• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

I'm running SLI now :D

tsuehpsyde said:
My post was in no way directed to you...I just read a few people bitching, so I skipped to reply, since I hear this argument alot. To you or me, this makes no sense at all, as we have pretty current shit, with your CPU being a bit newer than mine. For us to upgrade to his system would be, uneccessary. As far as I'm concerned, the SLi was the "refresh" this time around, instead of a whole new card line, as the X850 series came out as well. I upgraded from a Pentium3, so my upgrade made sense. :eek: But, had I had a 9800 Pro, then it wouldn't have made much sense. It's all in perspective as well. But, if you feel that I bitched at you about not having money to spend, then obviously you're someone who has to defend their system because they're insecure about it, or their cash flow. ;) Calm down, all of you. My claw is only at 2.35GHz at 10x235 with 2-3-3 on my memory on socket 754. I'm by no means on fire, but the higher FSB makes a notable difference in performance...but sadly my memory controller craps out with much more running two sticks of memory. When the San Diego FX series processor comes out, that's a notable upgrade....if it can't handle the speeds I want in the memory controller, I don't want it.

So if it makes sense and you want it, get it....and if someone gets something that's good (don't pretend SLi sucks, that's some bullshit and all of you know it) don't crap on their thread or shit on their machine....all it shows is someone who's jealous and says "I'm going to be faster in a few months, you just wait!" in the voice of a second grader. I personally smile in admiration for ANYONE running a 6800GT/Ultra SLi, as I want it personally but I don't need it just yet, and I want to wait for the FX refresh and the videocard refresh as I already have a 6800 Ultra and a Clawhammer that can pull 3700+ speeds, but for .1v less, I can get a PR of 3625+, which is more than enough for me.

/end rant

Ok np mate :) Just makes me laugh some of the shit I read. I'll only be insecure about my system when the next top line cards are out :D
 
Damn Tiger, my CPU score murders yours (I was running 2.4GHz tho, but it was with a divider on the memory) in 3dmark05, but your actual score spanks mine. Go figure. :p
 
YOU GUYS ARE IDIOTS!!!

With that said I got proof:

1. You keep saying he wasted his money when new hardware is coming out. HELLO WAKE UP! are there not ti4200s still being used and play games currently? How old are they again?
his sytem has the pssibility of lasting a long time.
2. Yes he wated a lot of money on that second card but if he has the money let him do it. Hell if you had the money you probably woudl have too.
3. Just because somthing isn't cutting edge, doesn't mean it doesn't work. Why are people still buying 9800pros? They are liek how old? Still run games fine. Why should you wait months to get the newest card? The best of this gen will probably run witht he mid-range of the next if nto better. Just b/c the r520 specs say it has blah blah blah, thats only the highest end card. Lower than that is not goign to be as good. You will pay the price when it comes out *Cough cough x800 xt pe $999*
4. since when has the best of the previous gen not worked the next?
 
ray4389 said:
YOU GUYS ARE IDIOTS!!!

With that said I got proof:

1. You keep saying he wasted his money when new hardware is coming out. HELLO WAKE UP! are there not ti4200s still being used and play games currently? How old are they again?
his sytem has the pssibility of lasting a long time.
2. Yes he wated a lot of money on that second card but if he has the money let him do it. Hell if you had the money you probably woudl have too.
3. Just because somthing isn't cutting edge, doesn't mean it doesn't work. Why are people still buying 9800pros? They are liek how old? Still run games fine. Why should you wait months to get the newest card? The best of this gen will probably run witht he mid-range of the next if nto better. Just b/c the r520 specs say it has blah blah blah, thats only the highest end card. Lower than that is not goign to be as good. You will pay the price when it comes out *Cough cough x800 xt pe $999*
4. since when has the best of the previous gen not worked the next?


Nothing wrong with SLI, i'v debated it a couple times as a stop gap to use before SM4.0. I just think its lame to pay 500+ x2 when that price will take a knock once this years new cards come out which gets closer ever day. If Nvidia had allowed an MSRP drop as well on PCX 6800s i think they'd be offering a better deal. Even some sort of refund, say 10%, for buying 2 cards. My opinion anyway.
 
