Im stuck with Freesync and it sucks....suggestions?

I upgraded my monitor not long ago to the BenQ xl2430t and rocking an ancient ASUS 4970 (R9 280X equivalent I believe) and I want a GTX 1070 so bad. Even though I am stuck with freesync im tempted to still just bite the bullet.

Ive done so much research and nothing comes close to the 1070 unless you crossfire two RX 480's which I am definitely not doing.

Am I fresh out of options? The R9 Fury X is waaay more than the 1070 and still isnt even as powerful. I hate the common consensus of "just wait until Q4" or "wait until vega comes" which there is no release date for.

Am I screwed I really want to upgrade and the GTX 1070 seems like such a kick ass card light years better in price and performance than what AMD is offering.

Suggestions?

I upgraded my monitor not long ago to the BenQ xl2430t and rocking an ancient ASUS 4970 (R9 280X equivalent I believe) and I want a GTX 1070 so bad. Even though I am stuck with freesync im tempted to still just bite the bullet.

Ive done so much research and nothing comes close to the 1070 unless you crossfire two RX 480's which I am definitely not doing.

Am I fresh out of options? The R9 Fury X is waaay more than the 1070 and still isnt even as powerful. I hate the common consensus of "just wait until Q4" or "wait until vega comes" which there is no release date for.

Am I screwed I really want to upgrade and the GTX 1070 seems like such a kick ass card light years better in price and performance than what AMD is offering.

Suggestions?

Sell the monitor on Craigslist and get the new GTX 1070 + GSYNC monitor that you seek. Next time plan out purchases a little better; be less impulsive. ;)

Hadn't really thought about that before. You can actually limit your performance ceiling by going with Freesync with AMDs's current strategy to target the cheap end of the market first.

Best bet right now is to suck it up and keep the monitor (losing VRR support) or go gsync.

That was exactly my thoughts. Why buy the monitor when your GPU doesn't support it? Wait until you can upgrade BOTH so you don't wall yourself into the wrong product line.

That was exactly my thoughts. Why buy the monitor when your GPU doesn't support it? Wait until you can upgrade BOTH so you don't wall yourself into the wrong product line.

I guess, like myself, he assumed AMD would have something better than the 480 out. I am also stuck with a Freesync monitor attached to a 970 I got in trade to use as a holdover. I may just get an AIB 480 for now so I can at least use the Freesync.

Kinda why I'm not a big fan of G-Sync or FreeSync. Means you're stuck with a particular brand til to change monitors again. Yeah Nvidia is a safer bet but but I still don't like being tied down to one brand. I upgrade GPU's every couple years but upgrade monitors around 4 or 5 years.

As for the OP, you could always wait til the 490 or whatever they're calling it comes out. Hopefully it'll be worth the wait and you'll be able to get your money's worth out of FreeSync.

Kinda why I'm not a big fan of G-Sync or FreeSync.

Yeah, but it's fucking awesome. I do agree that it sucks for both sides to have their own proprietary(ish) stuff going on and there's no unified standard.

Only in video. Read the thing again. It doesn't do anything in games, no VRR.

All AMD Radeon™ graphics cards in the AMD Radeon™ HD 7000, HD 8000, R7 or R9 Series will support AMD FreeSync™ technology for video playback and power-saving purposes. The AMD Radeon™ R9 295X2, 290X, R9 290, R9 285, R7 260X and R7 260 GPUs additionally feature updated display controllers that will support dynamic refresh rates during gaming.

Yeah that sucks about the 7970 and 7950 not supporting freesync in Games. I was like cool I get hold out a little longer with my card. Then I read that and now I too don't know which monitor to buy. I wanted a 1440p freesync and 480. But the latter is not powerful enough for my needs. Kinda sucks really.

Suggestions?

Advice: sell your current monitor, buy a 1070, and grab a G-Sync monitor.

Sometimes it's OK to cut your losses.

