• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

I'm running SLI now :D

p0tempkin said:
You can easily identify the comments iin this thread made by high-school kids working minimum wage jobs.

Who cares about if the price/performance ratio of other video cards is much higher?

Who cares if XXX is going to come out in XXX months and be XXX faster?

Some people can afford not to care. More power to them.

I needed a laugh this morning and this did it.
 
p0tempkin said:
You can easily identify the comments iin this thread made by high-school kids working minimum wage jobs.

Who cares about if the price/performance ratio of other video cards is much higher?

Who cares if XXX is going to come out in XXX months and be XXX faster?

Some people can afford not to care. More power to them.

You dont have to be a highschool kid, to appreciate more for your money.

While I dont think waiting is generally a good idea, with PC hardware, sometimes it can be a good thing. There is always something better around the corner, so I generally believe if you want something, then get it now.

That being said, when the new cards are probably going to be shown close to a months time, it can be very much worth waiting just a month or two before making such a large purchase. Jumping in head first, making the second biggest purchase available, at this stage of the latest generation of cards, isnt something I would advise. Money means different things to different people, but I really doubt many people here would be happy spending $1000+ today, when $500 (or close to it) might be as fast, in two months.

But then again.. it may be several months before these new cards actually ship, making my "point" moot. Right now, there are a whole lot of "if", and "might"s right now. Its so hard to judge new hardware, without seeing it for real. Which is why I usually dont wait. In this instance though, I would. You can certainly argue for not waiting though. I dont think there is a right, or a wrong in this case.
 
nice rig man, congrats on getting SLI up and running! I myself am getting ready for an SLI rig in the near future, so its always great to hear reactions from current users. My only suggestion would be to get some water cooling, its got to be awful hot/noisy in that case! :D
 
i just ordred a 6800 ultra. going to pick up a 2nd one here soon.
 
To those who think we are bashing SLi and its power in the current age I have one thing to say. I wouldnt buy SLi NOW. At the Current time when I could just be patient and wait what 3 months? 4 months? I could save 500 dollars or more. If I hadnt had bought my X800XT and Sli had better Drivers from the get go you would have seen another 6800GT SLi user right here. Hell I have a 6800GT in my Shuttle case and I love it.
I am not dissing SLi or its current power but the whole "Life is unpredictable" crap and "life is short" stuff doesnt have much validity (sure they are true but that doesnt mean you shuld live your life by them). I mean if you were to apply that to your entire life you would go bankrupt imediatly. I am just saying Patience is a virtue and it pays off with computers. I think when AMR is out and the 6800s of today have sunk in price I will pick some up to put in another rig of mine.
 
{NG}Fidel said:
To those who think we are bashing SLi and its power in the current age I have one thing to say. I wouldnt buy SLi NOW. At the Current time when I could just be patient and wait what 3 months? 4 months? I could save 500 dollars or more. If I hadnt had bought my X800XT and Sli had better Drivers from the get go you would have seen another 6800GT SLi user right here. Hell I have a 6800GT in my Shuttle case and I love it.
I am not dissing SLi or its current power but the whole "Life is unpredictable" crap and "life is short" stuff doesnt have much validity (sure they are true but that doesnt mean you shuld live your life by them). I mean if you were to apply that to your entire life you would go bankrupt imediatly. I am just saying Patience is a virtue and it pays off with computers. I think when AMR is out and the 6800s of today have sunk in price I will pick some up to put in another rig of mine.

Of course, you don't know how many months...you don't know if the power is comparable....you don't know what the price and availability will be.....

Can you say "X800 XT Phantom Edition? I can and remember the paper launch well.

So what if it's 5months? and the only cards available are gouger priced at $800.? or they aren't even as powerful as 2 6800GTs you can get for $700. now?

Like I said, those who wish for best case scenarios are often left twisting in the wind. ;)
 
Hell, if youre gonna wait why not stretch this conversation into wanting an FX-60 or Intel super dedooper extreme triple core???? The variables are endless. Like I said before I "waited " for an Ultra because there WERENT ANY NOWHERE, at the time. These heavy duty cards will take a long time to come available. Realistically if you are ATI or Nvidia wouldnt you rather sell 10 million 6200s to Dell than sell 100 geForce 7000 Ultras??? where do you think these guys come from anyway?? Go with what you got or want now. two cents only.
 
whats blind about current known technology that works????
see and blind did you think that up??? i dont "see" what you mean, i guess. :D
 
I've opened a can of worms here haven't i!!!!

The ppl saying wait for FX-60 are missing the point....yes we would be waiting forever for the next big thing, but that is not what we are saying. {NG}Fidel hit the nail on the head....It's the proximity of the release of a new GPU. Yes we may not see any for a year, but ATi may bang out a decent amount a couple of months after release of specs......we don't know, alot of if's and but's ;) But (lol) becuse of that possibilty it's common sense to wait.

I notice how you say x800 xt is the phantom edition as the refresh wasn't the diabolical shambles of the 800 series launch, so that one's waring abit thin.....look hard enough and u can find plenty of PE's now anyway...shit I can buy 4 different makes right now from my local store.....the point being it's unlikely the R520 launch will be as bad....again if's and but's lol but if they do they are in the shit big time, and that's not the position they are looking to be in is it?

We are not knocking the OP's rig, it's gotta be one of the fastest on this forum on kudos to him :D

Anyway....there will be no end to this 'debate', so I suggest we fire up our rigs (which will be amoungst the fastest around.....) and have a huge serious sam 2 co-op sesh :D (just found that game and it's awesome!!!)
 
whats blind about current known technology that works????