FanATIc said:
Nothing wrong with SLI, i'v debated it a couple times as a stop gap to use before SM4.0. I just think its lame to pay 500+ x2 when that price will take a knock once this years new cards come out which gets closer ever day. If Nvidia had allowed an MSRP drop as well on PCX 6800s i think they'd be offering a better deal. Even some sort of refund, say 10%, for buying 2 cards. My opinion anyway.
It is kinda stupid but if you had the moeny then hell I might consder it too. I'm on a budget so I was jsut able to get my 6800. I salvaged a HD, CPU, RAM DIMM, and CD DRIVES form a computer from christmas. BOught a 9600xt, month later new case and MB. 4 months later VID card again but this time it was for B-day. SOmetime in between cutting grass i got a WD HD 160gb for $80 neew in box and sams club
And forogt when i got second dimm of ram

I'm 16 have no bills. I jsut pick and choose where my moeny goes.
I pull liek $100 a month form grass
$50 alowance..
usually get $80 extra somehow...no gas to pay for yet...no bills...livin ok right now
 
tsuehpsyde said:
Damn Tiger, my CPU score murders yours (I was running 2.4GHz tho, but it was with a divider on the memory) in 3dmark05, but your actual score spanks mine. Go figure. :p

That score was with cpu running just under 2.6Ghz I think....can't be arsed to check now, going home from work and tired :p
 
Aaron_ATX said:
Enjoy! When my tax return money comes in i'll be getting around to upgrading my box as well. 'Puter parts shoping kicks ass, as long as you have the money for whatcha want.


Same boat man, just got it yester day now I just have to wait for a San Diego chip, that and jsut about everything else I was plannin on suddenly sold out from newegg. :(
 
At the current time I feel SLi is a waste when the new cards are around the corner. I think the prime to Buy a Sli Setup was when (When I say Sli I mean buying both cards at once) those Nvidia drivers that suported like 60 or 70 games came out. Before their was a massive lack of support for any games and untaped power resulted. Of course in my opinion (I want to try SLi looking into getting a a cheap SLi Rig) with new cards coming out I would just wait and see prices and performance and based off those statistics I would decide weather or not to go SLi or the new gen.
 
killerD said:
I'll buy one of them off you for $200 in a couple months after R520 is out. ;)

OMG - You'd have to be stupid to buy the R520. If you do buy an R520 anyway I'll be happy to buy it off of you for $150 when Nvidia releases the NV50, not to mention the fact that the R600 is not too far behind. Oh wait shit what am I saying all that stuff sucks too since the NV60 will come out. Errr damn maybe I should wait for the R700. Oh but then it'll suck when the NV80 comes out!! What should I do!!!
 
FanATIc said:
Nothing wrong with SLI, i'v debated it a couple times as a stop gap to use before SM4.0.

What's SM4.0? Is that nVIDIA's response to ATI's upcoming SM3.1?

Seriously folks, I just can't believe it. Someone posts that they have a nice system and what they've got and it turns into an ATI versus nVIDIA over next gen.

LOL, of course I'm going to add to this chain that should of been just "Congrats. Enjoy. or I'm Jealous!"

I've got a "real" question for the "!!!!!!s" out there. Since when has ATI or nVIDIA released a next gen card that is twice as fast as their high-end from their previous gen? It usually takes several core revisions and an eventual Ultra or Platinum Edition to pull this off. Why does anyone think that the R520 will "out of the gate" be all that as everyone seems to be stating? Usually I've only seen 50% out of the gate with them then releasing the 100% with the extreme editions or whatever later. So let's just say that I'm skeptical that the R520 would even be better than 50% over an 6800 Ultra or an 850XT PE card.
 
HighTest said:
I've got a "real" question for the "!!!!!!s" out there.

Since when was "spinning cooling device children" an offensive word? F A A N B O Y Z
 
HighTest said:
What's SM4.0? Is that nVIDIA's response to ATI's upcoming SM3.1?

Seriously folks, I just can't believe it. Someone posts that they have a nice system and what they've got and it turns into an ATI versus nVIDIA over next gen.

LOL, of course I'm going to add to this chain that should of been just "Congrats. Enjoy. or I'm Jealous!"

