Ikea desk gallery

You should be able to fit it just fine. Here is some photos of my Galant holding 3x30" 3008WFP's and an FT02 all on the desk top. All the monitors and PC tower are on the main Galant portion so it'd be tight if I didn't have the two extension pieces to the right.

I've since moved from the FT02 to a LL X2000F and have the X2000F in different location not on the desk itself:

http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1036705096&postcount=270

Whoa the pencil marks on my wall make it look bigger than it is or you have huge house/monitors

are these the dimensions of your desk?

ORVbZ.jpg

green: 80 CM
yellow : 160CM
pink: 120CM
red: 60CM

the blue part is an extension?

Do i just need the base desk + http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/S89821547/
Do i need an extra leg (if I add a 1 more extension the base 160x120CM desk?)

with that part it would make it a 160CM x 200CM?

Whoa the pencil marks on my wall make it look bigger than it is or you have huge house/monitors

are these the dimensions of your desk?

http://i.imgur.com/ORVbZ.jpg

green: 80 CM
yellow : 160CM
pink: 120CM
red: 60CM

the blue part is an extension?

Do i just need the base desk + http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/S89821547/
Do i need an extra leg (if I add a 1 more extension the base 160x120CM desk?)

with that part it would make it a 160CM x 200CM?

I have the standard (current generation) Galant desk plus two extensions.

All of your marks and measurements are accurate. If you're planning to add just one extension, Cyberkost is correct that you'll only need the standard three legs. You'll need to buy the extension plus the extension frame. I opted for a fourth leg because I have a second extension - although I'm fairly sure I could've still gotten away with just three legs so I don't place anything heavy on the extensions anyways. Still, better safe than sorry.

Hope that helps.

This is the Galant layout I used for my new home office:

IMG_20110729_202851 by newjerseydan, on Flickr

I was originally going to off-load my older Effektiv (almost the same as Galant) desk, but turns out my father decided he loves it too, lol.

Summera CPU holder worth it for a galant corner desk 160x200CM? (1 extension on 200CM side)

I use a Fractal R3 with 1 top mounted fan (others are 2 intake, 1 back exhaust):

Case:
18 inches high
9 inches wide
20.5" long (feet 17" apart)
probably 20-25lb of gear inside it.

Summera:

length: 17 3/4 "
width: 9 7/8 "
Height: 22 "

Would 4" of clearance be enough for a top fan to properly cool a I7 950 (stock clocks + Hyper 212+), MSI 560TI 880mhz twinfrozr II,)

Would another Summera make a good holder for UPS / Router / Modem? or is there a better solution for this? what do you guys use to hold networking equipment and other computing goods?

I also don't like stuff touching my legs at the desk so if the mounting points are close to the curve of the desk lemme know :)

thanks.

Sucks that in Vancouver Canada this desk is going to cost me around $469 CAD after delivery / taxes as the nearest Ikea that stocks it is 15-19 KM drive.

how much muscle does it take to flip these things once you build them? looks like a 220 LB desk.

final thing before I shut up:

whats the measurement on this green line?

DERtz.png

Last edited:
Summera CPU holder worth it for a galant corner desk 160x200CM? (1 extension on 200CM side)

I use a Fractal R3 with 1 top mounted fan (others are 2 intake, 1 back exhaust):

Case:
18 inches high
9 inches wide
20.5" long (feet 17" apart)
probably 20-25lb of gear inside it.

Summera:

length: 17 3/4 "
width: 9 7/8 "
Height: 22 "

Would 4" of clearance be enough for a top fan to properly cool a I7 950 (stock clocks + Hyper 212+), MSI 560TI 880mhz twinfrozr II,)

nadesico158, a friend of mine uses a pretty similar setup. Here's something you might not like about it (something I don't like about his): with Summera being only 17.75" deep and feet of the case being 17" apart, you will have NO room to adjust how deep the case sits (how far back can you push it). In my friend's situation, the case sticks out in front too much (too easy to bump into and not very aesthetically pleasing) .. so the critical parameter here is how much of the case is in front of its front feet.

4" above the case should be plenty for the top fan.

For other equipment (but not for UPS) -- you can screw or cable-tie it onto the bottom of the desktop (toward the back). There are some neat ideas to be found here: http://www.ikeahackers.net/

I have an old Jerker I am in the process of refinishing. I will post pics when done. Thanks for the posts, been a fan of the thread for a while.

How are people liking the Fredrik series desk?

I literally have no room on my desk and looking for a Jerker alternative; the Fredrik looks good but the price+shipping is something to be desired.

How are people liking the Fredrik series desk?