I am not dissing current tech since I know that it works and quite well at that. I am just saying "I" myself would not be comfterble droping 1000 to 800 on a Sli Setup now. The reason being is that I have heard too much about G70s and R520s and I know that its around the time the new chips come out. What happens if one 400 or 500 dollar card kicks my SLi rigs performance out the window? I wouldnt feel so good then. On the other hand when they come, if the offer no tangable benafits or are slower then I will drop the money on Sli. I just think its a bit late to get a SLi Setup but thats obviously not the same opinion shared here, but hey, I am not trying to force my views on anyone so chill.
 
weve had this really neat hypothetical conversation for 2 days now. I didnt ask Mr. Don how long he waited to set up his new system??? A year, 2, 6 months??? What did it replace??? (not that it really matters. again i know your new system kicks butt and im really glad you didnt ask any of these other guys before you set it up or you would still be looking at an empty desk.)
 
So Makave7i Tha Don are you now acing all games at 2048x1536 with 4xaa 16xaf?

That's how I'd roll.

Nice computer
 
What happens if one 400 or 500 dollar card kicks my SLi rigs performance out the window?

The only way this can happen is if R520 has almost twice the performance of 6800U/GT. When was the last time a next gen card doubled the performance of the previous gen card? I'll bet that a 6800GT SLI will still be able to run with, or beat, one top-of-the-line R520.
And I doubt the MSRP of the top-line next gen card will even be close to $400-500. Even if it were to happen, it would be months before the price comes down that level.
 
GlimmerMan said:
When was the last time a next gen card doubled the performance of the previous gen card?

Isn't the x850XT PE nearly double the 9800XT? And surly the 6800 Ultra is double that of the 5950 Ultra?

Don't have numbers but it's gotta be close......

EDIT - based on the 3dmark05 score list :

Average x850XT PE score : 7026
Average 9800XT score : 2835

Average 6800 Ultra score : 5527
Average 5900 score : 1127

Granted, artificial benchmark, not reallife game scores.....but I bet the next gen will be a similar picture....so I'll add one more... Average 6800 Ultra SLI score : 10569

Going by those kinda numbers....the R520/G70 *should* be scoring about 15k+ at least. Imagine those cards SLi/AMR'd :eek: *drool*

So yeah, they look, in artificial benchies at least to be more than twice as powerful.
 
illgiveumorality said:
So Makave7i Tha Don are you now acing all games at 2048x1536 with 4xaa 16xaf?

That's how I'd roll.

Nice computer

haha, man you know it. Nothin less with this rig :D
 
U235 said:
My only suggestion would be to get some water cooling, its got to be awful hot/noisy in that case! :D

With the right case and a little modification noise won't be an issue. I'm very picky about noise as I have a few computers all over my house.


soloflya8nd0of.jpg
 
GlimmerMan said:
The only way this can happen is if R520 has almost twice the performance of 6800U/GT. When was the last time a next gen card doubled the performance of the previous gen card? I'll bet that a 6800GT SLI will still be able to run with, or beat, one top-of-the-line R520.
And I doubt the MSRP of the top-line next gen card will even be close to $400-500. Even if it were to happen, it would be months before the price comes down that level.

And SLI does not achieve double the performance of 2 cards, close on some, but woefully short on others. A 50% on average. Your whole point is moot.
 
/
weve had this really neat hypothetical conversation for 2 days now. I didnt ask Mr. Don how long he waited to set up his new system??? A year, 2, 6 months??? What did it replace??? (not that it really matters. again i know your new system kicks butt and im really glad you didnt ask any of these other guys before you set it up or you would still be looking at an empty desk.)

Wow you havent understood one word I have said. Would you buy Something of imense power for a large sum of money when you have heard sevral times something of around the same power or greater was just around the corner and even possibly for less? Personaly in the world of computer graphics certain rumours have become true before and if it can save me money at the mo to wait. Then hell I will, take the chance and wait.
I dunno its just what I do. If he asked to make an SLi about 4 to 5 months ago then I would surely recomend it. Or basicly when those Nvidia Drivers that supported (was it 70 or more I forget) I would highly recomend SLi.
 
{NG}Fidel said:
/

Wow you havent understood one word I have said. Would you buy Something of imense power for a large sum of money when you have heard sevral times something of around the same power or greater was just around the corner and even possibly for less? Personaly in the world of computer graphics certain rumours have become true before and if it can save me money at the mo to wait. Then hell I will, take the chance and wait.
I dunno its just what I do. If he asked to make an SLi about 4 to 5 months ago then I would surely recomend it. Or basicly when those Nvidia Drivers that supported (was it 70 or more I forget) I would highly recomend SLi.
I understand completely what you said. I just dont agree. I dont think there are any new breathtaking video advances "just around the corner." Its going to be months until MAYBE this ATI card comes out. There already is a 512 6800 Ultra but it $900 for crying out loud, and nobody has been able to demonstrate an advantage over the SLI. SLI isnt going away, yes the driver problem took some time to figure out but now its settled. I think that any SLI is upgradeable just as any single card solution is granted its PCIE. Its simple you have your opinion and I have mine. It sound like you are waiting for the next big thing and probably will be even after the next best thing arrives. Some people always wait and are never satisfied, others either like what they see or can afford to get what they want. Have a nice day,get over it. :D
 
Back
Top