K I must say.)

I also just tried watching Marco Polo from my browser while using the PC input, what a difference... looked so much better in the app, for some reason while using my web browser it doesn't even recognize the display as 4K, wonder if there's a workaround for that. (not that I care, I use the app anyway... mind blowing night and day difference though between HD and 4K I must say.)
Yeah, nowadays those streaming apps just tend to do a lot better. I guess they're better optimized.

I never claimed to get HDR with PC use, I was watching Marco Polo on Netflix (with the TVs Netflix app), I assume it was in HDR anyway. Why is what you say true though, I never even considered that to be honest nor do I really care, what about PC use disallows this?
Stupid HDMI 2.0 limitation. Same reason you can't go 4:4:4 4K/60Hz 10-bit. Only 8-bit. Not enough bandwidth. HDMI 2.1 is on its way which would allow for more bandwidth but might be a hardware upgrade and not software.

Stupid HDMI 2.0 limitation. Same reason you can't go 4:4:4 4K/60Hz 10-bit. Only 8-bit. Not enough bandwidth. HDMI 2.1 is on its way which would allow for more bandwidth but might be a hardware upgrade and not software.
Wait, so there's a chance it's just a software update? Really? I thought for sure that we'd need new displays with new ports. If it really ends up being software, then we'll likely be able to upgrade our current 120Hz Sony's to 120Hz 4K without having to change the TV itself. Wonderful!

Wait, so there's a chance it's just a software update? Really? I thought for sure that we'd need new displays with new ports. If it really ends up being software, then we'll likely be able to upgrade our current 120Hz Sony's to 120Hz 4K without having to change the TV itself. Wonderful!
Highly doubtful we'd get 4K 120Hz. They'll save that for the new HDTV's for sure. All I want is 10-bit 4K/60Hz with 4:4:4 + HDR. Being stuck at 8-bit means no HDR since it needs 10-bit to work. This doesn't matter for consoles but I'm a PC gamer.

Last edited:

That sucks, if it ended up being a software update that would be pretty awesome but I can live without it, I'm not a huge gamer really.

That being said... I just installed DOOM and I have been playing it @ 4K with all of the settings maxed out and it's pretty damn awesome, I didn't think games were supposed to run at 4K / Ultra settings so smoothly on a single card setup but maybe DOOM is just an easy game for hardware, looks pretty beautiful though but like I said I don't play a lot of games so I haven't tried many recent titles, all the stuff I read had me convinced I'd need an SLI setup or something to really enjoy stuff at this resolution and that's obviously not true at least with this game in particular, I'm going to try some others though I'm sure I'll find one that humbles my hardware, based on benchmarks I've looked at Crysis 3 looks like it could be one?

I'm on an i7 6700K, 16GB G.Skil Tridentz, GTX 1070 and a Gigabyte G1 motherboard and it's butter with every setting as high as I can possibly put it, quite happy... I might end up gaming again after all.

Highly doubtful we'd get 4K 120Hz. They'll save that for the new HDTV's for sure. All I want is 10-bit 4K/60Hz with 4:4:4 + HDR. Being stuck at 8-bit means no HDR since it needs 10-bit to work. This doesn't matter for consoles but I'm a PC gamer.
You're probably right about them holding off... if they're even aware that 120Hz at 4K is something they can advertise and market off of, whch they're almost certainly not. It's a niche thing that only the handful of people that use their TVs as monitors will care about, so I'm still gonna dream that it'll slip by in a software update (this is all IF HDMI 2.1 is a software update at all, of course). :(

About your situation though... I don't think it really matters. For two reasons. First of all, HDR gaming on the PC looks to be a thing of the future. Yes, I know we saw an HDR monitor at CES, but there's still only (I think) 2 games that support it. I was dead set on HDR for my next monitor, until I realized that my monitor might need replacing again by the time HDR on PC is a big thing. If you still want it, or already have it, here's another thing you're overlooking: You don't really NEED Chroma 4:4:4 when gaming in HDR. After all, it's only there to make test look better, so you'll only need it in a handful of games. Similarly, when working with text in windows, you don't really NEED the HDR. I put emphasis on "need" because I understand that we all want this, but want to point out that it's not too big a loss if we don't get it. Let me know what you think of this.

