"I'm happy with my current S775 setup" club

alg7_munif

Supreme [H]ardness
Post your spec here if you are happy with your current S775 setup and you won't be upgrading to Nahalem soon.

Mine:

3.2 GHz Quad core,
8GB RAM
X38 Mobo
HD4870 X2

I guess that I've maxed out any upgrade posibility for now and the next step would be a new system but I'll wait at least another year.

Same here! Maxed out too! All the worldy multitasking in nehalem wont fetch us high gains in gaming and who needs super multitasking PCs for home usage?

Sure, considering I just made this $500 build last month:
[email protected] w/Freezer Pro 7
4gb G.Skill ddr800
Gigabyte GA-EP45
AE650
HD3870 [I know, I know]

I've got some decent upgrade pathways over the next 6-12 months. Either a E8x00 or a cheaper Q9xxx down the road. Obviously the 3870 will be first to go. I'm ok as a non-Nehalem...for now

Unless u r heavily into cpu intensive tasks, buying Qxxx makes no sense, ask me i upgraded from E2140 and dont feel a major jump although PC feels smoother...
just a GPU upgrade to 4850 OC edition with dual cooler would be your best bet
Sure, considering I just made this $500 build last month:
[email protected] w/Freezer Pro 7
4gb G.Skill ddr800
Gigabyte GA-EP45
AE650
HD3870 [I know, I know]

I've got some decent upgrade pathways over the next 6-12 months. Either a E8x00 or a cheaper Q9xxx down the road. Obviously the 3870 will be first to go. I'm ok as a non-Nehalem...for now

Unless u r heavily into cpu intensive tasks, buying Qxxx makes no sense, ask me i upgraded from E2140 and dont feel a major jump although PC feels smoother...
just a GPU upgrade to 4850 OC edition with dual cooler would be your best bet

Agreed. The gpu goes before the end of the year and yeah the 4850 is my target although deals on 4870's and GTX260's could be tempting. I will need a new display too thought to appreciate the new gpu. I was merely implying down the road since I have low end cpu now I have room to grow on this platform

What's up with these "i am happy" threads? Some kind of group therapy? Besides that, i think there is a poll in this section about nehalem adoption rate. Either way, my name is George and i am happy with the setup in my sig:)!

What's up with these "i am happy" threads? Some kind of group therapy? Besides that, i think there is a poll in this section about nehalem adoption rate. Either way, my name is George and i am happy with the setup in my sig:)!

Hi George ;)

Same here! Maxed out too! All the worldy multitasking in nehalem wont fetch us high gains in gaming and who needs super multitasking PCs for home usage?

If you're still using 2GB of RAM, i would suggest you to get more RAM before DDR3 becomes the norm and DDR2 price will then rise. DDR2 is dirt cheap right now.

Hi George,

No, this is not a group therapy but it might help you sleep better at night knowing that you are not the only one who thinks that you don't need to upgrade to Nahalem soon. ;)

i got my q6600 setup last summer, and i just don't see the slight point in upgrading right now.Maybe a better video card at end of the year but thats about it.

[email protected]
abit ip35 pro
4gb Mushkin
8800gts 320mb

Post your spec here if you are happy with your current S775 setup and you won't be upgrading to Nahalem soon.

Mine:

3.2 GHz Quad core,
8GB RAM
X38 Mobo
HD4870 X2

I guess that I've maxed out any upgrade posibility for now and the next step would be a new system but I'll wait at least another year.

Dude that above setup of yours is completely top of the line :cool: Why would you even dare upgrade that for Nehalem right now ? Very kick ass rig you have :D

Now when the Intel X68 chipset comes out later, and some higher clocked i7's, sure that may be the time to upgrade like early 2010. I would rather not beta test the new X58 chipset just yet.

For me this weekend will have revised rig after selling some parts to my Brother, will be

- Q9650 3.0ghz Quad core
- 8gb Corsair XMS DDR2
- X48 Mobo
- GTX-280
- WD Velociraptor 150gb

currently building this for my brother's birthday on saturday:

Q6600
Xigmatek HDT-S1283 with mounting bracket
Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R
OCZ SLI-Ready 2x1GB DDR2 800 (will add more ram whenever a really good 4gb deal comes out)
eVGA dual-slot GeForce 9600 GSO 768MB DDR3 (will be the next thing to upgrade as I feel this may hold the system back)
OCZ SilentXStream 500W
Antec Three Hundred
Logitech EX110 Wireless Mouse and Keyboard (probably replacing with logitech mx5500 but I got this temporarily since all the decent priced mx5500's were in california)

I hope hope hope that the q6600 comes here friday if not saturday.. stupid ebay seller shipped it a day later than he told me.. well at least with live cashback it came out to $120 and he has a return replacement policy of 30 days.

I've been reading so much about the games to play, overclocking, etc. that I haven't been studying for the GREs that I take tomorrow.. :x

in the end, i am pretty sure i will be happy.. i have not played a game really since counterstrike 1.6 or so.