I'mconsidering the technology of free sync vs gsync myself, but I game on TV. I know of at least one TV with Free sync, does anyone know of some with gsync?

If you are looking for 980 Ti/1070 performance, AMD has nothing for you. Its sad, but true. If you are happy with ~2x your 7970's performance, grab a 390X and be happy.

I'mconsidering the technology of free sync vs gsync myself, but I game on TV. I know of at least one TV with Free sync, does anyone know of some with gsync?

Unfortunately there are no TVs with GSync, and there most likely will never be. The reason you see TVs and a lot of monitors with Freesync is in the name: It's free. It doesn't cost the manufacturer any extra to add FSync into the firmware, given they are using hardware that is compatible. Thats why you see some Korean brand monitors come out with 43 inch 4K screens that got freesync support in a patch: they were using the right displayport controller, so they just added the feature on.

Kinda why I'm not a big fan of G-Sync or FreeSync. Means you're stuck with a particular brand til to change monitors again. Yeah Nvidia is a safer bet but but I still don't like being tied down to one brand. I upgrade GPU's every couple years but upgrade monitors around 4 or 5 years.

As for the OP, you could always wait til the 490 or whatever they're calling it comes out. Hopefully it'll be worth the wait and you'll be able to get your money's worth out of FreeSync.

I wouldn't consider FreeSync as being "stuck" with it. G-Sync yes, because you paid extra for it, for FreeSync, no.

Reason: If you remove FreeSync, you remove a LOT of panel possibiliies, IE it would be much harder finding a 1080p/144hz screen, and nigh impossible to find 1440p/144hz monitors without either FreeSync or G-Sync (barring Korean Monitors, but I haven't looked into them because no one in my country stocks them, and I cannot get them online anywhere).

I would, for all intents and purposes, ignore existence of the words FreeSync if running nVidia GPU, since 1) It works like any other non-adaptive sync otherwise and 2) ruling out FreeSync basically eliminates a lot of monitor choices.

Besides, there is always a small feint hope that nVidia will eventually cave in and suppor VESA standard adaptive sync. Certainly better chance than allowing AMD to support G-Sync anyhow.

Last edited:
Besides, there is always a small feint hope that nVidia will eventually cave in and suppor VESA standard adaptive sync. Certainly better chance than allowing AMD to support G-Sync anyhow.

Or your next video card could be an AMD one and then you know that all the features of your Freesync monitor.

I have the money to spend on gsync but I won't. I will wait as long as I have to, to not give any money to nvidia's closed standard. Until eventually nvidia starts lowering the price or starts supporting the standard that is commonly available. They can suck me up 200 times for me to spend extra 200. I will give them money for faster performing card but I won't support their closed standard or feed it. To me I shouldn't have to pay 700 for a fucking 27 inch monitor with gsync in 2016. When the whole industry is embracing freesync nvidia needs to get on board and I bet you give it another year or two they will. There are far too many freesync monitors available then gsync. So its only a matter of time before nvidia caves. If Vega gives me enough performance I will see my Pascal card and happily upgrade to a freesync monitor and vega.

The title says FreeSync sucks. Reason being.... ?

From the thread it seems he bought a FreeSync display expecting AMD to release a competitive product and they haven't. Since nVidia doesn't support Freesync he's stuck with it if he wants to upgrade now. He's stuck with that display and folks saying "just wait for AMD to release 'X'!" The reality is that by the time AMD does finally get their crap together and release 'X' nVidia will be preparing to shove 'Y' out the door.

That's what I've gotten from the thread anyway.

Or your next video card could be an AMD one and then you know that all the features of your Freesync monitor.
True, but the same argument applies the other way round as well (pairing a G-Sync monitor with AMD GPU, with possible nVidia GPU upgrade path).

My main point is that it makes sense to avoid G-Sync since it often incurs an extra cost on top of the monitor, especially comparing similar panels (EG comparing PG279Q vs MG279Q), but avoiding FreeSync on top of avoiding G-Sync starts to dramatically limiting Panel choices. A lot of G-Sync have FreeSync equivalents, and a lot of FreeSync don't have G-Sync equivalents, but a lot of FreeSync also do not have Syncless equivalents, and the latter was my main point. It becomes very limiting.

