Ikea desk gallery

So whats the deal with all the recent ragging on the Galant stability/build quality?

1) are the T-legs stable or not? I am going to be using them on carpet in an old cheapo house so I don't know if the floor is 101% level, Can I just shim up one or two legs and level it that way or is it an unfixable crap shoot?

2) Does the finish on the brown-black really run/streak?

3) how is the overall quality of these desks? Usage = 3x 24" monitors, 1x PC (I7 950, CM212, 560TI twinfrozr, fractal R3~), keyboard, mouse + me leaning on it to type.

Now, I have never built one of these and I have to build it piece meal to get the color I want so... does this look right?

6) is it possible to build just the frame first and leaving the table tops off? I don't have a ton of leeway with wiggle room (it is an odd shaped room due to me literally having my office in my closet). I was hoping it is possible to build the frame standing up and not have to flip the entire desk in one piece.

E.g. Build frame in the spot its supposed to be, lay table tops on it, screw them down, done... or does the table actually have to be built and flipped as one piece.

I bought the beach color Galant desk you have in your picture about 5 or 6 years ago.

The T legs are very stable. I found the peg leg's a bit wobbly. The desk does move a bit but nothing bad.

I cannot speak to the finish on the brown color. I went with the lighter color to avoid streaks or any damage showing up so easily.

I have 3 24" monitors, keyboard mouse and various other things on the desk and it is perfectly fine.

When I recently moved houses I built the frame standing up and then laid the wood down on top of it. No issues but having something to rest the frame on while you put the legs under them can help a bit. I put the whole thing together in about 10 minutes.

So whats the deal with all the recent ragging on the Galant stability/build quality?

I am going to be buying mine in a few months but I can't justify a $650 delivered desk that may or may not wobble... (yes, to be fair that price includes a rolling drawer)

1) are the T-legs stable or not? I am going to be using them on carpet in an old cheapo house so I don't know if the floor is 101% level, Can I just shim up one or two legs and level it that way or is it an unfixable crap shoot?

2) Does the finish on the brown-black really run/streak?

3) how is the overall quality of these desks? Usage = 3x 24" monitors, 1x PC (I7 950, CM212, 560TI twinfrozr, fractal R3~), keyboard, mouse + me leaning on it to type.

4) Does the Summera holder fit a Fractal R3? (20" 1/2 L x 8" 1/4 W x 17" 2/5 H -- more need room for top mounted exhaust fans though so round it to 20-23 H" I am guessing)

5) I'm going to be buying THIS 63"x78" desk (except in black-brown, which stupidly isn't listed)
http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/S49807553/#/S69807552

Now, I have never built one of these and I have to build it piece meal to get the color I want so... does this look right?

my shopping cart:
GqCz2cX.png

Itemized list:

1x GALANT Table top with frame, black-brown (398.477.76) $129.00
TWO packages: 600.568.81 & 801.052.44​

1x GALANT Extension top with frame, black-brown (698.374.79) $70.00
TWO packages: 100.568.88 & 901.052.67​

3x Galant T-Leg, Silver (200.569.15) $40/each
THREE T-Legs: 200.569.15​

6) is it possible to build just the frame first and leaving the table tops off? I don't have a ton of leeway with wiggle room (it is an odd shaped room due to me literally having my office in my closet). I was hoping it is possible to build the frame standing up and not have to flip the entire desk in one piece.

E.g. Build frame in the spot its supposed to be, lay table tops on it, screw them down, done... or does the table actually have to be built and flipped as one piece.

the space I am working with for reference
ZYjDKAd.png

Also, does anyone own something similar to mine with triple monitors on ARMS (not desk stands)? If so can you post a picture so I can get a general Idea?

Nice use of space.

I bought the beach color Galant desk you have in your picture about 5 or 6 years ago.

The T legs are very stable. I found the peg leg's a bit wobbly. The desk does move a bit but nothing bad.

I cannot speak to the finish on the brown color. I went with the lighter color to avoid streaks or any damage showing up so easily.