I've got a "real" question for the "!!!!!!s" out there. Since when has ATI or nVIDIA released a next gen card that is twice as fast as their high-end from their previous gen? It usually takes several core revisions and an eventual Ultra or Platinum Edition to pull this off. Why does anyone think that the R520 will "out of the gate" be all that as everyone seems to be stating? Usually I've only seen 50% out of the gate with them then releasing the 100% with the extreme editions or whatever later. So let's just say that I'm skeptical that the R520 would even be better than 50% over an 6800 Ultra or an 850XT PE card.

R420 v R300 = more then twice the speed
NV40 v NV30 = more then twice the speed
You obviously dont look at any benchmarks nor did you read any of the comparisons when the cards were released.

SM4.0 is the next big shader technology leap from microsoft due to release with longhorn (2006). Each big release is a two year thing before major update so thats what i use.
 
heres some pics, i think these are a little big tho

P5030014.JPG


P5030019.JPG


P5030020.JPG


P5030012.JPG


P5030013.JPG


P5030021.JPG
 
oops, system specs, right.

Asus A8N SLI deluxe
AMD FX-55, xp120 heatsink
2 gig corsair pc3200 low latency ram, 2.5-3-3-6
2xBFG 6800 ultra OC pci-e
Sounblaster Audigy 4 pro
Custon enermax 600 watt power supply
2 74 gig raptors in raid
250 gig WD sata HDD
some japanese floppy drive, who cares
enermax 4 fan controller
Plextor PX-716SA sata DVD burner
Plextor Plexwriter premium cd burner
Sony DVD rom
various led fans and 2 cold cathodes
 
Seriously folks, I just can't believe it. Someone posts that they have a nice system and what they've got and it turns into an ATI versus nVIDIA over next gen.

Calm down man... No one has really blasted SLi in fact most of the users who have posted here with the same mindset as me have said that SLi is fine and that we would be intrested in dabling in it some time.....When we say wait for R520 it may seem like we are ATI F A A N B O Y Z but in reality if we only knew about paper launch specs for the G70 we would be saying things along the lines of.

"I wouldnt get SLi now that the G70 is around the corner".
I know that when we say R520 it seems F A A N B O Y I S H but we just use that card since its the only one we have a vauge idea about.

Oh and nice Computer Man! I love clear cases but I am going to get that Tsunami case I love that thing!
 
{NG}Fidel said:
Calm down man... No one has really blasted SLi in fact most of the users who have posted here with the same mindset as me have said that SLi is fine and that we would be intrested in dabling in it some time.....When we say wait for R520 it may seem like we are ATI F A A N B O Y Z but in reality if we only knew about paper launch specs for the G70 we would be saying things along the lines of.

"I wouldnt get SLi now that the G70 is around the corner".
I know that when we say R520 it seems F A A N B O Y I S H but we just use that card since its the only one we have a vauge idea about.

Oh and nice Computer Man! I love clear cases but I am going to get that Tsunami case I love that thing!


precisely
 
killerD said:
I'll buy one of them off you for $200 in a couple months after R520 is out. ;)

Thing is, if you "wait until...." then you will always be waiting. This technlogy advances so fast. You can't keep up.

You basically have two kinds of computer enthusiests. The ones who buy everything as early as they can and enjoy it for longer. Those people spend more money on thier hobby more than likely. But they can feel top of the line for the longest.

The second group always wants to wait for the huge price drop, which is NEVER until the "Next" thing comes out. All in all these people are frugal and are looking for the best deal.

Both groups thinks the others are nuts.

Get what makes you happy and get the best hardware you can either afford or the best you are willing to spend money on and enjoy it.

In either case, more than likely a 6800GT or Ultra will be like the Ti4600 was. It had MASSIVE staying power. Even though cards advanced much past its life time, that card is still very usefull today.

Dual SLi Ultra's and GT's are likely to play games decently long after the single card has become low end. With that kind of scalability people who spent that much money on an SLi rig should have more staying power than single X850XT-PE owners will enjoy.

At least we can hope.

Even if some uber card comes out tommarow, it's not like there will be games to go with it for at least a year. So don't worry.
 
Makave7i Tha Don said:
oops, system specs, right.

