"I'm happy with my current S775 setup" club

Nehalem doesn't really have anything to offer to me yet and because of how far pc tech is vs gaming there is no reason.

Running an e6700 at 3.0ghz for 2 years now. About to watercool and turn up the clock speeds though. I only game, so Nehelam might be justifiable next summer when its more mainstream and less expensive and more games are more capable of using multiple threads...

I am still on a am2.I am gonne be a happy S775 owner in january when my build is complete.
The i7 is just way to much money for me to be able to pay for.
I'll give it about 2 years then I might upgrade.I want to do my S775 build to where I shouldn't have to upgrade for 2 years.Sli mobo and 8gigs of ram hopefully

I'm very happy with mine, specs in sig. Other than video card upgrades, I don't see myself changing much of anything else, provided nothing fails.

Happy with the build in my sig... Video card is gonna be upgraded before anything else.... no need to upgrade anything else for quite a while me thinks.

After I get a new motherboard that isn't broken and get a Q9550 and 8 or 16gb of ram just to make it as future proof as possible I should be set for the begining of I7.

currently building this for my brother's birthday on saturday:

Q6600
Xigmatek HDT-S1283 with mounting bracket
Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R
OCZ SLI-Ready 2x1GB DDR2 800 (will add more ram whenever a really good 4gb deal comes out)eVGA dual-slot GeForce 9600 GSO 768MB DDR3 (will be the next thing to upgrade as I feel this may hold the system back)
OCZ SilentXStream 500W
Antec Three Hundred
Logitech EX110 Wireless Mouse and Keyboard (probably replacing with logitech mx5500 but I got this temporarily since all the decent priced mx5500's were in california)

I hope hope hope that the q6600 comes here friday if not saturday.. stupid ebay seller shipped it a day later than he told me.. well at least with live cashback it came out to $120 and he has a return replacement policy of 30 days.

I've been reading so much about the games to play, overclocking, etc. that I haven't been studying for the GREs that I take tomorrow.. :x

in the end, i am pretty sure i will be happy.. i have not played a game really since counterstrike 1.6 or so.

Can usually get this for under $85. G.SKILL F2-8000CL5D-4GBPQ PC2-8000 4GB 2X2GB DDR2-1000 CL5-5-5-15 240PIN Dual Channel Memory Kit

Same here! Maxed out too! All the worldy multitasking in nehalem wont fetch us high gains in gaming and who needs super multitasking PCs for home usage?

I dunno. I built an 8 core Opteron for VM/transcoding work..and general usage. Current S775 "build":

Q6600 @ 3.0GHz (pin mod)
2x2GB PC2-6400
3x160GB SATA in Matrix Raid-0 + Raid-5
Dual layer burner
8 channel audio w/optical mini-Toslink
8800M GTX 512MB
Wireless ABGN
Gigabit Ethernet
17" 1920x1200
...oh yeah...this is a Sager NP9262 laptop. The battery life is sub-45 minutes. It weighs 11.2lbs without the power brick, and almost 14lbs with it. It is currently the only recent (I say that because the other is a P4 Celeron based machine) Intel machine in the house. HTPC, Wife's machine, ESXi server, and new 8 core workstation are all AMD.

I dunno. I built an 8 core Opteron for VM/transcoding work..and general usage. Current S775 "build":

Q6600 @ 3.0GHz (pin mod)
2x2GB PC2-6400
3x160GB SATA in Matrix Raid-0 + Raid-5
Dual layer burner
8 channel audio w/optical mini-Toslink
8800M GTX 512MB
Wireless ABGN
Gigabit Ethernet
17" 1920x1200
...oh yeah...this is a Sager NP9262 laptop. The battery life is sub-45 minutes. It weighs 11.2lbs without the power brick, and almost 14lbs with it. It is currently the only recent (I say that because the other is a P4 Celeron based machine) Intel machine in the house. HTPC, Wife's machine, ESXi server, and new 8 core workstation are all AMD.

So are you going to go with Nahalem soon?