I have 3 24" monitors, keyboard mouse and various other things on the desk and it is perfectly fine.

When I recently moved houses I built the frame standing up and then laid the wood down on top of it. No issues but having something to rest the frame on while you put the legs under them can help a bit. I put the whole thing together in about 10 minutes.

I have the slanted legs rather then the T's for my Galant. I've been running IKEA desks for years, starting back when it was part of the EFFEKTIV set. The EFFEKTIV desk turned into the Galant a little while back.

The Effectiv had my favorite frame, it went around the edge of the desk with straight legs in each corner.
IKEA_DESK_L2.jpg

When I started to move to monitor arms though for my LCD's I had issues clamping them because it would hit that frame. Couple that with a home move and I decided to switch from Effektiv to the Galant series.

We'd had T-legged Galants at my old office for years and I found the T-leggs would loosen up over time as people leaned on the edges of the desk making them wobble...it was really annoying... so I went with the slanted legs. They desk doesn't wobble at all if you make sure all your legs are the same length and your floor is level.

....yeah, its messy, but hey, I work from home...that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it. ;) This is to show scale - that PLP layout is 21"x30"x21".

Can I ask what chair that is, pretty please? :) I can see it's not an Aero but it's similar, was just curious, thanks.

It is an Aeron with the upgraded back support, I just changed the grey pellicle to black myself while keeping the frame when I had to replace a rip once.

Last edited:
I've never noticed my desk to wobble that's weird. those damn slant legs would always loosen on me. t legs haven't budged since assembled in the new house in over 2 years.

Peg legs? Are there two types of T-legs or are you talking about the A legs?

Used the wrong term for em, the A Legs. When looking at the floor model the A legs just didnt look or feel as stable to me.

I have the slanted legs rather then the T's for my Galant. I've been running IKEA desks for years, starting back when it was part of the EFFEKTIV set. The EFFEKTIV desk turned into the Galant a little while back.

The Effectiv had my favorite frame, it went around the edge of the desk with straight legs in each corner.
IKEA_DESK_L2.jpg

When I started to move to monitor arms though for my LCD's I had issues clamping them because it would hit that frame. Couple that with a home move and I decided to switch from Effektiv to the Galant series.

We'd had T-legged Galants at my old office for years and I found the T-leggs would loosen up over time as people leaned on the edges of the desk making them wobble...it was really annoying... so I went with the slanted legs. They desk doesn't wobble at all if you make sure all your legs are the same length and your floor is level.

Nice, the edge frame does look nice but not quite as clean as the current frame. I do like it though.

In an office environment with that type of use I could see that. Mine have not loosened up at all and overall it is very stable. For home use I suspect both leg types are fine. I personally like the T legs more aesthetically as well as seeming more stable but I have nothing to base the stability off of other than an abused floor model lol.

^^^

I need this desk.... When I am in town, I work from home and this desk is perfect for everything I need!

Apologies for the horrible picture quality. I'll see if I can get better. The home office is still a "WIP".

desks1_zps5a030806.jpeg

Two Dell 30's on the longer one, a single (older) 37 Westinghouse on the shorter one.

Apologies for the horrible picture quality. I'll see if I can get better. The home office is still a "WIP".

Two Dell 30's on the longer one, a single (older) 37 Westinghouse on the shorter one.

What size are the two different "table tops". I am trying to figure out which size I want. The larger of the two looks about right. I know, I know, I need to go to Ikea and just see the options but just haven't had a chance and have been just perusing the website. Lastly, do you find the Ullrik's useful? Again one of the things I was eyeing up, or the similar drawer unit.

What size are the two different "table tops". I am trying to figure out which size I want. The larger of the two looks about right. I know, I know, I need to go to Ikea and just see the options but just haven't had a chance and have been just perusing the website. Lastly, do you find the Ullrik's useful? Again one of the things I was eyeing up, or the similar drawer unit.