Asus A8N SLI deluxe
AMD FX-55, xp120 heatsink
2 gig corsair pc3200 low latency ram, 2.5-3-3-6
2xBFG 6800 ultra OC pci-e
Sounblaster Audigy 4 pro
Custon enermax 600 watt power supply
2 74 gig raptors in raid
250 gig WD sata HDD
some japanese floppy drive, who cares
enermax 4 fan controller
Plextor PX-716SA sata DVD burner
Plextor Plexwriter premium cd burner
Sony DVD rom
various led fans and 2 cold cathodes
what are your scores on 3dmark03,05,and aquamark3???
 
i've never ran any of those before, scores dont' really concern me. It performs quite well in doom 3 and half life and farcry and all those games tho. That's what really concerns me
 
^ lol just for the heck of it, could u run 3DMark and see what you get?
 
i got 2x6800gts for 650 shipped.
amd 64 3200@2.2ghz 140
4x512 geil pc4000 220fsb 280
msi sli mobo 150
74gb raptor 140
pc power and cooling 510 deluxe 200
thermaltake case full tower 12 fans etc 150
so for 1800 bucks i have a sys that runs 9400+ 3DMARK05
pretty happy with it
 
A "system" usually requires a keyboard, mouse, monitor.. etc. What you have is refered to as a "box".. :eek:
 
Makave7i Tha Don said:
i've never ran any of those before, scores dont' really concern me. It performs quite well in doom 3 and half life and farcry and all those games tho. That's what really concerns me
Dude make us happy at the main screen in doom3 press ctrl alt ~ buttons at same time, console will drop down type timedemo demo1 usecache and wait for demo to complete and it will tell you what score you get that easy. :)
 
system has been on for multiple days, and i'm downloading a bunch of stuff from mirc and bittorrent in the background, that's why i can't turn it off. So i just ran the test as is on 3dmark03 and i got 21606
 
Makave7i Tha Don said:
system has been on for multiple days, and i'm downloading a bunch of stuff from mirc and bittorrent in the background, that's why i can't turn it off. So i just ran the test as is on 3dmark03 and i got 21606

:eek:
 
You can easily identify the comments iin this thread made by high-school kids working minimum wage jobs.

Who cares about if the price/performance ratio of other video cards is much higher?

Who cares if XXX is going to come out in XXX months and be XXX faster?

Some people can afford not to care. More power to them.
 
holy smokes, how much total in all did you spend on that rig? including everything... im guessing, at around 3-4k?
 
{NG}Fidel said:
At the current time I feel SLi is a waste when the new cards are around the corner. I think the prime to Buy a Sli Setup was when (When I say Sli I mean buying both cards at once) those Nvidia drivers that suported like 60 or 70 games came out. Before their was a massive lack of support for any games and untaped power resulted. Of course in my opinion (I want to try SLi looking into getting a a cheap SLi Rig) with new cards coming out I would just wait and see prices and performance and based off those statistics I would decide weather or not to go SLi or the new gen.

If you take that argument though, there is ALWAYS a decent reason to hold off. If I really wanted to I could probably go back and find reasons to procrastinate from a voodoo -> current generation. At some point you have to say I'm going to get the best available now, because I want to use it.

There have been a few times when there has been a definate reason though to hold off, the jump from 1x2d card alone, to 1x2d + 1 (or two if you want SLI)x3d being one of them, but at the moment, that's not the case.
 
I am 45 years old and could die of a stroke tommorow. I purchased and enjoy SLI some months ago and am loving every minute. I look forward to replacing my wide screen that i lost in a house fire and really stretching its legs again. The reason i mention the house fire is that i could just as easily have lost my life. Why wait for some future technology. Have fun , life is too short.

If a more power full solution arrrives i will probably buy that and sell the Ultras. Sure i will take loss on the cards but any type of entertainment comes at a price so I dont get the arguement.

Congrates man on your sli setup. I hope you enjoy it as much as i do mine
 
These "it only makes sense to wait" arguments are laughable.

If you knew for a fact that you could get comparable power for less money tomorrow, it might make sense to wait.

Do we know when the next gen cards will be available? No.

Do we know how the next gen cards will perform in comparison? No.

Do we know when AMR will be released, and how well it will work? No.

All we have are some guys hoping for a best case scenario where in a "couple of months, we'll get something faster for less money!". :rolleyes:

I've got news for the "hoping" crowd: life doesn't usually turn out in best case scenarios. So while you're wishing you had the performance the OP has, and hoping you'll be able to get it soon, he's living what you're wishing for. :cool:

I know which group I'd rather be in- and that's why I am. :)
 
Back
Top