That sucks, if it ended up being a software update that would be pretty awesome but I can live without it, I'm not a huge gamer really.

That being said... I just installed DOOM and I have been playing it @ 4K with all of the settings maxed out and it's pretty damn awesome, I didn't think games were supposed to run at 4K / Ultra settings so smoothly on a single card setup but maybe DOOM is just an easy game for hardware, looks pretty beautiful though but like I said I don't play a lot of games so I haven't tried many recent titles, all the stuff I read had me convinced I'd need an SLI setup or something to really enjoy stuff at this resolution and that's obviously not true at least with this game in particular, I'm going to try some others though I'm sure I'll find one that humbles my hardware, based on benchmarks I've looked at Crysis 3 looks like it could be one?

I'm on an i7 6700K, 16GB G.Skil Tridentz, GTX 1070 and a Gigabyte G1 motherboard and it's butter with every setting as high as I can possibly put it, quite happy... I might end up gaming again after all.
Awesome! I must admit that I'd surprised at how well DOOM is running on a 1070 at 4K. I'm not an expert on how much muscle the game takes to run, but I would have thought it would be more than a 1070 lol. Still, glad you're enjoying the setup. Crisis 3 is a demanding game indeed (ironic, seeing how long ago it was released), so give it whirl and see how well your system hold out. If you wanna get a lot of performance, adding another 1070 for as cheap as you can find it may not be a bad idea, and it'll help you max out a lot more stuff (including some newer releases, I'd like to bet).

Awesome! I must admit that I'd surprised at how well DOOM is running on a 1070 at 4K. I'm not an expert on how much muscle the game takes to run, but I would have thought it would be more than a 1070 lol. Still, glad you're enjoying the setup. Crisis 3 is a demanding game indeed (ironic, seeing how long ago it was released), so give it whirl and see how well your system hold out. If you wanna get a lot of performance, adding another 1070 for as cheap as you can find it may not be a bad idea, and it'll help you max out a lot more stuff (including some newer releases, I'd like to bet).

Yeah I would imagine an 1070 SLI setup would be pretty damn awesome, I played DOOM for about an hour or so and it was quite enjoyable, I thought for sure I was going to need to play at 2560x1440 or something though, other games that might be the case.

Have the 2017 models been announced or are you just assuming that?
We are indeed assuming that, but HDMI 2.1 is confirmed to be released in 2017. It seems very, very unlikely that bleeding-edge TVs will use an old HDMI standard, especially on flagship models.

Have the 2017 models been announced or are you just assuming that?
Most 2017 TV'S are already in production and HDMI 2.1 won't be finalized until around April. This means that very little if any 2017 TV's will have it unless it's a simple firmware update. You'll see most TV's in 2018 with 2.1.

Most 2017 TV'S are already in production and HDMI 2.1 won't be finalized until around April. This means that very little if any 2017 TV's will have it unless it's a simple firmware update. You'll see most TV's in 2018 with 2.1.
Yeah that makes sense. I guess they can't just implement a new tech so fast. There's all kinds of hoops they need to jump through to finally deliver a decent product, and that takes time.

You're probably right about them holding off... if they're even aware that 120Hz at 4K is something they can advertise and market off of, whch they're almost certainly not. It's a niche thing that only the handful of people that use their TVs as monitors will care about, so I'm still gonna dream that it'll slip by in a software update (this is all IF HDMI 2.1 is a software update at all, of course). :(

About your situation though... I don't think it really matters. For two reasons. First of all, HDR gaming on the PC looks to be a thing of the future. Yes, I know we saw an HDR monitor at CES, but there's still only (I think) 2 games that support it. I was dead set on HDR for my next monitor, until I realized that my monitor might need replacing again by the time HDR on PC is a big thing. If you still want it, or already have it, here's another thing you're overlooking: You don't really NEED Chroma 4:4:4 when gaming in HDR. After all, it's only there to make test look better, so you'll only need it in a handful of games. Similarly, when working with text in windows, you don't really NEED the HDR. I put emphasis on "need" because I understand that we all want this, but want to point out that it's not too big a loss if we don't get it. Let me know what you think of this.
It matters to me because games are coming out in the near future that will utilize HDR. Games like the new Mass Effect which should be amazing. I'm sure more titles will be patched for HDR support this year as well.