Case in point: My BL3201PT somehow supports FreeSync, despite it not advertised as such. Would I avoid it if I had known about it? No, because it would cost me $300 to do so (PA328Q was the only other 32" 4k available, and it was $300 more expensive, plus I wouldn't have gotten the SpyderPro that came with the BenQ, which I put it to good use on my PG278Q).

Last edited:
My opinion:

Buy the 1070 now if you feel you need it, and just play with VSync on. Budget for a GSync display later. The 1070 is a beast, and is likely fast enough that with VSync on, you won't even notice the difference anyway, especially if your monitor supports 75+ hz.

I have to say, though, that gaming on a display that supports FreeSync with an AMD card is pretty awesome. Definitely makes my 290X seem faster than it actually is.

My opinion:

Buy the 1070 now if you feel you need it, and just play with VSync on. Budget for a GSync display later. The 1070 is a beast, and is likely fast enough that with VSync on, you won't even notice the difference anyway, especially if your monitor supports 75+ hz.

I have to say, though, that gaming on a display that supports FreeSync with an AMD card is pretty awesome. Definitely makes my 290X seem faster than it actually is.

I agree with your post completely. I'm upgrading my display within about a month. If I can find a G-sync monitor at a price I like I'll get it but I'm not going to try to avoid FreeSync altogether. Like chenw said, there is a chance nVidia will cave and support it eventually. If G-Sync displays just don't pull their weight in the market the manufacturers will get fed up and force nVidia's hand.

And I certainly hope they do, it would dramatically increase the pool of monitors available to use to full potential.

Plus, FreeSync monitors are coming left, right and centre. G-Sync monitor releases has been picking up pace recently, not still nowhere NEAR the degree FreeSync is.

It certainly feels like everything is either G-Sync or FreeSync these days.

The title says FreeSync sucks. Reason being.... ?

I thought the same but it means its sucks having freesync when he wants gtx 1070 so bad that doesn't support it. Technically is should be the other way around, gtx 1070 is amazing but nvidia fuckin sucks for not supporting freesync lol. I have 1070 superclocked, exchaged my 1080 for it as I didn't need that much power, but I am cool with my monitor now. I will wait until nvidia only has a handful manufacturer left who will support their gsync.

it seems like there are more and more freesync panels available. Kinda crazy I see like so many more than gsync monitors. I think manufacturer are adapting freesync in large vs gsync. Might be a while but eventually Nvidia will cave.

To be honest FreeSync monitors will work just fine with any video card even if it doesn't support FreeSync. They usually don't cost much more than the regular monitor. FreeSync can be enabled over HDMI. So there is no reason to ditch the FreeSync monitor unless the OP wants a GSYNC monitor.

FreeSync certainly does not suck especially with the monitors that support LFC. The OP has a video card that does not support FreeSync gaming due to it's age. The age of his video card is what sucks. If I were him I would get a GTX 1070 in a heartbeat and then work towards saving up for a GSYNC monitor as they are prohibitively more expensive than a FreeSync monitor.

And I certainly hope they do, it would dramatically increase the pool of monitors available to use to full potential.

Plus, FreeSync monitors are coming left, right and centre. G-Sync monitor releases has been picking up pace recently, not still nowhere NEAR the degree FreeSync is.

It certainly feels like everything is either G-Sync or FreeSync these days.

Yep you beat me to it. lol. I said the same thing. Everytime I type gsync so many freesync monitors pop up. left right and center as you said. Frickin 700 for a 1440p gsync these days? That's just outrageous when you can get a curved 4k for that much.

To be honest FreeSync monitors will work just fine with any video card even if it doesn't support FreeSync. They usually don't cost much more than the regular monitor. FreeSync can be enabled over HDMI. So there is no reason to ditch the FreeSync monitor unless the OP wants a GSYNC monitor.