E8400 @ 3,6GHz
4GB DDR2-800
P965 MB (P5B Deluxe <3)
HD3870 --> HD4870 1GB soon

Wheres the "I dont have a s775" club, or the "I have a s775 but its not the rig being replaced by nehalem" club? :D (sM/478 for the laptop, the server doesnt count)

Laptop gets replaced by a much lesser XPS M1330, and I get to build a s1366 rig. My laptop as is is insufficient for gaming, and if Im changing it out I might as well modernize.

Q6600 @ 3.0GHz
4GB OCZ DDR2-800 RAM
Asus P5E (X38)
8800GTS 512MB
Vista Ultimate x64

I might consider upgrades of the graphics card or possibly RAM at some point, but no intention of moving from S775 for at least a couple of years.

Looks like now it is better to upgrade to a C2Q than to a Core i7 if you already have a C2D setup. The price of the mobo, RAM and CPU is too high but the performance gain clock for clock is not that big.

Close this club immediately and upgrade to Nehalems-ALL of you!!!

*Because I want to upgrade from my s939 rig and cheap used parts would be great! :D

*Because I want to upgrade from my s939 rig and cheap used parts would be great! :D

hahaha.....I guess intel delivered more than we expected. Even in games!!

still chugging along with an e6600.

will wait for the 8500/8600 to drop to US$100, pick that up. wait another year or so and then get whatever is out there.

economy just doesn't warrant a frivolous upgrade for me. :(

Personally, I'd take the Q6600 over the 8400/8500, but I guess it depends on what you're using it for.

Heck, I'm just joining the s775 club myself. My Q6600 and Asus P5Q are in the mail as we speak.

I'm in this club. Still on 939, but I have everything except the processor to build a s775. I decided to wait a few more weeks to see if I can get one cheap used from all the people who are upgrading :D

I'm terrifically happy with my system.

I'll be upgrading to Ci7 when I can plop down at least 12 GBs of DDR3 RAM for what it would cost me to do the same with DDR2 and when Windows 7 is out, stable, and working beautifully.

I will probably end up waiting for the tock then do a new build. Happy with my Q6600 for now.

Happy for now, unhappy when everyone has one. Will probably become a mATX adopter if prices are not restrictive then.

I can reasonably say I wont be touching or looking into an i7 system until next year. This dual-core cpu has enough power, maybe it might change after the next wave of GPU's, but thats a big if.

/sign me up

For me, I built this rig to last for the next two+ years. I'll hold off for a while and maybe upgrade RAM or my video card sometime during the next two+ years time frame. I really haven't been able to bring this system down to its knees yet with all the things I do.

very happy with my rig :) only thing i will be adding to this the foreseeable future is more hard-drives.

E8400 @ 4ghz
4gb DDR2 1000
Gigabyte UD3P
4870x2

Pretty happy... maybe go i7 when the 920 drops to around Q6600 next year :)

I plan on having Ci7 be my first Quad since the C2Q's never made any sense for me. The 920 looks so tempting but I am not planning on any computer upgrades until 32nm hits.

Check Sig Rig.

I'm happy with my dual LGA771 setup. I'm still buying Core i7 though. :)

I like my Q6600 setup, it plays the games and runs the programs I use.

Let me know when the 32nm quad/octo core chips with 4.0ghz stock clocks and a TPW of less then 40 hit the shelves, then it will be upgrade time.

How much moe life does the E6300 you would figure has left. I only want to play Dawn of War 2, SC 2, and Diablo 3 at this point.

If you overclock it, the chip should be good for at least another year. Old or not, the E6300 is far from a slow CPU if you clock it up.

Definitely happy with what I have just built. Budget was definitely kept in mind for this one.

Rig is in the Sig

setup in sig, pretty happy with my setup and will keep it awhile yet, hoping to get work to buy some i7 gear for "testing"

rig in sig... I'll plan to skip nehalem and go with a westmere, but history has shown that I will probably sell my yorkfield and pickup a nehalem sometime next year, lol, unless westmere comes out sooner than expected. Ideally, I'd wait for sandy bridge... but I'm a man without patience.

*raises hand*

Specs in sig :) Could use a new GPU down the road (probably next summer) but the CPU is doing great.

Back