In regards to 4:4:4, if you switch back and fourth between chroma and non-chroma, you can tell that the text and icons in Windows is sharper/clearer. Although I recently found out that if I choose YCbCr444 in Nvidia control panel that the image is very similar to 4:4:4 chroma.

Last edited:
It matters to me because games are coming out in the near future that will utilize HDR. Games like the new Mass Effect which should be amazing. I'm sure more titles will be patched for HDR support this year as well.

In regards to 4:4:4, if you switch back and fourth between chroma and non-chroma, you can tell that the text and icons in Windows is sharper/clearer. Although I recently found out that if I choose YCbCr444 in Nvidia control panel that the image is very similar to 4:4:4 chroma.
I can completely understand what you're saying about the HDR. It's a feature that'll likely come in handy in the near future.

However, I think you misunderstood what I said about 4:4:4 Chroma. It's good for icons and text, yes. But you're not looking at any icons or text when gaming. So simply turn 4:4:4 off when gaming and turn HDR on. Simple. And then turn HDR off and 4:4:4 on when you exit the game and go back into your main desktop. You can't use them at the same time, but do you really need to?

I can completely understand what you're saying about the HDR. It's a feature that'll likely come in handy in the near future.

However, I think you misunderstood what I said about 4:4:4 Chroma. It's good for icons and text, yes. But you're not looking at any icons or text when gaming. So simply turn 4:4:4 off when gaming and turn HDR on. Simple. And then turn HDR off and 4:4:4 on when you exit the game and go back into your main desktop. You can't use them at the same time, but do you really need to?
It's a hassle to go back and fourth from 4:4:4 to non-chroma so I settled on YCbCr444. Pretty much gives me sharp icons/text just like 4:4:4 and the image looks pretty much identical to PC Mode. I'm also able to activate Game Mode which drops input lag to 20ms. Pretty sure I'll be able to enable HDR in the new Mass Effect as well.

I'm in the same boat as the OP and considering the 43-inch Sony X800D and Samsung 49-inch KS8000. One thing that is making me lean toward the Samsung is the One Connect Box. Shouldn't we be able to simply upgrade our One Connect boxes once they release one with HDMI 2.1 and then be able to do 4k@120hz ????

I'm in the same boat as the OP and considering the 43-inch Sony X800D and Samsung 49-inch KS8000. One thing that is making me lean toward the Samsung is the One Connect Box. Shouldn't we be able to simply upgrade our One Connect boxes once they release one with HDMI 2.1 and then be able to do 4k@120hz ????

I really like the Sony but I know the Samsung is a little pricier and probably a better TV for some uses, I wanted an IPS panel so I had no choice but to go with the Sony (only the 49" has one though)... probably would have loved any of them, a curve might have been nice if I went KS8500 too.

So I have noticed the 4K HDR is lovely through Netflix but I tried watching an episode of Sneaky Pete on Amazon Prime 4K HDR as well and it would randomly brighten and darken the entire picture almost like a light dimmer, I haven't tried updating the app or anything since unboxing the TV but that's pretty annoying, it stops if I disable HDR obviously but that's my only annoyance so far, has to be an issue with Amazon's app or stream as the TV works great w/ Netflix using the same form of content. When it gets brighter the black levels sort of get that "matte" look, similar to how I like to edit some of my photography so it's not even legit anyway, should be deep blacks with detail not crushed blacks to brighten the overall image -- Will try updating the app, just curious if there have been reports of anyone else having silly issues like this with Amazon Prime 4K HDR video? I did not try any of the other shows, could have even been Sneaky Pete maybe...

At least it's not the TV or I'd be experiencing it when I watch Netflix, it was annoying to the point that I wouldn't watch it that way without being driven nuts although the overall picture was nice but that was very distracting.