FreeSync certainly does not suck especially with the monitors that support LFC. The OP has a video card that does not support FreeSync gaming due to it's age. The age of his video card is what sucks. If I were him I would get a GTX 1070 in a heartbeat and then work towards saving up for a GSYNC monitor as they are prohibitively more expensive than a FreeSync monitor.

wait are you saying freesync with work with nvidia cards over hdmi? if so any link to it working? Because I would be seriously interested. But I don't if that is what you meant or you just meant it will work without the freesync feature. Can you clarify?

wait are you saying freesync with work with nvidia cards over hdmi? if so any link to it working? Because I would be seriously interested. But I don't if that is what you meant or you just meant it will work without the freesync feature. Can you clarify?

No, I was saying that FreeSync monitors work just fine with Nvidia cards. Of course the FreeSync feature set is disabled. Sorry I got your hopes up. ;)

Ha ha I feel bad now. Again I apologize.

I caved and got a GTX 1080 for my Freesync monitor. Didn't want to play the waiting game. Depending on Vega I may go back to AMD for the Freesync though.

I caved and got a GTX 1080 for my Freesync monitor. Didn't want to play the waiting game. Depending on Vega I may go back to AMD for the Freesync though.

same here. I decided I won't give my money to nvidia on a closed system gsync. I would rather get a freesync monitor with higher hz. I see more and more and more freesync monitors flooding the market. Sooner or later Nvidia will end up enabling it as more and more manufacturer supports freesync or drop the price on gsync. If Nvidia doesn't I will see how vega performs, to be honest I would rather support an open standard. As soon as AMD has higher performing card I will pull the plug and get a nice freesync monitor.

I think we should set reasonable goals here. Even if Nvidia folds, it won't be soon. We know from their track record (as well as the behavior of other companies in format wars) that they'll prop it up as long as they can.

Considering Nvidia currently holds the market advantage, we can see them sticking to their guns at least a little longer. It'll probably be a product cycle or two before we see significant shifts.

I hate anti-competitive practices; that said, I've been waiting for tear-free tech since the beginning of my gaming days, and G-Sync just happened to the best choice this time around.

I'm looking forward to buying FreeSync when I'll have to upgrade again-- until then, we're gonna have to play the game by their rules.

OP, if the difference between 1070 and 480 is too great for you to stomach, then selling your monitor, even for a slight loss, might be the only thing to give you peace of mind at the end of the day. VRR is pretty sweet.

I think we should set reasonable goals here. Even if Nvidia folds, it won't be soon. We know from their track record (as well as the behavior of other companies in format wars) that they'll prop it up as long as they can.

Considering Nvidia currently holds the market advantage, we can see them sticking to their guns at least a little longer. It'll probably be a product cycle or two before we see significant shifts.

I hate anti-competitive practices; that said, I've been waiting for tear-free tech since the beginning of my gaming days, and G-Sync just happened to the best choice this time around.

I'm looking forward to buying FreeSync when I'll have to upgrade again-- until then, we're gonna have to play the game by their rules.

OP, if the difference between 1070 and 480 is too great for you to stomach, then selling your monitor, even for a slight loss, might be the only thing to give you peace of mind at the end of the day. VRR is pretty sweet.

I don't mind buying gsync but I wont at the price nvidia is asking. Just doesn't make sense to me. Only reason I would wait until vega comes out see how it performs. if I don't find a gsync for around 400 for 27inch 1440p atleast 144hz like freesync monitors are going for I would probably sell my card and buy vega and free sync monitor.

Vega has its work cut out for them though, I mean, big time.

If Vega was supposed to catch up to Pascal, and if rumours about Volta prove to be true, I'd think we are looking at AMD releasing a brand new card that is competing against nVidia's previous gen card.

Not a pretty picture.

Even against Pascal it's a daunting task, given the perf difference between 480 and 1080 (let alone Pitan) at the moment.

Back