These are the Akerby's (since they discontinued the better Numerar's). Long one is 96 7/8 inches long, and the shorter is 73 1/4 inches long.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50153774/#/90153772

I like the Ullriks, but I do have an issue. While my case (some kind of Corsair) fits in their height-wise, the Ullrik is not deep enough for it and the wires. I'm sure a smaller case would fit just fine though, but for any larger size desktop, you won't really have the depth needed for it to properly fit. Right now, I have a little garbage can on one side, and on the other, I have some of my external hd's hooked up to a usb hub.

Used the wrong term for em, the A Legs. When looking at the floor model the A legs just didnt look or feel as stable to me.

Nice, the edge frame does look nice but not quite as clean as the current frame. I do like it though.

In an office environment with that type of use I could see that. Mine have not loosened up at all and overall it is very stable. For home use I suspect both leg types are fine. I personally like the T legs more aesthetically as well as seeming more stable but I have nothing to base the stability off of other than an abused floor model lol.

Yeah, the new Galant frames are a LOT easier to work with... the legs on the Effektiv edge frame had three parts and each of the frames itself had to screw into specific spots on the desk itself to make the corners where the legs went. Much easier to assemble the Galant.

My cable management behind the desk sucks balls... but inside my case it is super tidy :D

My Galant with 3x27" monitors. Printer is hidden behind the monitors. Yes, I have compressed air, screen cleaner, and isopropyl ready on my desk should the need to be OCD arises :)
desk_zps3cc1fa4b.jpg

One odd thing about my speaker setup on this desk... my speakers used to be directly facing me on either side of my primary (center) monitor... now that they are way out in the wings, they sound SO MUCH BETTER o_O!

Inspired by this thread, I just setup my home office with a Galant system!

My galant setup: a corner + 2 extensions on each side and a half round on the narrower end. will add pictures once I complete the office ;).

I would like some advice regarding the desk height. I currently have it at the default T leg height @ 26 inches (from floor to table top). Although a bit lower than normal (29-30?), this height is perfect ergonomically when I use the keyboard/mouse on the table top.

So what's your Galant desk height?

Last edited:
Hey is it possible to order the Galant frame without the table top? I have my own desktop surface I can use, I just need legs and a way to attach them to the existing desk surface. I was going to use Galant t-legs.

Hey is it possible to order the Galant frame without the table top? I have my own desktop surface I can use, I just need legs and a way to attach them to the existing desk surface. I was going to use Galant t-legs.

i would think so. either go to the store and only pickup the lets or check online with only the legs.

the wood came completely separate for me.

Well, I got the ultimate Ikea desk, Jerker via craigslist. Ran me $70, and it is in terrible shape. But it came with a side shelf and I have some ideas.

Well here's the start.

vdM2XgWl.jpg

Rew1Upcl.jpg

Going flat black with the entire frame.

Currently drying with 1 full coat, and a touch up coat.

Will hit it 1 more time tomorrow in the morning and it will be good to assemble by the end of the day Friday.

Tomorrow I might meet with my cabinet designer and have him put a new veneer on the desk top and shelf. Not sure what I am going to do there yet.

Will post updates.

Cheers

My brand new Fredde! Still need to do a little more cable management, but I love this desk so far.

Well, I got the ultimate Ikea desk, Jerker via craigslist. Ran me $70, and it is in terrible shape. But it came with a side shelf and I have some ideas.

Well here's the start.

vdM2XgWl.jpg

Rew1Upcl.jpg

Going flat black with the entire frame.

Currently drying with 1 full coat, and a touch up coat.

Will hit it 1 more time tomorrow in the morning and it will be good to assemble by the end of the day Friday.

Tomorrow I might meet with my cabinet designer and have him put a new veneer on the desk top and shelf. Not sure what I am going to do there yet.

Will post updates.

Cheers
I been saying that for some time now, I have 4 Jerkers from Craigslist, would like to see your final desk build.

My brand new Fredde! Still need to do a little more cable management, but I love this desk so far.

Nice glad to see another pic set up with this desk, I remember posting a pic of this desk up way before it even came out, still thinking about gettin' that for my son.:D

Back