I'm sold. Who else?

Your upgrade path?

• Total voters
I was one of the guys begging nVidia to drop G92 or better shader power on a 512 interface with 1Gb ram. I'll let everyone know how I honestly feel about the card in the next few weeks. I plan on play testing; AoC, WiC, DiRT, Crysis, Jericho, and others with loads of AA and all the features turned up and on possible.

I think an overclocked GTX 260 will be a good option for many. I'm surprised it isn't higher in the poll.

2x 4870s in CF for me(3x later on)...if its signifigantly faster then a gtx 280 ill send my striker II extreme back and get a ASUS P5E3 Premium or soemthing else lol :D....unless i see a bench of a gtx 260 vs 4870 and sli scales better.... now the waiting begins...

I'm going for a pair of 4870s as long as they can be acquired for $300 each. I'm also waiting for the new Intel Q9650 as well, so the old socket 939 is going to have to hold on a bit longer.

9800gtx cards still scale very nicely in sli at 25x16, so I'm waiting for them to drop $50 or so more and then grab another for $200 or so.

As long as both sides provide good competition for each other, I could care less. Coincidentally I have one AMD/ATI system and One Intel/Nvidia system. If there wasn't enough competition between the two, I could not afford to have two systems. So do whatever it takes to keep the fight going, and the prices lower. I just hope that neither one of them come out with a totally crappy product too many times in a row and go under.

My laptops Radeon Express 200M does good enough for me especially at 350Mhz (Stock is 300Mhz) with 128MB shared Ram. My sweet 7 FPS in Crysis on the lowest settings at 800x600. I voted to not Upgrade.

laff

I dont do PC gaming much so i dont buy new gpu or anything for my desktops, I do all console gaming, well the only pc game i play is Spore Creature Creator (Demo Version) at a record 30FPS thats with all settings stock. Also I found a typo in my last post, it should say Xpress Not Express.

I abandoned my desktop rig when my job bought me a Sager NP9262 with a quad (pin modded to 3GHz), 4GB of RAM, 3x 160GB HDD's, and an 8800m GTX 512. My upgrade path is the SLI kit...but that's 700 fracking dollars...no option for that.

Most likely getting 1 4870 to replace X1900 Crossfire. Maybe 2 if prices are right. Forget GTX, the bang for buck is not there.

Ouch. ATI's got quite a good customer base of this poll translates into sales respectivly.

bang for the buck is a good marketing strategy. if what we are hearing is true then ATI is going to be offering almost as good performance with much lower cost. and they are going to kill GTX on margins, they can easily make the 4800 chips a lot cheaper.

Glad to see there are 126 other sane people here who are either waiting for good reviews or not upgrading.

People who have already made up their mind are jumping the gun a bit IMHO!

I'm admittedly seriously leaning towards the 4850 (less power consumption and apparently pretty darn nice performance). But I really want/need to see some more non-Crysis general audience benchmarks for it (and more importantly the 4870) before officially pulling the trigger on something.

Going to wait on reviews. Not worth blowing $400 on a step up only to realize a cheaper card that can be multi-GPU'd on my Intel chipset is a better option...

And besides, the ATI cards should have better folding power when you realize they actually perform more FLOPS than the GT200

Already ordered my GTX 280, i'm only interested in single GPU solutions and the GTX 280 is easily the fastest and will provide a nice jump over my 8800GTX, crossfire and sli don't appeal to me.

If anyone has already got a 88** series card then the GTX 200 series are not that impressive. On paper they are monsters. Really only worth the cash if you plan on ultra high resolutions.

If anyone has already got a 88** series card then the GTX 200 series are not that impressive. On paper they are monsters. Really only worth the cash if you plan on ultra high resolutions.

Or running any kind of antialiasing or anisotropy since games look much worse without it and desire higher minimum framerates without stuttering/hitching... http://www.nvnews.net/reviews/geforce_gtx_280/page_6.shtml looked plenty worth it to me :D so I made the jump to a 280.

Add me to the ATI list.

I've been waiting for months to upgrade my 8800GTX, but I'm not paying $650 for a card that's louder and only provides the limited improvements the benchmarks show for the GTX 280. Granted, my resolution is only 1680x1050. I'm sure there's a market for them, but I think for the first time since my Radeon 9800XT, I'm waiting on ATI. And I'm not a fan of the nVidia chipsets, so I'm not going to SLI anything.

I will go for the 4870 if it is sub $300. My current 3870 clocks very well and has given me no problems.

Im lazy.. i dont see any point upgrading atm.. dont need any w00t ftw superedition clocked cards..

I'm kind of surprised at how bad the 260 is doing. It would seem to be a reasonable choice for many. I am not surprised at the people waiting or skipping this gen. A lot want to know how the 48xx series will perform and cost. Also, aside for very high res and Crysis, the current 8800/9800 series cards perform very well in current games. I can see not having much of a reason to upgrade if you already have 9800/8800 and a monitor that does less than 1920x1200.

Or running any kind of antialiasing or anisotropy since games look much worse without it and desire higher minimum framerates without stuttering/hitching... http://www.nvnews.net/reviews/geforce_gtx_280/page_6.shtml looked plenty worth it to me :D so I made the jump to a 280.

Sure, sure. To most of us who already have an 88** series or SLI'd config these new reworkings of Nvidias current series GPU arent all that impressive. Save your self the agonizing trip to newegg to spend 600+ dollars on an "upgrade". I'm not saying that they are not impressive. I'm just speaking from a price to performance ratio which most of us Hard OCP'ers tend to look to most before we go and plunge down our hard earned money.

AGP... Aging Graphics Processors...lol hey, Im still using a 7800gsOC from BFG AGP solution in my P4 rig as I speak. Not my primary gaming rig as you all know. But handles all my games that I currently have on it just fine.

I'll be sitting tight with this set up for a while. First, I've had it for like 8 weeks so it's a little soon. Second, it runs all the games I play perfectly at 1680x01050. Third, I'll hold off and see if the 48xx is all everyone hopes it is. Finally, I'd like to see nVidia comes witha DX10.1 card to make a real comparison. If I was building a system today I'd have to say I'd lean ATi though.

Why is nobody going for the GTX260? Significantly more horsepower than the 9800GTX and onlt $50 more than its launch MSRP.

did you guys vote under the assumption the GTX260 would outperform a single HD4870, or underperform it?

This poll is actually a huge shift from the one I set up two weeks before launch. Before the HD 4850 and GTX 280 were out, people seemingly had a huge nVidia bias. Things definitely have gone different for this poll, where everything is more even (as it should be).

I have pretty much decided on the 4850, unless the 4870 is significantly faster (leaked specs seem to indicate only a higher clockspeed).

It is more than just clock speed that is different.

Me personally?

I always build computers that hover on questionable idle temps.

Single cards will do it for me. I literally JUST bought a 9800GTX and I'll stick with it. Anything else will likely force my hand towards a PSU upgrade and I don't want to yank my 800W Ultra from my Armor case after the headache it was to get it in there.

Its hard not to notice the 4850 with the performance vs price ratios that they are delivering. I'v gone tri-SLI 280 for my main rig but may pick up a 4870x2 for my for secondary system.

i'd like apair of 4870x2's if the performance is great and so is the price :)

Back