Very happy with my desktop setup, wont be changing for a while (Blu-Ray to x264 MP4 transcode at full 1080p res takes its toll though, would like it to be quicker than 12h)

Vista Ultimate 64bit
Q6700 @ 3.2GHz (400x8) @ 1.33v
Asus P35 chipset board
4GB (2x2) PC800 4-4-4-12 RAM @ 1.9v
nVidia 8800GTS 512
Single 750GB Samsung HDD

I tried raid0 and did not get a big speed boost so stuck with a single drive and using the others for backup.
All the above is water cooled using a custom kit.

These threads are necessary for those of us who aren't quite as [H]ard as the others and like to build once every few years or so. And I'm still happy with my build.

E6750 at 3.2Ghz
Abit IP35-E
4GB Crucial Ballistix
BFG 8800GT
Raptor 74GB
WD 250 GB 16MB 7200RPM
Vista 64

If I had S775 I would probably be happy with it. However the old S478 P4 AGP machine just doesn't have the epeen factor that it once did. Therefore core i7 here I come.

I do, :) I love multitasking! However, I have no intention of upgrading for quite some time ( at least a year).

Q6600, 2gb ram Xp pro, Biostar 7100 with a 19" crt (wifes Favs), EA380 - all you could ask for !
Running 4 folding at home clients, 90%load.

Well this is satisfied S775 owners club, S478 owners can go to the respective club. ;)

I'm on the fence here. My current setup gives me zero problems, but I just like building a new computer every once in a while.

My main rig:
Q6600 G0
Asus P5B Deluxe (horrible board)
4gb DDR2 + Lots of Hard Drives

Happy with the specs, but the board sucks balls. Very quirky, horrid vdroop, not particularly stable, not a great overclocker, not even a very good overclocker (the chip is, the boards not). I have an e8400 and will probably grab a P5Q Pro and do a re-build. I just hate re-installing all my applications then it takes me a month to get everything tweaked how I like it.

If I had jumped on the quad core bandwagon early like some of you have I would probably be joining the club. I didn't and that is why I am happily making the move to i7 on launch.

Shit, I just built my first s775 system (came from a s939 opteron system), so this thing had BETTER keep me happy for a while :cool:

You will downgrade to 6GB of RAM though ;)
Not really. The memory will be much faster. I have been using this E6600 in this system since 2006 so I got my use out of it IMO. I'm ready to move to something really new and crazy fast.

I am pretty happy with the q6600 system I have running right now, my next buy will be a 24" monitor in the next month and probably a new video card in the next few months following that.

I'll probably upgrade to i7 when prices drop, but for now my current rig is fine.

I am currently happy with S775, my sig listed below:

q6600 @ 3.2 GHz
6GB RAM
P5W DH Deluxe
HD4870 X2

I game @ 1900 x 1200.

Happy with my sig rig. A new vid card, and possibly mobo for SLI, is in my future though.

My Q9550 at 3.8GHz isn't going anywhere for a while :D. It's pretty hard to beat my current CPU's power. I won't rule out RAM or video card upgrades in the future though (I will be going up to 8GB and either a second 4870 for CF or a new fast video card at some point in the future).

I'm plenty happy with the machine in my sig. I've got no plans to upgrade to i7 until the die shrink. If I feel it is slow at any point, I'll turn up the clock speed.

I'm sure I'll end up building plenty of i7 machines for others though.

heres a bunch of questions i have about my 775 setup that i dont feel like starting a thread about and am too lazy to google

i notice a lot of people are going to 8gb...is there a big performance increase in regards to gaming?

i run my ddr2-800 at 667mhz to maintain 1:1 with FSB...would i be better off just running it at 800mhz disregarding the 1:1? (i would also have to raise the voltage from 1.8v to 2.2v to achieve this)

i've been told i wouldnt notice a difference running at 3.6ghz instead of my 3ghz is this true? to run this i would have to raise vcore to 1.475 and raise my northbridge voltage to 1.3 for stability. i like my 30c idle temps the way they are

thanks in advance

i notice a lot of people are going to 8gb...is there a big performance increase in regards to gaming?
No difference.
i run my ddr2-800 at 667mhz to maintain 1:1 with FSB...would i be better off just running it at 800mhz disregarding the 1:1? (i would also have to raise the voltage from 1.8v to 2.2v to achieve this)
There will be very little difference, although it would probably perform a little better. IMO, it isn't really worth the effort.
i've been told i wouldnt notice a difference running at 3.6ghz instead of my 3ghz is this true? to run this i would have to raise vcore to 1.475 and raise my northbridge voltage to 1.3 for stability. i like my 30c idle temps the way they are
Idle temps don't matter. As for whether or not you'll notice a difference, the fact is that for most general tasks, there won't be much of one. It'll help if you do CPU-intensive stuff like video or audio encoding though. Whether or not it's worth running at the higher speed is up to you.

heres a bunch of questions i have about my 775 setup that i dont feel like starting a thread about and am too lazy to google

thanks in advance

Drop your multiplier to 8x so that you can get to 3.2GHz and use 1:1 RAM divider just like how I did. I think that your CPU can handle 3.2GHz with minimal voltage bump or even without any bump.

Regarding the 8GB, DDR2 is dirt cheap now and its price will go up again later once DDR3 becomes the norm.

Back