I literally have no room on my desk and looking for a Jerker alternative; the Fredrik looks good but the price+shipping is something to be desired.

Love mine. Picked it up for $40 on craigslist. (Old picture, cable management is much better now)

mk0AF.jpg

hey guys, an Ikea Jerker question for anyone with the first version...

did the first iteration of the jerker come in a beech colorway?

reason im asking is that i have the birch (with silver supports) color, and have the opportunity to buy the extra shelf attachment ...only problem is im not sure the exact color. the seller can't remember and his pictures suck.

if it helps, the supports on his extra shelf are black.

id check it out myself, but its about an 1.5 hour drive away from my house and would rather not make that journey to only come up with a busted mission. in hopes to save time (and gas!) im hoping someone can help me out.

thanks in advance!

Hello guys! I own a 120x80 ikea galant with T-legs. due to space i had to build a monitor riser to place above a denon amplifier and to place some speakers on. Unfortunately now the whole desk is quite wobbly and bounces a little back and forth whenever it catches some vibration. It is sitting on a quite thick carpet and unfortunately the quite old wooden floor beneath is not even. Though the desk has been here for 3 years and never bounced this much. Would changing the legs to A-Leg solve m y problem? I even tough on moving to a Vika desk with fixed legs, but i dont have enough space as i need around 80cm depth and a max of 130cm wide.

Here is a pic of the desk...

QZrP7.jpg

Hello guys! I own a 120x80 ikea galant with T-legs. due to space i had to build a monitor riser to place above a denon amplifier and to place some speakers on. Unfortunately now the whole desk is quite wobbly and bounces a little back and forth whenever it catches some vibration. It is sitting on a quite thick carpet and unfortunately the quite old wooden floor beneath is not even. Though the desk has been here for 3 years and never bounced this much. Would changing the legs to A-Leg solve m y problem? I even tough on moving to a Vika desk with fixed legs, but i dont have enough space as i need around 80cm depth and a max of 130cm wide.

Here is a pic of the desk...

http://i.imgur.com/QZrP7.jpg

Yes, in theory, it should be more rigid with A legs (4 points of support vs. 2 with T-legs). However, I'd first check that it's not your monitor stand that wobbles and I'd also check how tightly the T-legs are attached. Please make your picture smaller.

Yes, in theory, it should be more rigid with A legs (4 points of support vs. 2 with T-legs). However, I'd first check that it's not your monitor stand that wobbles and I'd also check how tightly the T-legs are attached. Please make your picture smaller.

Nop, the support is as tight as it gets, so are the t legs. I guess im upgrading to a-legs then...

Update to my Ikea desk, added a couple ikea brackets/shelf kit to support my new speakers, really turned out nice. Even put a coat of sealer on them to match the desk!

kFeFP.jpg

-Patrick

hmm i want to try that :) which shelves are those?

Made up from two different ikea products. They didn't come like that though, the brackets were from the kitchen dept. and the shelf I found on my way out. Had to cut the shelf to fit the speakers, then put a coat of clear satin urethane so they would match the rest of the desk. Also needed to pick up a new bolt to bolt them to the brackets at Home Depot. Took very little time to piece together and just measured and screwed them to the desk. Much sturdier than I expected. They could easily hold a much heavier speaker.

Link to what I bought from Ikea:
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40051196/
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/30094629/

Took very little work, and less then $20, and I am very happy with how it turned out.

why did you have to get a new bolt?

If you look at the image on the ikea website, I have them flipped. The four screws now act as the base portion that attaches to the desk. The circular plate that attaches to the other end is designed to go through a top that is 1 5/8" or thicker. I needed something that would screw into that existing hole but still remain short enough to sit under the speaker, a 1" bolt was able to accomplish that. It fits through the shelf I used and allows me to rotate the speaker stands if I want to. The longer bolt would go through the base of the speaker.

UNU97.jpg

oh hmmm my speaker would sit flat on whatever they are on. do your speakers have a gap on the bottom somehow?

oh hmmm my speaker would sit flat on whatever they are on. do your speakers have a gap on the bottom somehow?

Yeah, my speakers have 4 rubber feet that elevate them about a 1/4".

If you didn't want to mount them the way I did then you could reverse them and bolt them through your desk, but it wouldn't rotate like mine do now. But the top piece would be flush.

Does anyone have any recommendations for mounting speakers underneath a Jerker shelf?

The speakers are about 5.5 inches tall and 8.5 inches wide (on their sides). They take up too much desk space and there's no room on top of the shelf. I'm looking for a couple of the original side shelves but trying to find an alternative.

Thanks!

Back