Ikea desk gallery

There's a steel frame under the particle board .. so it'll likely hold the weight.
A-legs are better from stability standpoint, but T-legs are better ergonomically (you won't bump your knees into them nearly as often if you use a chair on casters)

i know it can take 225lb, as i have stood on mine before

Need a bit of advise if you guys dont mind.
This is my current setup:

wp000073.jpg

I will be buying a round extension for the right side tomorrow to move my imac down.

And I am buying 3x 24" monitors for eyefinity.
However, my 42" plasma now has to move.
I have a 2.1 system I've added since that photo so obviously for acoustic reasons I want to keep my plasma where it is, but raise it above the monitors that will be infront.

I can't drill into the walls (crazy rental thing) so no wall-mount, because that would be too easy.

I'm thinking of just getting some sort of shelf unit and just placing the plasma on top of it.
However, I can't find anything both the right size and sturdy enough to trust placing my plasma on top of.

I need it raised by about 21-24 inches. I found this shelf unit (http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20135300#/60135299/) but its 31" inches tall which is a bit higher than I would like, probably won't give the best viewing experience for movies and the like.

Any ideas? Thanks

Love the cutesy little Mac keyboard behind the big gaming setup :)

I think I am going to get the Galant from Ikea sometime next week but I wanted some advice from an owner. As of now I have decided on getting a corner piece, one extension on both sides, as well as half circles on each end. I want to have all that on just three T legs. Do you guys think I might run into a problem with stability?

I hope my description was good enough to give you a good image of what I want. If I do end up getting the desk I will be sure to post pictures on here once I get everything set up. Thanks

I think I am going to get the Galant from Ikea sometime next week but I wanted some advice from an owner. As of now I have decided on getting a corner piece, one extension on both sides, as well as half circles on each end. I want to have all that on just three T legs. Do you guys think I might run into a problem with stability?

I hope my description was good enough to give you a good image of what I want. If I do end up getting the desk I will be sure to post pictures on here once I get everything set up. Thanks

I had the same setup without the rounds and think it will be fine with just the three t legs.

mc1.JPG

(Posted in workstation thread but decided to post here too :) )

I just redesigned my computer area so I took a few quick pictures to post. I haven't quite finished perfecting everything and I still have a little cable management to do, but its almost there. My new Galant desk is great, I would recommend it to anyone. I would also recommend my TV mount I just got from monoprice.com. For $40, it really is the quality of a $200 mount.

There isn't too much on the side of the room that's not in the pictures, just my surround speakers and a bed(soon to be moved to make room for a couch).

img1035pi.jpg

img1042b.jpg

img1038pp.jpg

img1039nz.jpg

img1037zr.jpg

Modem and Router hidden under desk

img1050bq.jpg

img1045eu.jpg

new-desk..JPG

I'll take better pictures and post them later, I picked up the Galant file cabinet (which was a PITA to put together) and some other stuff.

Need a bit of advise if you guys dont mind.
This is my current setup:

http://img576.imageshack.us/img576/8866/wp000073.jpg

I will be buying a round extension for the right side tomorrow to move my imac down.

And I am buying 3x 24" monitors for eyefinity.
However, my 42" plasma now has to move.
I have a 2.1 system I've added since that photo so obviously for acoustic reasons I want to keep my plasma where it is, but raise it above the monitors that will be infront.

I can't drill into the walls (crazy rental thing) so no wall-mount, because that would be too easy.

I'm thinking of just getting some sort of shelf unit and just placing the plasma on top of it.
However, I can't find anything both the right size and sturdy enough to trust placing my plasma on top of.

I need it raised by about 21-24 inches. I found this shelf unit (http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20135300#/60135299/) but its 31" inches tall which is a bit higher than I would like, probably won't give the best viewing experience for movies and the like.

Any ideas? Thanks
Put a couple STOLMEN posts behind your desk and mount the TV to those instead of the wall. Check ikeahackers.net for ideas.

Put a couple STOLMEN posts behind your desk and mount the TV to those instead of the wall. Check ikeahackers.net for ideas.

What sucks is that the Stolmen stuff now comes powder coated in a creamy white color. I had to spend a few days with a bunch of aircraft paint stripped to get them back to bare aluminum.

mc33.JPG

new-desk..JPG

I'll take better pictures and post them later, I picked up the Galant file cabinet (which was a PITA to put together) and some other stuff.

What is the desk surface made of? Pressboard?

i wouldn't see why not. as long as the frame matches up. compare in ikea to make sure :)

I have the 63 inch long galant desk, this one: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S89842465 and i want to turn it into the an L shape desk. Do i have to buy a whole new desk or can the Galant series pieces be put together to form the L desk like this: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S99836058

has anyone added to their galant desk?

The frame of your desk is only "mates" along the longer dimension of the desk. You can get another rectangular Galant, adjust the height and arrange them in an L shape. The standard Galant L piece has a special L underframe.

You don't strip powdercoating with aircraft stripper. Powdercoating isn't really "paint".

Easiest way to strip powercoating is by spraying it with Permatex Gasket Remover. It will soften it right up and you can wipe it off.

A0800210-Gasket-Remover.jpg

You don't strip powdercoating with aircraft stripper. Powdercoating isn't really "paint".

Easiest way to strip powercoating is by spraying it with Permatex Gasket Remover. It will soften it right up and you can wipe it off.

A0800210-Gasket-Remover.jpg

I have heard the same thing. However it is not sold in an aerosol can anywhere around here. All they have around here is a little bottle with brush attached.

Older ikea desk here, one I haven't seen in the thread. Forget the name.

GoNTOh.jpg

Home Depot / Lowes and the like sell them as well. each shelf holds 250lbs :eek: they run about 30$

Back