Whoa, I just noticed a weird feature (well maybe not weird for TV use) on this TV where it dims the screen when the light goes lower in the room and brightens it when it gets brighter, only reason I finally noticed it was because I had a lamp over my keyboard (never buy a solar powered keyboard, so annoying but it was a gift so I use it lol) Sometimes it dies and I need to use it so I'll tilt a lamp over it with a reflector to keep it charging during use, going a wired one though soon. I really liked the Corsair I got one of my sons for Christmas too, those big bulky mechanical keys are nice and bring me back in time a bit. I'm definitely going to disable this feature, never noticed it.

I do admit it's pretty slick though, just not good for my use.

That's what they told me in the store today. They wouldn't give me 100% probability on this, but said that it was quite likely. This company move to "connect box' was made specifically for such cases, so that people wouldn't need to buy a whole new TV, just swap the connect box.

Anyway, i got 49KS8000 today and it's pretty fuckin sweet. I'm a bit overwhelmed by the size right now but think i'll get used to it. If you decide to go for it - definitely grab the curved version (8500). When you are sitting this close you definitely need the curve, otherwise you get the opposite effect - the middle of the screen bulges out at you and the sides go away from you. Also there is a bit of color distortion since the screen is flat and your eyes can't look straight at them (you end up looking at an angle). I'm gonna swap mine for the curved one tomorrow.

Last edited:
I really like the Sony but I know the Samsung is a little pricier and probably a better TV for some uses, I wanted an IPS panel so I had no choice but to go with the Sony (only the 49" has one though)... probably would have loved any of them, a curve might have been nice if I went KS8500 too.
Man, i'm not sure why you want the IPS panel with all their problems like bleed, etc (altho i read that you got a prettygood one), but the colors on that Samsung are unbelievable. Also true 10-bit and 1000 nits HDR.

I wanted to get Sony too (don't know why) but none were available locally and when i saw the KS8000 in the store i nearly came on the spot how good it looked.

I don't want to sounds like an asshole and make you feel buyers remorse, but i'm glad as fuck that i got this Samsung. Gonna swap for the curved version tomorrow, because at this size it's a feature that you definitely would want.

Best thing is if you for some reason get tired of using it as a PC monitor, you can hang it in some other room and have a kickass 4k HDR TV.

Last edited:
I thought about this for a while, but there's a problem. I don't think the connect box will make a difference, because HDMI 2.1 won't make a difference. What I mean by this is that the KS8500 doesn't accept ANY 120Hz input. Even at 1080p, despite the fact that it should. This makes me think that it won't accept 120Hz 4K either, even when we have the bandwidth.

So for our purposes, the One Connect box would be pointless. We'd be able to plug in a 120Hz signal, but it wouldn't do any good since the TV firmware would simply reject it.

That's what they told me in the store today. They wouldn't give me 100% probability on this, but said that it was quite likely. This company move to "connect box' was made specifically for such cases, so that people wouldn't need to buy a whole new TV, just swap the connect box.

Anyway, i got 49KS8000 today and it's pretty fuckin sweet. I'm a bit overwhelmed by the size right now but think i'll get used to it. If you decide to go for it - definitely grab the curved version (8500). When you are sitting this close you definitely need the curve, otherwise you get the opposite effect - the middle of the screen bulges out at you and the sides go away from you. Also there is a bit of color distortion since the screen is flat and your eyes can't look straight at them (you end up looking at an angle). I'm gonna swap mine for the curved one tomorrow.

I think I've settled on giving the KS8000 or 8500 a try. I'm just not sure its worth a $200 premium for the curve. Also concerned about PWM flicker with the Samsung but I'll have to see how it goes.

I thought about this for a while, but there's a problem. I don't think the connect box will make a difference, because HDMI 2.1 won't make a difference. What I mean by this is that the KS8500 doesn't accept ANY 120Hz input. Even at 1080p, despite the fact that it should. This makes me think that it won't accept 120Hz 4K either, even when we have the bandwidth.

So for our purposes, the One Connect box would be pointless. We'd be able to plug in a 120Hz signal, but it wouldn't do any good since the TV firmware would simply reject it.

That's a good point and one thing I'm afraid of. We'd be at the mercy of Samsung providing us with a firmware update to enable the 120hz even if we could get an updated One-Connect. Probably won't see that until 2018 at which point our 2016 models won't be getting to many firmware updates anymore... ugh..

Back